• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here gaming for less than 5 hours a week?

Sizzel

Work -School-Social Life-Gym..so yeah real life happened..and it is way better.

I pick very selectively for big releases and now see why mobile is a thing. I can rip off Super Mario Run at my desk for a second and go back to working. I play more indies since they tend to be quicker, hate open world games. I often pick up games and just drop them if I don;t like them because gaming on a game I don't love is not a priority.. there is a long list of things I would rather/have to do over playing a game that I don't like.

This year I played to completion( to cut out the myriad of games I dropped quickly or Overwatch) Doom, UC4, Inside, Blood and Wine, DS3+ Expansion , Dragon's Dogma PC, Shadow Complex Remaster, Firewatch.

Loving looking over end of year lists for mobile(yes I know I make myself sick) and indie gems I missed since I can sneak them in pretty easy.

Lothar

Banned
I play maybe one a week. There are people that play 5 hours a week? How does that happen when people have work and so many good tv shows and the internet?

ngower

Usually, that's me. I'll just play whatever is on my plate at the time. During the semester I'm usually playing FIFA because it's easy and mindless.

Fewr

I'm doing pokemon shuffle occassionally*, and on weekends I do a couple of rounds of Triforce Heroes and some Pokémon Moon.

I do my gaming on sat and sunday mornings when everyone is asleep still.

I might get Xenoblade 3d or Dragon Quest VII after I'm done with Moon, but I'm scared of the lentgth of those games.

*Ï'll probably mighrate to hearthstone or eternal ccg once I get fed up with it.

messiaen

I sporadically play Overwatch mostly. Maybe two or three matches when I do sit down to play; so about an hour to an hour and a half, two or three times a week.

*Raises hand*

I don't have regular time for gaming any more. I'll play a handful of games in a year and run through them fairly quickly. But there are long lulls where I'll play only if people want to get out Mario Kart/Nintendoland/Rocket League after a party.

dh4niel

I play a few hours of Battlefield 1 in the evening with friends and that's it. I wanted to use the holidays to catch up on some other games but never did.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I barely have enough time lately with just work and partner eating it all up. When I do get to play its WoW surprisingly enough. Legion has really done a good job in allowing you to jump in for a few hours and do some content without worry.

Other than that I just bought a PS4 and will be starting ratchet and clank, should be a good one

I play less than hour a week lol. job + kid = no time. So much home work to do. At the end of the day too tired to do gaming. I do gaming for fun and only time i do it when i have absolutely nothing else to do but enjoy my time.

Yup...but it's life. Work, social life...not enough time . If I want to be real...I probably game less than 10 hours an entire month and I have a huge backlog.

finley83

Banned
Most of the time, yeah. I don't really have the time or energy any more.

Spent most of my gaming time this week playing Doom Classic Complete on PS3, as I don't feel like sitting at my desktop PC any more!

jonno394

On avergae I say 5 hours or less is what I usually do via choice.

Weekdays I can game between 1-3 hours in total between M-F. If I have a game I'm really in to (Skyrim atm) I can binge 3-5 hours over the weekend.

I hope I'm never in a situation where I can consistently only spend 2-5 hours on my hobby a week. But I don't have kids so that helps.

Most of the time, yeah. I don't really have the time or energy any more.

Spent most of my gaming time this week playing Doom Classic Complete on PS3, as I don't feel like sitting at my desktop PC any more!

I don't either half the time. I just run an HDMI to my TV, connect my controller and Viola.

Phantom Liber

Neo Member
Between part-time work and an ailing relative, I'm lucky to get five hours a week so I lean towards things that can be done n short bursts like Virtual Console Mario World, Mega Man 7, Bravely Second or Rune Factory at the moment.

Shambala

Yup long work hours plus a baby on the way.. I only play destiny from time to time. Waiting on that horizon tho 🙌

I sometimes don't even game 5 hours in a month.

This whole Christmas break I've gotten only 3 hours in three week. I've been working and doing other things with my time.

I'm curious honestly how much time to do you guys spend watching TV (sports, fights etc are included) or Movies. On social media. All the little other vices you have.

I spend less than an hour on average a day watching TV. I don't watch sports. I spend almost no time on social media outside of GAF. I'd say I spend an hour or two on GAF a day but I'm often multi-tasking somewhat when I do get on GAF. (While on break/lunch). I'm either with friends/family or playing games usually.

If you guys are curious you can check your app manager or battery usage for screen usage on IoS etc. To see just how much time you have things open. Might surprise you.

Basically what I find is it's a choice on how to spend your time and most people I talk to about this kind of thing are simply choosing either consciously or subconsciously to do other things as there is time to play games they just don't allot time to it.

Ugh, yeah, it's so hard to get "consumed' by a game anymore because of this.

Taking time off between Christmas and New Year's and binging FFXV has been such a respite though. So much fun getting hooked on a game again.

That's me. Two kids plus a full time+ job.

I could play 2-3 hours a night but I usually prioritize other things - if I find a game I really love then I might be in for 20 hours/wk but most weeks are much less than that, sometimes 0. I love games but I love other things too.

I've stopped gaming completely and just watch Giant Bomb videos.

Too tired from work to play during weekdays and social life takes over weekends.

I'm currently taking a break from grad school and have no plans on going back in the near future so I just have to worry about work and I don't have any kids but I just don't play as much as before.

I find myself more and more going on binges, laying off for a few weeks then binging again. Example, when 3 weeks before Rise of Iron launched I was back on Destiny, raiding, doing weeklies, bounties etc. Right through Rise of Iron I kept playing and about 4 weeks after releases I was done.

Took a break and now I'm currently replaying all the Gears game with my friend over XBL (this marks the second consecutive year we've done this and I might wanna make it a tradition) and I'm also playing Dishonored de on PS4 (which I've never played before).

During my downtime I'm totally connected, watching gaming podcasts, reading, on Gaf all the time but I just don't feel like playing. In 2017 I've made it a goal start and finish games and play more.

Lady Gaia

This week and next? Zero hours. Then again, I'm walking on the beach, swimming, and experiencing amazing sunsets so it's a fine tradeoff. Chiming in here gives me enough of a connection to the hobby to keep me going until I return and pick up my usual 10+ hours a week.

psyfi

Banned
I'm at about 8 to 12 hours a week probably. I have a pretty rich social life + school + work, but I really value my mellow gaming time.

Peltz

Me. I still think 5 hours a week is plenty of time for gaming. I play almost everything.

I just don't focus so much on completing my games.

I've spent more time on steam and CD keys buying PC games for $5-10 dollars than time spent playing anything. Plus I got Rise of Tomb Raider and Until Dawn heavily discounted a few weeks ago. It never ends...

Trying to finish Pokemon and Hyper Light Drifter, but I have the added benefit of gaming at work, while it's slow.

And it's been slow since the second half of November.

I play maybe 4 hours a week. Probably 3 of them at weekends.

No girlfriends but a dog, gym and social life.

Also Netflix is such a a contender for my free time.

My wishlist (no backlog) includes TLG, FFXV, GR2, Yakuza 0, RE7 and Dragons Dogma.

So...

bman94

As of late I've been putting a lot of hours into gaming since I'm on Winter break. But when I'm working yeah I'm lucky to get 5 hours out of a week. I'm so exhausted when I get home the only thing I do is pretty much eat, get ready for the next day and watch Youtube.

Spouse, kids, and full-time job.

All told, I'm probably right at the 5 hours per week threshold, with the majority of that played on the weekend.

Job is only 4 days a week but I'm mainly catching up on lack of sleep on days off. That and a wife whom I only see on days off so not a lot of free time like I used to. Mainly just play bf1 and the occasional single player game which takes me a month to beat sometimes. Right now I'm on my 3rd week playing hitman and only just got to 2nd level

GNOSIS

I just started Prison Architect. Spent almost 2 hours learning how to play it then played it for another 2 hours.

Before that, I tried to finish The Last Remnant and failed to do so again. This BR thing annoyed me.

Currently playing a ton because of holidays and a lot of time off, but normally I play around 5 hours on an average week. There's a couple of things I have to do to stay sane:

• Play one game at a time
  • Never play too "big" games back-to-back. If I play an RPG or any title I put a ton of time into, I almost always burn through several smaller games afterward in order to not feel stagnant.

The last two weeks, yes.

I cleared everything I felt super attached to this year, everything else right now is backlogged largely because it got overshadowed by something that I found better or I didn't actually find it interesting enough to see to the end. A few of those games that got overshadowed, I revisited and completed, which was both SUPERHOT and Gravity Rush Remastered. It only took me about 2 hours to clear SUPERHOT's main campaign from scratch and Gravity Rush turned out to be only about an hour and a half from completion from when I was playing it at its launch early this year.

I also have this weird psychological hype problem where I get so excited about some upcoming games that it diminishes my appetite for any other games, even games that might be similar or even belong to the exact franchise (in the case of sequels). Right now my hype is really focused on Yakuza 0 and Persona 5, and everything else that I could be playing right now (and my options are pretty diverse) seems not that interesting, because I'm just longing to dive into those two games more than anything else. So that's in effect right now, with Yakuza 0 less than a month away. I've been excited for Persona 5 since it's first full trailer, but my recent completion of Final Fantasy XV and Pokemon Sun/Moon kinda got me way back into JRPGs and the turn of the year finally representing the year I get to play Persona 5 has kicked that stupid hype blockage into full effect, with the only unaffected game being Yakuza 0.

120v

i don't know if it's under 5 hours but for somebody so infatuated with the hobby i don't spend an awful lot of time actually gaming for whatever reason

Pau

Unfortunately. Been mostly playing Pokémon Moon. I really wanted to use the holidays as a time to catch up but I'm stuck babysitting cousins instead. :/

Top Bottom