• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

''Apocalypse Now - The Game'' live on KS with FF Coppola on board. Goal is $900K

joecanada

I may be out of the loop regarding latest kickstarter ideas but if FFC is doing the game, why do they need money? I don't believe they couldn't put together the money.... if kickstarter is just pre-orders to see interest that makes a bit more sense, but only if people were guaranteed their money back like a real return.

This entire thing seems extremely suspect. Scope, funding goal, rewards, the typos, screenshots but no prototype footage

The fact that it's launched with a prototype trailer coming soon instead of waiting till the trailer is ready should be raising red flags for everyone

Hm, I'm intrigued but I'm watching from a distance. Would recommend holding off until we see the trailer. It's all a bit fishy.

They've got a lot to prove tackling a film like this. Hope they can pull it off.

Lime

This entire thing seems extremely suspect. Scope, funding goal, rewards, the typos, screenshots but no prototype footage

The fact that it's launched with a prototype trailer coming soon instead of waiting till the trailer is ready should be raising red flags for everyone

Yep, that was my exact impression as well. The material seems incredibly suspect.

Didn't notice the interview before. I guess that gives this more validity, but I'd advise waiting for footage before backing anything

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Yeah it's pretty sketchy, but Sawyer is consulting so it can't be all bad. Guy knows what he's doing and how to run a Kickstarter so hopefully they are on the level.

Fisty

If you make a good game that will sell on its own merits, you generally don't want to attach someone else's IP to it.

If you want make a shitty game that will probably sink to the bottom of the digital storefronts but want to try to make some money while doing so, you generally want to attach someone else's IP to it.

samred

Here's my interview w/ one of the game's directors: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...-coppola-announces-apocalypse-now-video-game/

Until we see more hard footage, we're left trusting Liberty's claims about what to expect. For starters, Liberty says that recent survival-horror release Resident Evil 7 is closely comparable, though his interactive take on Apocalypse Now will have less tension. "We want Willard to feel powerful at times, to a degree, that he can be capable of doing remarkable things, as long as you the player are smart about it," he says.

Still, resource scarcity and weakness will factor into the experience, which takes place in Vietnam and Cambodia's jungles, towns, and rivers. Liberty says the team is working on item-crafting systems and will make sure players can't just "brush off damage" or "run and gun."

That hints at a less brash, less combat-heavy FPS game. That jibes with project leaks from 2013 that suggested an interactive Apocalypse Now would de-emphasize combat or add dark twists to it. However, some of Liberty's comments about "first-person mechanics," including a suggestion that a "major first-person shooter developer" will soon join the team, suggest more active gameplay than, say, the RPG pedigree that preceded the announced devs so far. Either way, Liberty is intrigued by VR as a possibility for the project, though its viability will be determined later in production.

Jito

Banned
Bad idea starting any kickstarter without a prototype to show off what the game will even be like. It'll be an uphill battle from now on to gather any interest.

xihg38M.gif

Please be legit.

The funding so far seems to be slow. Poorly-put together Kickstarters like this - just look at the unknown/vague details in above article - should make you cautious.

majik13

wasnt there game footage in the video, or at least looked like game footage.

Waveset

I dont understand the logic of console ports as a goal.

I want to play it on PS4 but I should back this and then have to pay full price when its been ported? If it doesn't get a console port, just play it on PC.

JP

I can't imagine this is going to happen but I'll sign up to it and reassess whether I want to give them money just before the end of the Kickstarter. They'll need at least $2.500,000 to fund the PS4 version before I even consider handing over money for it.

I'm really not sure there's any need of a Apocalypse Now game but I do like the sound of an RPG set in that sort of world.

MartyStu

Look, I love the names attached this, but we need more.

They should not have started this KS without a prototype. Or at least a VERY detailed doc.

kevin1025

Banned
The funding so far seems to be slow. Poorly-put together Kickstarters like this - just look at the unknown/vague details in above article - should make you cautious.

None of the talent involved have mentioned it on Twitter, as far as I can find. Maybe there is and I can't find it.

And some of the dialogue from Coppola's message sounds like a rip from Hearts of Darkness, the documentary.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

jett

D-Member
Given the pictures in the page and the small glimpse of footage in the pledge video, I don't see how they can make this for 900k, even less stretch it until beyond 2020.

Also: lol at the final backer incentive. That's something.

Toxi

Banned
Not an RPG or set in Vietnam.

Great game, though.
It's a joke because Spec-Ops the Line is basically Apocalypse Now: The Game, in the same way that Apocalypse Now is Heart of Darkness: The Movie.

I'd be interested in this if the Kickstarter were less suspicious.

Ok the design part has more muscle behind it than most games, but what about the crew doing the small things. I get they are way ahead in pre production, but would 900K be enough for the ground work?

edit: Scratch that, Sawyer is just a consultant in this.

None of the talent involved have mentioned it on Twitter, as far as I can find. Maybe there is and I can't find it.

And some of the dialogue from Coppola's message sounds like a rip from Hearts of Darkness, the documentary.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid.
That's very odd and irregular. Especially for a campaign launch day.

But just in general, KS pages like this really just come across as unprofessional when you compare them to, for example, yesterday's Beautiful Desolation page or Sundered

I mean, come on, most of the pictures on the Kickstarter page are screenshots from the movie

OzzieTF

Banned
Really like this to be something, but 900k is for what? Generated buzz or news?
Keeping expectations in check for this one.

deadlast

That's very odd and irregular. Especially for a campaign launch day.

But just in general, KS pages like this really just come across as unprofessional when you compare them to, for example, yesterday's Beautiful Desolation page or Sundered

I mean, come on, most of the pictures on the Kickstarter page are screenshots from the movie

I feel like this might be a marketing research type of KS. This is a good way to test viability of an idea without spending much money at all.

Spaghetti

Apparently the prototype teaser is going live around this time next week.

I don't know if I'm going to back it, but I'm curious based on just how weird this whole thing is.

soultron

Banned
Never launch a KS without prototype gameplay footage or a demo.

If you make this mistake in 2017, you will never get even a passing glance from me, let alone my money.

Top Bottom