• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple airpods are for sale with Pre-Xmas delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.

jts

...hate me...
might as well not even mention automatically switching as a feature then. I mostly listen to podcasts and watch videos which aren't even available on the Apple Watch. So you have to manually switch every time you pick up an iPad?! What happens if you get a call when watching/paired with Apple TV; how do you answer it?
You cannot answer that call via the AirPods. Could be a cool trick if the iPhone could detect the AirPods in proximity and allow a button that will both answer the call and connect to them, but nothing of the sort seems in place. But it seems to be very feasible.
Can't find the posts in this thread. Reviews are mixed. iMore says it switches automatically while Tidbits only mentions the watch and phone with the control menu for others. jts can you confirm?
Can’t confirm, don’t own an iPad atm. There’s only an old iPad 2 in the house, which doesn’t support the W1 features. I did read the same as you though.

Enzom21

Lol, at you Apple sword bearers. There's no excuse that you have to buy a separate cable for literally every port on your laptop.

"Apple sword bearers" well aren't you special. Apple sux0r right? Man I remember being 13.
There are very legitimate gripes about the new Macbook but apple including a cable with the airpods that most people can currently use isn't one of them.

jts

...hate me...
"Apple sword bearers" well aren't you special. Apple sux0r right? Man I remember being 13.
There are very legitimate gripes about the new Macbook but apple including a cable with the airpods that most people can currently use isn't one of them.
I wouldn't say most, literally everyone getting AirPods has a USB charger (comes with the iPhone amongst other things). The AirPods have a 24 hour battery, you just charge them at home.

Maximus.

Do Apple stores have replacement stock? I er...had a mishap last night and lost my left one.

I don't know...let me check the public Genius Bar data base....

I am considering these over beats X after all the positive reviews and it not looking as silly as I first thought.

Big Blue

No, I love the old Macbook. Reread my post, Apple not including a cable with the iPhone 7, iPad, pretty much every Macbook periperhal to connect to the new Macbbook is a legitimate gripe.

I don't know...let me check the public Genius Bar data base....

I am considering these over beats X after all the positive reviews and it not looking as silly as I first thought.

Thanks for the useful reply.

If anyone's curious, after some research today, it seems if you lose an Airpod, and need a replacement you have to bring your case, remaining earphone, and packaging in, and you trade it in for a new set of airpods for $69.

Enzom21

No, I love the old Macbook. Reread my post, Apple not including a cable with the iPhone 7, iPad, pretty much every Macbook periperhal to connect to the new Macbbook is a legitimate gripe.

Why would they include a cable with the iPhone 7 for a device they hadn't even announced yet?

icespide

Banned

If anyone's curious, after some research today, it seems if you lose an Airpod, and need a replacement you have to bring your case, remaining earphone, and packaging in, and you trade it in for a new set of airpods for $69.

whoa! thats interesting, so you get a whole new set

jts

...hate me...

Wow, are you sure about that?

Because that would mean complete battery service for $69 as well, and that's way, waaaaaaaay below Apple's quoted cost, which is $49 a piece (=$147).

Plus what would Apple even do with the old parts? As far as I know there's no way to refurbish them, so they are a loss for Apple, except for what they get for recycling them, like mining minerals and such.

Maybe it's that way while supply is still low so they can't afford to produce discrete replacement parts yet. Edit: but if I think about it, not even that makes much sense because they could just make the stores open a box and give just the necessary part, keeping the rest as potential replacements - but then again, they are not individually sealed which could be an issue. Dunno.

I'm only going off of the fact that they specifically told me to bring everything I currently have (the box, the case, the remaining headphone), and that I'd have to go early in the morning when they get their daily shipments in. So I'm guessing for simplicity's sake, they're swapping out a lost set for a new one.

yeah, me too. wtf. didn't know you had to manually choose them.
Yeah it's kinda disappointing they don't have multipoint outside the Watch. With my QC35s they're automatically paired to the last two things you've connected to within range.

At home I have the phone and Apple TV and at work my MacBook and phone. Just hit pause on one device and hit play on the other. If you want to switch to a third device just toggle it in the included app.

icespide

Banned
I'm only going off of the fact that they specifically told me to bring everything I currently have (the box, the case, the remaining headphone), and that I'd have to go early in the morning when they get their daily shipments in. So I'm guessing for simplicity's sake, they're swapping out a lost set for a new one.

wonder if they're doing that only because stock is so short right now

Deku Tree

Wow the range on my AirPods in my house is crazy. I can be on a different floor from my iPhone and still get the same quality music playback. Without line of sight.

They're telling you to retail swap it, not go through the Genius Bar. Genius Bar never requires packaging

jts

...hate me...
Anyone with the AirPods and the Apple Remote Loop?

If so, do me a solid and test out if they stay together, thanks!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's a bit of an overreaction. May be useless to your specific use case.

I just use my watch to skip or I embrace the random playlist and focus on my workout.

But even if you have an Apple Watch, you still need to lift your wrist, press the side button, select the 'now playing' app (hopefully it was the last one used so it's the first one to choose), then you can skip tracks and control volume with the crown.

Not exactly as easy as 'double click remote control' on wired earphones.

I don't really understand - they should have the capacity to basically mirror the existing remote.
- single tap play/pause
- double tap skip
- triple tap rew

You could add volume control to the other ear.
- press and hold : volume up until you let go
- tap once and then press and hold: volume down until you let go
- double tap for Siri if necessary

Missing basic blind controls for playback makes this funademtally flawed IMO. I'd even consider a separate remote I could clip to my shirt or something.

Wow the range on my AirPods in my house is crazy. I can be on a different floor from my iPhone and still get the same quality music playback. Without line of sight.

I'm glad to hear this!

Also, it is up to you to find a way to get them to work with the PS4!

jts

...hate me...
But even if you have an Apple Watch, you still need to lift your wrist, press the side button, select the 'now playing' app (hopefully it was the last one used so it's the first one to choose), then you can skip tracks and control volume with the crown.

Not exactly as easy as 'double click remote control' on wired earphones.

I don't really understand - they should have the capacity to basically mirror the existing remote.
- single tap play/pause
- double tap skip
- triple tap rew

You could add volume control to the other ear.
- press and hold : volume up until you let go
- tap once and then press and hold: volume down until you let go
- double tap for Siri if necessary

Missing basic blind controls for playback makes this funademtally flawed IMO. I'd even consider a separate remote I could clip to my shirt or something.
It can become easier with the Apple Watch if you have the Playing Now complication.

On the other hand some commands you suggest don’t seem feasible with the AirPods technology.

There’s a good reason why they require double tap to Siri (or play/pause, depending on your settings) and not just single tap: you don’t want it to get it accidentally activated all the time. Touch your head, that’s a tap, lean on the bus window, that’s a tap, adjust the AirPods themselves, that’s a tap. You get the idea. While a double tap is a more intended and deliberate gesture. So for 3 different commands, you’d be having from double tap to quadruple tap. That’s a lot of taps.

Secondly, there’s no button or touch sensor on the AirPods. So there isn’t “hold” input. It only has a motion sensor, which works binarily. It either moves, which is registered as an input, or it doesn’t. To hold them, for them it’s the same as they are staying put after being touched.

But I agree there’s much that could be done, especially on the left/right front.

TheGrue

My son got a pair delivered today and I was excited to see if maybe they would fit in my ear without falling out. Nope. Would be awesome if they made some ones that have ear clips as that's pretty much my only option for wireless headphones that I could run in.

Deku Tree

My son got a pair delivered today and I was excited to see if maybe they would fit in my ear without falling out. Nope. Would be awesome if they made some ones that have ear clips as that's pretty much my only option for wireless headphones that I could run in.

Spigen makes a $10 AirPod strap and on Amazon. Or wait for the BeatsX in Feb.

Lunar FC

Feel bad for the person who wants a pair but they gotta replace yours instead.

Juice

they automatically switch. Check out reviews and posts in this very thread confirms

they automatically pair. Mine have never automatically switched. Each time I change devices I've needed to manually select the AirPods as if they were an AirPlay target.

Do Apple stores have replacement stock? I er...had a mishap last night and lost my left one.

The Genius Bar should have its own support stock but because it's so new they probably are just holding a few retail boxes as support.

Yup, sounds like they're just goign to facilitate a swap because they only have retail devices for now.

TheGrue

Spigen makes a $10 AirPod strap and on Amazon. Or wait for the BeatsX in Feb.

No, I mean somrething that would make them look more like this:

Code:
[img]http://ghk.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/11/550048f0994a8-sony-active-style-black-s3.jpg[/img]

Beats makes a pair similar to these that Have a strap to connect them. I had a pair, but my sweat made them malfunction eventually.

Deku Tree

Code:
[img]http://ghk.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/11/550048f0994a8-sony-active-style-black-s3.jpg[/img]

Beats makes a pair similar to these that Have a strap to connect them. I had a pair, but my sweat made them malfunction eventually.

Yeah beats makes the power beats3 like that.

Don't know about sweat making them malfunction. I would hope that we're resistant to that since they are earphones.

Ron Mexico

Got my set in yesterday. Put them in as I was getting out of my car to walk to the train station. Left one fell out almost immediately-- to be fair, my hands were freezing and I might not have seated them properly in my ear but panicked nonetheless. They were fine the whole train ride in, but I do admit I was keenly aware of them being there considering the one fell out once.

For reference-- never really had issues with the wired set, aside from once in a great while under similar circumstances as this morning.

I'm no audiophile but from what I can tell the sound quality is at least consistent if not a hair better compared to the wired buds.

jts

...hate me...
Oh, very interesting! An apple lifehack!'
Yeah but no luck. The Apple Remote Loop only works with the Siri Remote. Would have been great.

So the news that the AirPods were supposed to be USB-C apparently made the rounds in 9to5Mac. The evidence? A Lightning connector that is exactly like in the iPhones hahahaha :|

TheGrue

Yeah beats makes the power beats3 like that.

Don't know about sweat making them malfunction. I would hope that we're resistant to that since they are earphones.

Yeah, I had Powerbeats2. The problem with them, I think, is that because you have to hook a USB plug to charge them, it gives them a spot for sweat to move in. There's a flap, but I find it doesn't work well enough. Going to check out the 3s to see if they made any improvements. What I guess I would want is something like the airpods that charge in a case to remove that port.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Code:

I'd like something like this without the cable

mf.luder

Mine arrived today. I'm having a hard time getting them out of the case haha. They fit nicely in the ear and no concerns about losing them. Sounds is okay, not better or worse IMO but the wireless freedom is pretty slick.

Vuze

Got to take mine for a test drive and they are legit! Such a great and smooth experience (on my 5S too, so not even the latest phone required for full functionality). Can't say they sound better or worse than my old EarPods, perhaps a bit punchier bass. But I only used them "by the way" so far and didn't really focus on the sound.

They fit my ears great, didn't fall out during a quick sprint, dizzying head shaking and conscious sideway leaning. They also look pretty good on my head, no 'concerns' whatsoever wearing them in public.

The pieces were 60% charged and went to 100% while we had dessert. It's a bit unfortunate that the case is such a fingerprint magnet but I'll have to deal with that :p

Now just give us more control options or offline Siri, apple! Walking around in the house listening on the AirPods with the phone across is incredible, just need phone-less offline controls while I'm out. Single and double tap with individual options for left/right would suffice :|

Happy holidays!

Ambient80

I know they're not AirPods but I got a set of Beats Solo 3 wireless headphones and the pairing system is the same. Damn, it's so simple. This is how it should be. These sound great, too, I don't care what folks say about Beats. I'm quite happy :D

Exchanged my pair for another one today. Was having an issue where I would put the pods in, I'd hear the chime of them connecting, but when I would double tap to get Siri to start listening the double tap gestures wouldn't work. I would have to go into my Bluetooth settings and manually disconnect and reconnect to get it to start working. Obviously that doesn't work for me, the new pair hasn't been doing that so far so that's nice

Ushay

Damn people $219 for these .. holy shit. Awful value for money.

It's like Apple literally has no respect for your investment in their ecosystem.

Exchanged my pair for another one today. Was having an issue where I would put the pods in, I'd hear the chime of them connecting, but when I would double tap to get Siri to start listening the double tap gestures wouldn't work. I would have to go into my Bluetooth settings and manually disconnect and reconnect to get it to start working. Obviously that doesn't work for me, the new pair hasn't been doing that so far so that's nice

I haven't had a chance to go get a replacement pod for the one I lost. Did your apple store have replacement/exchange stock? Is it a bigger store?

iavi

Damn people $219 for these .. holy shit. Awful value for money.

It's like Apple literally has no respect for your investment in their ecosystem.

They're not priced any worse than any other completely cordless Bluetooth set. Cheaper than Bragi actually.

I haven't had a chance to go get a replacement pod for the one I lost. Did your apple store have replacement/exchange stock? Is it a bigger store?

My store had made a mistake, accidentally opened a couple that were supposed to be sellable as demo units when they weren't supposed to. They were supposed to be sent back since they were opened but they made an exception for the exchange since mine weren't working. Didn't have set replacement stock, I managed to pull some strings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom