• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Media Event |OT| 'We Still Have a Lot to Cover'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleman

It's not equivalent to what the old dGPU would/should/(is on the more expensive model) would have been refreshed too though.

Yeah, it's true. They could have maybe ditched the iris pro and just gone with 5000 + 750m but I think this probably makes more sense, and lets them go a bit cheaper.

I do kind of wish we could just pay for the 750m upgrade though, but I might just go all out.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Again can someone explain to me WTF Apple was suppose to do with the Mini giving how iOS is built at it's core? I'm not saying I like the Mini price hike (I don't), but can someone explain to me how Apple was suppose to somehow magically get around iOS's core design in handling apps?

I was expecting an A6X Mini for the same price.

FYI it looks like all the models are just available for shipping right now. Wonder when they will have them in stock?

Usually only take a day or two. I was planning on dropping by the store this weekend. I'll have to watch the stocks though. Giving my girlfriend my MacBook Air and I'm going to see her next weekend. Would love to surprise her.

jstripes

Banned
In defence, the Nexus is superbly designed, it's thinner and much nicer feeling.

Also, stock Android is not shit at all. It has a ton more features than iOS, the only thing it lacks is tablet orientated apps.

The only thing this car is missing is seats.

AngryMoth

It's going to be a tough decision for me between the air and the mini given the price hike and the fact that the air is so much lighter. I suppose I don't want a 16gb version which probably means I will go with the mini. Quite disappointed with the price though.

Also what up with this no preorders malarky? As in the only way to get one day one is to wait in line? Because fuck that

Enco

I don't know, the new N7 is pretty damn smooth with 60fps OS, the zooming in looks awfully unsettling and stuff, so I give iPad credit for that.

Have you actually used one? I have, and it was not laggy at all. My friend has 2 and I think it is great for the price, but I wouldn't buy one because it is android.

I don't have a Nexus, but my Shield is much more smoother than my mini. Android has really progressed on that front. And as for Apps, both store are interchangeable for me. :/

I haven't used one. Just YouTube and the biggest issue was with Chrome. Scrolling was shockingly slow. I would find that unusable.

They're offering updates to some devices released in 2007. That's like Microsoft releasing Windows 8.1 for free to everyone with Windows 7, or even Vista.

You don't understand what you're talking about at all. It can RUN on those computers, it doesn't mean those computers came with Snow leopard or above. Snow leopard didn't come out until the sept-oct of 09' IIRC. So no, it's nothing like what you're saying.

If you want to do that dumb shit, we can just talk about how it costs $120 to go from Windows 6.1 to 6.2 (7 to 8).

How is windows 7 to windows 8 a .1 increment? They don't label their OSes the same so it's a stupid comparison. By that logic Apple is 4 or so OSes ahead of microsoft since windows 7 being released.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
OS 9 - Introduced on October 23, 1999

Windows 7 - It was released to manufacturing on July 22, 2009, and became generally available for retail worldwide on October 22, 2009

Super fair comparison.
But what about my Macintosh SE? Can I still get Mavericks for free on that?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I was expecting an A6X Mini for the same price.

Then Apple would have to manufacture another chipset. A7 means they can just do one chipset and set it presumably at different clock speeds for both new iPads.

Seriously if iOS had native app scaling then Apple could have gone a different route here. It doesn't though. We've know this going into this conference.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't used one. Just YouTube and the biggest issue was with Chrome. Scrolling was shockingly slow. I would find that unusable.

Chrome for some reason has become shit recently on any device. Even on my Mini, I started to use Safari again instead. :(

Then Apple would have to manufacture another chipset. A7 means they can just do one chipset and set it presumably at different clock speeds for both new iPads.

Seriously if iOS had native app scaling then Apple could have gone a different route here. It doesn't though. We've know this going into this conference.

Well, the performance figures given suggest that its the same clock (A5 in the mini performs exactly as the A5 in the iPad 2).

That's probably true, I have never liked chrome's performance on my friends' android devices. It was the first thing I removed when I got my tablet.

The bump to retina on the Mini reminds me of the move from the iPad 2 to 3, with the subtle increase in thickness and weight. I wonder if the new Mini will also exhibit some heat issues like the 3 did...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Heavier and more expensive than original mini means I am just going to stick with my iPad 3. I am used to it and happy with it. Display is number one for me, and I am happy with the iPad 3 display.

Avtomat

The Macbook Pro with Retina is so tempting pretty much the perfect laptop but £1250 for the 256GB SSD and 8GB ram version in the UK is some bullsheeeiiiiittt.

If the Mini 2 literally has hardware/feature parity with the iPad Air, but is just smaller...then I would actually be interested in buying it. I need that 2GB RAM.

If not, Nexus 7 (2013) is my next tablet.

It's 1GB. Same as iPhone 5s and iPad 4.

Other than that the tech specs are the same, A7, MIMI, M7 ect. It's all on apple.com.

Why else would the $399 iPad 2 with 512mb be reasonable for any current tablet manufacture?

It's just there to offer contrast; here's a popular, cheaper model. Apple has never been interested in selling strictly volume. Psychologically this makes the iPad Air seem like the best deal. (And it is; I mean, would the power difference seem anywhere near as good compared to the iPad 4?)

I agree the iPad 2 is just ridiculous to sell at any price now, but the sales tactics make perfect sense.

What I hate is how Apple has continually changed their ideas on presale of devices. I think they've had a different plan for every product launch in the last five years. Sometimes presale, sometimes not. Sometimes instore pickup, sometimes not. They've even had a Sega Saturn style "its out now!" hardware launch, haven't they? For some Macbook?

AngryMoth

Hmm UK price for the base mini is a lot better than I expected. It does enrage me though how much they charge for additional memory. 32gb mini and 16gb air are the same price at £399 and 16gb mini is £319. I actually have no idea which one I want out of those 3.

Do you want/need the boost in CPU performance? It's not a whole lot (10% extra performance in turbo) and extra frequency does cost a bit of battery under load.

Clockspeed differences are much larger here so the differences won't be as big. "i7" and "i5" are brand names and is just a vague way of differentiating the CPUs. The cores are exactly the same. Note that small laptops have dual core i7s while my desktop has a quad core i5.

I'm just using it for browsing, media and may be one or two games on STEAM. Mostly browsing and media.

You saying upgrading from the i7 2.0GHz to i7 2.3GHz will decrease my battery life?

I'm only looking into it because the price for the boost is $90 which isn't a whole lot.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is there anything comparable to Safari? Smooth web browsing is make or break.

Chrome runs fine for me, but you have a myriad of choices if you want something else. Both Firefox and Opera have versions on Android. Plus there are some other Android focused browsers like Next, Dolphin, and Boat.

That being said I browse GAF all the time on Chrome (beta channel) on my N7. I've had no qualms. This isn't 2010 Android browsing which totally sucked ass.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The A7 performance isn't unmatched in any other devices, though.

But not that much thanks to the iPad 2 price, though.

Doubtful. Pretty sure I'll be able to get the same price for it, given the absurd iPad 2 pricing.

good points. What are you expecting to get for something like a 32GB ipad 3? going rate in the UK seems to be around £300, so a little less than the ipad 2 16GB (£329)

I'll repeat what I said in another, probably inappropriate, thread:

Apple needs a new product line. The iPad air seems like a pretty good revision, but they're losing the excitement halo that they once had as a brand. Their hardware is starting to blend in with their competition more and more, and that has more to do with the buzz surrounding new products than how advance or different their products were from similar offerings.

If they don't find a way to bring out an exciting and new product line, I think Apple is going to find itself in a low margin game with its competitors.

Hmm UK price for the base mini is a lot better than I expected. It does enrage me though how much they charge for additional memory. 32gb mini and 16gb air are the same price at £399 and 16gb mini is £319. I actually have no idea which one I want out of those 3.
It wasn't ever that good a price, compared to the Nexus 7. They've now increased the price by £50. And it has got thicker and heavier. The fullsize iPad, on the other hand, has received its most dramatic redesign since the iPad 1, and crucially they've got it below 500g. And yet it's the same price as before.

Apple have made this decision very easy. iPad Air is the much better buy.

agidot

Just bought MB air yesterday, MBP is too heavy and no flash storage, rMBP is too expensive for me. I dont care for a minor spec bump but I'll kill myself if apple lower the rMBP today.
Quoting myself before the conference. I think the new 13 rMBP is quite a deal, $200 more for a better cpu + screen but I'll live (No 14 days return policy in my country).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom