• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here gaming for less than 5 hours a week?

This past school semester I played maybe 15 - 20 hours total. Mostly MGS5 which I still haven't beat, and Sunset Overdrive, with a few others sprinkled in as well.

In the past 3 weeks that I've been out of school I've beat Sunset Overdrive, played through all of Deus Ex Mankind Divided, and put a about 15 hours into Pokemon Sun. I feel like I've accomplished so much now, lol.

Got to get in as much as possible before I go back to school in a little over a week.

Zojirushi

Yeah, most weeks less than five, like way less.

Unfortunately that has nothing to do with lack of time (job but no family so theoretically I could probably fit in more like five hours a day if I really wanted) but with my interest in gaming falling off step by step.

Managed to still get through a couple of games this year and plan on playing Doom and maybe one other game during Christmas/New Years Eve brake to make my top ten list.

The interesting thing is with five hours a week you can still finish a lot of games during one year and it makes you way more focused in a way. For example nowadays I'm wasting zero time with collectibles, achievements or open world time filler stuff. Just get straight to the meat of a game.

Despite having all the time and access in the world to play games, I rarely feel like it unless it's a new game. Then I'll binge it in a few days and go back into hiding.

Lucky if I get 30mins of vidya in a week. Wife, job and 2 week old daughter.

Just hanging in there for when she gets a little independent so I can get some time in.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I play maybe one a week. There are people that play 5 hours a week? How does that happen when people have work and so many good tv shows and the internet?

Sure, me for example. Plus I have a full-time job, wive, and a dog.

But I have the advantage of just working three 12 hour night shifts a week. My wive also works the same, but the days differ depending on our schedule for the month. So the vast majority of my weeks include at least one day where I am off and she is on. Once midnight hits those nights, there is little else to do besides game or stream movies/tv shows. I dedicate the majority of that time to gaming.

So I would say I average over 8 hours a week.

Ushay

I get about 4-8 hours a week. Job, wife and kid.

Ye same situation and I get just over 10 hours if I really try.Which t be honest is plenty for me and I still get through a lot of games. No buying for me until June next year, I should get through my backlog by then.

Xe4

Banned
I average 5 hours a week, though that swings wildy from almost twenty a week to zero. I've recently been working my way through The Witcher 3, but I just play what I feel like. There'stons of stuff for me to play, since I am not that active.

Lately I have about 5 hours a week, and I just recently started DOOM 2016, Batman Akham Knight (PS4 amazon price error last from last year) and hotline miami. I'm having a blast with them all.

While I don't plan to track down every Riddler trophy and do every optional quest, I can see myself easily putting in 40+ hrs into Batman alone. I've got virtual stacks of 100 hour RPGs that I probably won't get to until I retire. At the very least I'll get some extra weekend gaming in here and there.

So many great holiday sales this year and I didn't add anymore to the backlog - achievement unlocked.

I'd say 5-10 hrs a week but 99% of that is 3DS, Vita and mobile. I typically only play through 3 or 4 console games a year. Most of my gaming is done on handhelds while watching tv with my wife in the evenings. I also spend a couple hours a week playing old GameCube and Wii games with my kids.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I'd say 5-10 hrs a week but 99% of that is 3DS, Vita and mobile. I typically only play through 3 or 4 console games a year. Most of my gaming is done on handhelds while watching tv with my wife in the evenings. I also spend a couple hours a week playing old GameCube and Wii games with my kids.

That's me.

I like playing games while some tv show is running in the background. Strangely, it is more relaxing this way.

Me, quite often.

(1) Work is quite demanding
(2) I have a lot of other hobbies, most of which I prioritize OVER gaming
(3) I have quite the active social life -- family, a small group of very close friends, and quite often a girlfriend too. (When a girlfriend enters the picture, that's usually when my gaming time takes the biggest hit.)

Whatever time I have for gaming I spend playing some combination of my current single player game, a retro game, and Resident Evil 4.

I noticed that in the second half of 2016 I spent a LOT less time reading GAF, and that gave me like a 2 hour a week boost of actual video game playing time.

before FF15, i just dabbled in retro games for 30 mins or so after work then jump on my 3ds for a few short segment replays of ace attorney before going to sleep.

Me.

Struggling to get motivated to even boot up the consoles or open Steam. Got a ridiculous backlog as a result. I do read gaming news/forums for hours sometimes though..

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Meanwhile, I've dumped 26 hours into Final Fantasy 15 in the last 4 days.

Only on Chapter 5.

If so, what do you play?

Also, congrats on the job, s.o., or kid.

I have no job, s.o., or kid. Virtually zero responsibilities... and I barely get one hour of play a week most of the time :\

Completely abandoned consoles this generation. Mainlybarely play on 3DS...

I blame the internet.

Gonna gift my two nephews New 3DS each today, and will probably play some multiplayer with them. That will be a highlight. I'm hoping they drag me to play more frequently with them as a result, but knowing my reclusive nature, fat chance.

Fury451

Banned
Unfortunately no. My job keeps me busy and is very mentally and emotionally taxing, and I don't drink, so I game to try and recharge.

It's kind of unhealthy because some weeks it's about 40 hours total. I'm getting better about doing other things again though.

Neolombax

5 hours give or take. Currently playing FFXV. I get to play at night after everything else is done (house work, wife, kid, etc). Sometimes I'm just too tired and sleep.

Melubas

I think I'm somewhere around there, can't say for sure if I'm under five hours though. With my job and the writing and reading taking priority there's only so much time left. Strictly my own choice though. If I wanted to I could play like five hours a day.

jrDev

Id be happy to get 5 hours a month. I'm usually tired after work, doing stuff with wife or just feel like I should be doing something else important...I just got a PS4 with 4 games too...
Me!

Anyone else roll their eyes to see people spoiler-tagging endgame discussions literally one day after games are released??

I can understand people that do this as a job, but I couldn't even do this when I had no job, wife or responsibilities...

AgeEighty

I'm probably fairly close to that at the moment. I'm in a lull with FFXIV before the patch, and I've finished FFXV. Just working on The Last Guardian and only doing that when the gf is around to watch.

5 hours a week? What am I, 15? Yeah I usually just find a game that has a ton of awesome things about it, or a cool world I wanna be in, and just run around for 5 minutes til I fall asleep to the virtual immersion. It's way less frustrating than falling asleep as you just begin a mission. #Dadlife :p

manzo

Wife, 2 small kids, full time job and a gym hobby. My weekly game time is around 1-3 hours. I've finished lots of games in very small bursts, so it's doable.

Mine is a special case currently. I can only really game for two weeks out of every month, due to my work schedule of seven days on/seven days off. When it's my work week, I don't play video games, and if I do, it's only for about 10-30 minutes total for that week. I don't really have time for gaming during my work week.

During my week off, I sometimes spend large amounts of time gaming, but it's generally single player only. I am sometimes needed to help around the house, so I don't really play online games very often when off work, since I never know when I'm needed. So...during my week off, I spend anytime between 5-24 hours gaming? I don't keep track.

NinjaBoiX

A couple of hours a week, I have a very busy, time-consuming job.

Playing Until Dawn at the minute, it's OK I guess.

SheHateMe

Wife and a 2 year old, 50+ hour a week job.

I get maybe 5 hours a week? Maybe?

It's increased because of the N3DS the wife got me and I've been playing Super Mario Maker, Super Metroid, and A Link to the Past every chance I get.

I miss DestinyGAF and my backlog looks like complete crap.

I've resigned myself to cut back on my purchases next year; hopefully I can make it through the first 90 days without adding to my backlog.
Yeah, right.

On a busy month, I only get to play 5 hours a week. It's the reason why I enjoy pick-up-and-play games that involve skill more than story-driven ones, especially those that require a lot of grinding to progress.

After the holidays, these will be my comfort games:

Steep - My new chill game; perfect for ambient music and trance
Rocket League - 3 rounds of online trashing
Gundam Breaker 3 - Button masher to release tension
NBA 2K!7 - Fun with peeps

redcrayon

Wife, job, commute, baby.

Virtually all my gaming time is on my commute, and even then it depends if I can get a seat. Normally my train to work is packed half the time but my train home empty, so that's when I play. Average is 4-8 hours a week. Looking forward to the Switch.

I mostly chip away at rpgs and various smaller indie games on the portables, picked up the latest Phoenix Wright game in the eshop sale so that's my January gaming sorted.

Yup havent really had time to play much the last two weeks. Too tired at night to play and just watch the news and straight to bed. Hopefully I get some FFXV in this weekend.

TrueOutlook

Neo Member
I usually have the weekends free if I don't have any other prior commitments, but due to a long commute, I don't really have any time during weekdays. So maybe around 5 - 10 hours depending on how free my weekend is?

Currently I'm on holiday from work though, so I'm pretty much gaming daily in between seeing friends.

Reporting in, probably get 3-4 hours per week.

Just Halo 5 MP.

As much as I want to play the great SP games I got over the holidays, I would rather have fun socially playing with friends.

Kikorin

I spent more time talking about games than playing them. Problem is I've starter a new activity only some months ago and I'm always pretty busy, also I usually works at PC and a lot of times I've no energy to stay in front of a TV when I've finished to work.

Anyway I usually play on handheld, I've about 21 hours played in Pokémon Moon by now and I'm going very slow because I don't want to rush it. Same with ReCore, I've just seen the final boss yesterday even if I bought the game like a month or more ago.

Way less than that. I'd say the median amount of time I spend gaming is 0 hours per week. It's only really when I visit my brother or family that I play games anymore. That might change with the switch though.

My partner isn't into gaming and we're always doing other stuff.

E-phonk

Banned
I have two jobs, so often not enough time.
When there is something new out that grabs my full attention I can play 20+ hours for a week, but afterwards it quickly gets back to maybe 2-3 hours a week.

SURGEdude

I likely average 5 hours a week. Some weeks I play way less than that and some more. I play pretty much the same stuff most of Gaf does though I don't play at more than moderate difficulty unless I'm in love with a game. That way I can still get through them in a reasonable time. Every now and then I will ramp up the difficulty if a game is just too easy at normal. Though I'm not better than average in my gaming skills so most titles at normal have the intended effect on me.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
My busy season for work ended yesterday, I've barely had time to do anything but eat and sleep the past 2 months. Only game I've played maybe an hour a week is FH3. But now I have 3 months of downtime to catch up on life. Bout to dive into FFVX.

Also..I need a new job bad.

Been getting prepped for part 2 of my Design Job interview/presentation, so I have been pretty light on gaming recently.

Though when I do, I am playing Overwatch, BF1, Destiny. I bought Doom in the Winter sale... but I feel that if I touch it, I won't stop.

Top Bottom