• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Atlus requested removal of all Persona 5 info from RPCS3 site

dex3108

Atlus claimed rights over all Persona 5 related material/info from RPCS3 website and forums, they even had to remove it from compatibility list.

An official statement is coming.

Just going to say one thing already: There will never ever be a PC port of this game. This is known for certain. So drop that thought for now.

As for the rest of the story, stand by for an official announcement.

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/...ce_of_mediainfo_related_to_persona_5/dnhktug/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/72an9x/every_piece_of_mediainfo_related_to_persona_5/

Well it looks like that Atlus really doesn't like PC.

Official statement from RPCS3 team:

Background

As quite a few observant people have already noticed, every single mention of ”Persona 5" has been deleted from all pages on rpcs3.net including the game's name from the compatibility database. The morning of September 23rd we woke up to a calling card. Here is exactly what happened:

Atlus U.S.A. filed a DMCA takedown request directly to Patreon requesting the removal of Nekotekina & kd-11's Patreon page for RPCS3 development. The reason given is as follows:
”The PS3 emulator itself is not infringing on our copyrights and trademarks; however, no version of the P5 game should be playable on this platform; and [the RPCS3] developers are infringing on our IP by making such games playable"

Patreon responded to this request by stating they do not believe that removing the Patreon page entirely to be reasonable, given that the page itself does not specifically infringe on Atlus's IP, and that they believe the emulator itself falls under fair use. After Patreon declined to remove the Patreon page, Atlus retorted by alleging:

”We kindly ask that you remove both for this reason – to make Persona 5 work on the emulator, the user has to circumvent our DRM protections. The following blog post provides specific instructions for ”dumping the disc or PSN download" and discusses how Patreon finding [sic] contributed to this breakthrough: [link since removed]."

Here's a quote of our ”specific [dumping] instructions" straight from our Quickstart guide. Note that this is Method A, as Method B up until today at least doesn't work on any of the existing Persona 5 versions:

”We recommend that you dump your own PlayStation 3 games and software from your own console. We believe that this is the most efficient and safest way to migrate your disc-based games and digital games from your console to your PC without the hassle of repairing bad game dumps found on the internet or possible legal repercussions. To do this, you will need a PlayStation 3 system with a custom firmware and various software tools that are used to rip/dump games from your system's Blu-ray drive or internal storage.”

Making personal copies of legally purchased games is legal where the RPCS3 web services are hosted and where main RPCS3 developers live. Perhaps this is not legal everywhere in the world; however, it certainly seems irrelevant to DMCA the Patreon page for an alleged crime elsewhere. Since a DMCA takedown would only target our Patreon (US based) and since our website is based outside the US, such action against our Patreon page would only end up temporarily cutting our main developers' salaries and ultimately leaving the website untouched (note that Atlus requested the immediate removal of the Patreon page and not any content from the rpcs3.net website itself).

Actions taken and comments

In discussion with the very helpful people over at Patreon we have decided to proceed with caution. Per the request of Patreon, we removed every single reference to Persona 5 on the Patreon page itself and rpcs3.net. This seems to have resolved the situation.
We find it very interesting that Atlus would immediately try to shut down the Patreon page without any prior communication. Their primary reason given being: ”no version of the P5 game should be playable on this platform [PC]" is quite peculiar indeed. Why Atlus would choose this time to target this project will probably never be known. We choose not to speculate about the reasons at this time and hope for there to be open communication with Atlus. We firmly believe we operate within a legal framework and will continue to work on RPCS3, undeterred.

Whatever happened, we ask everyone to be nice. RPCS3 as a project and the Patreon itself are safe. And whatever people may wish, there's no way to stop any playable game from being executed on the emulator. Blacklisting the game? RPCS3 is open-source, any attempt would easily be reversed. Attempting to take down the project? At the time of this post, this and many other games were already playable to their full extent, and again, RPCS3 is and will always be an open-source project.
Before ending this post, we would like to remind you that when dumping video game software, users are subject to country-specific software distribution laws. RPCS3 is not designed to enable illegal activity. We do not promote piracy nor do we allow it under any circumstances. Please take the time to review copyright and video game software dumping laws and/or policies for your country before proceeding. By following our game dumping instructions, you will do so at your own discretion. Should you follow these instructions against your local law, we shall not be held responsible for your actions.

And now for something completely different. We want to showcase some upcoming improvements. The following screenshots were taken with an internal development build. We see screenshots of Demon's Souls (before & after) and Atelier Escha & Logy (before & after) as they originally look in 720p, and how they look after being rendered at 2560x1440 and with added 16x anisotropic filtering. Quite an improvement to say the least.
--The RPCS3 Team

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/72lo12/statement_atlus_usa_attempts_to_shut_down/

Official Atlus response:

ATLUS and Emulation

You might have heard earlier today that we issued a DMCA takedown notice involving emulation developer group RPCS3 and their Patreon page. Yes, it's true. We settled upon this action for two reasons:

We believe that our fans best experience our titles (like Persona 5) on the actual platforms for which they are developed. We don't want their first experiences to be framerate drops, or crashes, or other issues that can crop up in emulation that we have not personally overseen. We understand that many Persona fans would love to see a PC version. And while we don't have anything to announce today, we are listening! For now, the best way to experience Persona 5 is on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3.

We appreciate the awareness generated by the emulation community for Persona 5 and know that it is a fantastic example of how much people are loving our game. We want to keep bringing you titles like Persona 5. Unfortunately, when our content is illegally circumvented and potentially made available for free, in a format we do not think delivers the experience and quality we intend, it undermines our ability to do so by diverting potential support from new audiences.
We want to continue having a dialogue about where and how you would like to play our games. Please let us know what you think.

http://atlus.com/atlus-and-emulation/

MUnited83

For you.
I think this has less to do with Atlus not liking the PC and more Atlus not liking PC savvy people getting their game for free
Yes, because this will stop any of the PC savvy people from getting it. Or stop anyone from pirating it on PS3 as well.
What's the problem with this?
What? Are you fucking serious? Those assholes even went as far as telling them to wipe it out from the compability list entirely.

I think this is the first time a developer getting uncomfortable with their game being listed on some emulator websites.

Nintendo had it worse with Zelda CEMU being released so close to their Switch and Zelda campaign. They did nothing.

Battlechili

Banned
This doesn't really stop RPCS3 development so its all good.
I think this has less to do with Atlus not liking the PC and more Atlus not liking PC savvy people getting their game for free
You don't have to pirate to emulate games, and the implication that emulation equates to piracy is holding the industry back, making it harder for companies to rerelease old games.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
They don't really have legal grounds to ask somebody to remove the mention of it from compatibility list though. Owning a valid copy and trying to play it on RPCS3 isn't even illegal. That's beyond petty.

Atlus don't want their game being played on a PC. They don't want their game being affiliated with anything near a PC. It's not gonna stop their game from being pirated, in fact it's just gonna make people use the emulator to play Persona 5 just in spite of Atlus' request.

Threatening streamers with bans, not allowing any kind of Shareplay for their game, and not wanting their games on a PC...absolutely ridiculous in this time period.

Lime

They probably didn’t like that people could take screenshots.

Also, smh @ people who automatically equate emulation with piracy

Something something piracy doesn't equate to lost sales something something.

I never got that excuse. "They're not losing a sale from me since I was never gonna buy it anyway!" Well in that case you certainly still don't have the right to play it, it's not rocket science?

Then again Persona 5 is an absolutely phenomenal game and I'd like everyone to play it, I know everyone's not willing to buy a whole console for it like I was...

Foffy

Banned
They don't really have legal grounds to ask somebody to remove the mention of it from compatibility list though. Owning a legal copy and trying to play it on RPCS3 isn't even illegal. That's beyond petty.

This is the same stupid company that threatened people with DMCA claims if they showed footage of the game after a certain point post-release.

Atlus is on a roll of stupid.

I never got that excuse. "They're not losing a sale from me since I was never gonna buy it anyway!" Well in that case you certainly still don't have the right to play it, it's not rocket science?

Then again Persona 5 is an absolutely phenomenal game and I'd like everyone to play it, I know everyone's not willing to buy a whole console for it like I was...

I imagine Atlus is doing this primarily because like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, it will be the emulation of the version on the obsolete platform that, based on hacks and tweaks, will perform better than the version they actually want you to buy.

BotW's Wii U version can be ran at 60fps in an emulator, something the Switch's version cannot do. I believe this is similar with Persona 5.

Sokka

can't say I have a problem with this

They're removing discussions talking about the game, just as NeoGAF their forums probably doesn't allow direct piracy links so its not like they are spreading on how to get the game for free. There's nothing wrong with just talking and discussing.

artsi

What's piracy got to do with it? This thread is about emulation.

MUnited83

For you.

Jesus fucking christ with this idiocy again. People can and play their own games on emulators. And the PS3 version has been widely pirated on PS3 consoles since the very day of the release of the game.
I'm not saying that, I just mean I don't think it's a fair conclusion that this means that Atlus hates the PC
Considering their whole history, it's a pretty fair and extremely accurate conclusion.

Pepboy

Hopefully this means Persona 5 golden will be announced in the next few months. Really hope the localization will fix the awkward grammar this time.

I was hoping for a TGS announcement but maybe they'll wait for another 6-12 months.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This is the same stupid company that threatened people with DMCA claims if they showed footage of the game after a certain point post-release.

Atlus is on a roll of stupid.

It's the children who are wrong.

CmdBash

People can still play it using the emulator, no real features were removed right? Then I don't see a problem with Atlus asking for a request of removing information when the emulator devs profit off patreon from it.

Eusis

Just going to say one thing already: There will never ever be a PC port of this game. This is known for certain. So drop that thought for now.

As for the rest of the story, stand by for an official announcement.
I'm glad this is apparently just from the RPCS3 developer, not anyone Atlus affiliated. Not that I'd be optimistic for one in the near future anyway, it'd probably come after awhile longer and part of an initiative to get stuff onto PC.
can't say I have a problem with this
If taken further I think this sort of thing can get ugly, or at least really dumb. Imagine using this to silence dissent or a general information site.

EDIT: Nevermind it got game discussion silenced on the boards. You really want to see companies keep pulling THAT kind of shit?

FingerBang

Hopefully this means Persona 5 golden will be announced in the next few months. Really hope the localization will fix the awkward grammar this time.

I was hoping for a TGS announcement but maybe they'll wait for another 6-12 months.

Don't expect it anytime soon, but we should definitely have news by next TGS.

A normal company would take note of the demand for its games on a platform and try to address that demand by releasing them officially.

Durante

I don't think they have a legal leg to stand on.

Edit: when it comes to something like a compatibility list entry that is, or an article containing information on the state of the game, not necessarily assets.

Eila

Talk about petty. Emulation of their game can only mean extra sales, let alone actually making a port for such a requested game. It's bizarre, not even Sony does it.

This tired argument.
Ikr, its way more likely that a business has childish bias against a platform than the fact that it doesn't want a possibly illegal platform being marketed using its materials without their permission.

Its petty i agree but to suggest that its because theyre just a bunch pc haters or something is worse.

Talk about petty. Emulation of their game can only mean extra sales, let alone actually making a port for such a requested game. It's bizarre, not even Sony does it.

It certainly doesn't ONLY mean extra sales.

Eh they can do as they like but all they're doing is bringing more attention to the emulator and it's not going to stop them from working on it

MUnited83

For you.
I'm not arguing anything, I think it sucks ����*♀️

Atlus publish games on the PC. They're more than just SMT. To say they hate the PC because of this is silly

Atlus USA publishes games on PC.
Atlus JP doesn't.

Which one do you think people are talking about? And yes, Atlus JP hates PC. They've proven this time and time and time again.
Ikr, its way more likely that a business has childish bias against a platform than the fact that it doesn't want a possibly illegal platform being marketed using its materials without their permission.

Its petty i agree but to suggest that its because theyre just a bunch pc haters or something is worse.
Again, Atlus has proven time again to be backwards shitheads that constantly make decisions that make no sense whatsoever.

Lemstar

Yeah, I was wondering about this.

If there were screenshots of the game running in those articles, those are Atlus's assets and they're subject to DMCA claims, but is the game's name really something they can get taken down?

gngf123

I’m not saying that, I just mean I don’t think it’s a fair conclusion that this means that Atlus hates the PC

Atlus have shown consistent distain for the perform at every turn. This isn't a one off (in fact it's one of the weaker examples)

Atlus exist in a vacuum, completely out of touch.

Eusis

And I think it's really silly to say they HATE PC unless you can find statements explicitly to that effect. It's more likely they just don't give a fuck about PC and don't feel it's worth devoting resources to getting the games released on PC (especially from a Japan centric viewpoint), a lot of Sega franchises that are more Japan focused, like Yakuza, don't have resources invested to putting on PC. Hopefully if they see that demand is there for those too they devote resources to getting the games ported over.

hughesta

Banned
They're removing discussions talking about the game, just as NeoGAF their forums probably doesn't allow direct piracy links so its not like they are spreading on how to get the game for free. There's nothing wrong with just talking and discussing.
Oh I didn't realize this. That's fucked up.

Jacobson

Probably doesn't like the fact that it says on the site that P5 is playable from start to end. Doesn't matter, I already have it lol

And I think it's really silly to say they HATE PC unless you can find statements explicitly to that effect. It's more likely they just don't give a fuck about PC and don't feel it's worth devoting resources to getting the games released on PC (especially from a Japan centric viewpoint), a lot of Sega franchises that are more Japan focused, like Yakuza, don't have resources invested to putting on PC. Hopefully if they see that demand is there for those too they devote resources to getting the games ported over.
Exactly. Hatred and apathy are not the same things

Looking at a company asking to have something removed from and emulation site, as dumb as that is, and then proclaiming that they hate the PC is reactionary and silly

Tapejara

Yeah, even in the RPCS3 Discord server I routinely see pirates turned away.

Edit: when it comes to something like a compatibility list entry that is, not necessarily assets.

Legality isn't necessary when you're a large corporation that can threaten expensive lawsuits. You don't need to win a lawsuit to do severe financial damage to the one you're suing.

MUnited83

For you.

Oh yes, they hate PC so little that they in fact became the very first publishers threatening a emulator that runs over a thousand games.

No sir, they totally don't hate PC and this is totally a super common thing for a publisher to do yes sir

Oh yes, they hate PC so little that they in fact became the very first publishers threatening a emulator that runs over a thousand games.

No sir, they totally don't hate PC and this is totally a super common thing for a publisher to do yes sir
You know it’s possible to talk on the internet without sounding like a complete dickhead, right?

"Own games", yeah right.

People who play their own games through emulators are just a drop in the ocean compared to those who just download the game free from some site.

In my opinion they have every right to ask for removal, because it is not officially stated compability. It is just some weeb who made an emulator and says that it works with it.

Eusis

Because people being able to pirate a game isn't a potential reason? They won't care if people can still get the game legitimately and play it that way, much as the likes of Nintendo and Sony don't tolerate homebrew for the legit uses.

Yes, because this will stop any of the PC savvy people from getting it. Or stop anyone from pirating it on PS3 as well.

Of course none of that will happen, but my guess would be that Atlus still need to be seen to be doing this stuff so if it ever ends up in court, etc they can say they defended their copyright/trademark.

Top Bottom