• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: That was Link in the Wii U Zelda trailer, denies 'female' rumors

one_kill

How did this whole thing start? From what I know/assume...
  • Some guy from GT - I think it was Damiani - wanted to have a customisable "Link" or a female Link.
  • This had some discussion here. Some people said it'd be cool.
  • Nintendo then showed a teaser for the next Zelda game.
  • Some guy asked Aonuma about the character in the teaser - whether or not it was Link. Aonuma trolls.
  • Some people speculated that it might not be Link, others say it's a female Link. Everyone else thought that all this speculation is nonsense.
  • Some dude asked Aonuma to clarify to which Aonuma says it is Link as he's always been (male but with a feminine look).

To think, I was almost convinced that it was a female Link, lol.

All you have to do is shift the chest size a bit and the gender switches from male to female, just like that.

It really is uncanny how close Link looks to a girl.

99CwOs3.gif

Malcolm9

C'mon people, Link is a long established character. He's Mario. He's Sonic. He's Ryu. He's Samus. He's not just some generic avatar and he shouldn't be reduced to one.

Exactly my thoughts, I'm up for the game to be freshened up, but don't start changing the gender of long established characters.

Some want way to much change, even to the put the point where some peoples intentions are quite weird frankly.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
All you have to do is shift the chest size a bit and the gender switches from male to female, just like that.

99CwOs3.gif

Nintendo seems keen to attract/introduce female players to The Legend of Zelda series and Link having slight feminine traits seems the more obvious decision.

Twilight Princess' tone was geared towards more male players; Nintendo want the best of both worlds for the next iteration and I can't blame them honestly.

Ansatz

Well okay. So in 2009 we had a similar "but Link is holding no sword" turned out to hint at the creation of the master sword. This time it's "but Link has a bow and no green tunic"

I'm gonna go ahead and speculate this is player 2 character.

3bdelilah

Banned
They should release another teaser with the exact same girlish Link and make him say "whattup bitches" in an almost impossible to hear deep voice. In Hylian of course.

Hatchtag

Banned
How did this whole thing start?
  • From what I've read, some guy from GT - I think it was Damiani - wanted to have a customisable "Link" or a female Link.
  • This had some discussion here. Some people said it'd be cool.
  • Nintendo then shows a teaser for the next Zelda game.
  • Some guy asks Aonuma about the character in the teaser - whether or not it was Link. Aonuma trolls.
  • Some people speculate that it might not be Link, others say it's a female Link. Everyone else thinks it's still Link.
  • Some dude asks Aonuma to clarify to which Aonuma says it is Link.

It started from Link looking like a girl. I mean, they do a dramatic reveal of Link-you knew it was Link the second they showed the horse, but then the dramatic reveal with the robes plus Link looking like a girl to a lot of people made people think that this Link was a girl. It had nothing to do with people thinking this would have customizable characters.
Then Anouma made some comments about it maybe being a girl or Zelda, which fueled the fire.
Now he's saying that the comments were a joke and that this Link's a dude. Which just seems contradictory, not just to the previous comments, but to the whole dramatic reveal. This artstyle's not exactly something hugely different. It's cool, but it's not like Toon Link, or the return to a gritty syle with Twilight Princess, or the painting style of OOT. So it just seems odd that they'd have a dramatic reveal of a more feminine looking Link, only to have it not be a girl.

He is not a character, he's lots of different people in different time periods and time lines. Different parents, different childhoods... He's not Mario, or Sonic. He is Legion!

He's James Bond, or The Doctor. A set of iconic personality traits & immediately recognizable regardless of who plays them. Some people argue that things like gender are an inherent part of what makes those characters who they are. If Nintendo's argument that Link is, and always must be male - it's understandable from an artistic perspective.

I could see a female Link, but I couldn't see a "choose your gender" Link. To say that the gender of the character has effectively zero influence over their place in the community, and their relationship with Zelda - seems out of place in a distinctly fantasy-focused franchise. It also kind of kills the illusion - past LoZ games felt like you were interrupting a kid's life to engage in this massive adventure. Having a "Pick a Link" screen beforehand really takes that illusion away.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
His face looks LESS feminine here than Skyward Sword. Can't believe people were working that hard on theories in the other thread.

Well okay. So in 2009 we had a similar "but Link is holding no sword" turned out to hint at the creation of the master sword. This time it's "but Link has a bow and no green tunic"

I'm gonna go ahead and speculate this is player 2 character.

Year of the Luigi-Link!

Dee Dee

So, no fun allowed? Not giving up hope for a customisable character yet, but I am afraid there is no chance at all.

Does that mean he is wearing a version of the tunic that toon link from Windwaker wears at the start?

Slightly shame in my opinion.

And no, I'm not sour grapes on it. I just think it's cool of them to shake up Zelda's traditions and making Link female would've been pretty awesome in that regard. And yes, Link could easily be female at one reincarnation at least.
Not that big a deal to me though.

Thank god...
Oh yeah, it''d have been horrible if it was a female so indeed, thank god.

How boring then.

C'mon people, Link is a long established character. He's Mario. He's Sonic. He's Ryu. He's Samus. He's not just some generic avatar and he shouldn't be reduced to one.
This is amusing when one of the excuses people keep making for him to not have voice acting is because he is the player avatar. He's barely a character.

99CwOs3.gif

Yeah. But my first post on the matter was about how Link is usually androgynous. Though I will concede he looks even more androgynous here.

This. I don't have anything against a female playable character in Zelda, but trying to turn Link himself into a female seems silly. He's not a create a character, he's a gaming icon.

If they were to make a female lead, make it Zelda or someone new.

eh I don't see the arguments that Link's gender is some vital aspect of his "character", he's so androgynous and the nature of there being multiple Link's makes for an easy change.

Syntax

Now prepare for the Ubisoft-esque backlash.

I laughed harder than I should have at this. Thank you.

Also, a Zelda game where you can toggle Link's biological sex!

Male Link: Better killuhn, able to move heavy objects like crates and vases, and access to vehicular game mechanics like sailing and gliding machines.

Female Link: For stealth and seduction gameplay. Link now giggles and jiggles when running. Rides sidesaddle on Epona!

Top Bottom