• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: That was Link in the Wii U Zelda trailer, denies 'female' rumors

Guess Who

Banned
I don't think Link's a completely blank emotionless slate, certainly each Link has a degree of agency and individuality separate from the player in most recent games. But there's no reason why you couldn't have a female Link that encapsulates the characteristics that make a Link "Link".

So it's okay to put down the entire series for the sake of female representation?

That's not how people get their way. That's not how things change and that's not how equality happens. So it's pointless to even go there. Instead of arguing about a pre-established character getting changed to fit something they are not, why not, for the love of god, support the idea of a playable Zelda to stand along side Link? You know a character who is a woman?

A relatable iconic character goes far beyond what some of you guys are saying. Link has always been the most relatable character in any form of medium for me, and he's able to do that without sharing my gender or race, he's simply there to witness a world with me.

You shouldn't go around attacking pre-established characters. You should be promoting new female protagonists who were built for their roles and old female characters who are given better care. Stop trying to shoe-horn the opposite gender on already defined characters.

The difficulty with that is that people already have attachments to game series like Zelda: their art, their world, their gameplay. Zelda is an institution. Most people who want representation don't want representation in some new 'made just for them' game, series and world, they want representation in the games they already love.

In addition, the creation and establishment of new IP, especially those with a female lead, face enormous challenges before they ever arrive on shelves. It's a hard sell to convince people to go find their own IP's to relate to, rather than to make existing ones more relatable, because even if they were willing to do that, it's such a daunting proposition. It's one thing to say "go promote new female protags in new games," it's quite another to find things to match up to the existing juggernauts today.

Lunar15

I'm just glad he cleared it up sooner rather than later. Don't think I could stand a year of all that back and forth speculation.

Lol seriously?

OH MAN IF I HAD TO PLAY AS A GIRL I DUNNO WHAT I WOULD'VE DONE!
I don't think it's that at all. I don't think anyone minds playing a female lead. But when I play a Zelda game I want to play as link. Just like when I play a Tomb Raider game I want to play as Lara Croft. It's what defines those games. Stop trying to fabricate ways to sound morally superior.

I don't think Link's a completely blank emotionless slate, certainly he has a degree of agency and individuality separate from the player in most recent games. But there's no reason why you couldn't have a female Link that encapsulates the characteristics that make Link who he is.

There is also no reason why Link isn't a middle aged man or why he must be anime white.
It's a design choice for over 28 years now.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
People should put a female character in because they want to, not because they're forced.

Yeah, that's how it is now. Look at the number of female lead characters there are in gaming.

If you're upholding PokeMon as proof that you can still tell rich stories with a variable lead character, you're grasping at straws. The most interesting story told within the PokeMon universe only happened once Twitch started controlling it.

No, they were upholding Pokemon as proof that characters can treat your character a certain way regardless of whether they were a boy or a girl before the chracter creation screen. And considering you leave home to go on your adventure. Most people in the game won't know you before the adventure starts.

Mass Effect is unique, mainly because you set up your character's backstory as a part of the character creation process. That's how you have a legend, and it's what they base the character relationships off of (when one is presumed to have met you prior to the game's beginning). For a game as sprawling and focused on relationships as ME, it works. They made the sort of game that allowed them to write complex, interesting plots that worked with different spins on the MC. Zelda is not going to do that. I don't want that to be Zelda.

The backstory stuff you pick in ME's character creation has exactly 0 to do with your physical description and gender, and has very little effect on how people treat you, except for a few simple lines. That stuff is about class and starting bonuses.

This is a simple matter of storytelling. If I'm writing a plot for a game, and I know exactly who the main character is - all their traits, all their characteristics - it allows me to treat it like any other medium. I can write a huge sprawling narrative that happens both before and after the game itself. Characters who interact with the lead can have a history, because they've interacted and I can craft stories about who they were - and why they are who they are now.

And the pokemon example used before works here. It's not like each Link had an extensive backstory. Look at what you (I think it was you) were saying before. he's a slacker that people don't expect to be a hero. That can be the same whether you pick girl or boy.

Tell me something about the beginning of OoT that would have changed dramatically if you'd chosen Girl instead of Boy before the game started. Something so deep that Pokemon couldn't have done it.

But let's say I can change the name of the character. No huge deal. The name doesn't mean much. Sure, if the character is some universe-breaking thing, it would theoretically be a part of their history - but at that point, it's a fault on the player and not my issue.

Now let's say I can change their gender. Depending on the world I'm trying to write, that might have massive consequences. Depending on that variable, they may have interacted with a certain character in a different way - left that interaction with different impressions of each other.
As you say above in the ME part, "Zelda is not going to do that."

Why not change race as well? Now I've got to wonder about that. If Link can have a different skin color, does that alter how he's seen in his community? Are individuals more or less willing to trust him?

And sure, you may say "Just don't write characters that treat people differently based on those variables". But that's creatively stifling. If I'm writing a game where the player can be any gender or race and ensure that has zero influence on the story - that means I'm limited to writing stories where gender & race are non-issues.

This is a very good point. Unfortunately it is hindered by history of there having not been other colored humans (elves?) other than the Gerudo. Once solution would be when you pick your character's color, every human's color changes along with it. So they're all the same color. But people won't accept that, even though it affects nobdody but the person playing.

Hyrule already has women and girls, so the female Link walking around won't cause people to scream, "W-what are those bumps, and where is your penis??"

Sure. Some of these concepts may not come up all that often in a Zelda game. But there are artists who craft these worlds, and have detailed visions to the lore & mystery behind them. It's what makes this franchise so beloved - the rich nature of the world. Introducing a customizable player character puts a reign on that creativity. And I want to avoid that at all costs.

You are over estimating LoZ's depth of character interaction. Most of the game is adventuring and dungeons.

Guess Who

Banned
There is also no reason why Link isn't a middle aged man or why he must be anime white.
It's a design choice for over 28 years now.

A game with a middle-aged Link could be interesting! Explore how age has taken its toll as a grizzled vet returns to battle once more!

What if Link were a Gerudo? What if we had a game examining the dynamic between such a Link and Ganondorf, and the cultural divide between his people and the Hylians?

I'd be hella down for either of these. Shaking up conventions can be fun and interesting.

Link has had more character throughout the games than Samus ever had and I don't see people calling her a 'blank emotionless slate'. And if his gender never mattered I guess I must have imagined things like the engagement to Ruto in OOT and the romance with Zelda in SS.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Im glad its Link, but I wouldnt have cared that much if it wasnt as long as he was playable in some part of the game. And I like how people got a accused of sexism just cause they were relieved it was Link. Hes an iconic character people anticipate playing as, simple as that.

Crazyorloco

Link - links the player to the game world. If you're female it's harder to relate to this world if the link is male. An androgynous link would be fitting. Lots of females do play Zelda.

I can't wait to play this game.

-Horizon-

I don't think it's that at all. I don't think anyone minds playing a female lead. But when I play a Zelda game I want to play as link. Just like when I play a Tomb Raider game I want to play as Lara Croft. It's what defines those games. Stop trying to fabricate ways to sound morally superior.
You are playing as whoever possesses the spirit of the hero as established in Skyward Sword. That spirit reincarnates continually. It just so happens that all the heroes so far are male, it's not an established rule though.

Lara Croft on the other hand does not have the luxury of being a different character every time (unless it's a reboot, then that opens a whole other can of worms). She has an established back story or at least one they are rebuilding. But she is still the same Lara. She didn't die and her spirit came back as another Lara 100 years later.

A female Link, or Scott as they are sometimes known would be pretty cool.
I learn something new every day.

Hex

Banned
So it's link...

But we still don't know if this link is female...he's not answering that. Nothing in the original post denies link is female. It just confirms it's link. There's still speculation! Very interesting.

"I don't want to define him so much that it becomes limiting to the players

He seems to very clearly still see Link as a male.
If that ruins your game experience I am very sorry for you.
It shouldn't.

A game with a middle-aged Link could be interesting! Explore how age has taken its toll as a grizzled vet returns to battle once more!

What if Link were a Gerudo? What if we had a game examining the dynamic between such a Link and Ganondorf, and the cultural divide between his people and the Hylians?

I'd be hella down for either of these. Shaking up conventions can be fun and interesting.

Well, many things can be interesting. Why can't Link reincernate as large octopus - just imagine the possible gameplay elements!

I mean there is a reason why the hero of a 2 1/2 decade old gaming series is pretty much the same.

masud

Banned

And some of us would prefer that the character stay the way it is and not necessarily because of some sex/age/race bias.

Guess Who

Banned
Well, many things can be interesting. Why can't Link reincernate as large octopus - just imagine the possible gameplay elements!

Yes, because that is totally the same as my suggestions!

But at the end of the day I guess I can't really be surprised that fans of a Nintendo franchise are terrified of anything ever being slightly different than it has been for over a decade.

Shinta

Banned
Well I thought for sure it was a girl. I guess I stand corrected! The exciting part though is that this means we still haven't seen Zelda yet. Her design is probably awesome.

It is funny to watch the first few pages of this thread play out.

Fans that wanted it to be a woman: "Well that is super disappointing that it's a guy!"
Fans that wanted it to be a man: "Well that's a relief that it's a man!"

The people who said the first are "fine" (ironically), but people are implying the people that said the second are sexist? They are 100% equivalent statements. Is it not sexist to so openly be disappointed that it's a man?

How about we all just assume that no real fans of the Zelda series are sexist here and not start another war over nothing, because Zelda has always had strong female characters that are very cool. People always overreact to these things.

And please, let's not start labeling Nintendo sexist, after all the people that were going on just yesterday about how much they liked the Inklings in Splatoon.

Caelus

I see people bringing up the reincarnation cycles, but according to canon there are at least two other members of that cycle- Ganon and Zelda. Having been a fan for a while, I've always interpreted this dynamic as the courageous hero coming-of-age, the wise maiden who has untapped magical potential and a cunning villain who relies on brute force and cunning.

Yes, it's an overly romantic interpretation, but I've always seen females in the Zelda series to be wise, omnipotent beings- not just the four goddesses, but Impa, Midna, the female sages and of course Zelda.

Of course, having a female Link might not go against that, one could have a courageous but slightly dimwitted heroine who gets their shit together, but it doesn't fulfill my personal power dynamic of how I see the main characters of the series.

This seems a bit superimposing, but what I'm trying to say is that making Link female doesn't really do anything for me when there are already powerful female characters in the series that they could create or that already exist (god I would LOVE an Impa game) and that's why I'm hyped for Hyrule Warriors, but changing the gender of an established character for the sake of change seems silly to me.

I'm totally for a Zelda game with a female lead, and I despise the portrayals of females in video games in general, but changing Link is just... pointless. My dream Zelda game is still one where you can play as Hylia with magic powers before Skyward Sword.

But being that I'm a 16 year old teenage male my opinion probably doesn't bear much in this discussion.

Actually I realize that I'm coming off as a bit sexist with my "interpretation of females" in the Zelda series, there could definitely be a female character who goes against that and I'd love it, I just care little for Link's gender changing for little reason.

docbon

I mean there is a reason why the hero of a 2 1/2 decade old gaming series is pretty much the same.

with added interrogation sequences involving tentacles and the touch pad

While it's looking like it's going to end up being male Link, Aonuma's original comments are still something to consider along with this. When he says it's Link, he doesn't clarify that it's male Link. While it seems fairly obvious that he's speaking of male Link, he could still be acting vague.
Don't do this to yourself. There was too much reading into a vague comment and when he basically says "I didn't mean for it to be taken as now it's a she, it still is Link" you guys are now reading too little into his direct words. This selective reading is going to harm you, though like I said stage 1 denial so if it helps I guess no harm done. You gotta understand this is an established franchise with am established character. Japan is all about keeping tradition with stuff like this. Not to say that a spin off won't happen. There is a Super Princess Peach I mean.

I don't think Link's a completely blank emotionless slate, certainly each Link has a degree of agency and individuality separate from the player in most recent games. But there's no reason why you couldn't have a female Link that encapsulates the characteristics that make a Link "Link".

Yeah.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
You're not seriously saying people should just let devs do what they want and not criticize it?
If people have thoughts about games, or any media, or anything, they should talk about it and make their case.

I didn't say to not criticize it. I said not to try and change what they're making. That's like protesting because someone you don't like was cast in a movie that hasn't come out yet. Or looking over someones shoulder while they're painting, and saying "I don't like that, paint it this way". I'm all for healthy criticism. I'm also all for creative freedom though.

Let the devs do whatever they want. It's their painting.

That ambiguity has been cleared up, at least, for which I'm glad. The possibility of playing as someone else hasn't been ruled out entirely, though-- hasn't Aonuma hinted at multiplayer? Shaking up the franchise isn't necessarily limited to making the game open-world.

Link has had more character throughout the games than Samus ever had and I don't see people calling her a 'blank emotionless slate'. And if his gender never mattered I guess I must have imagined things like the engagement to Ruto in OOT and the romance with Zelda in SS.

It isn't just males who can have relationships with females, you know.

Crazyorloco

He seems to very clearly still see Link as a male.
If that ruins your game experience I am very sorry for you.
It shouldn't.

It definitely wouldnt. we've played as a male link for 28 years (all great games). The idea of a change for the main character was intriguing though. Or even the thought of playing through Zelda perspective would be nice.

P.s. saying he doesn't want to define link (even though he said "him") makes me think he doesn't want to say whether or not he's male or female...he wants all players male or female to relate to link.

I'd say it depends on the story they wanted to tell, for example the story of skyward sword, specifically relating to link and groose's relationship wouldn't work if link was a girl. Gender is 100% part of the characters identity and there are very few Zelda games where link being a boy isn't important.

Onikaan

Well I thought for sure it was a girl. I guess I stand corrected! The exciting part though is that this means we still haven't seen Zelda yet. Her design is probably awesome.

It is funny to watch the first few pages of this thread play out.

Fans that wanted it to be a woman: "Well that is super disappointing that it's a guy!"
Fans that wanted it to be a man: "Well that's a relief that it's a man!"

The people who said the first are "fine" (ironically), but people are implying the people that said the second are sexist? They are 100% equivalent statements. Is it not sexist to so openly be disappointed that it's a man?

How about we all just assume that no real fans of the Zelda series are sexist here and not start another war over nothing, because Zelda has always had strong female characters that are very cool. People always overreact to these things.

And please, let's not start labeling Nintendo sexist, after all the people that were going on just yesterday about how much they liked the Inklings in Splatoon.

Thank you. We're all friends here.

zeldablue

Not really fair in general since there is very poor/rare representation for women and not the opposite. :/

Same goes for a lot of stuff like ageism, racism, and sexual-orientation. One is allowed to be more upset due to poor representation and generations of bad...stuff.

You are playing as whoever possesses the spirit of the hero as established in Skyward Sword. That spirit reincarnates continually. It just so happens that all the heroes so far are male, it's not an established rule though.
Who all happen to look and act incredibly similair.

pargonta

a part of me is glad, i enjoy the boy hero's quest, but it would've been special something if this was female driven. in a post frozen world it would seem right at home. this was the time for it.

Will he still have a sword in the new game? I couldnt see it in the trailer but it looked like there might have been a sword on eponas side in the trailer, but might have been something else. Even in HD its hard to see clearly

Not really fair in general since there is very poor/rare representation for women and not the opposite. :/

Same goes for a lot of stuff like ageism, racism, and sexual-orientation. One is allowed to be more upset due to poor representation and generations of bad...stuff.
But the other party has to be judged because they don't want an established franchise to change its character so it automatically means they are against all of the other stuff?

You know this wouldn't be an issue if Nintendo simply made a new franchise with a female character. None of this would matter. Same with the doctor who complaints. If people are used to a male doctor who why change it? Just make a new franchise with a female star, it doesn't necessarily mean they are sexist.

pargonta

Will he still have a sword in the new game? I couldnt see it in the trailer but it looked like there might have been a sword on eponas side in the trailer, but might have been something else. Even in HD its hard to see clearly

it's there, on the opposite side of the horse as the shield. you can only see it in screen grabs really.

-Horizon-

Who all happen to look and act incredibly similair.
That is not my point. Each one has lived and died. They were each successively replaced by a new hero. Said hero is not required nor bound by gender.
Say whatever is your opinion about the timeline but it shows that each Link is their own person.

zeldablue

But the other party has to be judged because they don't want an established franchise to change its character so it automatically means they are against all of the other stuff?

You know this wouldn't be an issue if Nintendo simply made a new franchise with a female character. None of this would matter. Same with the doctor who complaints. If people are used to a male doctor who why change it? Just make a new franchise with a female star, it doesn't necessarily mean they are sexist.

I never want Link to swap genders.

But a Zelda featuring Zelda as the star was actually pretty exciting. Can still happen I think.

Top Bottom