• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

I like the desktop update for iTunes, some of the ideas are good like the For You section having Connect be a link. It's functional but not very fast on my Windows PC. It definitely is easier to wrap my head around (right clicking before on artist would only send you to the artist page on iTunes, not Apple Music).

The Favorites and New Music mixes have been pretty good so far but it's just been two weeks. Spotify's was good until a few months passed then it seems to turn into mostly junk, lol.

Ashhong

Ok, I found that holding control and scrolling can adjust the zoom. But even the lowest setting is still zoomed in. When I go into a playlist the text just runs off of the screen and I can't even scroll to see the Album column, let alone the duration, etc.

The hell is going on :/

Ok, I found that holding control and scrolling can adjust the zoom. But even the lowest setting is still zoomed in. When I go into a playlist the text just runs off of the screen and I can't even scroll to see the Album column, let alone the duration, etc.

The hell is going on :/

You are not alone. i use iTunes here at work (Windows) and the update completely ruined it for me. iTunes has always been bad, but this just made it worse.

Been using my phone all day to listen instead of the desktop.

Ashhong

You are not alone. i use iTunes here at work (Windows) and the update completely ruined it for me. iTunes has always been bad, but this just made it worse.

I actually like iTunes. Never had a problem. The program itself is fine. There just seems to be some kind of glitch going on affecting the zoom of it.

Notice how the writing isn't in the center. That can't be right.

Hmj4Xdc.png

And even when I unzoom everything, it just makes everything smaller but keeps the layout. Notice no scrollbars.

Also notice how distorted the font is. It's kind of like iTunes is displaying in some lower 800x600 resolution or something when my actual monitor is 1080p. It doesn't happen in the Library parts, only in For You, Browse, Radio, iTunes Store.....weird.

Yeah the new desktop upgrade is god-awful. Bloated beyond belief. I can barely get it to load and it takes forever for a song to start up. I was really hoping that this new upgrade would solve some of my issues but it's worse. I'm about done with this shit for $10 a month.

Yup I use windows at work and iTunes is fucking god awful. If you have a high dpi display and use any type of scaling you're basically fucked with iTunes. I also get that zoomed issue and if I even try to zoom out the scroll bars are basically gone and none of the buttons seem to work.

I'm seriously thinking of going back to Spotify. Add on to the fact that there's no web player, iOS 10 interface sucks, and it even feels laggy on my 6+.... ugh.

I used to think the Spotify app was bad but with the tabbed layout it actually feels quicker to get to where I want compared to the music app.

CraigMcD

I actually like iTunes. Never had a problem. The program itself is fine. There just seems to be some kind of glitch going on affecting the zoom of it.

Notice how the writing isn't in the center. That can't be right.

And even when I unzoom everything, it just makes everything smaller but keeps the layout. Notice no scrollbars.

Also notice how distorted the font is. It's kind of like iTunes is displaying in some lower 800x600 resolution or something when my actual monitor is 1080p. It doesn't happen in the Library parts, only in For You, Browse, Radio, iTunes Store.....weird.

The size of the menu text makes me think that you've changed your text size in Windows itself and it's something Apple hasn't accounted for within iTunes.

Ashhong

The size of the menu text makes me think that you've changed your text size in Windows itself and it's something Apple hasn't accounted for within iTunes.

Nope I haven't touched it. The text setting is still at 125%, which is the default and what it's always been. It's very weird and makes it unusable. Not only is the text ugly but the actual click area is not correct. Clicking on the text does nothing. Clicking to the left, where the text should be, does. 😑

CraigMcD

Nope I haven't touched it. The text setting is still at 125%, which is the default and what it's always been. It's very weird and makes it unusable. Not only is the text ugly but the actual click area is not correct. Clicking on the text does nothing. Clicking to the left, where the text should be, does. 😑

The default is 100%. It could be a new bug, as Apple are usually pretty good about supporting accessibility options.

Now I'm having another issue with Apple Music. ALL Apple Music links are opening in iTunes app on my iPhone. Yet somehow on my iPad they open in the music app. Ugh.

Yup I use windows at work and iTunes is fucking god awful. If you have a high dpi display and use any type of scaling you're basically fucked with iTunes. I also get that zoomed issue and if I even try to zoom out the scroll bars are basically gone and none of the buttons seem to work.

I would blame Microsoft more than Apple for Windows' DPI scaling problems. It's pathetic that it's still an issue in 2016.

giga

Tbh if I was a windows user I prob wouldn't even use Apple Music until the new dedicated desktop apps come out. They could easily make a W10 app.

Ashhong

The default is 100%. It could be a new bug, as Apple are usually pretty good about supporting accessibility options.

Is it? On my laptop it's 125, the middle option. The problem is that I didn't have this issue on old iTunes. It's this new update that broke shit. I guess I'll just add music from my phone and listen when it gets synced on the pc. Not too big of a deal

DOWN

Banned
Is there no way to view song history in Music anymore? Scrolling up in the Up Next list used to show a long list of song's previously played.

It's different than recently played in that it goes back a hundred or more songs

Number45

Is there no way to view song history in Music anymore? Scrolling up in the Up Next list used to show a long list of song's previously played.

It's different than recently played in that it goes back a hundred or more songs
Yup, I'm missing this too. Used to use it to go back to recently listened to tracks and love/dislike them.

Ashhong

So my music is starting to be Matched now and it's awesome! I have to fix some old songs that got fucked up which is a pain but I can finally upload all of my custom edits without iTunes thinking it's the original. It also matches your own songs with their entire iTunes collection it looks like. Even songs not available on Apple Music are being "Matched". Love it!

Also I changed my DPI to 100% and iTunes is fixed, but everything is too small now. I have to change it back to 125 and deal with shitty iTunes scaling. I really hope they fix that.

neshcom

Banned
Also I changed my DPI to 100% and iTunes is fixed, but everything is too small now. I have to change it back to 125 and deal with shitty iTunes scaling. I really hope they fix that.

I don't think app-makers have shown any interest in accommodating Windows DPI scaling, unfortunately. Maybe if iTunes gets any sort of major overhaul, but that alone seems unlikely.

Ashhong

I don't think app-makers have shown any interest in accommodating Windows DPI scaling, unfortunately. Maybe if iTunes gets any sort of major overhaul, but that alone seems unlikely.

It's just weird becuase I swear that the iTunes version from 2 weeks ago was fine. Oh well. I can't even do app specific DPI scaling for whatever reason, maybe because it's a work laptop.

Ashhong

There's no word on Android's version of Apple Music receiving these new features yet, is there?

You mean like the Discover playlists or the layout? The only new feature really are the new weekly playlists. If you wanted those you could always use iTunes on your PC, add the playlist every week to a playlist and that should sync up. But no, I haven't read anything about an Android update.

Spent an hour with customer support and they can't tell me why the new mix and favorites playlist isn't showing up for me. Nothing but problems with Apple Music, seriously.

KtSlime

Android version is probably the best version at the moment. Ledgable text, more than 3 items in the top searches, and played music history.

Consider yourselves lucky Apple hasn't 'upgraded' Apple Music for you.

Ashhong

Having to switch to the music app if I want to rate/share a song is fucking infuriating.

In other news, liking this playlist:

Listen to A Gothic Halloween by Apple Music Rock on @AppleMusic.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/playlist/a-gothic-halloween/idpl.89d25b3fa29d4fd78b343929a43a8a92

Yea, they really need to bring back the love button at the very least.

You can share straight from the keyboard if you are talking about the iMessages app. Don't remember how you could share in the past without hitting the app

Can someone test something? Using the new iTunes, sort any playlist by artist, or album or whatever. Does it update on your phone? I swear previously it did. However now it only syncs to my iPhone if I sort by "Playlist Order" and then arrange the songs manually.

Number45

You can share straight from the keyboard if you are talking about the iMessages app. Don't remember how you could share in the past without hitting the app
I don't think it was there before, but there's so much room on the new Control Centre screens a share button for the now playing track would be great.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
removing Like, Add, and Share from the lock screen is arbitrary, obtuse and frustrating. they need to put it back.

Fortunately I can still Like and Add from Watch...

Ashhong

I don't think it was there before, but there's so much room on the new Control Centre screens a share button for the now playing track would be great.

Many features on the CC should be added. I absolutely hate how empty it is. And that damn night shift button is such a waste of space.

It's insane how much the Music app on iOS 10 completely fucks up my phone. It literally feels like it's sapping all the ram on my shitty 6+.

Hoping Nightshift is a placeholder for the eventual Dark Mode toggle.

And yeah, I need that Love/Dislike option to be easier to access: Control Center, Lock Screen, within the playback. They emphasize so much about how well the stuff tailors to your taste but then they bury it in the 'more' menu. I just want to tap once

Seems like New Music Mix focuses exclusively on NEW stuff that has just come out that you'll like, not stuff you haven't listened to that may have come out ten years ago but will still like

Still don't have a good grasp of what goes into My Favorites Mix

Future

removing Like, Add, and Share from the lock screen is arbitrary, obtuse and frustrating. they need to put it back.

Fortunately I can still Like and Add from Watch...

I'd put removal of ratings in that category as well. Why change shit like this and make it harder to do basic shit

My current workaround in the car is Siri. You can like and give star ratings through Siri still while the phone is locked

Ashhong

Seems like New Music Mix focuses exclusively on NEW stuff that has just come out that you'll like, not stuff you haven't listened to that may have come out ten years ago but will still like

Still don't have a good grasp of what goes into My Favorites Mix

It's what it says, your favorites. Seems like it takes the genres you listen to and artists and makes it based on that. Did it pretty well this week too. Made a nice rap playlist

It's what it says, your favorites. Seems like it takes the genres you listen to and artists and makes it based on that. Did it pretty well this week too. Made a nice rap playlist

I mean, it's not strictly my favorites. The vast majority of the songs on my list every week I haven't heard. They're related to the artists/albums I've listened to, but not those songs specifically

Tomodachi

I mean, it's not strictly my favorites. The vast majority of the songs on my list every week I haven't heard. They're related to the artists/albums I've listened to, but not those songs specifically
I think it's a mix of songs you liked in the past and songs you might like based on those likes, but to be honest for me it picked a vast majority of tracks I did listen in the past.

The new music mix is awesome (basically "strictly just released music you might like") and better than the Spotify counterpart imo (Discover weekly), but that might be because I use Apple Music way more than Spotify.

Eklesp

The new music mix is awesome (basically "strictly just released music you might like") and better than the Spotify counterpart imo (Discover weekly), but that might be because I use Apple Music way more than Spotify.

Mine have been pretty great. Still need notifications of new albums from artists you follow, but discovery works pretty well as an alternative.

thegoosen

Neo Member
Half of the music in my tracklists don't show up on iTunes, while everything seems to be fine in the music app on my iPhone. I don't understand.

Moozo

The Favourites Mix is actually really cool. Put it on in my car every week and it's basically just a nice change but still consisting off stuff I like that perhaps haven't listened to in a while.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The Favourites Mix is actually really cool. Put it on in my car every week and it's basically just a nice change but still consisting off stuff I like that perhaps haven't listened to in a while.

biggest gripe about favorites (I know, not apple's fault)

from iTunes Match's inception up to Apple Music last year, my family shared my login (for Match capabilities) for their music apps. NOW my favorites is a mix of genuinely my favorites (probably most hits), combined with THEIR favorites.. in the case of my wife.. it's annoying, but constant/stable. Adele pops up here, Ryan Adams pops up there.

but for my daughter.........oh man...... She is now 15, so connected to my Apple ID for music probably around 11 or so.. so I basically have her musical growth from 11 (very very bubblegum) to now (actually not bad), and every transition in between.

I am not going to wipe everything out, because of course that would wipe out my actual tastes and habits.. just hoping that like when Netflix introduced profiles.. eventually my account will normalize to my actual habits. The worrisome part is apple recently talked about favorites and that they are going back through "years" of data... oh man..... damn..

great feature... LOVE it. just happens to be screwing me over a little bit also.. and I'm not sure if I can actually fix it.

edit - oh, and apple also thinks I like 80s pop and various metal WAY more than I actually do.. that is to say I DO like those.. but not quite as much as apple believes I do... or maybe they are just rotating that stuff in and out at intervals.

neshcom

Banned
biggest gripe about favorites (I know, not apple's fault)

from iTunes Match's inception up to Apple Music last year, my family shared my login (for Match capabilities) for their music apps. NOW my favorites is a mix of genuinely my favorites (probably most hits), combined with THEIR favorites.. in the case of my wife.. it's annoying, but constant/stable. Adele pops up here, Ryan Adams pops up there.

but for my daughter.........oh man...... She is now 15, so connected to my Apple ID for music probably around 11 or so.. so I basically have her musical growth from 11 (very very bubblegum) to now (actually not bad), and every transition in between.

I am not going to wipe everything out, because of course that would wipe out my actual tastes and habits.. just hoping that like when Netflix introduced profiles.. eventually my account will normalize to my actual habits. The worrisome part is apple recently talked about favorites and that they are going back through "years" of data... oh man..... damn..

great feature... LOVE it. just happens to be screwing me over a little bit also.. and I'm not sure if I can actually fix it.

edit - oh, and apple also thinks I like 80s pop and various metal WAY more than I actually do.. that is to say I DO like those.. but not quite as much as apple believes I do... or maybe they are just rotating that stuff in and out at intervals.
Is there a reason you haven't just switched to Family Sharing? You can also go into their songs (assuming they're on your login) and dislike them.

Top Bottom