• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Atlus requested removal of all Persona 5 info from RPCS3 site

wazoo

People emulated p4 on PC the day it came out, they didn't care then. Sure things has changed.

At the same time, nothing has changed since yesterday. At most some screenshots were removed.

It seems to be a quite childish move from Atlus. If you want to take down your opponent in the street, you do not ask him to change his shirt.

wazoo

The majority of disc based PS3 games can be ripped using a supporterd Blu-ray drive. You need something called an ird file to patch the game files after you've ripped them, but the library of ird's the RPCS3 site links to is missing ones for more recent (think 2013 and later) PS3 games. A lot of the older stuff is covered though, including games like Demon's Souls.

"supported BR Drive" seems the blocking point. Are they widespread ?

Stygr

Banned
If one day, a Persona game comes to PC, i really want to see poor sales and reception, maybe with a lazy ass port. Having this closed mentality in 2017 is not acceptable.

shiyrley

Banned
I want them to replace all mentions to Persona 5 in the changelogs like this:

A certain game: Fixed character shadows on this platform.

That would be hilarious

It is a shitty thing to do, but entirely within their rights. Emulation is still a grey area in certain countries thanks to corporate lobbying.

I wonder if Atlus America will comment like before? SEGA seems really pc friendly too, do they not get input?

Stygr

Banned
It is a shitty thing to do, but entirely within their rights. Emulation is still a grey area in certain countries thanks to corporate lobbying.

I wonder if Atlus America will comment like before? SEGA seems really pc friendly too, do they not get input?

Not sure about that, Bayonetta and Vanquish went to PC thanks to SEGA Europe, where's Yakuza? They can start with Kiwami.
Not all the japanese side games are on PC.

dan2026

Not sure about that, Bayonetta and Vanquish went to PC thanks to SEGA Europe, where's Yakuza? They can start with Kiwami.
Not all the japanese side games are on PC.
Sega seems to be a bizarre company of two halves.
One side progressive and forward thinking, the other stuck somewhere in the 90s with their head in the sand.

Stygr

Banned
Sega seems to be a bizarre company of two halves.
One side progressive and forward thinking, the other stuck somewhere in the 90s with their head in the sand.

Honestly i don't know, on PC they are the only AAA publishers with a lot of RTS and the majority of Total War games were successful, even WarHammer II got a positive reception from critics, they have Amplitude Studio and Relic with Company of Heroes and Sunless Sea and Skies, oh and let's not forget about Football Manager, million seller for every entry in the series, all this thanks to SEGA Europe, they understand the market and they are investing in the PC platform, but SEGA Japan is doing its own shit, they have both Persona and Yakuza but they are not investing in the PC platform like Bamco, Capcom and Square Enix with no apparent reason. I mean, even NIER AUTOMATA, a niche game on consoles first, managed to sell 600.000 copies on Steam and SE is happy about it, Yakuza might do better if it comes to PC...

Atlus can't do much. P5 will still be playable

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/72lo12/statement_atlus_usa_attempts_to_shut_down/

And whatever people may wish, there’s no way to stop any playable game from being executed on the emulator. Blacklisting the game? RPCS3 is open-source, any attempt would easily be reversed. Attempting to take down the project? At the time of this post, this and many other games were already playable to their full extent, and again, RPCS3 is and will always be an open-source project.

Mifec

There was a precedent set that makes it so it's not within their right at all.

Sega EU is pc friendly btw, Japan really isn't.

Shifty

"You're violating our DRM" said somebody who wasn't Sony, platform holder and DRM custodian of the PS3 system.

C'mon Atlus, get outta here with those big gun scare tactics.

tuxfool

Banned
"You're violating our DRM" said somebody who wasn't Sony, platform holder and DRM custodian of the PS3 system.

C'mon Atlus, get outta here with those big gun scare tactics.

They like their restrictions, so they're feeling some adoptive parental feelings.

KyleCross

Can someone actually explain to me how emulation is legal? I've always heard it was but don't know the specifics. Reverse engineering a platform to make it and it's media playable on another platform sounds like serious infringement to me, but Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo can't do anything?

Sophia

Can someone actually explain to me how emulation is legal? I've always heard it was but don't know the specifics. Reverse engineering a platform to make it and it's media playable on another platform sounds like serious infringement to me, but Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo can't do anything?

There were a pair of commercial emulators for the PS1, Bleem and Connectix Virtual Game Station, which were taken to court by Sony. Long story short, Sony lost both lawsuits on every count.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleem!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectix_Virtual_Game_Station

To put it as simply as possible:

Copyright only forbids copying. If you write your own code that is compatible with running existing games but don't use anyone else's code, there is no copying.

Maxinas

The only thing that is illegal is piracy, which is what these emulators normally lead too. There isn't anything illegal about using a game you already own on a disk, and downloading the files to play on a PC.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'll just say, to anyone wondering why someone might use an emulator to play a game they legally own, consider any turn-based RPGs from your childhood that you loved but feel really slow when you try to play them again. Imagine if you could speed the game up by 500% at the press of a button, or use a fan-made texture hack, in addition to running the game at a higher resolution and more stable framerate than on the original hardware.

Also hardware breaks. Rendering a library unplayable. So either buy a new system to run the games you already own, or emulate the system with superior performance.

Tough choice there.

Zomba13

Also hardware breaks. Rendering a library unplayable. So either buy a new system to run the games you already own, or emulate the system with superior performance.

Tough choice there.

Plus it's much more convenient for me to have my PS1 and N64 and Mega Drive etc games all ripped and stored on my PC where I can emulate all of those systems then having to keep them all hooked up.

It's the same logic behind people buying things like the Retron and other multi classic system emulators. So they can play their old games easily on their modern TV and without needing 5 or more systems hooked up.

Azuran

Banned
Like we needed more evidence that Atlus is one of the worst gaming companies in existence.

But I'm sure their bastion of volunteer PR is already trying to find ways to spin this as a positive as we speak.

Stuart444

The only thing that is illegal is piracy, which is what these emulators normally lead too. There isn't anything illegal about using a game you already own on a disk, and downloading the files to play on a PC.

That part is piracy. What you should be saying it, it isn't illegal to rip the game you own to your PC.

Nimby

Banned
Stop ignoring PC then you fuckheads. Why does a company that makes genuinely great games have to be so dimwitted when it comes to a fucking computer?

dsk1210

I might sound silly but there is a good chance they were/are planning on releasing P5 on PC as they have never done this before with any other emulated game.

The fact Sega owns them now and are PC friendly and this recent action maybe points in that direction?

Edit: Demon souls and Catherine are also published as well and they were not mentioned strangely.

Edit: Demon souls and Catherine are talks published as well and they were not mentioned strangely.

I mean there is 3DS emulators in the works too that run Atlus games as well. They are just very defensive about Persona, hell not even Persona, specifically 5.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Edit: Demon souls and Catherine are talks published as well and they were not mentioned strangely.
Atlus didn't ask to remove the mentions of Persona 4 Arena and its sequel from the compatibility list either. Interesting. Why is it just Persona 5 instead of the Atlus PS3 catalogue in its entirety?

I don't want to get my hopes up for a PC port, though. Atlus are stupid, and their reasons probably are as well.

This is why I love the open source community and why I hate something like Cemu which is completely open to corporate intimidation because only the Cemu team has the source.

You don't have to be in the right legally. You just need to send some scary letters around.

lol wishful, I'm not wanting it to happen. It's just common sense with Denuvo not being effective anymore and getting cracked day 1. Good anti piracy software is why publishers actually looked at PC again and we got out of the dark ages of the early-mid 2000s.

Surely it has nothing to do with the fact that PC gaming worldwide is larger than all the other platforms combined or the fact that niche games have found incredible success on the platform along with these games being available for sale until the end of time. Square Enix, Take Two and EA have profited immensely off the sale of games that released in the 2000s or earlier... Meanwhile console games require specific ports and even then have a limited "shelf life". This may change due to the x86-based consoles but this would be a recent development and even then, no graphical menus so these games are stuck at whatever technical state they were released in... Without mods too.

Publishers hate DRM. They use it so they're not screamed at by investors for not "protecting THEIR investments" at the next earnings call. DRM is not the reason why the PC platform is succeeding.

dsk1210

This is why I love the open source community and why I hate something like Cemu which is completely open to corporate intimidation because only the Cemu team has the source.

You don't have to be in the right legally. You just need to send some scary letters around.

I believe that the Cemu team have mentioned previously that they would open source it if they could not work on it anymore.

StereoVsn

This Atlus behaviors seriously just pisses me off. Emulator bullshit, streaming bullshit, dumb DLC scheme for P5, substandard (to previous Atlus efforts) localization, extra milking of the Persona franchise (two freaking Dance games), Atlus tax on 3DS, all are contributing to me considering to stop buying their games new (used is still an option).

I am just tired of backwards and anti-fan behavior that does not even benefit their business (well I guess higher pricing does). In the same vein I love 2K basketball games for their gameplay and presentation but I am about done with VC bullshit. Meh.

mugwhump

Jesus christ, that's even worse than I thought. Going directly after the patreon page and trying to get them to remove compatibility from the emulator itself? This is comical.

Is it fair to say fuck Atlus? Maybe fuck Atlus isn't fair. I'm still gonna say fuck Atlus.
Yeah, I'm thinking it's fuck atlus time. Imma be passing on EOV

Mivey

Reverse engineering stuff is, in most of the wold, including the US, legal. Any program build purely on RE, that doesn't contain any actual code or otherwise copyrightable material, cannot be infringing. The courts in the US have confirmed this for commercial emulators as well, clearly then it would hold for non-commercial emulators as well.

The only real tactic Atlus would have here would be to sue, knowing they would lose, but to force the developers to spend a lot of money on defending themselves. Sounds like the kind of pettiness they would go for, honestly.

Eusis

So y'all that said "Atlus totally doesn't hate PC", what now?;)
Shit, everything Atlus said just confirms the enormous shitheads they are. It's honestly ridiculous.
To split hairs and be pedantic (which... for legal bullshit is usually a good idea actually) saying “no version of the P5 game should be playable on this platform [PC]” can be more "we didn't make a version for this platform, so it shouldn't be playable there UNLESS they're going through non-kosher means." And frankly the people who'd care the most in that way aren't going to be sending the notices, but the lawyers. It's still pretty shitty phrasing on their part and being this kind of control freak is doing no one any good (and continues to be deeply ironic for a game about going against unjust authority figures.)

dex3108

Official Atlus response

ATLUS and Emulation

You might have heard earlier today that we issued a DMCA takedown notice involving emulation developer group RPCS3 and their Patreon page. Yes, it’s true. We settled upon this action for two reasons:

We believe that our fans best experience our titles (like Persona 5) on the actual platforms for which they are developed. We don’t want their first experiences to be framerate drops, or crashes, or other issues that can crop up in emulation that we have not personally overseen. We understand that many Persona fans would love to see a PC version. And while we don’t have anything to announce today, we are listening! For now, the best way to experience Persona 5 is on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3.

We appreciate the awareness generated by the emulation community for Persona 5 and know that it is a fantastic example of how much people are loving our game. We want to keep bringing you titles like Persona 5. Unfortunately, when our content is illegally circumvented and potentially made available for free, in a format we do not think delivers the experience and quality we intend, it undermines our ability to do so by diverting potential support from new audiences.
We want to continue having a dialogue about where and how you would like to play our games. Please let us know what you think.

http://atlus.com/atlus-and-emulation/

Top Bottom