• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Aonuma want to make a remake of A Link to the Past" and more about next Zelda on Wii

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
MrSardonic said:
The cel-shaded style of wind waker is timeless and really captures the essence of LTTP in 3D, in my opinion.

The next Zelda should definitely ditch the "realistic" graphics and go back to something stylized. The series could do with a new take on the formula too. It needs to do something analogous to what has just happened with Mario on the Wii.

my money is on all this coming to fruition. i think the consensus amongst people who care about the series is that change is a necessity, the cel-shaded style was very critically lauded, and switching to a more "realistic" graphical style had no impact on sales (that i can recall, anyway--help me out, sales age).

Oblivion said:
Not to take away from Galaxy or nothin, but I do find it somewhat funny that so many people are praising it's creativity, when all it's doing is going back to what many people liked before, similar in design to the 2D Marios.

to an extent. but translating that to 3d isn't easy. it would be interesting to see the devs focus their efforts for the next zelda on moving back toward evoking the sense of discovery and sort of slipping on a banana peel into adventure (so to speak), rather than being an overtly chosen hero who will be directed to dungeon a, b, and so on

Tristam

Oblivion said:
Not to take away from Galaxy or nothin, but I do find it somewhat funny that so many people are praising it's creativity, when all it's doing is going back to what many people liked before, similar in design to the 2D Marios.

You're simplifying things a bit much here, no? Mario is returning to the linearity of his 2D predecessors -- a good thing, really, since linearity suits platforming. But from what I've played of Galaxy, it seems to emphasize a set piece style of play over the constant hoppin' and boppin' -- like the difference between Contra Hard Corps. and Contra III (except in that case replace hoppin' and boppin' with runnin' 'n gunnin'). Hoppin' and boppin' is still there, but it's just not the sole focus of the game. All that, of course, has nothing to do with its creativity, which lies in its brilliant level design and clever use of gravity.

Of course, look at how people are also calling for a return to nonlinearity in Zelda, which was a feature that separated it from Mario titles.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Tristam said:
Of course, look at how people are also calling for a return to nonlinearity in Zelda, which was a feature that separated it from Mario titles.

i could tolerate a "hint system" on easy mode in the form of navi or something that would pop up and push you in the right direction, much like the one implemented in the first metroid prime. it's something that really can be applied with a light touch if you put the right veil over it: in prime, it was "extreme low temperatures detected in chozo ruins" (or, take your pick here), which simultaneously evoked some kind of response from people who knew such a thing would be the ice beam, without saying directly "go here and get the ice beam now, dope."

on normal difficulty, you could eliminate the hints altogether and just let people find things for themselves. it would solve a lot of the linearity problems that have plagued the games for ages

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Tristam said:
You're simplifying things a bit much here, no? Mario is returning to the linearity of his 2D predecessors -- a good thing, really, since linearity suits platforming. But from what I've played of Galaxy, it seems to emphasize a set piece style of play over the constant hoppin' and boppin' -- like the difference between Contra Hard Corps. and Contra III (except in that case replace hoppin' and boppin' with runnin' 'n gunnin'). Hoppin' and boppin' is still there, but it's just not the sole focus of the game. All that, of course, has nothing to do with its creativity, which lies in its brilliant level design and clever use of gravity.

Yeah, I am simplifying a tad, though let's look at what most people are praising, the linearity, the old school powerups, the incredibly varied environments of past Marios. The Gravity/spherical stuff is just cake, it seems.

Shane86

Sorry but I can't make new threads.

http://www.gamesradar.com/skyward-sword-producer-eiji-aonuma-hints-3d-remake-legend-zelda-link-past/

During the interview we asked Aonuma if there was any chance that he would ever consider making another 2D Zelda game. While he hasn't been looking into it personally, he confirmed that Miyamoto has. "Well actually, even Mr. Miyamoto himself has been talking recently about going back to the 2D Zelda games," he said, "in particular the ones that were designed with multiple levels to the world like A Link to the Past, and taking those 2D graphics and recreating them in 3D so that you could get a sense for the depth of those worlds. That's something that might be interesting to do, so I would say there might be a possibility of something like that in the future."

watershed

Banned
Shane86 said:
Very interesting, undoubtedly for the 3ds given his mention of depth but I hope that's not gonna be the next original 3ds zelda. I'm hoping for a full 3d zelda adventure like the console games and not another top down entry like the handheld games. Maybe a super spruced up 3d classic remake? Nintendo probably won't waste the resources on that though.

Furoba

From Software's 3D Dot Game Heroes style might have been cool, if Nintendo had actually come up with it themselves years ago.

Top Bottom