• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else going back to old school CRT gaming.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Have RGB modded my import US N64 and have connected it to my newly bought 14inch Sony Trinitron and the old gaming feeling came sweeping back.
Have also got some RGB scart cables for my modded Wii (playing SNES games at 240p with a SNES gamepad) and one for my Xbox 360. Halo looks awesome.
At this rate I'm going to have to invest in a scart switch box.

I also have a RGB Scart cable coming for my Raspberry Pi 4 which will give native 240p output via the gpio port. Should look perfect.

Yes I've got a big OLED but there is something about playing the games as they were meant to be played. CRT looks incredible.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You and I are the same lol, you can check my setup here if you want to.

Best part is the modded Wii. Being able to use those gamepads that came with the NES Mini and the SNES Mini is the cherry on top. Btw, check out the emulator WiiStation if you want to emulate some PS1 games there too, they released a new version a few months ago and it works perfectly. We talked about that over here.

I've even considered building an "old PC", with a CRT monitor and old components. Would be the shit, but I think I've already dedicated a good chunk of my house to videogames so I'm holding back. :goog_relieved:

I have a 27" Toshiba CRT with some modding and recalibration looks decent. All of my old consoles are hooked up to it with a mix of composite, component, and s-video switchers. The kids get a kick out of playing on the "old TV".

0uNLg86.jpeg

reinking

Gold Member
I have a 27" Toshiba CRT with some modding and recalibration looks decent. All of my old consoles are hooked up to it with a mix of composite, component, and s-video switchers. The kids get a kick out of playing on the "old TV".

0uNLg86.jpeg
I have that same TV for CRT gaming. I went to buy a Sony and the Toshiba was sitting next to it. The Toshiba picture looked better so I walked out with it. I have held on to it all of these years.

violence

I tried but man the CRT’s I was able to find aren’t that great. Emulation with a CRT Royal shader (on OLED) is hard to beat for me.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I've got an old Commodore 1702 that I've been using for a while now, but looking to upgrade to a Sony PVM one of these days.

Once I find some setup space, that is. My play areas are too small!

Crayon

I was having a good think about it a few years back but I just cannot justify the space in our apartment.

Ulysses 31

Hell naw, CRT screens are too small and too bulky.

RetroTink 4K filters do a good enough job for me.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

I don't have the space for a crt but I play upscaled 6th and 7th gen and also really like my analogue pocket. I use pocket sync and it elevates that console fun factor to 110%

So I'm currently playing Final Fantasy adventure, Castlevania circle of the moon and mother 3 with fans translation.

Ecotic

So, I fell down the CRT rabbit hole earlier this year for the first time and wanted a first-rate Trinitron really badly. But, I encountered so many problems and my dream got crushed.

To begin with, I learned if you stay vigilant on Facebook Marketplace, you can find someone giving one away for free fairly regularly, but you have to be lightning quick before others see it. Twice, I was on the way to pick it up when the seller messaged me and said someone else offered them money for it, and that I couldn't have it anymore. The next problem was that the person giving it away probably has no clue about geometry, burn-in, or hours used and will not be helpful besides saying "it works fine", and asking them for detailed pictures on a free tv will probably kill your opportunity to get it, and someone else will swoop in and get the tv. So you're going to have to rent a truck or trailer, bring along a friend or family member to help you move it, drive potentially many hours away, all for just for the chance to see it in person and decide if you want it. Now, I did have access to a minivan with space enough in the back to fit a 32-inch CRT, but it very often happened that I'd have a chance to get a tv, but couldn't find anyone on the spur of the moment to come help me move it, so I lost the chance to get the tv.

Once everything came together, the first Trinitron I was able to get was in great shape, but the person didn't tell me they were on the third-floor and we broke the t.v. hauling it down the stairs. I'm just lucky no one got injured on that one, honestly. I learned my lesson though, absolutely no stairs. The tv is either a straight shot out of their door and into the back of my minivan, or it just about can't be done.

The second one I got appeared to be in fantastic shape when I arrived to get it, but then when I got it home I discovered that different games on the same console will have vastly different geometry. Like, Mario 64 will be perfect, but then when I put in Banjo-Kazooie there's about an inch of squiggly black border on the left-hand side of the screen. I don't know what could be causing that problem, but it makes it pretty nearly useless because I have to change the service menu settings endlessly and overscan most games to a ridiculous degree, and it makes me just want to give it away. I do want to try again and see if I can find a more stable CRT, because once I got everything just perfect for one game it was truly beautiful.

Ozzie666

Recently had my commodore 1084s looked after cleaned and recapped etc. Using Analogue products through DAC and it’s wonderful. Obviously smaller screen and the hdmi and filters are still fine.

If only Analogue would update the duo and pocket to support the DAC.

Sony CRT seems like some fantasy to find in my country.

Last edited:

alf717

0uNLg86.jpeg

I have that same TV for CRT gaming. I went to buy a Sony and the Toshiba was sitting next to it. The Toshiba picture looked better so I walked out with it. I have held on to it all of these years.

27" Toshiba gang reporting in. Mine is a 27AF44 its a great TV with a beautiful picture, I'm planning on removing the velocity modulation plug on the neck board one of these days just haven't gotten around to it.

bobone

I have a 34" Trinitron and some old ass speakers/sub but they still sound great.
I love it. Been using that setup since around 2003?

Been playing stuff on their 25th anniversaries.
So far this year I've done DK 64, Tonic Trouble, and Rayman 2. I'm thinking Spyro 2 and CTR this summer if the Elden Ring DLC ends up being short.

Last edited:

phant0m

0uNLg86.jpeg

What do you play most?

27" Toshiba gang reporting in. Mine is a 27AF44 it's a great TV with a beautiful picture, I'm planning on removing the velocity modulation plug on the neck board one of these days just haven't gotten around to it.

qGZHlMQ.jpg

27" Sony here, complete with PS2, Dreamcast and PS3. Also all hail this wireless Logitech PS2 controller that despite looking a bit groady still actually works a bajillion years later. And has longer battery life than DS4's ever did

Last edited:

IAmRei

I did, but 5 years ago my old crt blown, and i cant find repairs here. My psx collecting dust again :'/

R6Rider

Gold Member
If I had enough space, then I'd maybe consider having a retro setup. I still have all my old consoles and games.

Sure, I'm playing my SNES, NES, Sega Master System and Genesis on my CRT all the time 😁 - all of them via RGB (modded my NES myself).

The only way that cuts it.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Would love to get one sadly in the UK becoming as rare as hens teeth or people wanting stupid money or Facebook Market Place they never reply to you kind of thing.

Oh, and I don't drive which severely fucks my chances up more.

Hohenheim

I got a CRT a couple of years ago, plugged in the old consoles and got going, but it was too much hassle. Now I just play the old games via Emudeck on my Steam Deck, docked to the TV with the various 8bitDo retro controllers.

Yep, I got a Bang & Olufsen MX6000 for my collection of retro systems: NES, SMS, SNES, Megadrive, Mega CD, 32x, Turbo Duo-R, 3DO, N64, PS1, Saturn, PS2, Neo Geo and Neo Geo CD

Now I have to find decent shelves or furniture to arrange all the setup nicely

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Is the original Wii with RGB scart the best way to emulate old 16bit games?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Technically speaking, most if not all of the concerns about not playing on original hardware w/ CRT can be addressed by a modern PC running RetroArch on a good modern display.

BFI for motion blur, plus OLED's naturally have lower motion blur than LCD if you go that route.

RA has shaders that imitate various CRTs perfectly if not very closely. Also, you can now get HDR shaders that make the TV do the work using the 4k resolution and HDR brightness to achieve accuracy.

RA has run-ahead to cut the input lag down to the point where it's allegedly in some cases faster than the original. You can very much feel this difference.

Throw in a decent controller like 8bitdo's M30 and you're laughing for 2D content.

3D is a bit of a different animal, and you might not have a PC that can handle much run-ahead (or a RetroArch core that supports it), but you can overcome limitations of original hardware by rendering at higher resolutions and applying AA. In the case of the PS1, just fixing the texture warping makes a huge difference.

Filben

Would love to for older and retro games, even for some modern games. Unfortunately good CRTs are so hard to come by here in Germany. Also, I don't think I've got the space and I already have a dedicated room, so I don't think I could convince my wife to allocate even more space for my hobbies 😅

Rayderism

I've been going retro, but not with a CRT. I bought one of those AtGames Legends Ultimate (a.k.a. ALU) multicade cabinets and have been having a blast playing on that. Unlike Arcade1Up cabs, the ALU is easily expandable to have thousands of retro games on it. Naturally, I did my best to max out that ability. So yeah, been going hardcore retro lately, but I'm not fussed with seeking out a CRT to play them on. I just use filters to try and simulate the CRT look for the games.

Besides, CRT's are radiation monsters. It's one of the many reasons the industry was quick to get away from them.

Last edited:
27" Toshiba gang reporting in. Mine is a 27AF44 its a great TV with a beautiful picture, I'm planning on removing the velocity modulation plug on the neck board one of these days just haven't gotten around to it.

I did it with mine as soon as I got the TV and trust me it makes a world of difference with 2D games. It was very easy to do, and it was the first time I ever opened up a CRT too.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
What do you play most?

qGZHlMQ.jpg

27" Sony here, complete with PS2, Dreamcast and PS3. Also all hail this wireless Logitech PS2 controller that despite looking a bit groady still actually works a bajillion years later. And has longer battery life than DS4's ever did
I love you

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Yep I have 3 CRTs of differing sizes for old-school gaming. I'd probably buy even more, but can only fit 1 small one into my home office (retropi) and 2 into the kid's gaming room (modded Wii/WiiU connected, + retro consoles, including classic Atari)... so that's the limit without inviting conflict with the wife.

El Muerto

I'm rockin a Sony Trinitron. PS1 and Saturn are modchipped, PS2 is softmodded, and i have everdrives for all the other consoles hooked up. I would hook up my other consoles but just not enough room. Not pictured is my wii/wiiu/ps3/360/nes/commodore128, magnavox odyssey 2. Thinking about just simplifying everything and just do emulation, and buy some usb adapters to use the original controllers for each system.

CHUERt6.jpeg

BlackTron

Yes. Even with a Switch full of old ROMs, there is something beautiful about cramming in a cart, pressing power, and playing immediately with a wired controller. No settings, no game mode, no filters, just the definitive experience with no effort. I spend most gaming time on PC and Switch but keep a CRT with old systems "on deck" for when the need arises.

I spotted TMNT II for NES the other day for $12 at a local store and grabbed it. Despite being able to play it 1000 other ways already, worth it for some iconic titles. After cleaning and testing the game, I ended up playing my collection of 6 NES games for 3 hours lol. There's something that makes these old games very approachable to co-op being only 2 buttons and having simple gameplay with no setup (pick up controller 2, no pairing or anything). Kinda want a real copy of a few shmups and Rescue Rangers now.

Trilobit

No, I never left. I still have my old games and consoles and a CRT in my living room. Just as someone can still enjoy their old LP records I still occasionally return to them.

AabyJ1x.jpg

Great for PC, too!

When I'm in the mood I'll switch to this ViewSonic and run PC games at 1440x1080 at 95hz and it's a pretty great experience with the motion clarity of CRT. Not to mention I can max out path tracing on a meager RTX 3060 12GB and get 60fps on this thing!
I am a bit jealous, but then again I only use the 24" Sony CRT for DVDs and PS2 games and Lies of P in particular greatly benefits from a higher resolution and wider color palette.

Last edited:
Top Bottom