• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: That was Link in the Wii U Zelda trailer, denies 'female' rumors

Shojx

Never doubted that the character in the trailer was Link, I wasn't really sure whether they were male or female though.

It doesn't really matter to me. I'm more concerned with whether the world I'll be playing in is interesting and whether the gameplay itself is fun.

A female Link would be an interesting twist on Zelda's traditions, and if that was the case this time or ever is in the future, then I'm sure it'll be awesome. But I don't think people should be overly concerned with Link's gender to begin with. He's a mute character with a silent protagonist personality that is open to the player's interpretation. His personality isn't going to really change regardless of his gender.

Also, if female Link is going to happen, I want it to be something they plan from the start that directly impacts the world and story that they build for us. Though I think Link's gender would have a minimal impact on his/her personality, I think creating a female Link for the first time would definitely affect the world and story that the developers build for us.

But either way, gender isn't really a concern of mine in a game like this. I'm more interested in the experience they're trying to create, and as long as that's solid, I'm fine with whatever.

Eh I'm not buying it. Aonuma's comments are all over the place, he's being intentionally vague and is probably poorly translated on top of that.

This Link character starts out concealed under a cloak, and once revealed they chose not to depict the character in the trademark green tunic. There's no sword at all, and the character is using a bow with some variation on the light arrows, which is the weapon typically associated with Princess Zelda. The character has their hair in a ponytail, has cheery rouge-like cheeks, and an effeminate or youthfully androgynous body type.

I think they're toying with the idea of changing Link, either by allowing you to customize the character, by featuring a female Link, or simply by designing a more androgenous playable character for both male and female players.

I'll wait until after E3 for proper clarification of what's going on.

#teamlinkisachick

Sify64

It's not our problem if you're failing to see the difference. It's been said over and over that Mario isn't meant to be some different character throughout each game. He's always been married to Peach, had a brother Luigi and is a known character. Mario's design also stays the same each game. The series has his name in.

What?! Mario is married to Peach... are you kidding?

Dragoshi1

A female Link and male Zelda would have been an interesting game, especially if Link was female, he'd have to learn to fight, and it would have been a PERFECT opportunity to have the Gerudo train a female Link to fight, using swords, scimitars, whips, bows, ect.

Would have been refreshing.

Either way, still glad for the game, regardless of Link's gender. I also spotted Death Mountain in the trailer, so I hope Gorons look cool in this one.

Coolwhip

Banned
Man...

This is going too far. :(

As a die hard fan of Zelda, and a woman of color. I'd very much like you to stop putting down the series to promote gender/racial equality.

Indeed!

Do people go around demanding certain genders or races in other media too? It's so weird...

But they don't make sense at all. It's a bunch of people telling me why I have to see Mario as a character and not Link.
I think it's a personal matter.
So I don't have the right of being offended if Marvel changes the color of Spider-Man suit?
Even if you feel like Link is an established character (which I can understand), they do make sense in the regard that Link is a reincarnation and it would fit the lore just fine to make him a female. You would have the right to be offended at that of course, but I think it'd be reasonable of you to understand that the developers can do what they want if it happened (but yes, you could still criticize obviously).

As a question though, how about if the game played just as any other Zelda game and you thought Link was male all the time. Then at the end of it it's shown that Link is female after all. For example this could be done by her having to take her shirt off (for example it could be completely wet or torn to pieces) and then it'd be shown that her breasts are strapped tight on her body (I don't mean that they'd show the breasts to be clear that is).
How would you feel about that?

Wazzy

Banned
Man...

This is going too far. :(

As a die hard fan of Zelda, and a woman of color. I'd very much like you to stop putting down the series to promote gender/racial equality.

Man your posts reek of "It's fine if you target other stuff but don't touch what I like!"

I'm a girl and love the Zelda series and I can acknowledge that Link is a self insert.

Prototype

E3 just really brings the stupid out in people, and seems to effect GAF to a harrowing degree. Like I said in the other threads, You all are delusional.

Indeed!

Do people go around demanding certain genders or races in other media too? It's so weird...
Demanding is such a weird word, but people do absolutely criticize the lack of strong female characters in other media too, for example in super hero movies. There's nothing weird about it.

If it's not personally important to you there's nothing wrong with it, but it is important to other people. If people feel it is important to them, then they should talk about it.

Can you spell it out for me. I'd really appreciate it.

If you really need me to, I'm not even sure I can. The importance of gender to identity may defy my abilities of explanation, but I'll try. It was important enough to spawn these 13 pages of heated discussion though. To others, if not to you, Link is a single, immediately identifiable character with extremely consistent visual, behavioural, and narrative attributes and gender is a part of that. Hell, people blew up over changes to his handedness. You're really surprised that they're attached to him being male?

Regarding Link? Gender is irrelevant. As I've established before in terms of brand regonition in each installment of the franchise the character design for Link has become closer and closer to androgynous hence the speculation/debate in the first place. In terms of game lore, there is no defining rule/plot element that declares Link as a male, in fact the lore will easily support a female iteration.

So, what do we have left with those two aspects out of the way? People "feel" that Link must be male?

Gender is as relevant as you find it. As above, I highly disagree with people who make so much of the 'multiple Links' thing. It's a pretext. Link is essentially a single character, changing little across decades of sequels.

Wazzy

Banned
E3 just really brings the stupid out in people, and seems to effect GAF to a harrowing degree. Like I said in the other threads, You all are delusional.

We're delusional when even the creator was supporting the speculation?

Get out of here with that obnoxious attitude.

This statement is of utmost value to the conversation at hand, I applaud you for your sheer intellect and your grace to enlighten us all.

Never doubted that the character in the trailer was Link, I wasn't really sure whether they were male or female though.

It doesn't really matter to me. I'm more concerned with whether the world I'll be playing in is interesting and whether the gameplay itself is fun.

A female Link would be an interesting twist on Zelda's traditions, and if that was the case this time or ever is in the future, then I'm sure it'll be awesome. But I don't think people should be overly concerned with Link's gender to begin with. He's a mute character with a silent protagonist personality that is open to the player's interpretation. His personality isn't going to really change regardless of his gender.

Also, if female Link is going to happen, I want it to be something they plan from the start that directly impacts the world and story that they build for us. Though I think Link's gender would have a minimal impact on his/her personality, I think creating a female Link for the first time would definitely affect the world and story that the developers build for us.

But either way, gender isn't really a concern of mine in a game like this. I'm more interested in the experience they're trying to create, and as long as that's solid, I'm fine with whatever.

Pretty much sums up my stance as well.

balgajo

Even if you feel like Link is an established character (which I can understand), they do make sense in the regard that Link is a reincarnation and it would fit the lore just fine to make him a female. You would have the right to be offended at that of course, but I think it'd be reasonable of you to understand that the developers can do what they want if it happened (but yes, you could still criticize obviously).

As a question though, how about if the game played just as any other Zelda game and you thought Link was male all the time. Then at the end of it it's shown that Link is female after all. For example this could be done by her having to take her shirt off (for example it could be completely wet or torn to pieces) and then it'd be shown that her breasts are strapped tight on her body (I don't mean that they'd show the breasts to be clear that is).
How would you feel about that?

I would feel betrayed. If I discovered at the end of a Metroid game that there was a guy beneath the armor for all the time I would feel the same way.

Coolwhip

Banned
Demanding is such a weird word, but people do absolutely criticize the lack of strong female characters in other media too, for example in super hero movies. There's nothing weird about it.

If it's not personally important to you there's nothing wrong with it, but it is important to other people. If people feel it is important to them, then they should talk about it.

I guess so, but it would be annoying if the theme will pop up in every game discussion now. Same with resolution and framerate lately. I know they're completely different things ;)

Tiu Neo

Female Link? Would not make a big difference, to tell the truth.

A Zelda and Sheik spin-off, on the other hand? Fuck yes, give me that.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
... can this stop? It's a fantasy you play, let the creative people decide what they want as their main character. Or just stick to playing games with character customisation.

I agree with this. Why put pressure on someone to change thier game. Let them make what they want, with whomever they want as the protagonist.

Wazzy

Banned
Did Aonuma say that the character in the trailer might not be a male?

When Aonuma was asked about the confusion of Links design and that he looked like a woman he answered with:

Eiji Aonuma: That might be something that consciously we kind of did, but not to say anything specific – I am not saying anything specific – but, I am hoping people continue to comment, and I will continue to follow the fan comments and reactions to the trailer. I am certainly curious, and I am sure there are things we as developers can glean.

Then he makes a comment saying he never said the character in the trailer was Link in response to the speculation of it being a female lead.

Shahed

Indeed!

What about a Metroid starring Seamus? An Uncharted with Natalie Drake and Victoria Sullivan, and a Halo with Mistress Chief? Or Larry Croft?

I'm all for more female characters (well variety in general) in games, but changing the genders of established characters feels weird. If it's an on going series, use a pre-existing female character or create a new one. As for new IP, they can start females from the get go.

Wazzy

Banned
What about a Metroid starring Seamus? An Uncharted with Natalie Drake and Victoria Sullivan, and a Halo with Mistress Chief? Or Larry Croft?

I'm all for more female characters (well variety in general) in games, but changing the genders of established characters feels weird. If it's an on going series, use a pre-existing female character or create a new one. As for new IP, they can start females from the get go.

Stop. Listing. Characters. With. Established. Personalities.

All of those are actual characters. They're also the SAME character in each game unlike Link.

-Horizon-

Female Link would have been dope as heck.

Alas.
I see what you did there.

If it's any consolation, I'm on the opposite side of the fence and I was idly considering it last week while musing about what the Zelda U reveal might bring. We're both delusional.
Haha I was kind of thinking about the game every now and then but I would never have imagined what we actually got and how people would react.

I agree with this. Why put pressure on someone to change thier game. Let them make what they want, with whomever they want as the protagonist.
You're not seriously saying people should just let devs do what they want and not criticize it?
If people have thoughts about games, or any media, or anything, they should talk about it and make their case.

If you really need me to, I'm not even sure I can. The importance of gender to identity may defy my abilities of explanation, but I'll try. It was important enough to spawn these 13 pages of heated discussion though. To others, if not to you, Link is a single, immediately identifiable character with extremely consistent visual, behavioural, and narrative attributes and gender is a part of that. Hell, people blew up over changes to his handedness. You're really surprised that they're attached to him being male? ??

Gender is as relevant as you find it. As above, I highly disagree with people who make so much of the 'multiple Links' thing. It's a pretext. Link is essentially a single character, changing little across decades of sequels.

Wrong, Link serves as a self-insert for the player, the "character" defined in the games is an avatar/reincarnation in select time periods/alternate realities. This self-insert aspect is heavily backed up by how the games were designed (motion control taking priority in character design before established character tropes (IE left-handed Link)) and even by Aonuma himself via recent quotations.

Just because you (and others) applied some arbitrary character identity on Link doesn't make it so. You're free to do it of course but its just not true.

one_kill

We're delusional when even the creator was supporting the speculation?

Get out of here with that obnoxious attitude.
Aonuma didn't create Link.

Also, Aonuma didn't support the speculation in any way. All he did was troll. He was having fun.

Sakurai does it too, so does Kojima. Lots of producers troll. And you know why they troll? Because they know that some of their fans are going to go out on a limb to argue things to the death.

Journalist: "I don't think that was Link. Was it Link or not?"
Aonuma: "I never said it was Link."
Journalist: "Oh shit! There's a possibility that wasn't Link?!"
Some fans: "Maybe it's Zelda!"
Other fans: "Maybe it's a female Link!"
Aonuma: "Hold on! I never said it wasn't Link."
Fans in denial: "Well he didn't say that Link was male nor female!"

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I would feel betrayed. If I discovered at the end of a Metroid game that there was guy beneath the armor for all the time I would feel the same way.

Not really the same though, is it? Link is a very bland, androgynous hero who has been reincarnated multiple times.

There is only one Samus and she's a woman. Making her male would not be true to the essence of the character.

CLBridges

Never once thought that wasn't Link in the trailer, but guess Aonuma had to step in to clarify. To me, I never looked at Link as male/female, just an elf/faerie type race character with boyish feature or tomboyish if someone imagines Link as female. Wouldn't matter to me either way, just want a good, no...great game.

I don't get the demand for a playable female 'Link'. The character through the games is male, in the same essence the Snake 'characters' in Metal Gear are male.

Wazzy

Banned
Aonuma didn't create Link.

Also, Aonuma didn't support the speculation in any way. All he did was troll. He was having fun.

Sakurai does it too, so does Kojima. Lots of producers troll. And you know why they troll? Because they know that some of their fans are going to go out on a limb to argue things to the death.

Journalist: "I don't think that was Link. Was it Link or not?"
Aonuma: "I never said it was Link."
Journalist: "Oh shit! There's a possibility that wasn't Link?!"
Some fans: "Maybe it's Zelda!"
Other fans: "Maybe it's a female Link!"
Aonuma: "Hold on! I never said it wasn't Link."
Fans in denial: "Well he didn't say that Link was male nor female!"
In response to the character looking like a girl:
Eiji Aonuma: That might be something that consciously we kind of did, but not to say anything specific – I am not saying anything specific – but, I am hoping people continue to comment, and I will continue to follow the fan comments and reactions to the trailer. I am certainly curious, and I am sure there are things we as developers can glean.
Then add his other comment about him never saying the character was Link that were in response to it being a female character and you're honestly going to sit there and just chalk it up as just trolling? Even if he was, that doesn't give him a pass to mess with fans like that.

And what does that matter? He's the one working on the series right now and has been for awhile.

Stop. Trying. To. Tell. Us. How. We. Must. Feel. About. Link

Great rebuttal. You sure proved my point wrong!

balgajo

Not really the same though, is it? Link is a very bland, androgynous hero who has been reincarnated multiple times.

There is only one Samus and she's a woman. Making her male would not be true to the essence of the character.

Again, it's subjective.

greenteaa

Neo Member
Oh shit, well that's that then.
I was kind of hoping it was Zelda disguised as Link or a descendant of his, but I am cool with this. He has always been my favourite video game character so I'm happy to see him return. Plus his new design is freaking amazing, arguably the best yet IMO.

I guess so, but it would be annoying if the theme will pop up in every game discussion now. Same with resolution and framerate lately. I know they're completely different things ;)

I obviously can't speak for everyone here, but I'll bite and give my perspective: Zelda seems to bring about this discussion in a unique way because of two things: powerful women with a lot of agency haven't exactly been represented well in the Zelda franchise (despite her name being the title), and after 17 mainline titles, you have to wonder what's next. Giving a female protagonist to the game (I won't even say female Link, because I think playing as Zelda would be more valuable) solves both of these: it shows that Nintendo is willing to commit to the idea of being more inclusive with their games by changing up arguably their second-most recognizable franchise, and it breathes new life into a series in a unique way.

Still not speaking for everyone, I don't know how much longer I can keep playing a game with the same premise. I won't say the same game, because I know they're not, but the basic idea is almost always the same, and it's very basic. If I want to play those games again, I have them, I'll play them again. Nothing will take them away. But when a new Zelda gets announced, I think people latch onto the idea of it being NEW. Trying new things, sometimes drastic things, in order to stay relevant and show that it's not resistant to change or evolution.

I absolutely want more female protagonists in games, and I think l, like others, see Zelda as a series ripe for making that happen. It's longstanding, has great traditions, and a great foundation of gameplay. Nothing captures the hearts and minds of gamers quite like it: people still get excited, I mean really EXCITED for a new Zelda all these years later. Nintendo has a chance to show something new with it, and this is an easy thing to do: if Zelda is a legend, show us why. If you want to be constantly appealing to a broad audience and keep being the series that gets people stupidly excited, show us why.

edit: So I realized I kind of went off on a tangent, I'll tie it back with what you said: I don't think the theme will pop up in EVERY game discussion from now on. But I do think people have it with Zelda, very passionately, for the reasons above.

Stop. Trying. To. Tell. Us. How. We. Must. Feel. About. Link
Again, it's a fact that Link is a reincarnation. Thus by nature it's not the same thing as changing Lara Croft to Larry Croft.
If you feel that Link is an established character, that's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that it's different than changing Lara to Larry.

edit:
And no, it's not subjective. What is subjective and understandable, is that you can feel Link is an established character. But it would still make sense lore wise to have him as female one time.

Sheroking

Aonuma clearly doesn't give a shit about 'canon'. Why should anyone?

Well I think they didn't give a shit for a long time, and then they realized the fans did, so they started thinking about it and pasted one together.

Skyward Sword was very canon focused, and I suspect they had an idea where this one fell pretty early.

Qurupeke

Female Link would be something different... and that's pretty much it. It would just satisfy the need for this. No other differences in the game, except maybe some other gender benders. I wouldn't mind it but male Link actually seems more right.

Still, I find it kind of weird we didn't see him with a sword.

Ito

Hello sir! Might you perchance assist me in my endeavour to identify he to whom this damsel's vestments affect a likeness?

oI76WTo.jpg

'Tis a mystery most vexing.

Those ridiculously elongated legs and the stupid pose reminded me of the new Sanic design in Sanic Boom.

bioE3HG.jpg

Female Link would be something different... and that's pretty much it. It would just satisfy the need for this. No other differences in the game, except maybe some other gender benders. I wouldn't mind it but male Link actually seems more right.

Still, I find it kind of weird we didn't see him with a sword.
The sword was on the horse's back actually.

Top Bottom