• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else regret buying a Wii u?

phanphare

Banned
Best Games: Depends on the taste of the person.
Best OS: No, not even. It's super clunky and is made for a blind person and the need to use the gamepad to really do anything when setting up anything is annoying.

I have seen pushed ads to the gamepad while the system is in standby. Most recent one I have seen was for Kirby. Freaked me out when I saw the gamepad light up on its own.

While there may not be preorder DLC I can think of it does have quirky DLC dealing with the Amiibos.... which some end up going for $40+ due to limited production/Scalpers

I love the Wii U's OS. the quick start menu is great and most everything is a single click away. as far as pure functionality the Wii U's OS is great.

also if you're seeing ads on your gamepad it's because you opted in to have them. so that's on you ;p

amiibos....fuck amiibos. although none of the "DLC" locked behind them is really meaningful so it's easy to ignore.

Ramirez

I don't regret buying it, 3D World is one of my favorite games ever. But I also don't regret trading it in once Zelda got delayed, I hadn't touched it in months.

I wouldn't find it unreasonable for a budget-strapped gamer to regret buying a Wii U. I remember being a child and my parents were done buying me consoles after the snes in 92. I went 6 years before I was able to swing a Saturn on clearance at Blockbuster for $30 as a 12 year old and snag all the discounted games for pennies at Wherehouse and other rental joints. PSX was a pipe dream for me back then.

As a kid you almost had to pick sides for financial reasons, most parents won't drop cash for more than one system. It's always a comparison, things can't be judged for value in isolation.

Dude I love this post !!
I got my saturn for 60 at target!
and guess what I got guardian heroes and dragon force for 10 dollars at my local pawn shop!

I see it all clear now, I've always been a bargain gamer!!!!

Thanks man ( this is not a joke post either) you truly took me back!

Muzicfreq

Banned
what do you mean by clunky?

and I think you can opt out of the spotpass ads or whatever they're called

Maybe not clunky so much as chunky. There's far too much padding on like everything. Feels like they just took their handheld OS and slapped it onto stronger hardware.

I love the Wii U's OS. the quick start menu is great and most everything is a single click away. as far as pure functionality the Wii U's OS is great.

also if you're seeing ads on your gamepad it's because you opted in to have them. so that's on you ;p

amiibos....fuck amiibos. although none of the "DLC" locked behind them is really meaningful so it's easy to ignore.

Had I known about their opt in for ads I would have said no, may have mentioned something when setting up my account that was confusing everyone in the house on how to set one up.

Locking some weapons and stuff in Hyrule Warriors to having special enemies in SSB4 and Splatoon Amiibos having missions and gear locked behind them.

Mael

Man it's totally correct, I hate to use the dualshock 4 controller to do anything on the ps4.
And really don't you hate you have to use buttons to even make the things work? So backward in the days of tablets and everything.

Sayah

Buying a Wii U was a great decision for me. Really great console with amazing games.

However, I can understand if you're tight on money, then it's not the best option. Nintendo games usually never drop in price and by the time the print copies go out of stock in stores, many become collector items and sell for even higher prices on ebay.

Go look up prices for even Gamecube titles like Fire Emblem Path of Radiance or Eternal Darkness on Ebay.

phanphare

Banned
Maybe not clunky so much as chunky. There's far too much padding on like everything. Feels like they just took their handheld OS and slapped it onto stronger hardware.

can you try using better terminology to describe your gripes? like "padding" on everything. what does that mean specifically?

nope i have over 40 games for my wii u not including indie and vc titles its also my dedicated netflix machine and for watching youtube on my tv,

No, but I wish I'd thoroughly tested the touchscreen calibration before moving all my data over from my old Wii... And swapped it for a replacement.

The sensor matrix is faulty, not enough to really affect games, but I notice when drawing or doing handwriting. And the shop wouldn't replace just the controller, they wanted to take the whole system in for repairs. No way in hell I'm leaving all my savefiles and system-locked data (thanks Nintendo) in the hands of interns who's know-how starts and ends with "Have you tried rebooting it?", especially since it not the console that's faulty but it'll totally be given a factory reset with little to no thought. And then in the end I'll just be given a replacement anyway as they couldn't fix it.

So, I'm still waiting for Nintendo to start selling seperate Gamepads. Or a cheap, new one off ebay....

Nope. It's one of the better consoles I have.

Nintendo's games usually launch a bit cheaper than most, but tend to not have steady price drops. That's just how it is where I live. The games are very high on replay value, content and polish. They're well worth the asking price IMO.

Buying it day one was a huge fucking mistake. I probably would have regretted a lot less if I had waited for the price drops and bundles.

Muzicfreq

Banned
can you try using better terminology to describe your gripes? like "padding" on everything. what does that mean specifically?

Padding usually means the thickness of the boarders of objects.
For example
The icons have some crazy thick boarder and then some large gaps between them
iwCUuWjoiLADp.jpg

Grikker

Banned
I regret letting my son use mine as he ended up breaking the gamepad. I believe it is around $150 for a new pad. I may as well buy an entire new system. He also ruined two copies of Mario Kart and one NSMB. I swear the discs immediately stop working if you breathe on them.

I have Bayonnetta 2 brand new still sealed as I didn't get to play it before he ruined it.

read page 2 and 3
I explain something about heavy game pad and not wanting to buy extra controllers,
plus no d pad option. on line lag.

You can't use the D-pad because you need to analog stick to execute different types of attack. The Game Pad isn't heavy if you rest your elbows or hands on something like your lap or a table. I've played over 100 hours of Smash Bros online and lag is rarely an issue for me, even with a wireless connection.

I hear you OP, a big reason why I haven't bought a Wii U yet is the software prices. When you purchase a new system, you feel the need to experiment with its catalogue and try games out you're not sure you'd like, in order to justify your big bucks spent. But when those games are always £35-40, I don't feel particularly eager to do so. If the games refuse to drop in price, then I refuse to buy the hardware needed to play them.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I could see if this were a Neo Geo AES thread, but Wii U games too expensive? OP's best bet is Craigslist, or if you have a Best Buy, the Gamer's Club Unlocked.

Reule

I didn't buy our Wii-U but my girlfriend and I are in love with the damn thing. It has Smash, Mario Party, and Mario Kart. That alone already gives us hours of enjoyment and things to do with friends locally. Super Mario 3D World, DKC: Tropical Freeze, and others have been great games to pass the time with. Sure Zelda was pushed back but there's still Splatoon and hopefully Star Fox Wii-U to look forward to this year.

I kept my expectations in check after the Wii and I'm quite happy with the what the Wii-U is offering or has offered.

Dysun

Yeah, Super Mario 3D World was amazing but the rest of the offerings haven't really held my interest that long. Mario Kart 8 was good, but I have a hard time with everything else. The Zelda delay hurts

Mael

wrong topic?

Nah someone complained about having to use the only controller mandatory for the system.
It's the same stupid complain that people had with Wii, it came with a wiimote and you had people complaining that they had to use it to control the system.
Similarly I gather that the xbone OS is a mess if you don't have Kinect that it's actually made for.

sniperpon

While the Wii U is nowhere near the PC Engine, Genesis, 3DO, or PSX for me, it is my favorite console since 2000 or so. So nope, no regrets.

For contrast, I did own an Xbox One for about a year-- now that was regret. Fortunately, I wound up selling the thing for nearly as much as I'd originally paid for it. PS4 would have been the same experience for me I think.

It was worth it for MK8 alone.

I haven't even opened Bayo 2 yet from Christmas, but I'm still happy with it.

Plus my wife loves it, so that always helps justify a purchase.

I regret buying one day one. It was so barren. I could've waited and gotten a much better price. Even now with all the great titles out, I feel underwhelmed by it. Still waiting on FE, Zelda etc etc.

Rival

Gold Member
I love my wii u! Their games hold their value because typically they are really good and you won't be getting a newer version for several years at least and people typically do not trade in Nintendo games. I find it hard to believe someone on gaf that owns a wii u wouldn't have known that already.

Lingitiz

It's an awesome secondary console and great for when you have people over, but if it's your only platform to play games on I can't imagine you'd be satisfied. At the same time it has some essential exclusives like Bayo 2 and MK8 that are really tough to miss.

Marow

I love my Wii U a lot. Then again, I knew exactly what I got myself into when I bought it last summer. It's the perfect console to own alongside my PC. Plus, I wouldn't say I have few games on it:

Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors
Mario Kart 8
New Super Mario Bros U
New Super Luigi U
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
Rayman Legends
Sonic Lost World
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros for Wii U
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Wonderful 101
ZombiU

That's already 17 games, with the following to be bought (bringing it up to 26):

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Fatal Frame V
Rodea: The Sky Soldier
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem
Splatoon
Star Fox U
The Legend of Zelda U
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World

And this is excluding any other potential upcoming titles, not to mention the eShop.

I'm perfectly fine with this. I don't see why I wouldn't be.

Griss

So much truth in this post. Griss, you're definitely one of my favorite contributors on GAF.

Be real, you're just one Nintendo fanboy recognising another, right? :)

This smacks of elitism to me. People accuse the PC crowd of this but I see it in posts about Nintendo like this one as well.

The 3 things mentioned are sort of big deals. "3rd party support" = the rest of the development world on console.

Best games = subjective
Best OS = not true at all, by any measure I know of. You might like some aspects of the UI which is fine but it's slow as shit and the least modern of the 3.
BC = totally praiseworthy, sure.
Ads = I suppose, although PS4 seems limited to the Store or What's New
Off-TV play can be achieved with a Vita/PS4 combo, soon with Xbox streaming/PC combo, globally in the PS4 case, and asymmetric multi is nothing special nor admirably implemented on Wii U.

Sorry for the rant but sometimes I feel the poor fortunes of the Wii U have caused the die-hard fans, whose passion I actually like, to go into a defensive frenzy. The Wii U has big fucking problems. No use pretending that it doesn't. So does the Vita, I own one, I won't pretend it's any sort of success or boost it up where it doesn't belong. I like it fine but I know what it is.

Nah, I've been critical of Nintendo from day 1. I really, really love the Wii U but fully understand why it has failed. Frankly it deserved to fail in many ways.

And yes, 3rd party support is a big deal, but I've played more games I've enjoyed from Nintendo this gen than across every other platform combined. So even without 3rd party, the Wii U still has 'the best games'. Entirely subjective, but what can I do about that other than state my opinion.

As for the Wii U OS, I firmly believe it's the best. When the PS4 gets folders or becomes as good as the PS3's was, I might change my mind. It's certainly fast. But the Wii U OS is so user-friendly and organisation friendly and ultimately pretty that it wins.

I love my Vita but to claim that off-TV play using it and the PS4 is the same is just wrong - they're almost entirely different experiences. The Wii U gamepad is almost entirely lag free and is not missing any inputs.

I was so disgusted with the Wii U when it was announced and I first tried it that I waited for over a year for it to go sub-200 dollars, and bought a PS4 first. I'm not a blind supporter, it just so happens that I ended up thinking it's the best console by a distance.

That's a lot of important, critical ways.

It is. But the 3rd party software / 1st party software divide only matters in so much as you ask the question of 'how many great games can I play on this system' and even without much 3rd party software the Wii U still wins in my book.

The horsepower matters less than it did in the Wii era as we're now getting beautiful HD games, some of which like Mario Kart 8 stack up visually to anything on any console unless you're pixel-peeping. Yes, it probably couldn't handle GTA V, and that's an issue. But it does deliver HD goodness.

It's the account services thing that I find to be the biggest flaw. I can't accept Nintendo's practices in this area at all, and don't understand people who defend them on it.

Best Games: Depends on the taste of the person.
Best OS: No, not even. It's super clunky and is made for a blind person and the need to use the gamepad to really do anything when setting up anything is annoying.

I have seen pushed ads to the gamepad while the system is in standby. Most recent one I have seen was for Kirby. Freaked me out when I saw the gamepad light up on its own.

While there may not be preorder DLC I can think of it does have quirky DLC dealing with the Amiibos.... which some end up going for $40+ due to limited production/Scalpers

Disagree on the OS, but agree that pushing ads to the gamepad isn't really cool. I've yet to see that, though. Amiibo DLC in games has been very restrained, there hasn't been a single thing I really felt I was missing out on as someone who doesn't buy toys.

I will accept that Nintendo is moving towards modern pricing structures and DLC practices that I dislike, but we've seen little of it on the Wii U itself.

I still regret buying a Wii and 3DS. They ain't fooling me a third time.
Lol. I agree about the Wii; such a disappointment. 3DS is pretty good though.

I can see where you're going with this OP. I think the prices should drop. All you hear is how great certain Wii U games are but what if you get the Wii U late? Now you have all of these $50-55 games stacking up and you end up paying a lot for the console plus games.

Circinus

The prices of Nintendo games on Nintendo platforms have indeed become a bit of a barrier for me to purchase Nintendo systems.

But it sounds like something you would look up before purchasing your Wii U.

RetroMG

Don't regret it at all. If I were still single, maybe, but my wife loves the WiiU, and we've had a lot of fun together playing it.

A couple days ago I bought Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, and my wife and I have been working through it. Last night we got to some of the bonus levels that were supposed to be unlocked when the game started. (Because we had save data from Mario 3D world.)

I was confused why they weren't unlocked originally, and when I checked, I realized that due to an eternal hard drive issue some months ago, our Mario 3D World saves had been deleted.

I was, of course, incredibly annoyed. All that work, gone. We were at Champion's Road. I'd never managed to beat it, but every few months I would load it up and try again.

My wife's response: "I'm excited! Now we have a reason to go play through Mario 3D World again once we finish Captain Toad!"

So yeah, I don't regret buying the WiiU at all.

Shauni

Another about confusion that Nintendo games don't drop in price. Those who generally don't follow Nintendo must always have a shock whenever they get a system hoping to get those first party titles on the cheap.

RowdyReverb

I use GameFly for mine. Much more cost effective than trying to purchase some of that console's library. NSMB U says very low availability though, so I may have to bite the bullet on that one.

OneUh8

Personally I regret getting an Xbox One instead of getting a WiiU. Really regret doing that. Already had a PS4, and MCC sucked me in, only to be left supremely disappointed. Should have got a Wii U like I was going to all along.

You can't use the D-pad because you need to analog stick to execute different types of attack. The Game Pad isn't heavy if you rest your elbows or hands on something like your lap or a table. I've played over 100 hours of Smash Bros online and lag is rarely an issue for me, even with a wireless connection.

Hold on, so when I use the Wii-mote I can't use all the moves that are available to me?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I did regret buying a Wii U yes.

My first Wii U i got as a gift, so pawning it off for money was the logical conclusion. But buying my second Wii U myself was based off of pure Bayonetta 2 hype. I regretted it after i played the crap out of Bayo 2(and Bayo 1 Wii U) because outside of that, there weren't many games i was interested in on the system coming down the pipe. Smash, Zelda coming whenever, Xenoblade.

I could not justify owning the console for 3 whole games that would not be out for over a year(at the time). And even now, that feeling hasn't changed. They are still the only 3 games on the console i am interested in. Maybe if NX is BC, then i'll get one of those and have a decent library this time.

If not, well, whatever. I still have my NES, SNES and GC for Nintendo games.

Swass

I regret it, Wind Waker and 3D World are the only games I have enjoyed on the system. Luckily I got it for $250 out the door back in 2013 so the sting isn't too bad. And I'm still hopeful for a couple more good games added to the library that will justify the price paid in the end.

Nope, it's ace. Some of the first party games have been the best games in their genres for many years, and even if I wasn't completely satisfied, the fact that Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda U, Starfox, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem etc are enough reasons to keep hold of it.

Not to mention the MK8 DLC coming next week. Hyped for that too.

Well I'm glad I did not buy one to regret about buying later. Smash is something I really love but only when playing locally so I just go round to my friends place. SMT X FE has definitely put me off as well. Considering there are only 2 games that I really do want to play I'm just going to borrow a friends to play those games.

Top Bottom