• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever bought you the wrong game?

Crayolan

When I was really young I went over to a friend's house and he showed me Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. I thought it was awesome and asked my parents to take me to buy it, but I didn't actually know what the name of the game was and just bought the first Sonic game I found for Gamecube, which turned out to be Mega Collection.

I was pretty miffed and didn't play it out of spite for years but I was pretty happy it happened when I eventually did want to play the original trilogy.

YUP!

Christmas 2003. My mom was in an EB Games and called me at home to ask what I wanted. I asked for Yugioh World Wide Edition and Megaman Battle Network 3 (to this day I still wish I was there in the store with her). Ended up getting Yugioh Sacred Cards (which I still played the shit out of, but always felt that twinge of disappointment) and Mega Man Zero 2 (a game so hard I never made it past the 6th level, freaking boss on the blimp). Super disappointing Christmas, but I played it cool and had SOME fun with the games.

Eventually got the right games in 2004, but feel like those two slots were wasted since your parents only feel like buying you new games so often.

tr00per

latest

Came here for this.

"you've selected NO"

OT, I don't recall this ever happening to me, as I was always good at telling people exactly what it was

Yeah, I asked for Super Mario Bros. 2. I got this instead:

250px-Dk1.jpg

I was heartbroken.

I got SMB2 a few months later, though, so it all worked out.

I was a stupid kid. My grandparents had decided to buy me Pokémon Gold instead of Pokémon Silver like I had wanted.

I soon realized how superior Gold was to Silver so everything worked out in the end.

Opa-Pa

Ah yes, I remember when I was crazy hyped after playing the Metroid Prime Hunters demo that came with my DS and my mom offered to get me a game. I asked for the base game and she got me Prime Pinball.

I've never gotten the wrong game, but my parents woudl basically just buy whatever was in the bargain bin during the snes era.

The two times I just asked for a game, I ended up with Super R-type and Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

Honestly, I came out of that pretty well.

Timu

I ordered GTA Vice Story Stories, instead I ended up with Vice City(a game I already own on Xbox).

Thankfully I got Vice City Stories later on.

Sakura

I got FFIX instead of VIII.
I was disappointed at first, but after actually playing it was rather happy with the mistake.

I was a dumb kid and wanted a adventure game and had my eye on one of the spongebob titles for the gba, my mom asked the clerk what I'd like and I ended up with Golden Sun! Too bad i never finished it as a kid.

Chibot

Only once, but it was horrific:

Power Rangers instead of Final Fantasy VI

Child-me took a while to get over that.

Indelible

I asked for Zelda A Link to the Past for Christmas but instead my sister bought me Addams Family Values on SNES, it actually wasn't a horrible game so I wasn't to mad.

Our first Christmas together, my wife knew that I loved Madden but didn't buy that year's version yet. So she got me the Wii version.

It was so bad.

I'm surprised there aren't more stories of people getting expansions to games that don't have the base game for.

I got Diablo 2 Lords of Destruction, before I even got the base game. I was saving up to get Diablo 2, but something happened, and I had to put off buying it.

My sister thought she was gonna help me out, and bought me the game.... except it was the expansion, and I couldn't play it because I didn't have the base game. I was still pretty pumped about it, as I was gonna by the expansion pack some day, but It would be a couple of months before I could actually play the game.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Never the wrong game but wrong computer.

Wanted an Amiga but got an ST as parents fell for the con of the more educational software bundled with the ST would help my schooling.

And that shiny Batman pack Amiga was never mine.

As if I was interested in educational stuff...

RDreamer

Yeah, one Christmas I got Final Fantasy Tactics instead of Final Fantasy 7 (which woulda been my first FF at the time). I was disappointed at first and then thought it looked kinda cool... then got my ass handed to me and didn't pick it up again until after beating a few other FFs. Now Tactics is one of my top 2 or 3.

Rizzi

I asked for Wario's Woods for SNES as a kid, and recieved Lufia II instead.
So that worked out pretty well considering.

jbueno

Asked for SNK's Baseball Stars for the NES, got Tengen's RBI Baseball instead. That was one crappy birthday for a 5 YO me.

Also later on, asked for Goemon's Great Adventure for N64, got Battletanxs Global Assault for N64. Dad said it looked manlier, LOL. I didn't mind though, Battletanx GA was awesome.

EDIT:

Hey that´s the game I wanted!
˅
˅
˅

Many years ago my great aunt got me this because she thought it said "Pokemon":

ddvXIsx.png

Thankfully it turned out to be a pretty kickass game!

Kyrios

The only instance I can remember is I asked my aunt for the original Final Fantasy for PSP for Christmas, but got Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions instead.

In hindsight, I got the better deal since I was planning on getting that game with some Christmas money and the original Final Fantasy for PSP was cheaper anyway lol

I told my dad to buy me Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition for my 13th birthday, instead got Street Fighter X Tekken

Sorry if I made you feel old.

hainesdogg

Neo Member
Had asked for Final Fight one holiday, my parent got confused and got me Final Fantasy II instead. Was annoyed at first but after playing for a bit was pretty happy.

Breakaway

Happened to me twice. I asked my dad for Marvel vs Capcom so I could play as Spider-Man and he ended up coming back with Spider-Man on PS1. Needless to say, it blew my mind. The second time was when I wanted Star Wars: Starfighter after playing a demo and got Racer Revenge instead, which was pretty good.

When I was real young I really wanted a GameBoy Advance with Kirby for my birthday. Fortunately I was given Super Mario World with a GameBoy Advance instead and I became a lifelong Mario fan. Not that I don't like Kirby games, though, love 'em.

burnfout

Not the wrong game perse, but my parents gifted me Spec Ops for PS1 for Christmas, it was recommended in the store, but it was fucking terrible. Never told them.

milkham

I don't really remember getting many games as gifts, my family didn't do christmas and birthdays were not really a thing as I was growing up. The closest was probably when my cousin bought me Xenogears for ps1, I laughed and showed him my open copy that was right next to my ps1. He ended up putting more hours into his copy of the game than I did mine.

Ah yes, I remember when I was crazy hyped after playing the Metroid Prime Hunters demo that came with my DS and my mom offered to get me a game. I asked for the base game and she got me Prime Pinball.

Prime pinball was awesome!

fernoca

This kind of threads always make me remember, how awesome my mom was when it comes to purchases and how she nailed it. XD

She ordered games from the Sears Catalogs, then hid them and gave them to me randomly.

"He likes Super Mario Bros....lets get Super Mario Bros. 2"..."he likes elves and fantasy, so lets order this..Zelda game".

Hackworth

I know my dad got me the wrong Pokemon version when I was a kid? Same generation tho, so it was fine.
I don't remember which generation it actually was, which tells you how little of a problem it was.

GamerJM

Banned
This has never happened to me because my parents were pretty amazing growing up about paying attention to the stuff I wanted and I'm pretty thankful for that.

However, the closest thing to this that's ever happened is that the year the GBA came out, I wanted a GBA. But I didn't really specifically want any games for it. I just wanted it because I thought it was a cool piece of tech, new Nintendo hardware, and I knew that games that I wanted would eventually come to the system. So when my parents got me it they didn't really know what to get me with my GBA. So, one of the games they ended up getting was Monster Rancher Advance, and they specifically pointed out that they thought it was going to be like Pokemon, and they knew I liked Pokemon. Despite the monster raising elements I didn't really think it was anything like Pokemon at all, and the aspect of Pokemon that made me fall in love with the games (the turn-based RPG combat, so maybe in retrospect they should have gotten me Golden Sun or something) just wasn't there. So I sort of shelved the game for several months, though when I came back to it I realized it was a pretty cool game in its own right and had a lot of fun with it.

Peterthumpa

Never happened to me. In fact, one of the fondest memories that I have with my dad was when he drove me to the nearest big town (a 2hr trip) to buy me Ocarina of Time as a birthday gift.

Suffice to say the next few weeks were magical.

ZeroD

I asked for this:

A4jwOQZ.jpg

And got this:

0BgdQes.jpg

I didn't even own an N64, so I had to send it back to my relative. I had plenty of friends that owned N64s and had copies of Goldeneye, so I did get to play that quite a lot without owning it myself.

That 007 game boy was pretty amazing, I had so much fun with it.

On topic, I got two sims expansions one year for Christmas instead of the base game so they sat on my shelf until I had enough for the main game

As a kid, my dad bought me Diablo 1 extension when I didn't have the base game.

It was a surprise, we got it exchanged for the real game in the end.

bgbball31

To this day I'm still not sure which is which, but there was a baseball game for the PS1 that had a really cool home run derby mode. Basically every time my friend and I hung out we would play it. Even took a PS1 portable on a road trip (mom drove) to Hershey Park as kids and played it the whole way there. I wanted to buy the game for myself on day at Toys R Us, but couldn't remember what it was since there were a few different baseball games per year, and picked the wrong one.

Fake edit: I wanted Triple Play 2001 by EA, I bought MLB 2001 by 989.

deo

Banned
I got a DS for Christmas back in 2006 and I got Nintendogs instead of Mario Bros. But My dad was so awesome that he got me it a few days later without bringing back Nintendogs! (I actually kind of liked it. I had a dog named Feather)

I brought it to church one day and some asshat stole it. Who steals a DS in church?!?!?! Come on, man!

Myriadis

My brother and I wanted Mischief makers, my father bought Ocarina of Time because he didn't like the look of Mischief Makers.
Quickly realized that he did well.

Cepheus

I think I was just too young to buy Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 so sent my mother to buy it for me. She came back with the original MvC3, and this was years after it came out so on top of it being a version behind, the online was deader than dead. Never did buy UMvC3 and I just traded the latter in.

That, and being an incredibly ungrateful child, I was furious when my parents bought me Mario Party DS instead of New Super Mario Bros or Mario Kart DS for Christmas one year.

Top Bottom