• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Media Event |OT| 'We Still Have a Lot to Cover'

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am correct in stating that the iPad Mini Retina and IPad Air are essentially the same specs except for the size of the screen? Because if that's true, the Mini is just the obvious choice for me.
We don't know if the mini will have less ram than the Air. Apple typically doesn't disclose this spec.

LCfiner

It’s true. I am terrible at these.

predictions! (I am terrible at these)

iPad mini with retina display maintains same pricing as old ipad mini. 330, 430 etc. base model still 16 GB. uses A6X chip, not A7 variant. WRONG

iPad 5 weighs between 1.1 and 1.2 pounds.same pricing as before, same GB capacities. A7X chip. WRONG (but happy it’s even lighter than I thought)

Apple sells ipad 4 for 400. apple does not sell a one year old ipad mini at all. WRONG and WRONG

Mavericks goes on sale in one week for $20. WRONG

Mac Pro on sale in November starting at $2500. But that config will seem wildly underpowered in at least one aspect (either GPU or storage) so "real" pricing will begin at $3000. WRONG. starts at $3000 but seems like a fair config at the price

Haswell rMBP refresh (and regular MBP). battery life of 8-10 hours RIGHT. 15" model retain dGPU HALF WRONG. base 15” has no dGPU. Only $2600 model

No Apple TV refresh. RIGHT

Modest ipod touch refresh with A6. WRONG

no ipod nano, shuffle refresh. ipod classic stays as is - escapes death for one more year. RIGHT

no major itunes release. just version 11.3 or whatever point release number is next. MAYBE.

no fancy, elaborate ipad covers with built in keyboards. RIGHT

"*Pages, Numbers and Keynote are free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after 1 October 2013. OS X Mavericks required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID."

Wonder what the pricing will be and if there will be an upgrade option. I imagine many people will be in the situation where they purchased a Mac with the student discount and used their App Store vouchers to buy the iWork apps.

Flek

Banned
i dont really get the nexus comparison also. Yes nexus is cheaper, but in every aspect, cheaper materials and shitier os

The iPad Air is thicker, heavier, lower resolution, and more expensive than last year's Nexus 10. Google is set to release an improved design real soon with an SD card slot.

Apple fans won't care, but comparison shoppers have to wonder what in the world is causing Apple to keep sliding behind in design specs.

Ummm, no it isn't. The nexus 10 is 1.4 mm thicker, and 135 grams heavier than the ipad air.

Does that mean it has less battery life? It seems to me it's less volume which means smaller battery.

The physical battery capacity is smaller. 32.4 vs 23.8, but they're claiming the same battery life on both. Presumably the mini's display just plain consumes less power to use - it may have the same number of pixels but LEDs don't have quite as much work to do.

It's also possible - though it wouldn't jive with unifying the platform - that the Mini Retina is clocked a bit lower to account for less space and heat dissipation. But we won't know the answer to any of this until Anandtech or someone similar does a real breakdown.

EDIT:

iPad Air: 469g (1lb)
iPad 2: 600g (1.33lbs)

Retina Mini: 331g (0.73lbs)
Mini: 308g (0.68lbs)

VoxPop

Lackluster event but glad they finally announced the Haswell MBPr's though.

A7 Retina iPad Mini is awesome as well.

iPad 2 @ 399 LOL. At least make it the iPad 3/4

Not sure why they renamed it to iPad Air aside from trying to sell it off as a completely new product to consumers who don't know better.

Mac Pro seems pretty badass though. Hoping my company picks a few up during the holidays.

Jeff-DSA said:
The iPad Air is thicker, heavier, lower resolution, and more expensive than last year's Nexus 10. Google is set to release an improved design real soon with an SD card slot.

Apple fans won't care, but comparison shoppers have to wonder what in the world is causing Apple to keep sliding behind in design specs.

You also forgot to mention that even with higher resolution being its only selling point, they're unfortunately going to end up with an Android tablet built by Samsung.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I don't know where the Ipads (or other ARM tablets) go from here - I've had one for a very long time (since the 1st) but I feel like faster/lighter can only go so far with an ARM chip.

Whats next? Why can't they be more of a "productive" device instead of simply a "consumption" device? If I go on vacation, I need to take a laptop and my iPad...why do I need both?

SuperSah

Banned
i dont really get the nexus comparison also. Yes nexus is cheaper, but in every aspect, cheaper materials and shitier os

In defence, the Nexus is superbly designed, it's thinner and much nicer feeling.

Also, stock Android is not shit at all. It has a ton more features than iOS, the only thing it lacks is tablet orientated apps.

mcfrank

The vast majority of people don't buy on specs, they buy on experience. Apple's experience is way better than Androids. Hence the usage numbers apple cited in their presentation today.

Bit-Bit

I don't know where the Ipads (or other ARM tablets) go from here - I've had one for a very long time (since the 1st) but I feel like faster/lighter can only go so far with an ARM chip.

Whats next? Why can't they be more of a "productive" device instead of simply a "consumption" device? If I go on vacation, I need to take a laptop and my iPad...why do I need both?

May I introduce you to a Surface Pro?

GWX

First of all, read this.... the iPad 2 is still relevant world wide: http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/10/apple-inc-aapl-ipad-5-launch-overshadowed-by-ipad-2/

Second, what do you care if they sell old stuff if it's still popular?

I just figured it would be better to focus on the newer devices, for app developers and such. Also, iOS 7 running on A5-powered iPads is just dreadful, they should at least optimize it better if they are going to keep supporting and producing these devices for at least another year.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Dangit Apple.... what good is a lower price if I have to pony up even MORE for the dgpu?! It's always something...

Xater

No it's not. you are wrong.

And even if that was the case I would still pick an iPad over an Android tablet any day. Tablet apps on Android are lol worthy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

android tablet apps are still shit. Thats the long and short of it. While that is still the case, Apple can get away with premium pricing.

If you just want it for a nice web browser, then I agree there are more cost effective options out there. But if you want apps then there really isn't any other game in town.

Alchemy

You either have bad eyes or don't read alot of books/magazines on your Mini. The lack of a retina display was striking...

The thing for me, is I stare at a 1080p 32 inch display all damn day, so anything with better pixel density than that is basically unnoticeable. I use my phone and tablets are less than I use my work computer or home computer, and I have no complaints about pixel density at 1080p at that size.

Aurongel

Old iPad Mini at $300 and iPad 2 at $400 are literally the most ridiculously priced Apple products I've seen in the past 5 years.

PFD

I had to miss most of the presentation... do the mini and the regular have the same performance specs now?

They didn't go into details. They both have A7, but they could be running at different frequencies. Also, the mini 2 is rumored to have only 1gb ram and the air to have 2gb.

Appleman

Oof at the pricing if you just want discrete graphics in the 15" rMBP but twice the memory, rice the SSD, +0.3GHz, and discrete graphics isn't a bad upgrade if you want all of that.

Still so tempted by the iris pro plus 750m

Huh?

Nexus 10: 263.9 mm x 177.6 mm x 8.9 mm at 603g - 2560 x 1600 (300ppi) - 10.055" http://www.google.com/nexus/10/specs/
iPad Air: 240 mm x 169.5 mm x 7.5 mm at 469g - 2048 x 1536 (264ppi) - 9.7"
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipad/ipad-air

Edit: Just saw your post. Double carry on.

subrock

I had absolutely no interest in upgrading my Macbook Pro before now, but I'm actually considering selling mine 2 year old one right now.

njean777

The point is that the Nexus has better specs for the price point. It is cheaper then the Ipad mini and more then likely more powerful. I think Android sucks, but I am not going to defend Apple's price gouging, the Mini should have had all those specs for the same price point of 329$. The screen and spec bump do not warrant a price increase, especially when alls they did was catch up instead of selling you a worse ipad mini again.

At least troll with correct info

If the Mini 2 literally has hardware/feature parity with the iPad Air, but is just smaller...then I would actually be interested in buying it. I need that 2GB RAM.

If not, Nexus 7 (2013) is my next tablet.

Its mainly that the screen has the exact same DPI and has comparable out of box color calibration.

I'm not the biggest android fan (this is my first device in years) but aside from materials there's a huge price difference when the performance on this is great. I don't see any slowness or choppy animations compared to my 4S.

Appleman

The thing for me, is I stare at a 1080p 32 inch display all damn day, so anything with better pixel density than that is basically unnoticeable. I use my phone and tablets are less than I use my work computer or home computer, and I have no complaints about pixel density at 1080p at that size.

Yikes man, I hope you mean as a TV and not as a monitor from a few feet away. Retina-class displays make a HUGE difference for basically every application that isn't a TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom