• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

I went to listen to some Bill Callahan (aka Smog) today, and discovered Apple Music has none of his albums. Then I realized that no albums on the Drag City label are on Apple Music. Really disappointing. Not Apple's fault I guess, but if I pay a subscription I expect to find ALL the music when I have a craving for something. When a search comes up empty, it feels like when Siri fails.

Which brings me to a larger realization – record labels basically don't exist as an entity on Apple Music. Maybe I'm just old, but I always considered indie labels as curators. If something was on Drag City or Stones Throw for instance, I knew it was worth a listen. I'd love to see record labels have areas on Apple Music.

I also wish we had liner notes and album credits available. Apple Music often feels like it was designed by people who aren't actually very passionate about music.

I mean.... I get what they were/are going for.. and honestly I don't know the answer. Basically it's potentially confusing for Star and Heart to exist together.. But only some people actually care about a five-star rating, while only some others are fine with a binary (well, actually trinary) rating system. I guess this way people can use whatever they want.. just curious how Apple Music's "we know what you like!!!" uses both systems..

The problem is the star system represents true ratings, while the heart system is (from what I can tell) only used by Apple to suggest more music like that. But the Beats design team shoved it in there without addressing ratings, so now we have this awful frankenstein mix of systems, with the Apple Music team trying to get rid of stars and getting blowback because people like me have been rating songs in iTunes for over 10 years.

The heart system has been useless to me. On the other hand, the star system is absolutely crucial to how I organize/filter my music and create playlists. It's very personal to me, whereas Apple Music feels very impersonal despite the For You tab.

it's pretty good, had to unfollow a lot of artists in that app as it added a lot of crap to the feed. I did learn there's a Flaming Lips and Spiritualized album next year.

I unchecked all the boxes save for digital download. I don't need to know when vinyl is coming out! It solved a lot of clutter

j-wood

I'm having a super annoying issue.

When I go to edit an existing playlist, I'm trying to reorder songs. It lets me move them around. When I click done, it just resets the list to the original order. This is my first iPhone, so I'm trying Apple Music first, am I just doing something wrong here?

j-wood

When I go to edit an existing playlist, I'm trying to reorder songs. It lets me move them around. When I click done, it just resets the list to the original order. This is my first iPhone, so I'm trying Apple Music first, am I just doing something wrong here?

Eklesp

I noticed this as well. Even created a new playlist from my phone, song order cannot be changed. Doing the same from iTunes works, but not from Apple Music on iOS.

holygeesus

Banned
Used to be a setting in iTunes. Check the get info menu on a song

It's doing it too in iTunes on my Mac, so it *might* be a problem with the album (Sasha & John Digweed - Renaissance) but I don't see any option in either iOS or macOS for gap-less playback to be enabled or disabled anyway.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
No issues with gapless on the few albums I spot checked. AFAIK gapless used to be an option because, oddly enough, it required some processing power an MP3 players. However gapless hasn't been an option (or needed to be one, more correctly) for years. All modern players buffer ahead past the next song.

holygeesus

Banned
No issues with gapless on the few albums I spot checked. AFAIK gapless used to be an option because, oddly enough, it required some processing power an MP3 players. However gapless hasn't been an option (or needed to be one, more correctly) for years. All modern players buffer ahead past the next song.

I don't want to be a pain, but could you try the album I mention when you get the chance?

Ashhong

It's doing it too in iTunes on my Mac, so it *might* be a problem with the album (Sasha & John Digweed - Renaissance) but I don't see any option in either iOS or macOS for gap-less playback to be enabled or disabled anyway.

Are you streaming it off Apple Music? Have you downloaded the songs? Do you have issues with other albums?

holygeesus

Banned
It was just that album. How bizarre. Saying that, I haven't tried any other 'mix' albums, as they seem rare and far between on AM, but albums where tracks run into the next play seamlessly.

cakefoo

Is there a way to add a song to an existing playlist via Siri?

A tip I just discovered: it can take 5-10 minutes after creating a playlist before you can ask Siri to play it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
dang it.. forgot to update my watch. posting that in here because I have the MOST annoying bug on my watch.. when I tell siri to play a song after the current song.. she says she will, but NEVER does, ever. siri through my phone does it perfectly.. but through my watch she says "ok, I'll play blah blah blah next" and then it never gets added.

j-wood

So i'm still having this issue. Anyone know of a way to fix? 10.2 did not fix it.

Bumhead

Banned
I keep getting an error where it says songs and entire albums are no longer available when I'm attempting to play them.

If I remove and search for them again, those songs and albums ARE still on Apple Music, but I have to remove the one I already have and re-add.

Super annoying, actually considering switching to Spotify because of it. Why is that happening?

I keep getting an error where it says songs and entire albums are no longer available when I'm attempting to play them.

If I remove and search for them again, those songs and albums ARE still on Apple Music, but I have to remove the one I already have and re-add.

Super annoying, actually considering switching to Spotify because of it. Why is that happening?

This happened to me a couple of times. From what I can tell, it seems like publishers hand off rights (to a different label now has the music) they will re-release it, identical music and everything as the old music you add which was from a previous record label gets greyed out.

It happened when Radiohead's catalog switched over to a different label, so I just removed the albums and re-added them from the catalog.

Hope this helps! Otherwise I don't think it's anything buggy except for that.

Number45

Probably not the right thread for this, but is there an iPod Nano that supports Apple Music? Wife wants something for the gym and I think the touch will be a little bigger than she wants.

Tomodachi

So i'm still having this issue. Anyone know of a way to fix? 10.2 did not fix it.
I have a similar problem, my playlists are sorted according to some criteria I really can't grasp. When I try to sort them manually some changes stick, others revert back. I just play them randomly anyway but it's annoying.

j-wood

What are you using to reorder? iPhone or iTunes?

Either. If i make a change in iTunes, sometimes it will show up that way on the phone. Other times it won't.

If i try to change the playlist order on my phone, it has the issue I talked about. It reverts back instantly, as soon as I hit done. Plays that way as well if I choose to just play the entire playlist.

I like to shuffle my playlists around alot and honestly, this has made me fire up a trial for spotify. Apple has been no help, and I reported this issue back in 10.1. I'm not the only one with the problem either.

I've seen some sites say that resetting their phone and not restoring a backup fixed it, but I'm not doing that shit. It'll take forever to set my stuff back up.

j-wood

So here is what is baffling. On my iPhone, I just went to the music app and change the order on a playlist. Moved a song from the bottom to the top.

As soon as I hit done, the list on my iphone popped back to be what it was before i made a change (the song moved back to the bottom).

But on my laptop with iTunes open, I saw the song move to the top of the playlist and stay there. WTF?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So lemme ask since I've heard about nightmare scenarios with this...

I've been a Match subscriber, and it's expiring in a week so I just bought a yearly Music subscription instead. All my cloud library is perfectly safe with Music's version of Match, right?

I've been a Match subscriber, and it's expiring in a week so I just bought a yearly Music subscription instead. All my cloud library is perfectly safe with Music's version of Match, right?

Yes, it should be. Sometime last year they made it so Apple Music uses the exact same algorithm as Match, using music DNA instead of just metadata

I would make a backup of your physical library first just in case, but your cloud library should be totally unaffected. There are four things that constitute your iCloud Music Library: iTunes purchased music, songs added from Apple Music, matched songs, and uploaded songs. Since iCloud Music Library is the same between iTunes Match and Apple Music it should be entirely unchanged

But still make a backup if possible

neshcom

Banned

If I remember right, Match's music lockers isn't DRM-free and won't spit out DRM-free versions of songs you uploaded or matched should you redownload on another device.

If I remember right, Match's music lockers isn't DRM-free and won't spit out DRM-free versions of songs you uploaded or matched should you redownload on another device.

This is also correct! As long as you keep the original file it'll be fine, but if you ever delete the local file the version you redownload will be Apple Music locked instead of a 256 AAC DRM-free file

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Eh, I'm so used to playing music only through iTunes that DRM free doesn't matter that much anymore. So I just hope the transition from Match to Music's Match is completely seamless.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is a paid Apple Music subscription the only way to have all my own tracks uploaded like with google play? For playback on my phone google play is fine, but I want to sync some music to my watch so I need the music in the official app for that.

Is a paid Apple Music subscription the only way to have all my own tracks uploaded like with google play? For playback on my phone google play is fine, but I want to sync some music to my watch so I need the music in the official app for that.

Apple Music or iTunes Match will do the trick. iTunes Match is cheaper at $25/year instead of $10/month since all it does is upload and match music instead of have the whole streaming service thing as well

That being said you don't need upload capabilities to move music from the phone to the Watch, is there some reason you need that?

i'm having issues getting smart playlists to update on my phone. I created one on my computer that has 75 songs and only 26 of those show up on my phone. Seems weird it wouldn't completely carry over.

Top Bottom