• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Atlus requested removal of all Persona 5 info from RPCS3 site

shiyrley

Banned
This is why I love the open source community and why I hate something like Cemu which is completely open to corporate intimidation because only the Cemu team has the source.

You don't have to be in the right legally. You just need to send some scary letters around.

Surely it has nothing to do with the fact that PC gaming worldwide is larger than all the other platforms combined or the fact that niche games have found incredible success on the platform along with these games being available for sale until the end of time. Square Enix, Take Two and EA have profited immensely off the sale of games that released in the 2000s or earlier... Meanwhile console games require specific ports and even then have a limited "shelf life". This may change due to the x86-based consoles but this would be a recent development and even then, no graphical menus so these games are stuck at whatever technical state they were released in... Without mods too.

Publishers hate DRM. They use it so they're not screamed at by investors for not "protecting THEIR investments" at the next earnings call. DRM is not the reason why the PC platform is succeeding.
At least they've said that if they can't continue development they will release the source. Even if they get shut down somehow, which won't happen because,regardless of the irrelevant salt that emulation produces on this forum, emulation is 100% legal without grey areas, but even if it happens, the source code will probably get "leaked" hours after that

People happily defending anti-consumer practices again on here.

It saddens me that there will always be a portion of people that will willingly accept being screwed over.

elyetis

Wow, Atlus USA is really bad at this
To be fair to them, I don't see how they could spin it a a way which would please us without throwing under the bus whoever is responsible for that decision.
aka :
I wonder if Atlus America will comment like before?
"Sorry Atlus japan are arshole who hate PC gaming, peace."
Honestly the best they could have done is.. saying nothing. Because even if ( hopefully ) they don't agree with what was done regarding RPCS3, any communication would be trying to justify it... which they now sadly did.

Paragon

I knew that a statement from Atlus would clear this up. To whoever it is at Atlus that is fighting the good fight, thank you.
Without your actions, I might have accidentally purchased a copy of Persona 5 or Catherine and played it on my PC once RPCS3 was in a better state, rather than not at all. At higher resolutions and framerates instead of 720p30, going against the original console experience that is so important to your games.

And thank you for your previous actions in preventing people from streaming the game or doing Let's Plays and spoiling it for me. It's just too bad that you did not take action sooner, as I had Persona 4 spoiled for me by being forced to watch a playthrough of the game.
Those videos made me aware of a series I had previously written off as being "not my thing", and led me down the dark path of buying and playing several more of the games that you have developed - both in the Shin Megami Tensei series (and spin-offs) as well as other properties like Etrian Odyssey.
Despite it being ruined for me, I still ended up buying a copy of Persona 4 and... I'm sorry, but I have to say it... played the game at high resolutions in 16:9 on my PC instead of the original 4:3 480i, along with things like savestates for convenience instead of having to make it to a save point before being allowed to stop playing. I'm so ashamed.
Thanks to your guidance, I know better now. The most important thing about gaming is the system you're playing on, not the games. And games should only ever be played on games consoles.

Seriously though - the way that statement about a PC version of the game is written, is as if it's to give you hope (so don't emulate it!) without promising anything.
I don't believe that a PC version of the game is coming. If there is a port in development, and they just can't talk about it yet due to a deal with Sony, I'd expect to hear something around April 4th. Don't hold your breath.

Seik

Banned
If people want to discuss their belief that Atlus is concerned with piracy, that is of course fine, and that could quite possibly be what's going on here, although they'd be on flimsy legal ground.

If people want to call emulators piracy or make insinuations that people who use emulators are all pirates, that isn't. GAF allows and will continue to allow emulator discussion and it is extremely frustrating for everyone who uses emulators -- especially, again, since we're talking about an emulator for a dead system whose successor has no backwards compatibility -- to get told they're pirates or to have threads about emulation become about people having to prove they're not pirates. It is a totally unproductive line of inquiry. This is not a thread about what you or I or anyone else thinks of people using emulators.

Thank you.

No, seriously, thank you, like honestly. ;_;

Top Bottom