• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever tried Minoxidil for beard growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvard

Yes I am completely out of touch and gladly. If your willing to do basically anything for looks I think you need professional help. I'm just one dude though and my opinion doesn't mean shit.

I suppose nobody can accuse you of a complete lack of self awareness.

WarrenD

Anyone recommend a U.K. Version? My growth is patchy as hell but looks decent in the areas it grows so kinda wanna get the full monty.

darscot

Seriously guys I had no intention or offending anyone but clearly I have pissed you guys off. I'll happily take the L and let this thread carry on.

A lot of guys really want beards these days. Sometimes you just don't have the genetics for it folks.

Maybe go with a "man-bun" instead OP.

Don't your arms get harrier too when you use minoxidil?
Also, I wouldn't personally use it for beard with the risk of it affecting my hair when I stop. That'll be the the bigger of two evils.

Imagine if you have a son and you pass on your shit facial hair genetics to him, and he's all confused like "why can't I grow a beard like my father?"

Then you have to sit him down like "son, I have something to tell you. My beard is a lie." You dramatically pull out a bottle of rogaine like it's some secret elixer or some shit, and say "you must rub this on your face every time the sun rises and sets".

While this is happening your wife is secretly listening from the hallway all devastated like "the man I married isn't.....a man at all.....", and she leaves you to be with a true viking who can grow a glorious beard naturally.

Imagine if you have a son and you pass on your shit facial hair genetics to him, and he's all confused like "why can't I grow a beard like my father?"

Then you have to sit him down like "son, I have something to tell you. My beard is a lie." You dramatically pull out a bottle of rogaine like it's some secret elixer or some shit, and say "you must rub this on your face every time the sun rises and sets".

While this is happening your wife is secretly listening from the hallway all devastated like "the man I married isn't.....a man at all.....", and she leaves you to be with a true viking who can grow a glorious beard naturally.

Haha. I remember having a conversation with my dad about the strange beard.

Me: Hey dad, what's with the dark facial hair but blonde mustache?

Father: Sorry son, I blame my dad too.

Peltz

I am not angry at all. Not sure what I said to make everyone think I am worked up about this or that I am bothered by it. I am surprised by it that is all. I think its sad that as a society this is where we are going. When I was in highschool it just became ok to use gel in your hair. My first year the older guys would openly mock you for it. Because of my age and demographic I grew up that products were frowned on an negative. I am happy about that. I can't imagine what it will be like, in the future will guys have the full suite of products and equipment? If they want that I have no issue with it. I am just glad none of that shit matter or was important in my time of coming of age.

Hey man, don't hate on dudes who want to look fly. You have a pretty outdated notion of gender stereotypes in your head. If a guy wants to use moisturizer on his face to keep from aging, or use Rogain in his hair to keep from balding, I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Despite your opinion, looks do matter. People who look good (including men) get opportunities in life that do not come to those who do not look as good. If you deny this, you deny reality. Looks aren't everything, but there's nothing wrong with trying to do the best with what you've been given by the genetic lottery.

As long as you don't obsess over looks to an unhealthy degree, there's nothing wrong with it.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'm just the opposite. His 5 month pic is basically me after 2 weeks. I have to shave every freaking day. Shit is annoying. A beard just would not fly at my job.

Its not worth the health risk IMO - but then again folks do lots of unhealthy stuff.

I can't grow a full beard the way I want to. I mean I could but it takes too long and I'd look way too unprofessional to be going into work looking like a bum. So eternal goatee for me. Thankfully that comes in well.

I'm just the opposite. His 5 month pic is basically me after 2 weeks. I have to shave every freaking day. Shit is annoying. A beard just would not fly at my job.

Its not worth the health risk IMO - but then again folks do lots of unhealthy stuff.

Christ I envy you. Just one time..
One fucking time I want dat full beard. So full so epic.

You live a life I envy.

Haha. I remember having a conversation with my dad about the strange beard.

Me: Hey dad, what's with the dark facial hair but blonde mustache?

Father: Sorry son, I blame my dad too.

Yeah my dad can grow more than I can, but still can't grow a full beard.

When I was a kid I was like "have you ever grown a beard?" and he was like "No, I can't grow one" all matter of fact.

That was that end of that lol.

brawly

I have pretty good growth around the chin and I'm happy about it because whenever my dumbass decides to trim it I instantly regret it.

Hair on the cheeks are basically non-existant and it sucks. I have a good amount on the neck though :(

I don't know how many of these "oh I can grow a beard in a week / day / minute" posts are real or vastly exaggerating.

Those of you posting such things, why don't you go unshaven for a week and post your results? We wanna take a look at those 1 week superbeards. Or maybe your growth isn't as fast as you may think it is.

I don't have a 1 week photo handy, but here's my beard at 1 month unshaven and ~5 months unshaven. I'd say my growth is subpar, but I'll live with what I can get.

AhhtecL.jpg

SNxUDDV.jpg

I'm 27. The patchy look isn't a good look for me since I work in a office and deal with people all day. I don't like shaving everyday.

This is somewhat how my facial looks. Mines maybe a slightly more fuller. I'm definitely not as dreamy looking as this dude either.

167.jpg

I have exactly the same problem as you, I tried to leave if without shaving for a year, it never grew more than it was after 3 months (29 years old here, so its not becuase my beard still needs to grow)
Its shit becuase it still grows but it grows in a horrible way, so you need to shave and dont have the chance to have it in a nice way, so i feel you.

I read the thread and Minoxidil from the results of some of the videos looked like a great idea, but it seems super harmful so im not even going to try it.
And i dont even thing you can buy this stuff in europe either.
EDIT
Oh just looked and it seems you can buy it were i live. Thought that with all this health issues it would be some of this type of things that are only sold in america.

The people who report any actually harmful side effects are in the super minority, seriously.

All the drugs people do, shit people eat, living sedentary lifestyles... rubbing minoxidil on your face really isn't seriously harmful to health

CFMOORE!

What about us who have shit hair and shit beards? :(

this is why i'd give this a shot. as someone with shit hair AND shit facial hair (i've bic'ed my head, i ALSO have the worst headshape ever, it's really unflattering) i need some relief, a beard can make up for what i lack up top.

here's a link http://imgur.com/a/IYLGP to what I am currently working with. 7 days unshaven, what you see here only get longer and weird as fuck looking. as you can see, i have ALMOST zero hair on my cheeks/jaw. I am going to try this with a once a day application (two if i am not lazy). i will post results every now and then.

also, I am 35 years old and have pretty much had the same facial hair pattern for the past decade.

molnizzle

Man. Some of y'all missed your calling my not joining the military.

Half the reason I got out was to avoid having to shave every day. lol

Man. Some of y'all missed your calling my not joining the military.

Half the reason I got out was to avoid having to shave every day. lol

It's been repeated, dudes with patchy facial hair still need to shave. We don't want to have to, we want to trim and groom a decent look

this is why i'd give this a shot. as someone with shit hair AND shit facial hair (i've bic'ed my head, i ALSO have the worst headshape ever, it's really unflattering) i need some relief, a beard can make up for what i lack up top.

here's a link http://imgur.com/a/IYLGP to what I am currently working with. 7 days unshaven, what you see here only get longer and weird as fuck looking. as you can see, i have ALMOST zero hair on my cheeks/jaw. I am going to try this with a once a day application (two if i am not lazy). i will post results every now and then.

also, I am 35 years old and have pretty much had the same facial hair pattern for the past decade.
This is me (albeit 23) and I rage so hard when I think about my dad who said he has had a full beard since 18 and shaves everyday. Just fucking lol at genetics tbh.

Singher

Neo Member
I am not angry at all. Not sure what I said to make everyone think I am worked up about this or that I am bothered by it. I am surprised by it that is all. I think its sad that as a society this is where we are going. When I was in highschool it just became ok to use gel in your hair. My first year the older guys would openly mock you for it. Because of my age and demographic I grew up that products were frowned on an negative. I am happy about that. I can't imagine what it will be like, in the future will guys have the full suite of products and equipment? If they want that I have no issue with it. I am just glad none of that shit matter or was important in my time of coming of age.

hahaha. Your post is so ignorant that it's adorable. You've somehow deluded yourself into thinking that people in the 80's and 90's didn't give a shit about their appearance.

I don't even know where to begin. First of all, your friends did follow trends and patterns. I bet my life that your friends got the haircuts that they did and wore the clothes that they did because of the societal times they were living in. It's the same shit with beards. You mention that products were frowned upon, but you do realize that people in your fathers generation put fucking grease in their hair to style it right? I can even go further back! People have been caring about their appearance since the dawn of time! Have you not seen any art of prior civilizations? Romans, greeks, renaissance men all cared about their appearance!

My brother is 43 years old, it's not an age thing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Honestly, I wouldn't even be all that worried unless you were lathering up with this stuff. They sell it next to the shampoo; I would be surprised if it was more dangerous than aspirin (which itself can cause bleeding, ulcers and even stroke).

When it comes to weird shit people do for appearance, this is like bottom of the list in my opinion.

Gibbs

Don't your arms get harrier too when you use minoxidil?
Also, I wouldn't personally use it for beard with the risk of it affecting my hair when I stop. That'll be the the bigger of two evils.

No. The false info with minoxidil is unreal. The main thing is if you stop using it, whatever hair grew will fall out. It's like a committed relationship once you start using it. You can't stop. If you do, all progress goes bye bye.

I use it for my head, I was nearly bald on top. I started in November 26 2016 and I have regrown quite a bit of hair on my head. For five months its pretty good, considering it takes up to 4 months to see any regrowth. I saw progress in 3 weeks.

Can you grow hair elsewhere? Sure I don't see why not, depending if you apply the product there. I simply put it on my head and rub it in with my hands. Washing your hands after is stated in the directions. If you want harrier arms, apply it to your arms. Want a beard, or help grow one, apply it to your face. Simple really.

Hydrus

The people who report any actually harmful side effects are in the super minority, seriously.

All the drugs people do, shit people eat, living sedentary lifestyles... rubbing minoxidil on your face really isn't seriously harmful to health

I think the ones that do report the really bad sides are using way too much of this stuff. The instructions tell you to not use more than 2 ml a day for your head hair. If you use it for your face, you should obviously use way less.

brawly

I don't have a 1 week photo handy, but here's my beard at 1 month unshaven and ~5 months unshaven. I'd say my growth is subpar, but I'll live with what I can get.

Most men could never attain your 5 month beard if they stopped shaving for the rest of their life.

I don't think that's anywhere near subpar growth man, it already looks very dense 1 month in. For reference here's what most 1 month old beards looks like in the beard subreddit.

I know mine doesn't grow anywhere near as dense in that time (and there are some gaps under my mouth) but I'm guessing I'm a lot younger than you so hopefully at some point I'll get there.

Harmen

Yes, minoxidil is FDA approved for hair growth on the scalp. NO, minoxidil has not been approved for hair growth on the face (in the beard area). I am no expert on this subject, but I do know that the skin varies in structure and absorption rates across the body. Skin on the scalp is different. It may very well be that certain side effects may arise when applied differently than instructed. Do not underestimate potential side effect, especially when they involve your cardiovascular system and when you are planning long term use.

A quote from a quick google:

It is very important that you use this medicine only as directed. Do not use more of it and do not use it more often than your doctor ordered. To do so may increase the chance of it being absorbed through the skin. For the same reason, do not apply minoxidil to other parts of your body. Absorption into the body may affect the heart and blood vessels and cause unwanted effects.
Source: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/minoxidil-topical-route/proper-use/drg-20068750

Don't do this people, unless it is tested. It can cause serious harm to your body.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
We really have gone full retard if people are taking supplements to enhance beard growth.
That guys 1 year is me at 3 weeks.
People take it for their scalp for the exact same purpose. Nobody cares how good your personal beard is. I practically guarantee you that on average men would much rather have my thick unreceding, ungreying hairline than a full beard. That doesn't mean you see me going into the bald thread and laughing.

Manoko

The number of people in this thread telling their beard at X amount of days look better than this guy after 1-6 months, misunderstanding that he obviously shaves some fixed time before taking the progress photos is insane.

I mean, come on guys.
You don't need a PhD to get that.

IMHO, forget that stuff. Trust me. Age helps. It helps a lot. My facial hair growth is better at 32 now than ever. It's better now at 32 than it was at 24, which was better than it was at 19. I've went from having quite a few patch spots at 19, and barely being able to grow a goatee to having full beard at 32 with no visible signs of patch spots.

The popularity of beards is officially out of hand.
Maybe, but personally, I had a beard before it grew in popularity in recent years, and will have one after dies back down.

eot

Banned

If you think that's subpar you don't have a frame of reference for what's normal.

DOWN

Banned
i am screaming this is so funny. i cannot believe

it is so incredible that people can't figure out that the guy has trimmed his facial hair regularly in all the OP photos and is simply comparing the density of USING THE PRODUCT 6 MONTHS, rather than straight up never shaving for 6 months

the misinterpretations here are incredible

Those things tend to help grow bum fluff instead of terminal hair. If you want a pube beard go for it!

Some men just don't have the goods, or get them later in life. I had the chin and tache from school but didn't get a full thick beard until my early 30's. I didn't get much progress in my 20's at all.

Lot's of young men panic that they have no facial hair but just need a little patience.

The potential side effects are not worth it.

As an aside, is anyone else here hairy AF and can grow a great beard, but also balding on the head? Frustrating.

Manoko

That stuff doesn't work well if that's all he can grow in six months. I look like that after about 3 days.

giphy.gif

i am screaming this is so funny. i cannot believe

it is so incredible that people can't figure out that the guy has trimmed his facial hair regularly in all the OP photos and is simply comparing the density of USING THE PRODUCT 6 MONTHS, rather than straight up never shaving for 6 months

the misinterpretations here are incredible

It's insane, I can't believe so many people fall for that.

People synthetically growing beards to look appealing to others.... smh
Side effects like hair falling out and dark circles and it's all good because "it's fda approved you idiots" ...smh
Arguing about beards.... smh

The price of insecurity is steep.

People synthetically growing beards to look appealing to others.... smh
Side effects like hair falling out and dark circles and it's all good because "it's fda approved you idiots" ...smh
Arguing about beards.... smh

The price of insecurity is steep.

I love how obnoxiously judgmental this post it. How dare people have insecurities and take minor health risks to improve their look?

You guys act like it has the same side effects as smoking meth. The most common side effect is freaking dried skin

I can't take it anymore, I ordered it+dermaroller+ ph balanced facial cleanser. I have to at least try before I lay down and accept my full beardless fate.

I have 0 cheek facial hair, will update if I ascend

Angry Grimace

I can't take it anymore, I ordered it+dermaroller+ ph balanced facial cleanser. I have to at least try before I lay down and accept my full beardless fate.

I have 0 cheek facial hair, will update if I ascend
You can always get your butt hairs transplanted into your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom