• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple orders a show about a video game studio from the ‘It’s Always Sunny’ gang

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Apple’s been on a tear lately. Say what you will about some of the company’s programming decisions (see: Carpool Karaoke), at least it’s building a portfolio that’s got a little something for everyone.

Earlier this week, word got out that it ordered a series based on Min Jin Lee’s novel, Pachinko. And according to a report in Variety, it’s also added new comedy by a couple of members of the It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia gang.

The half-hour scripted sitcom will be penned by Rob McElhenney and Charlie Day, with McElhenney taking the lead as an employee at a video game studio. Along with RCG (the pair’s production company) and Lionsgate, the show will also, fittingly, be co-produced by Ubisoft, which should add a bit of authenticity to the thing — and hopefully not too much product placement.

More at the link.

T1Db8.gif

I really hope they do this right because the gaming industry is so rife with opportunity for this kind of humor. Thanks for sharing the news!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I really hope they do this right because the gaming industry is so rife with opportunity for this kind of humor. Thanks for sharing the news!

Same here! This gang is so non-PC that I hope it does not get diluted with what is going on in today's climate, and in game develop with the likes of Kotaku, Waypoint, Polygon, etc., gearing up for attack mode.

Same here! This gang is so non-PC that I hope it does not get diluted with what is going on in today's climate, and in game develop with the likes of Kotaku, Waypoint, Polygon, etc., gearing up for attack mode.

That would be my concern too and Apple is definitely one of the PC corporations IMO. I think Apple's version of PC is more "We need to cater to everybody for the $$$" though as opposed to actual ideological PCness. UbiSoft seems like a good partnering choice in regards to studio too. I like their brand of humor shown in their games and E3 shows and such.

Hopefully they will even have regular "game journalist" side characters. I would love to see them openly mock them on a regular basis at press conference scenes and stuff like that.

Have any of the usual suspects put out any longform think pieces about how terrible this will be? Polygon could probably whip up a panel of gender studies experts to tell us what a horribly toxic idea this all is in a jiffy!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
It’s going to be so hard to not just see Mac when Rob is on screen.

Like I know all I’m going to do is think about how Mac would be handling everything that’s going on in the show.

“Of course this hero should have a bible in one hand, as God is the light that shows us the way...so write that down...and a massive flaming sword in the other.

...what? No, I don’t care that this is a word search mobile app...don’t be a bozo and make the guy. Make the guy.”

Last edited:

NewYork214

How do Apple shows work? I haven't used an Apple product or iTunes since I touch was popular, 10 years ago or so. Pay every episode or season pass or something?

Definitely interested in this show. Still mad that The Mick was cancelled. Loved that show.

Top Bottom