• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever bought you the wrong game?

jryeje29

Not me personally but one time for Christmas me and my best friend were hoping for modern warfare 2 and we stood up all Christmas Eve talking on Xbox party chat about how excited we were. When we finally both knocked out and woke up the next morning I woke up to modern warfare 2 while he very funny now not at the time woke up to modern warfare like cod 4 lmaooooo

Peltz

My parents were going to buy me Mortal Kombat for Genesis when someone in the store stopped them because they thought it would be too violent for me.

They ended up getting me Street Fighter II Championship Edition instead. I consider it a happy accident. SFII>>>>>>>>>MK.

I also asked my mom for NBA Jam for Genesis for months. She went to the store and picked up NBA Jam T.E. instead - it had literally just come out the day she visited the store. I didn't even know the game existed. When she brought it home, I didn't even realize I had a better version of the game until I played my friend's copy of the original. Another happy accident.

To be honest, I can't really recall a time when I got the wrong game and it turned out for the worse. I consider myself lucky.

zenspider

My girlfriend got me Splinter Cell on XBOX for my birthday.
Maybe she saw me playing Splinter Cell on my XBOX and thought I'd like it.

I bought myself Zone of the Enders from GameStop used. I opened the box and the disc was Zone of the Enders 2. An upgrade really because that's what I originally wanted, but they only had ZoE1 on display.

f9xhf0a.png

My godmother thought those windows to the right of "Metal" were 3 in roman numerals (Twisted Metal III).

It was quite sweet of her, though. =P

Before anyone says, "No big loss," I've never been in love with the first game, so I'd have been happy with 3 anyway. =P

We should see how many of these "mistakes" were in the favor of a cheaper game.

From a quick scan, not that many - and a number of them were for a more expensive game (Zelda 1 -> Zelda 2, SMB2 -> SMB3, etc.)
So, your implication by the quotation marks doesn't really hold up on average.

CDV13

I asked for a Bond game on PS1 once for Christmas, parents got me Mission Impossible instead.

I liked it a lot honestly, but It was too difficult for my young self to finish.

Opposite from that, asked my dad for DOA2 Hardcore, got that and he bought Burnout as well. I was blown away. Lol, enjoyed both and my dad actually played Burnout with me some, which he never played games really so that was nice.

I got Jade Cocoon for Christmas one year instead of Final Fantasy 9. I actually like Jade Cocoon, but it meant I didn't play FF9 until I got it on PSP.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My brother bought me Borderlands 2 once (along with Sanic Generations and Binary Domain), the latter 2 make sense for me as a SEGA fan but I have no idea why he picked Borderlands. Not at all into FPS, loot, multiplayer type games.

-Gozer-

I was at a store and decided to pick up Kid Icarus that I had played at my cousins house a few months earlier. I couldn't recall the name of the game and didn't quite remember what the gameplay looked like so I had to make a decision based on the box art.

Saw this:
56060-Legendary_Wings_(USA)-3.jpg

"Yeah. That's probably it."

Fortunately for me, Legendary Wings is more fun then Kid Icarus and also introduced me to the STG genre.

Glad I made that mistake.

That, and being an incredibly ungrateful child, I was furious when my parents bought me Mario Party DS instead of New Super Mario Bros or Mario Kart DS for Christmas one year.

giphy.gif

latest

Raw64life

Your 6 year old self had very good taste to ask for Dragon Warrior II

Dragon Warrior was the first game I ever played when I was 3 years old. Took me years to beat it with the help of my older brother and mom. Lifelong fan.

Holy cow. I just posted my story and it was the exact same thing. I wonder how common this was?

Enix isn't just incompetent with branding and marketing Dragon Quest in the west today. The incompetence goes all the way back the 80's, so it doesn't surprise me that this was a common thing.

My parents got me Diddy Kong Racing instead of Mariokart 64 one Christmas. I got so upset that they went and found Mariokart the very next day.

Merrydeath

My parents only screw up at least twice.

I asked for Power Rangers the Video game for snes for christmas
293125-mighty-morphin-power-rangers-snes-front-cover.jpg

Instead I got this

maxresdefault.jpg

a fighting game. Granted I owned a snes and a Genesis. I only have one controller on my genesis due incidents with Ice tea.

Q--_-

Yeah, my parent's used to get my siblings and I a present on Easter. One year I asked for Resident Evil Outbreak, but instead of Resident Evil Dead Aim. I won't lie, I wasn't disappointed cause I definitely had fun playing Dead Aim.

Zojirushi

I got the German version of Bioshock for my birthday which I knew was censored as fuck but after having it lie there unopened for a couple of days I finally decided to not give a fuck and just open and play it.

gattsu

I got gifted Lord of The Rings on Gamecube once because the guy at the game store said it was like Zelda.

So he did you a favor?

(Only slight sarcasm; the ps2-era LOTR games were god-tier, assuming we're talking about the Two Towers/Return of the King)

Top Bottom