• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

There is supposed to be a playlist called 'Discovery Mix'. After the WWDC keynote Macworld discribed it like this: "the streaming service is adding a Discovery Mix to the top of the list. That playlist is designed to take on Spotify’s popular Discover Weekly feature, a totally personalized playlist that refreshes every week."

I imagine that they just haven't flipped the switch on it yet.

Oh thank god

Ashhong

it does. I'm looking at one of my daughter's shared playlists right now and it says "Updated 4 days ago"

wut, is this new? didnt do that before, need to test it out now

i also wish we could share Smart Playlists, but beggars can't be choosers

Shepard

Is there an easy way to automatically make my music available offline? You can do that in basically any other streaming sevice in the history of ever, but I can't find the option in the android app.

Ashhong

Is there an easy way to automatically make my music available offline? You can do that in basically any other streaming sevice in the history of ever, but I can't find the option in the android app.

You want every singlE sing that you add from online to be made available offline?

Shepard

You want every singlE sing that you add from online to be made available offline?

Every song that I add to 'my music', yes. You can do that in every other app, it's a basic feature that I really hope they add after the revision. I really dont know how they still dont give you an option.

Ashhong

Every song that I add to 'my music', yes. You can do that in every other app, it's a basic feature that I really hope they add after the revision. I really dont know how they still dont give you an option.

Weird, it's an option on iOS at least. An alternative is to add your music to a playlist and have the playlist to be automatic downloads

Shepard

Weird, it's an option on iOS at least. An alternative is to add your music to a playlist and have the playlist to be automatic downloads

The problem is you have to add every music to that playlist, any time you add new songs. Google Play Music has an automatic "Last added" playlist that does that job for you, so a similar one in AM would be great.

Ashhong

How do you download everything on iOS, past and future?

Not sure about past...but in the settings for Music there is an option for automatic downloads. I personally don't use it so I can't vouch for it but I imagine it should work?

As I explain below, you could make a Smart Playlist to add all of your previously/future added music to one playlist, and then set that playlist to download on your phone or any device.

The problem is you have to add every music to that playlist, any time you add new songs. Google Play Music has an automatic "Last added" playlist that does that job for you, so a similar one in AM would be great.

Yea, I'm not sure why it's not there for Android. If you don't mind installing iTunes, you can do that in 30 seconds. Make a Smart Playlist and set the rules to add basically any new music to that playlist. Then just set that playlist to download on your phone.

I do this for different reasons and it's great. I have one for all EDM music that I add, and then one for all EDM music that I add/Love and call it a favorites. Repeat for other genres. It's awesome and really convenient.

Shepard

Yea, I'm not sure why it's not there for Android. If you don't mind installing iTunes, you can do that in 30 seconds. Make a Smart Playlist and set the rules to add basically any new music to that playlist. Then just set that playlist to download on your phone.

I do this for different reasons and it's great. I have one for all EDM music that I add, and then one for all EDM music that I add/Love and call it a favorites. Repeat for other genres. It's awesome and really convenient.

Do you know how long I've been searching for this? You are a God. Did this and it actually worked just as well as Google Play Music. Thanks a lot! :D

I set the rule Type of Media is -> Music (direct translation from portuguese, might be a bit dif in English).

CraigMcD

If you have access to iTunes on a PC/Mac, create a Smart Playlist with the only rule being "Media Kind" being "Music". It should then appear on your iPhone/iPad where you can then download the playlist. New songs should be downloaded automatically.

If you have access to iTunes on a PC/Mac, create a Smart Playlist with the only rule being "Media Kind" being "Music". It should then appear on your iPhone/iPad where you can then download the playlist. New songs should be downloaded automatically.

I was about to do this, but then I saw that my total library would be around 63GB of music

Gonna have to wait until my 128GB iPhone 7

So i just lost all the music on my iphone. Basically just started using apple music
wanted music from my computer . Wouldnt sync. Turned icloud sych off it took off eveything instead of just the apple music stuff. And my music still wont sych

I'm on the Beta ios10 too but im gonna go back to my old back up. Im not dealing with this.. i need my music.

Fucking bullshit makes me want to go back to spotify after two weeks.

Edit: Now my old playlist and songs are showing up on my phone after reselecting Icloud Music, But half of the songs from my computer library they show up but cant be downloaded via phone, and still cant just add the music from my computer library WTTFFFFF

Tomodachi

AM just went back to adding to my library songs that I just add to my playlists.

EDIT: also, "pre-order" albums seem to be gone? And when I cancel something from my library it's automatically removed from all my playlists as well (but this is not a new behavior afaik).
A mess. Tempted by those 3 months of spotify for the price of 1.

slider

Thought I'd post this here.

I haven't ever had an iPhone, Mac or iPad. I've a vague recollection of an Apple account from years ago (must've been icw iTunes). But I got an email the other day saying I'd taken an Apple Music subscription from "Thomas's iPhone" charged at £49.99.

I'm going to keep an eye on my debit/credit card charges (but, again, Apple won't have charging instructions from me!).

Just wanted to say that the email is pretty damn convincing. There's a link in it to "cancel and manage subscriptions" which I obviously won't click but damn.

Moozo

I haven't ever had an iPhone, Mac or iPad. I've a vague recollection of an Apple account from years ago (must've been icw iTunes). But I got an email the other day saying I'd taken an Apple Music subscription from "Thomas's iPhone" charged at £49.99.

I'm going to keep an eye on my debit/credit card charges (but, again, Apple won't have charging instructions from me!).

Just wanted to say that the email is pretty damn convincing. There's a link in it to "cancel and manage subscriptions" which I obviously won't click but damn.

Apple-style phishing emails are definitely the most convincing

slider

Apple-style phishing emails are definitely the most convincing

You're not wrong! The most conspicuous thing to my mind was the lack of an Apple logo in the mail content.

I realise now that folk posting in this thread likely won't need this warning though.

Cheers.

If you're at all able to follow the instructions at the bottom of this page to forward it to Apple, it might be helpful

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204759

The Apple version of 'Discover Weekly' just started appearing in my For You. It's called 'My New Music Mix' and they say it will be updated every Friday.

Mine is 25 songs and 89 minutes long.

The Apple version of 'Discover Weekly' just started appearing in my For You. It's called 'My New Music Mix' and they say it will be updated every Friday.

Mine is 25 songs and 89 minutes long.

I see "My New Music Mix" and "My Favorites Mix", one based around stuff you may not know no one based around what it thinks is your favorite stuff, with maybe a mix of stuff from your most listened-to artists. The actual detection seems to be bugged (a lot of songs are already in my library but it doesn't seem to think they are) but I'm pretty excited to play around with these things

jts

...hate me...
Should be in your "For You" section right at the top
It's not for me, could be just a local Apple Music thing not available yet in my country :p

Just shows some indie selection, followed by some Calvin Harris selection, followed by some more indies, then square tiles begin, and it goes on and on...

But if you share a link, I can see if it opens here :)

It's not for me, could be just a local Apple Music thing not available yet in my country :p

Just shows some indie selection, followed by some Calvin Harris selection, followed by some more indies, then square tiles begin, and it goes on and on...

But if you share a link, I can see if it opens here :)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/my-new-music-mix/idpl.pm-20e9f373919da080e93a53e02d81f6a7

I wonder how that looks, since it's supposed to be my personal list. Any personal information in it at all?

number11

Yep, my playlists are live too.

Anyone else having problems downloading tracks locally? This has been happening since the latest beta update.

giga

They should copy Spotify's release radar playlist as well, which shows new songs from your saved artists every Friday.

I didn't notice the My Favorites Mix when I posted last night, but I just looked at it and it is entirely comprised of songs that I have in my library.

They should copy Spotify's release radar playlist as well, which shows new songs from your saved artists every Friday.

I agree

I didn't notice the My Favorites Mix when I posted last night, but I just looked at it and it is entirely comprised of songs that I have in my library.

I think that's partially the point. Make a playlist of stuff you've listened to a lot, or related to stuff you've listened to a lot

I agree

I think that's partially the point. Make a playlist of stuff you've listened to a lot, or related to stuff you've listened to a lot

I would understand it if it was a playlist of songs by bands that I listen to a lot, but as of now it literally looks just like the top 25 played songs playlist that has existed in iTunes for years.

Also I know it could get better over time as I listen to more music, but currently it doesn't seem terribly useful.

number11

Lol.. For some reason my favourites playlist is full of 90s R&B, something I don't even think I listen to that much

I haven't uploaded tracks ever since Apple Music made a mess out of my library on day 1, but the matching algorithm seems to be doing a much better job.

Changing the region in iTunes to fit my new residency location (US) has removed my entire Apple Music Library....

2ahwCyE.gif

What's the fix to that from what I have read if I change the region back to Germany it will be back, but I would like to just have access to my library with the new correct location...
P.s. I cannot change my country because I am part of my wife's Apple Family (in the US....)

Lol.. For some reason my favourites playlist is full of 90s R&B, something I don't even think I listen to that much

I haven't uploaded tracks ever since Apple Music made a mess out of my library on day 1, but the matching algorithm seems to be doing a much better job.

Apparently they changed the matching algorithm from some simple metadata thing to sonic fingerprints (like iTunes match). They started the change around late Juky and should be rolled out to everyone by October

http://9to5mac.com/2016/07/18/apple-rolling-out-more-accurate-song-matching-algorithm-to-apple-music-subscribers-identical-to-itunes-match/

I've been going on a big Loving spree, hopefully that will help narrow down what shows up in my For You. I should also be more liberally using the Dislike option but I'm afraid to. I was afraid of doing it on Pandora as well. I just don't like the idea of closing off potential music I'll love because it shares qualities with the song I don't like

Ashhong

It's all algorithm based so hopefully it gets better as it goes on. Mine is pretty good, don't have 90% of it in my library.

Top Bottom