• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else regret buying a Wii u?

megalowho

I don't regret it mostly because of Mario 3D World and Bayonetta 2. Those two alone justify the purchase of the console, great and essential titles. In many ways it's a lot like the Wii in terms of notable releases and usage for me, which is pretty much what I expected.

Ok I won't argue that the pad is heavy in regards to fighting games. I don't mind it myself but I can see it detracting from the experience. I guess you didn't like using a standard Wiimote in order to use a the d pad controller?

I've tried that, but that damn button on the bottom kept messing me up
it was a frustrating experience all together.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Was going to buy one for Splatoon, Zelda, and possiblt Xenoblade
Buuut I rather spend $2-300 for just the system alone on more games I have interest in on PS4 since I find buying a console for only a few games you can count on 1 hand not worth it.
And before the crowd starts calling out different titles, I am aware of them and none of them interest me AT ALL.
Where I currently live we have a Wii U but I'm moving soon and it isn't mine.

impact

Banned
you're forgetting Splatoon, Mario Marker, and Fatal Frame, which I'm super excited about.

Xenoblade X might end up being my GotY if it's as good as Xeno so I'm pretty happy about the lineup.

We're also so getting at least one or two more announcements in E3, can't wait.

I guess... but you're just making me think I should sell my Wii U

Out of all the things listed for this year I would only buy Star Fox (was interested in FF before, everyone says it's shit and not scary though)

Yea I think I should put this bitch on craigslist. This thread was actually pretty helpful =)

AgeEighty

My only regret with the Wii U is that so few people gave it a chance from the very beginning, both among gamers and among developers. Part of that is Nintendo's fault, and part of it is not.

As for the console itself? I think it's a great machine that puts out some very pretty graphics, and at no point have I played anything on it and had cause to complain about the way the game looked (which is in stark contrast to the way I felt about the Wii).

And it's given us some of the best games Nintendo has put out in years.

So, no. I don't. And you shouldn't either.

I've tried that, but that damn button on the bottom kept messing me up
it was a frustrating experience all together.

I know you don't want to, but buying a Pro Controller would fix all issues.

It's one of the best controllers ever made since it's designed similar to the 360 controller, which is one of the best controllers ever made.

No, I do not. I do, however, somewhat regret purchasing an Xbox One. I should have bought a PS4 first. Missing out on Axiom Verge and Bloodborne is killing me.

Wii U has some of my all-time favorite games, so I'm pretty happy to own one.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That is an absurd reason to regret buying a system. It's not like they tricked you with promise of $15 games. You bought the thing knowing full-well what to expect.

I loved the few games I bought the console for (Bayo 2, Smash and MK8), but now that I've nothing to really look forward to, I think I'll trade it for a New 3DS.

Maybe when I'm done with the MK second DLC.

I guess... but you're just making me think I should sell my Wii U

Out of all the things listed for this year I would only buy Star Fox (was interested in FF before, everyone says it's shit and not scary though)

Yea I think I should put this bitch on craigslist. This thread was actually pretty helpful =)

If you don't like Nintendo games then sell it, of course.

Mario Kart 8 and Smash means I'm NEVER going to sell it and pretty much play it daily.

Still no Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, real 3D Mario, Paper Mario...

Yes I do.

Worst Nintendo console besides Virtual Boy. Collects dust extremly fast.

Usobuko

Banned
What Nintendo do with their supply and pricing policy has no effect on me.

I don't buy Nintendo games day one because the price doesn't fall, I think that is being irrational because it implied an inherent preference over Nintendo games over others which have similar qualities.I buy games day one because I like them enough to do so. Not because I am afraid of future price hikes, scarcity and whatnots.

That said, I am in fortunate situation to buy what I want at this price level, so it doesn't matter in the end as I buy many games day one.

Vaz

Neo Member
captain toad was on sale for $28 on the Nintendo e-shop. It's not the first sale, won't be the last. OP's comments are highly exaggerated and he should feel ashamed of his regret.

fork_bomb

Banned
I do. My Wii U is currently collecting dust on my shelf. Wind Waker HD was fun, but I've yet to find a game on the system that captures my attention for more than a week. When I have friends over, no one cares about the thing. 9 times out of 10, we'd rather just play some Halo. I love Nintendo and all, but this is without a doubt the only console of theirs' that I've barely used. Kinda a shame, really.

void666

Banned
I do. I have donkey kong, mario 3d, mario kart, zelda WW. Barely play those games anymore. I was looking forward to play the new zelda this year. Nope.
I could buy bayonetta 2 but platinum games are not exactly my cup of tea. Besides wii u games are very expensive around here (brazil).

Wifey often watches netflix on the gamepad though.

nope, tho i bought my wii u in january and have not had much time to play my backlog I bought during those b2g1free sales over the holidays, BB has quite a hold on me right now. I'm sure I'll get a chance to really dig in when the summer drought hits. Also glad these games hold their value, that way if i really wann get rid of say pikmin 3, I know ill recoup my costs

sfried

Not at all. While most of my gaming has increased on the PC side (due to increased actual work on PC and the ease of booting up a Steam game), the Wii U still provides me with some unique entertainment I can enjoy.

chadboban

Not really. Really loving mines and my most anticipated game of the year is being released on it

vpaluk.gif

rnlmqw.gif

llewzw.gif

so yeah, I'm great with it.

Still no Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, real 3D Mario, Paper Mario...

Yes I do.

Worst Nintendo console besides Virtual Boy. Collects dust extremly fast.

real 3d Mario

lol

The Wii U is probably my favorite Nintendo console in a long ass time, few games(I say few but I own like 15 games) but they are mostly amazing, and SPLATOOOOON is coming!

impact

Banned
If you don't like Nintendo games then sell it, of course.

Mario Kart 8 and Smash means I'm NEVER going to sell it and pretty much play it daily.

If the Platinum exclusives are done I think I could live

I'm gonna miss Star Fox but oh well, the series hasn't been good in almost 20 years.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Most definitely not.

I honestly never thought I'd be saying this but, best system this gen thus far for me, the first party lineup have been soo good, there is like a good solid ten games that I'd give at least a nine out of ten, I'll be lucky if I can say that about half as many games on my PS4 during its tenure, and nothing on the PC interests me at the moment bar a smattering of indie titles.

I only own 7 games, 2 of which I didnt like, and the only games coming out I will be getting are mario maker and xenoblade X, and im not actually looking forward to xenoblade.

Do I regret it though, no, I knew what I was getting

Well I din't know GCU is 30$ dollars now, will it discount old games like bayonetta 2 or pikmin 3? ( shoot I forgot pikmin 3 is not sold by best buy anymore)

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Yes, absolutely. The only game releases worthwhile (sans Bayonetta 2) are the same tired franchises I've played over and over again, with little or no variation from their last installments.

Most disappointing console purchase ever, and I had a Sega CD.

tuffy

Considering the time I put into Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, the Wii U was one of the best hours-per-dollar entertainment bargains I've owned.

Everything else is just a nice bonus.

jacobeid

Banned
Right. And this is a good thing. Not for the consumer in terms of saving money but in terms of sustaining a model where good games keep their value. I'm honestly not a fan of the idea that games should automatically shoot down in price within months of release.

Absolutely it's a good thing. Nintendo first-party games in general have long legs in terms of playtime. Most people never really feel the need to trade in a game like Smash, so the used market is minuscule in comparison to the competitors as well.

Disclaimer: I just made massive generalizations and there are several Sony/Microsoft games that fit into this mold as well, but arguably less consistently than with Nintendo first-party. Warhawk is a good example.

Kinsei

Banned
Nope.

New Super Mario Bros. U
New Super Luigi U
Hyrule Warriors
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Wind Waker HD
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Wonderful 101
Zelda U (When it comes out)

Too many good games for me to be disappointed.

I don't regret buying a Wii U at all. As a matter of fact I'll go in the opposite direction and say I probably regret not getting it sooner. I sympathize with the OP as far as pricing goes. HOWEVER:

- Mario Kart 8 initially came with an offer of a free game. I got Wind Waker HD. So that means both MK8 and WWHD cost me $30 each. A goddamn bargain considering how amazing both games are.

- Bayonetta 2 comes in Bayonetta 1 included in its own disc. I paid $60 for the retail package, but applying the same logic as above that means that Bayo 2 was in reality $30, with Bayo 1 being $30 as well. And just like the two games above, I would still pay full retail for each, because they're worth it.

- At one point leading up to the release of Smash (speaking of which, I don't understand your "bad controls" comment), Nintendo had a sale on its major franchises. I remember seeing Super Mario 3D World for $30. Tropical Freeze was on sale, too.

- Some retailers occasionally have sales on eShop cards (10% off, buy 1 get 1 40% off, etc). This, combined with regular Nintendo deals, should net you some savings.

Yes, copies of games (Pikmin, Wonderful 101, etc) may go up in the future because of rarity. I used to be a "own everything physical" purist, but in this day and age, money is king. Do I want to buy Pikmin physically, used, for $70+ on Amazon/eBay? Or do I want to pay $42 digitally? In terms of benefits to my wallet, $42 >>>> $70+, so the "physical collection" purist in me can go straight to hell.

Point is... price of games is a weird reason to not buy a console or regret buying one. Especially when: (1) the price complaints aren't always true, as there are discounts on multiple fronts; and (2) the quality of the games is excellent enough that even paying retail is a worthwhile investment.

megathor

I don't regret it, I'm just not as happy as I hoped I'd be. I find myself playing my PS4 more often. I enjoy it, and I feel I get some value from it, but I'm a little disappointed

Instro

I knew what I was getting into. To some degree I wish I had waited in it a bit and bought it a little cheaper, but otherwise it's fine. Certainly could never be my only system, but unless Nintendo ever goes 3rd party I'm forced to buy their mediocre hardware to play the games I want.

Dereck

Not entirely, I regret even owning one in 2015 since it looks like other games, besides Splatoon, are going to omit voice chat online. Yes, that matters a lot to me.

I regret not stealing the one we have here at work. I regret not buying my own and only having access a few hours a day. Games are spendy, but Nintendo titles are normally spendy and don't drop in price like even a bit. I feel like OP should have known better.

Top Bottom