• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever bought you the wrong game?

Sophia

I can't recall any instance of this ever happening with purchased games. That being said, my mother would occasionally grab the wrong rented game tho. But it was pretty rare to the point that I can't remember any specific examples, only that it happened.

Games were usually such an expensive purchase growing up that they made absolutely sure to get the right thing.

The original New Super Mario Brothers game for the Nintendo DS hadn't come out yet, and child-me couldn't remember the release date. However, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time had been released recently.

So I called up Gamestop:

"Hi, has the New Super Mario Brothers game come out yet?"
"Yes, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time."

I was a bit confused by this. I was pretty sure Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time was an RPG, and I hated RPGs. I wanted a platformer. So I responded:

"No, I mean the New Super Mario Brothers game."
"Um... yeah, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time."

The guy seemed to know what he was talking about, so I figured Nintendo must have changed the name from New Super Mario Brothers to Partners in Time, or something like that. I asked my parents to drive me to gamestop, and bought the game for $35, which was a lot of money for me at the time.

Suffice to say, I was not happy. 😡

Why would you say:

Would you say:
"Hi, has the Nintendogs game come out yet?"

Or:
"Hi, has the Magical Starsign game come out yet?"

Or:
"Hi, has the Mother 3 game come out yet?"

No, you would say:
"Hi, has Mother 3 come out yet?"

Raw64life

Begged by parents for Dragon Warrior II. Got Double Dragon II instead.

I eventually also got Dragon Warrior II, so win win I guess. My 6 year old self was not happy at the time though.

HCgamer

This just happened to me I ordered the legend of zelda breath of the wild wii u gamestop.com package arrived they sent me the legend of zelda twilight princess hd.

Nairume

Banned
November of 2007, my mother decided to surprise me for my birthday by getting me a new game, which she had not done for me in years. Knowing that I had just gotten a Wii the previous year but had not been able to buy that many new games for it, she decided to get me a new Wii game specifically.

So she asked around about the newest and most notable Wii games released around November of 2007...and somehow ended up with Smarty Pants.

Okay, so Smarty Pants was actually a ton of fun.

farisr

I haven't had anyone else buy me a game before (and get it wrong), but this is a story about how I inadvertently bought the wrong game, despite getting the game with the right title.I played a Batman game at a family friends place on the SNES and loved it. I bought a Batman game of the same name for the system that I had, the Genesis. Little did I know before booting it up, that the games were totally different and the genesis version sucked in comparison (it did to me at least).

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I just got my 3DS for Christmas, asked for Super Mario 3D Land - my grandma got me New Super Mario Bros 2 instead. :/

Actually no. My parents always bought the exact games I wanted for Christmas lol. I didn't get much more than a single game. Maybe two game boy games, but either way they listened. Even snatched up Metroid Prime, which I didn't expect them to get right at all. I guess I was fortunate going by this thread.

Only exception was when I got a Sega Genesis for my fifth Christmas. I wanted Sonic 2, but got a power rangers fighting game. Eventually we grabbed Sonic 2, but power rangers sufficed. At five years old I found it to be pretty fun

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Yes did this not to long ago. I bought the Genesis Power Ranger game instead of the SNES one. SNES is a 2d side scroller and Genesis is a fighter.

Asked my mum to get me a year PS+ while in town

Comes back with borderlands 2 season pass

It made me buy the base game and I really enjoyed it so it was fine.

kvothe232

My launch GBA was stolen when my brothers car was broken into, so we claimed a new one under the insurance, my Father handled everything about that as I lived 5 hours away, I wrote down exactly what it was that I needed replaced - a Purple Gameboy advance with the game Advance Wars. I got a see through clear purple GBA with Army Men, I was pretty angry and only played Army men for a few minutes.

Why would you say:

Would you say:
"Hi, has the Nintendogs game come out yet?"

Or:
"Hi, has the Magical Starsign game come out yet?"

Or:
"Hi, has the Mother 3 game come out yet?"

No, you would say:
"Hi, has Mother 3 come out yet?"

This happened years and years ago. You're right, I probably didn't use "the" in my question. Regardless, somehow there was a misunderstanding. I was a stupid young child who was probably difficult to understand over the phone.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My wife bought me "Legend of the River King" (GBA) like ten years ago. And when she gave it to me, very excitedly said "I know you love River Man".

I have never expressed interest in "River Man", and although I had heard of Legend of the River King, fishing RPGs aren't exactly something I have interest in.

I have no idea what game she might have thought I meant.

v1lla21

Yup, I had asked my pops for Crash on the xbox and he bought me Nfs:Most Wanted instead. I didn't care that game was dope as fuck.

Griss

I got Mario Kart 64 instead of Mario 64 with the N64.

I feel really bad that I was so obviously disappointed at the time. But kids will be kids, I really, really wanted to play Mario 64 and wasn't enthused about the kart game. And ultimately I was right, lol, Mario 64 was the killer app and Kart was no good for single player.

I didn't end up getting any other games for it for 9 months, either, so the wait was long.

uceenk

i asked my brother to buy me FF IX

and he came home with FF Origins (it's a compilation which consists FF 1 & 2), never played the game just watched the early cutscene which is awesome

JordanN

Banned
8 year old me wanted this game so badly (I was into Tony Hawk back then so I was willing to try any "xtreme sports" stuff).

4c930PL.jpg

Instead, my sister got me this.

i5XTeGn.jpg

Played it. It wasn't actually a bad game. In fact, it was supposedly better than the N64 version.

exemp30

I don't remember why my dad said he'd byt me a game but he did. I told him I wanted Pokemon for the N64 which I meant Pokemon stadium but he got me Pokemon snap, initially I was let down but when I started playing it I knew it was an amazing game.

As a video game addicted kid my constant fear was getting the wrong game as a present, lol, yeah that sounds kina pathetic. My parents, bless them, never really understood anything about video games so it frequently happened that they would buy a game that I never asked for. I would never get upset but it is a bummer when you are a kid hoping to finally get your hands on the game you've been dying for.

What's worse is when they would accidentally buy games for the wrong system, at least if it was the wrong game I could just make the best of it and try to enjoy what I got.

I do have to give my parents majors props for the year Goldeneye was the hottest game available, they nailed that one and I even got my dad to join in and play some multiplayer.

My mom bought me a Game Boy game called Dexterity for my NES. lol. I finally got to play the game 3 years later when I got a Game Boy.

quesalupa

I wanted some Fairly Odd Parents game for the GameCube and got one for the GBA. I then bought the GC version and the disc didn't work. The universe really didn't want me to play that game.

Well not exactly but one Christmas I opened up Agent Cody Banks on DVD while my brother(five years younger) opened up Halo: Combat Evolved.

Nice going Dad 😂

13ruce

Banned
The original New Super Mario Brothers game for the Nintendo DS hadn't come out yet, and child-me couldn't remember the release date. However, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time had been released recently.

So I called up Gamestop:

"Yes, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time."

I was a bit confused by this. I was pretty sure Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time was an RPG, and I hated RPGs. I wanted a platformer. So I responded:

"No, I mean the New Super Mario Brothers game."
"Um... yeah, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time."

The guy seemed to know what he was talking about, so I figured Nintendo must have changed the name from New Super Mario Brothers to Partners in Time, or something like that. I asked my parents to drive me to gamestop, and bought the game for $35, which was a lot of money for me at the time.

Suffice to say, I was not happy. 😡

Wat that game was way better than New Super Mario Bros lol:p if i had to choose i would choose partners but i had both as a kid. Liked PiT way more.

And hmmm wrong games i got a fake pokemon gameboy color game named daimond i think from my mom instead off crystal, you could buy a gun and bombs in that game and use em lmao.

Back in 2004 I told my mom I was really looking forward to the new Zelda, which had just been revealed at E3 that year. Fast forward to december 24th, when I opened my christmas present. My mom looked expectantly at my face to see how I would react... Because she got me the new Zelda! Yay! Only, it wasn't Twilight Princess of course. She actually got her hands on an early copy of Four Swords Adventures, which was supposed to release two weeks later in the new year.

Still, I thought it was pretty cool she went through all that trouble for me, and actually got the game early for me. Besides, it was a Zelda game, so chances are it was gonna be pretty cool regardless!

I tried the game, didn't care for it at all, and decided to trade it in for Metroid Prime 2, which I never really played. The end.

BigPete

As a kid I asked my parents for Dragon Warrior II fro xmas. Got Double Dragon 2 instead.

My mom seemed so excited to give it to me, so I hid my disappointment and pretended it was the right game.

Double Dragon 2 is a fun game and I treasure my copy because my mom tried really hard to make me happy.

Z..

I got this

Gb0jpWb.jpg

from my Father instead of Street Fighter 2 (snes) for Christmas.

I didn't even know what to say - I think I didn't talk much for a whole month.

Also, I never even beat this game- it's vague and the combat was brutal .

Same exact thing as OP, wanted SF2 and dad got me:

38963-Rise_of_the_Robots_(Europe)-1459626042.png

Never got any other games for my MD because I didn't appreciate the one I did have and also because consoles ruined TVs, apparently. Relied on borrowed games, mostly. Ended up keeping Toy Story and Dynamite Headdy which belonged to a friend who moved away.

Khrno

No one has ever bought me games. I've always bought them myself since the SNES which was the first console I purchased, since my mom never wanted to waste money on games, although she did let me to spend my saved money on them.

So back on topic, no I always buy the games that I want and even those that I don't want, for the backlog.

heringer

Hmm, never happened with a game, but I remember asking my father for a Seiya toy for my birthday and he got me this:

s-l225.jpg

I was so disappointed...

BigPete

Begged by parents for Dragon Warrior II. Got Double Dragon II instead.

I eventually also got Dragon Warrior II, so win win I guess. My 6 year old self was not happy at the time though.
Holy cow. I just posted my story and it was the exact same thing. I wonder how common this was?

owlbeak

Back when I was a kid, I kept telling my parents I wanted Dark Forces on PC for my upcoming birthday. On my birthday, there was a wrapped present on the table the size of a PC game box. I tore into the wrapping paper and, to my horror, discovered a "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" PC game. One of the more disappointing moments I have experienced to date.

My wife bought me "Legend of the River King" (GBA) like ten years ago. And when she gave it to me, very excitedly said "I know you love River Man".

I have never expressed interest in "River Man", and although I had heard of Legend of the River King, fishing RPGs aren't exactly something I have interest in.

I have no idea what game she might have thought I meant.

zelda-i-am-bagu-e.png

antitrop

I asked for this:

A4jwOQZ.jpg

And got this:

0BgdQes.jpg

I didn't even own an N64, so I had to send it back to my relative. I had plenty of friends that owned N64s and had copies of Goldeneye, so I did get to play that quite a lot without owning it myself.

Not exactly the same, but my parents bought me TMNT II: TAG for NES twice.

In the ended, I just traded it to a friend for Punch-Out!!

Win-Win

Rayderism

I can honestly say that no one has ever bought me the wrong game. The only time someone else ever bought me any games is when my Dad bought me a Pong system when I was 6. Every single game I've owned since I had to get myself.

Friend back in high school didn't know about video games very much so she bought what the guy at gamestop suggested for a "guy who likes video games"...

79891103001_l.jpg

Madden 10. I hate sports games. She didn't know, and I just traded it in the next day with the gift receipt for a full refund.

This is what I traded it in for (I know I know... it was fun for what it was back then)

Prototype_KeyArt_Logo_470x264_w_circle_R.jpg

Prototype That was more what I was into and had been not to subtly telling people I'd been looking at picking up for the last few weeks.

Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge (SNES)

256px-MetalcombatSNES_boxart.jpg

I ended up getting this game for Christmas. It requires a Super Scope to play. I didn't have a Super Scope.

I never actually got to play the game. I ended up putting it away somewhere and never saw it again.

I can't remember what games I asked for at the time, but I know for a fact none of them were Metal Combat.

My grandmother bought me Mortal Kombat 2 for SNES, but I had a Genesis. The guys at the store apparently told her that it was "just the same thing, so might as well get that one instead". I remember being pretty pissed at the store, and getting righteously indignant in a little kid way...I mean, did those dudes actualy feel good about tricking a little old lady? Was making that 60 dollar sale really worth it when it would just get returned anyway?

Print_Dog

My ex bought me Assassins Creed 2 for my birthday the year it came out, but I already had it. We took it back and bought a bunch of weed and played together.

I miss her...

Top Bottom