• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone SE |OT| A Dazzling Display of Common Sense (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will this be difficult to get if I just go into an AT&T store on the 31st? Need to upgrade from the 5 I've been using. Battery can't last more then 30min from full charge

Frodo

For you guys that have been using a large phone for a while and are going back to a small one, you might want to prepare yourself for a very possible shock to find out a smaller screen being close to unusable (okay, I'm exaggerating a bit) in some situations. It is one of those things that, in my case, my memories of it were actually better than they really were in first place.

I suppose you will get used to it eventually, but I find it very hard to go back to smaller screens now.

For you guys that have been using a large phone for a while and are going back to a small one, you might want to prepare yourself for a very possible shock to find out a smaller screen being close to unusable (okay, I'm exaggerating a bit) in some situations. It is one of those things that, in my case, my memories of it were actually better than they really were in first place.

I suppose you will get used to it eventually, but I find it very hard to go back to smaller screens now.

I have a 6S for my personal stuff and a 5S for work. I've never had any issue going back and forth. I don't watch much media on my phones though.

Hmmm I'll be up for a new phone in the fall. My issue is that I would be going from the 5.2 inch Moto X to the 4 inch iPhone. I used to do reading on my phone that I do on my iPad now so it's not a super big deal anymore besides general usability. Could anyone who has made a transition like this give some anecdotes? I've always had the bigger phones. My smallest smartphone was the Galaxy Nexus at 4.7 inches. Probably something I would just get used to overtime.

Edit:

Didn't even see this post, thanks!

Like an under the table sale of my Apple upgrade contract? Technically right now I don't own the phone, so isn't that illegal? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

It's a phone you've bought with a loan. There will most certainly be a lien on the phone making any sale of the phone without the lender's permission VERY illegal.

mcfrank

My wife, who has never been particularly excited for new phones, is very excited to get this. She hates her 6 because it doesn't fit in her pockets.

Definitely buying this when my iPhone 5 bites the dust.

I'm really happy Apple decided to build a smaller iPhone again, because I always feared the moment my current iPhone dies. I don't have big hands and I get cramps when playing around with a iPhones larger than 4".

CHC

Literally had no idea this was a thing. Pretty nice, I love the shape of the 5s so maybe I'll grab one of these soon.

HUELEN10

WSJ review says this phone lasts two hours longer than the 6s. Bastards.
Didn't I tell you? Best handset Cupertino's ever made.

Worthy of being called iPhone 10th anniversary edition.

Wait a minute... Does SE stand for Special Edition?

dity

Literally had no idea this was a thing. Pretty nice, I love the shape of the 5s so maybe I'll grab one of these soon.
My partner's the same. She doesn't like how you hold bigger phones and has hung into her 5 for ages.

Kiraly

The front cam is actually from an iPhone 5, which is absolutely ridiculous from Apple. The 5 will be near four years old by now.

mf.luder

If it had 3D Touch and faster Touch ID I'd be all over this but looks like I might hold out for the 7.

We'll see how it feels in person, I might change my mind.

HUELEN10

If it had 3D Touch and faster Touch ID I'd be all over this but looks like I might hold out for the 7.

We'll see how it feels in person, I might change my mind.

Someone actually brought that up, seeing how it feels in the hand. I went to the Apple Store and toyed around with the 5S (I had a 5, so I never used Touch ID on a 4-incher period) for like a good 20 minutes, using it as I would, with the accessibility options I use on it (no motion, no parallax, bold text). Then I picked around with the case I bought.

Feels great in the hand, and even though the screen real estate is obviously smaller than the 6, it still gets the job done with little to no compromise, at least for my workflow. If you are on the fence, I'd suggest going to the Apple Store to dick around with the 5S. most other stores don't have 5S demo units nowadays.

HUELEN10

How do I do I store pickup rather than delivery to my house on the Apple Store app? It said available for pickup at the retail store on the 31st, but just gives me a delivery option.

From what I've been seeing on MacRumors, /g/ ∞chan's /g/, and 9to5mac, like no one has been able to select store pickup. I really wanted to be there on launch day, but since this is the first time Cupertino has made a phone like this, we truly don't know how BIG it will be in the public eye. Not that it matters, this phone was made just for me. :3

I was genuinely interested in this phone hoping that Apple would release a low priced iPhone. The 16GB option is an non-starter, and I can get a much better phone on contract compared to the 64GB version.

HUELEN10

Yeah, I used to have a Z3c so I get that smaller/lower res screens are huge battery savers. But even by those standards, this battery is insanely small.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/iphone-...r-with-better-battery-life-to-boot-1458762252

The standout news is battery life. Unlike many other recent Apple products, the iPhone SE’s is a significant improvement over its predecessors’. In my lab stress test, which cycles through websites with uniform screen brightness, the SE lasted 10 hours—more than two hours longer than both the iPhone 6s and iPhone 5s, and nearly three hours longer than the Galaxy S7.

Best iPhone ever? Best iPhone ever.

Seriously, watch the video review from WSJ.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is definitely going to be the best performing iPhone in terms of gaming, isn't it? Same internals as the 6S with an even lower resolution.

I can't go back to that screen size after getting used to the 6 Plus and now the 6S Plus, but I must admit this is a very appealing device.

HUELEN10

This is definitely going to be the best performing iPhone in terms of gaming, isn't it? Same internals as the 6S with an even lower resolution.

I can't go back to that screen size after getting used to the 6 Plus and now the 6S Plus, but I must admit this is a very appealing device.
I'm gonna say it now... with one of those 10 USD shells posted easier, THIS will be my GBA replacement.

HUELEN10

Cupertino's reinventing the cellphone in the fall, wouldn't bother much with this release.

This isn't a phone for everyone. Usually I stick with my cycle, but I did the math and it works out for me to switch. Everyone has a different situation and needs, so YMMV.

That being said, if you have a 6 or below and love small phones, this is a no-brainer.

nubbe

best performing smartphone overall
our nextgen handheld has cometh

jax

Banned
Cupertino's reinventing the cellphone in the fall, wouldn't bother much with this release.
the leak just looks like an iPhone 6. It will still be too big, lack an AUX cable, have huge bezels, "reinventing the cellphone" just copying android again yaaaawn.

Big screens are useless without multitasking, something iOS currently can't do. If they fix that, that'll be something to keep an eye on.

I don't see why so many people care about what phone people want. Lol. The driveby shitposts are hilarious. I ordered my SE last night, I think it's going to be an awesome phone.

jax

Banned
It's a phone you've bought with a loan. There will most certainly be a lien on the phone making any sale of the phone without the lender's permission VERY illegal.
As long as you pay the phone off, I don't see what is illegal about this. Is that covered in the terms and conditions?

Really? Do elaborate on what you can't do on an SE screen that you can do on a 6S. (Besides selfie quality which doesn't matter in the slightest)

Big screens are useless without multitasking, something iOS currently can't do. If they fix that, that'll be something to keep an eye on.

Split-screen and picture-in-picture is what saved the iPad as a platform for me. I was getting kind of bored of iPads until multitasking features were introduced in iOS9. It saved the platform from being just oversized iPhones.

And right now, bigger iPhones to me just feel like more cumbersome, more awkward iPhones. If they introduce split-screen/PiP modes to the iPhone 7+ I might take a second look and reconsider, but until then the bigger iPhones just don't seem to offer anything truly interesting over smaller ones.

LittleWask

Neo Member
Just got my 64GB gold model pre-ordered through Sprint. Also hopped on Amazon and bought that MOGA controller for twelve bucks, before they realize what's up and put it back at $100. The revolution is coming, friends!

Heads up for any Sprint users, though. I went on Sprint.com and they were only offering the phone in installment payments. I could not get a two year contract subsidy. I called Sprint, and they said that they can't do a contract for this phone, and that I can only do the installment payments. After some negotiations with them (it helps that I've been with them for 11 years now) they eventually agreed to give me the phone for $50 with a two year contract, and no plan change (I have an old unlimited data plan).

If you're a Sprint user trying to get this phone, don't accept their first offer. Make them work for your business! And remember, it's Sprint; they need you more than you need them!

ElFly

Small phones make me sad.

Wish they had kept pushing the boundaries in screen size so we eventually get to the 7" phone which is prolly the practical upper limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom