• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Atlus requested removal of all Persona 5 info from RPCS3 site

_Ryo_

It is related to their game and it is potentially advertising and supporting an illegal reproduction of their product.

A judge in court is the only one who can say whether something falls under the USA's 'fair use' exception or not. They totally have the right to sue and try their luck in court if need be.

So you're saying that Atlus also has the right to remove the text "Persona 5" from a list of "Best games of 2017", "Worst games of 2017" "Modern Turn-Based Games" etc, etc. No, they do not, and they don't have the right to remove it from a compatibility list either.

Unknown?

What's piracy got to do with it? This thread is about emulation.
That's ultimately what it's about. No one gets an emulator if they have said game and system. Oh right 5% do but this is why you will see many Japanese companies back off of PC soon.

LordRaptor

That's ultimately what it's about. No one gets an emulator if they have said game and system. Oh right 5% do but this is why you will see many Japanese companies back off of PC soon.

Don't do this.
I run all of my PS2 games through PCSX2 nowadays simply because I have my PC hooked up to my TV and I don't have my PS2 hooked up, and Sony abandoned BC.

Emulation does not automatically equal piracy, and its frankly wishful thinking to believe that Japanese developers seeing good sales for low overheads are going to give that up.

PK Gaming

No other company does this.

Just like region-locked PS3 games, or preventing screenshots for most of their games for that matter.

This.

It's good that you posted, because I want to bring up how Falcom took a completely different stance in regards to PC gaming and its interaction with western audiences. Numerous setbacks aside, being a fan of their games feels great because you genuinely get the sense that they care about all of their audiences.

Atlus's dogmatic adherence to keeping things internal and not giving a shit about its western audiences (remember those region locked streams?) by contrast is
depressing.

_Ryo_

Not true. Also this thread is not about piracy. It's about Emulation and a big company illegally abusing their power to bully a third party. All of the false equivalence is quite tiring.

Peltz

Yes, because this will stop any of the PC savvy people from getting it. Or stop anyone from pirating it on PS3 as well.

What? Are you fucking serious? Those assholes even went as far as telling them to wipe it out from the compability list entirely.

giphy.gif

I still don't understand the outrage.

Meia

This.

It's good that you posted, because I want to bring up how Falcom took a completely different stance in regards to PC gaming and its interaction with western audiences. Numerous setbacks aside, being a fan of their games feels great because you genuinely get the sense that they care about all of their audiences.

Atlus's dogmatic adherence to keeping things internal and not giving a shit about its western audiences (remember those region locked streams?) by contrast is
depressing.

Atlus JPN really is kind of a crap company when it comes to it's non-Japanese customers. A game like Persona 5 having basically no show presence at any E3 is a good indicator of this, considering just how well received it was over here. But why market when you can instead tell your customers how you can and cannot enjoy your game? :\

Forward

Well then.

Now I'm going to go nab up a copy of P5. For my PS3. Probably from GameStop. But definitely a USED copy. And I shall play it on my PC.

Thanks again for cluing me in, Atlus! More people need to know about RPCS3! Keep fight the good fight! Aim straight! And watch your toes!

Unknown?

Don't do this.
I run all of my PS2 games through PCSX2 nowadays simply because I have my PC hooked up to my TV and I don't have my PS2 hooked up, and Sony abandoned BC.

Emulation does not automatically equal piracy, and its frankly wishful thinking to believe that Japanese developers seeing good sales for low overheads are going to give that up.
lol wishful, I'm not wanting it to happen. It's just common sense with Denuvo not being effective anymore and getting cracked day 1. Good anti piracy software is why publishers actually looked at PC again and we got out of the dark ages of the early-mid 2000s.

And for the most part it does equal piracy. You aren't the majority.

Well then.

Now I'm going to go nab up a copy of P5. For my PS3. Probably from GameStop. But definitely a USED copy. And I shall play it on my PC.

Thanks again for cluing me in, Atlus! More people need to know about RPCS3! Keep fight the good fight! Aim straight! And watch you own toes!
People like you are the reason so many games never made it to PSP. Congrats! You're contributing to having less games on your system of choice.

Forward

lol wishful, I'm not wanting it to happen. It's just common sense with Denuvo not being effective anymore and getting cracked day 1. Good anti piracy software is why publishers actually looked at PC again and we got out of the dark ages of the early-mid 2000s.

And for the most part it does equal piracy. You aren't the majority.

Back that up, or back the fuck up.

People like you are the reason so many games never made it to PSP. Congrats! You're contributing to having less games on your system of choice.

You know what? Just back the fuck up.

Durante

This.

depressing.
From what I understand (and note that I'm talking purely personally here; I have no internal insights into any dealings other than those between myself and XSEED), Falcom is pretty hands-off about what the localization companies do with their games in terms of PC porting.

So if you are happy with them, it's because of those companies deciding to invest into the PC port and trying to make it as good as possible.

LordRaptor

Good anti piracy software is why publishers actually looked at PC again and we got out of the dark ages of the early-mid 2000s.

Steam offers 'good enough' anti-piracy. 0 day releases are basically unheard of nowadays.
It also does all of the heavy lifting for publishers regarding distribution methods and payment collection.

Japanese developers absence from the PC is primarily unfamiliarity with it as a viable platform, not any moral stance. If they were so anti piracy as to avoid platforms because of it, well, every fucking playstation ever would have been abandoned.

Forward

Japanese developers absence from the PC is primarily unfamiliarity with it as a viable platform, not any moral stance. If they were so anti piracy as to avoid platforms because of it, well, every fucking playstation ever would have been abandoned.

C'mon. You know hentai ruins everything. ;)

Aeana

I wasn't awake to deal with all of the Emulation=piracy crap earlier in the thread, but the rules will be enforced from here on out. Knock it off.

From what I understand (and note that I'm talking purely personally here; I have no internal insights into any dealings other than those between myself and XSEED), Falcom is pretty hands-off about what the localization companies do with their games in terms of PC porting.

So if you are happy with them, it's because of those companies deciding to invest into the PC port and trying to make it as good as possible.

At least, Falcom allow for these to happens.
For Atlus, we know they refused.

madjoki

PC did fine years before Denuvo. And will do so after it's gone.

warheat

Jesus fucking christ, every thread about emulation always filled with people calling emulation=piracy, even on reddit, it seems to be always the top comment especially when it comes to Nintendo games. What the fuck? WIth that logic, every torrent programs like qbittorrent, uTorrent, or similar shit should be taken down as well. Might as well ban Windows and Internet while you at it.

Aters

These guys behind the emulator are fighting the good fight. Sony doesn't like the idea of backward compatibility Someone must do something.

To quote Angry Joe: Yeah they have the right, to be a fucking dick.

No they really don't, they do not have the right to demand their game removed from a compatibility list.

Lucumo

I mean, most of their games were released for the PC in the first place, except for more recent ones.

Game Guru

Yeah, Atlus is in the clear wrong here since nothing owned by Atlus has been infringed. Not even the piracy argument works since these guys don't distribute the Persona 5 ISO illegally, only an emulator which is definitively legal. If RPCS3 is like any other emulator for disc-based systems, one could even buy the official PS3 release of Persona 5 and use this emulator and a BD-ROM Drive to play it.

jediyoshi

Statement from RPCS3 Team

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/72lo12/statement_atlus_usa_attempts_to_shut_down/

Background

As quite a few observant people have already noticed, every single mention of “Persona 5” has been deleted from all pages on rpcs3.net including the game’s name from the compatibility database. The morning of September 23rd we woke up to a calling card. Here is exactly what happened:

Atlus U.S.A. filed a DMCA takedown request directly to Patreon requesting the removal of Nekotekina & kd-11’s Patreon page for RPCS3 development. The reason given is as follows:

“The PS3 emulator itself is not infringing on our copyrights and trademarks; however, no version of the P5 game should be playable on this platform; and [the RPCS3] developers are infringing on our IP by making such games playable”​

Patreon responded to this request by stating they do not believe that removing the Patreon page entirely to be reasonable, given that the page itself does not specifically infringe on Atlus’s IP, and that they believe the emulator itself falls under fair use. After Patreon declined to remove the Patreon page, Atlus retorted by alleging:

“We kindly ask that you remove both for this reason – to make Persona 5 work on the emulator, the user has to circumvent our DRM protections. The following blog post provides specific instructions for “dumping the disc or PSN download” and discusses how Patreon finding [sic] contributed to this breakthrough: [link since removed].”​

Here’s a quote of our “specific [dumping] instructions” straight from our Quickstart guide. Note that this is Method A, as Method B up until today at least doesn’t work on any of the existing Persona 5 versions:

“We recommend that you dump your own PlayStation 3 games and software from your own console. We believe that this is the most efficient and safest way to migrate your disc-based games and digital games from your console to your PC without the hassle of repairing bad game dumps found on the internet or possible legal repercussions. To do this, you will need a PlayStation 3 system with a custom firmware and various software tools that are used to rip/dump games from your system's Blu-ray drive or internal storage.“​

Making personal copies of legally purchased games is legal where the RPCS3 web services are hosted and where main RPCS3 developers live. Perhaps this is not legal everywhere in the world; however, it certainly seems irrelevant to DMCA the Patreon page for an alleged crime elsewhere. Since a DMCA takedown would only target our Patreon (US based) and since our website is based outside the US, such action against our Patreon page would only end up temporarily cutting our main developers’ salaries and ultimately leaving the website untouched (note that Atlus requested the immediate removal of the Patreon page and not any content from the rpcs3.net website itself).

Actions taken and comments

In discussion with the very helpful people over at Patreon we have decided to proceed with caution. Per the request of Patreon, we removed every single reference to Persona 5 on the Patreon page itself and rpcs3.net. This seems to have made Atlus content enough (for now).
We find it very interesting that Atlus would immediately try to shut down the Patreon page without any prior communication. Their primary reason given being: “no version of the P5 game should be playable on this platform [PC]” is quite peculiar indeed. Why Atlus would choose this time to target this project will probably never be known. We choose not to speculate about the reasons at this time and hope for there to be a dialog with Atlus to resolve these issues. We firmly believe we operate within a legal framework and will continue to work on RPCS3, undeterred.

Whatever happened, we ask everyone to be nice. RPCS3 as a project and the Patreon itself are safe. And whatever people may wish, there’s no way to stop any playable game from being executed on the emulator. Blacklisting the game? RPCS3 is open-source, any attempt would easily be reversed. Attempting to take down the project? At the time of this post, this and many other games were already playable to their full extent, and again, RPCS3 is and will always be an open-source project.

Before ending this post, we would like to remind you that when dumping video game software, users are subject to country-specific software distribution laws. RPCS3 is not designed to enable illegal activity. We do not promote piracy nor do we allow it under any circumstances. Please take the time to review copyright and video game software dumping laws and/or policies for your country before proceeding. By following our game dumping instructions, you will do so at your own discretion. Should you follow these instructions against your local law, we shall not be held responsible for your actions.

And now for something completely different. We want to showcase some upcoming improvements. The following screenshots were taken with an internal development build. We see screenshots of Demon’s Souls (before & after) and Atelier Escha & Logy (before & after) as they originally look in 720p, and how they look after being rendered at 2560x1440 and with added 16x anisotropic filtering. Quite an improvement to say the least.

--The RPCS3 Team

MUnited83

For you.
So y'all that said "Atlus totally doesn't hate PC", what now?;)
Shit, everything Atlus said just confirms the enormous shitheads they are. It's honestly ridiculous.

Lucumo

More recent being everything the last decade? Their last dedicated PC release was Zwei II in 2008.

Yep, that's more recent for me, considering the company has been releasing games for PC since 1982.

(Also, time moves way too fast these days.)

aravuus

Fingers crossed for a PC version, I guess. Haven't had a lot of interest in restarting the game after not realizing I'd lose my late-ish game save when going from the OG PS4 to a Pro. CE's speedhack would make playing through the early parts again much easier.

I wonder how Atlus found out about Persona 5 running on PS3 emulator on PC in Japan

I think they have the access to the same internet pages as us in Japan

wazoo

If RPCS3 is like any other emulator for disc-based systems, one could even buy the official PS3 release of Persona 5 and use this emulator and a BD-ROM Drive to play it.

I do not think you can do that. That would be interesting. I own many retail ps3 games.

Lunar15

Yeah this really does put 100% of Atlus' paranoia towards PC in perspective. They never want to be on that platform, ever.

Good anti piracy software is why publishers actually looked at PC again and we got out of the dark ages of the early-mid 2000s.

HAHAHAHAHA
Jesus Christ.
I mean, you're already banned, but it's hilariously sad that there are people on this forum that actively believe this.

ghibli99

Can't take P5 screenshots, they want to control exactly what I share, and now this. Why am I not surprised? I love Persona, but I'm finding it more difficult with each of these decisions/restrictions to continue supporting Atlus.

Gestault

I would love for this to be a groundwork-type action as a precursor to an actual, supported PC port. I'm not holding my breath, and after the publisher "protected" the game from screen-caps and video sharing of legitimate users in line with the rest of the PS3/4 platforms, I don't have any reason to assume.

I have very little goodwill for the ownership around this game. Yes, I really like the screenshot feature, lol.

Tapejara

I do not think you can do that. That would be interesting. I own many retail ps3 games.

The majority of disc based PS3 games can be ripped using a supporterd Blu-ray drive. You need something called an ird file to patch the game files after you've ripped them, but the library of ird's the RPCS3 site links to is missing ones for more recent (think 2013 and later) PS3 games. A lot of the older stuff is covered though, including games like Demon's Souls.

Top Bottom