• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else regret buying a Wii u?

Nope, but not because I use it. My kids play games or use it to watch Netflix every single day and it's keeps them from bugging me about playing on my PC/PS4. So in that regard I'm happy with it.

Not at all. Great games, off tv play. My favorite system this gen.

I took advantage of the MK8 and Pikmin for $60, Captain Toad has or had a sale going on.
A lot of good 3rd party games are very cheap, AC3 and 4, Batman AC and AO, Deus Ex HR DC, NFSMWU, Splinter Cell BL, W101, Darksiders 2, Mass Effect 3.

As for Nintendo exclusives, only W101 went down in price so yes, they tend to keep the prices, with a sale going on from time to time, stay alert.

I regret it. It just doesn't get enough playtime. I fell into the mindset that a few quality Nintendo games would be enough but that simply isn't the case for me anymore.

Depending on what happens with the new Zelda game, I might just end up selling it.

To be fair, Nintendo games holding their prices for so long really sucks.

I don't agree.

I always feel like a chump when I get a thirdparty game day one. Most of them have big day one patches, the price plummets over the next 3 months, the DLC Season pass goes on sale, there will be a GOTY edition with everything on the disc a year later etc.

It's comforting to know that....you might as well get a Nintendo game day one because it works out of the box and the price won't nosedive.

Edit: And even if you don't like a Nintendo game, the resell price is really high too.

Megatron

Get best buy's gcu membership. Its $30 but then for two years you will only pay $48 for $60 games. Only takes 3 purchases in that two years to get your money back.

impact

Banned
Definitely

Bayonetta 2 was worth playing though. And Donkey Kong. Smash is cool but laggy as fuck online and I'm not playing against AI. Other than that, it's very clear Nintendo makes games for people with different taste than myself. I'd still give their next console a shot if they can make something on it other than platformers and minigame collections, but definitely not till it's sub $300.

w00zey

I don't regret it but I knew going in what I was getting. When something great comes out I turn it on. The other times i play ps4/xb1. I really enjoyed tropical freeze, smb3dw, and mario kart. Luckily the kids love smash (for whatever reason I just don't like it, never really have) so it gets its use.

EhoaVash

yes, I couldn't play it with the game pad it's kinda heavy, and there is no d pad function option,by now you would guess that I didn't want to buy a game cube adapter/online adapter, and a game cube controller.

Dude you don't play smash with a dpad. That's horrible idea. Also get a pro controller it works really well with smash

I definitely would not buy one now if I didn't fuck up and buy it at launch

So far, Bayonetta 2 is the only game on the system that I'd say has a "do anything in your power to play this!" Level of quality

After that I guess hyrule warriors is fine.

I would get rid of mine if i could but I bought some stuff digitally(mario kart) and I think if I sold it that stuff is gone forever?

I don't even like mario kart but it's keeping me from getting rid of the system

:/

I was unhappy with it for the first year.

Now I have more great games than I know what to do with.

Also, 200+ hours in Hyrule Warriors. Still not even close to done. It's great to know that even if there is a lull in releases (which there hasn't been lately between Wii U and 3DS releases), I can always go back to HW.

And if you're worried about the price of Bayonetta, just rent it or borrow it from your local library if you can. I beat it in a weekend and had a blast doing so. Only reason I didn't buy it is because I'm trying to be a bit more conservative with my gaming spending. But it's definitely worth the full price tag for both games.

Fox Mulder

yes, I couldn't play it with the game pad it's kinda heavy, and there is no d pad function option,by now you would guess that I didn't want to buy a game cube adapter/online adapter, and a game cube controller.

yeah, the gamepad sucks for smash.

I already had a drawer of gamecube controllers, so paying for a GC adapter made sense.

phanphare

Banned
I don't agree.

I always feel like a chump when I get a thirdparty game day one. Most of them have big day one patches, the price plummets over the next 3 months, the DLC Season pass goes on sale etc.

It's comforting to know that....you might as well get a Nintendo game day one because it works out of the box and the price won't nosedive.

Edit: And even if you don't like a Nintendo game, the resell price is really high too.

that, my good sir, is a bingo

Spierek

Nope - I'm enjoying their recent output too much (not to mention Wii Virtual Console stuff).

Also, I guess that this depends on the country, but WiiU games in Poland are way cheaper compared to games on other current-gen consoles. I'm talking at least 30-40% less expensive on release than PS4/XBO exclusives.

Trey

weird reason to regret buying a console if I'm being honest

Being more expensive than expected is not a weird reason at all. I too find static prices for Nintendo games annoying.

That said, the Wii U library has impressed me so far, and I'm getting a lot of mileage out of Smash 4 in particular.

The Bayonetta 2 pack is still worth the price. I usually buy my Wii u games at launch so I guess the prices not going down haven't affected me much. Those are Nintendo prices, it has been that way for quite awhile.
Check out the eShop if you don't want to spend that much. The metroid Prime trilogy was 10 bucks at launch, along side SMG2 and punch out. Even at $20 those games are worth it.

Majmun

Gave mine away last year. I wasn't using it much. Made my little niece happy.

But I'm planning on getting one again for Xenoblade. And then maybe give it away again after finishing that lol

There's just nothing on the Wii U if you're not a Nintendo fan. My love for Nintendo has been waning for years now...

LocalE

As someone who hasn't fallen into the mindset that games more than one day old should be cheap or free...no, I've never regretted my day one Wii U purchase.

Playstation and XBox games, since the PS1 and Og XBox days til now, yeah, I wait and pick up plenty of games pretty cheap, often used.

And yeah, I buy games cheap on steam and GOG and whatnot, too.

Nintendo games? If I'll be interested in it I get it as soon as I can manage. Have done for a long time. And I don't feel it's money wasted, because good games are worth money to me. And I hardly ever sell them, either, so it's not about making my money back on them later, though that would work too, if I tended to do that.

Piercator

Banned
The Wii U is like wine. You can keep it safe collecting dust, but the next time you take it out for some special occasion it will be better.
It gets better with the time.

The games you listed are absolutely worth those prices. Most games are worth more than the four bucks you pay for them during a Steam sale, you know.

I worry about the industry.

Lilo_D

Gave mine away last year. I wasn't using it much. Made my little niece happy.

But I'm planning on getting one again for Xenoblade. And then maybe give it away again after finishing that lol

There's just nothing on the Wii U if you're not a Nintendo fan. My love for Nintendo has been waning for years now...

Try borrow one like I do for Bloodborne : )

RM8

Personally, it rekindled my love for consoles since I'm a handheld + PC person these days.

But I can see why some people don't like it - it doesn't have a very deep library, so if the awesome games it does have don't appeal to you, it's really not the system for you.

PillarEN

Ah the game prices. Yeah if they weren't so stingy I'd take some more chances on certain titles. There are some must have exclusives for me which are worth full retail and I get some serious mileage out of them. If I only had the Wii u I'd be a bit down but I'm also still rocking the last gen and I got my trusty gaming laptop to fill my cheap gaming needs

Last year I played my Wii U a lot more than my PS4. This year, the opposite.

Still well worth it to me. I got one of the $200 "refurbs" and hit up a Target B2G1 to flesh out the library. There are still games I want for the system that are out, and several future titles I'm looking forward to. Didn't buy the system expecting it to get support for the rest of the decade, just wanted Nintendo HD and the few overlooked third party gems.

mild regret so far. Nintendo's games have felt the same, just in HD now. I feel like Splatoon and Zelda are the first fresh and interesting games to come to U from Nintendo. So, ask again next year after Zelda. I'm definitely going to be a lot more careful on the net Nintendo console though. As for prices, I have no idea. Maybe Nintendo keeps their stock low? I'm sure Nintendo would love us to think it's because their games have such high quality and high demand but if that was really true, WiiU would be doing much better.

jond76

Banned
I do. I have the opportunity to make a straight trade for a PS4. I'm thinking of doing it. The thing is almost never played.

I bought it because I thought it would be the best compliment to an Xbox One. Now? Eh...

lord

I liked NSMBU a lot, and I'm just waiting for a good sale to get 3D world and DK:TF. I just bought W101 and Pikmin 3 ( got both new and sealed for $35 :D ) so maybe those will be good.

I don't care about MK or SSB. The selection on the eShop is meh.

A big problem I have with the thing.... I would have to spend $60 dollars on a controller to play Galaxy or Prime, another $60 to be able to play platformers the way i like it.

The Wii U controller scheme is a very expensive mess:

- Nunchuck
- Wiimote
- Gamepad
- Pro Controller

You need at least the first three to play all games in the Wii U's eShop which is understandable since those are old games. But still, I don't need or want that many controllers, I live in a tiny apartment. I don't think the gamepad is suited for some games, I just can't get comfortable enough to get in the Mario zone. My option is to buy another controller.

What was the point of the gamepad? Off tv play? Because the large majority games do not use it, sure Wario and Nintendoland are cute, but the thing it's just so unnecessary.

Overall I don't regret it, I got it for very cheap and NSMBU was great, if 3D world and TF are as good as that, I will be happy.

Akzel

So, pretty much since release?

You don't enjoy good games?

EDIT: Also, no OP, but I get where you're coming from. It just doesn't apply to me nor anyone I know with a Wii U.

Played a lot for a couple of month then stopped.
Yes I enjoyed all of them before but now it's different. I lost my interest to them little by little.

phanphare

Banned
Being more expensive than expected is not a weird reason at all. I too find static prices for Nintendo games annoying.

That said, the Wii U library has impressed me so far, and I'm getting a lot of mileage out of Smash 4 in particular.

nah it's a pretty weird reason

I mean, if the OP posts a picture of the rock he's been living under for the past......forever then I'd maybe understand

seeing as how he is able to post on an internet forum I'm going to assume he had the ability to research this kind of stuff beforehand. he could have actually made a more informed decision before buying the console

then again I find the price drop culture very puzzling so there is definitely a rift between my line of thinking and that of your average gamer on other platforms

Davey Cakes

A lot of Nintendo's games are worth the price.

Buy less games. Play and enjoy the ones you have more.

I know we all want our entertainment at a discount but Nintendo is one of those companies that's worth supporting.

I'm disappointed with my Wii U, not because the game prices (I've owned Nintendo consoles before and expected that) but because of the lack of great original games and the complete neglect of the Virtual Console.

shandy706

Can I have more than 3 weeks before deciding please?

Seriously though...I'm happy after only 3 weeks. You can't beat the price my fellow Gaffer gave me, so we're very happy.

Zelda not coming this year did make me sad though.

KORNdoggy

i don't regret it becasue i got to play the one game i REALLY wanted too (zombiU) as well as a few other. but it has been gathering dust for the last year since the PS4 released. so i guess it was money better spent elsewhere?

SalvaPot

Get the Best Buy GCU, buy NIntendo games Day 1 for 20% off. Most of the time you can make your money back easily if you don´t like the game, even a little profit.

I was worried I was going to regret buying one but I've probably enjoyed playing it more than my PS4 although now Bloodborne is out I'd say they're on equal footing for me. I have a backlog of Wii U stuff I need to work my way through though :(

Regret? lol it's the only system I am enjoying the most aside from PS4 at the moment thanks to Bloodborne but WiiU has more than a handful of quality exclusives as well as full backwards compatibility with Wii titles. Don't know what regret you're on about.

Mupod

my only problem with the system is that I expected an HD version of monster hunter 4. It could still happen, though.

I haven't played a lot of the games on it I own but that's my fault. I'm planning to get back into it over the summer.

Top Bottom