• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia - Season 12 |OT| Wednesdays on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm expecting s14 to be the last, but I hope the show lives on for another season or two. Chiefly because I don't want it to end but also so it can claim the longest-running US live-action sitcom crown.

Season 1 of it’s always sunny: the gang accidentally runs a gay bar

Season 11 of it’s always sunny: the gang shoots Dennis's range rover with a rocket launcher.

Oh how times have changed.

Loved this season btw, had me in stitches constantly

Dereck

And the gang has gotta write a comedy movie one of these days

I wonder whether their style could work in a movie. It'd have to be better than Charlie's acting efforts

They said that the reason behind doing a movie is to do something that they couldn't do in the show, and since they have so much freedom in the show, they don't see the point of doing a movie. Forgot which one of them said it specifically.

I can't believe Glenn just Dennis'd us. I really hope he's not leaving.

tumblr_inline_omjjgroZIp1qh4zsb_540.png

number11

Only seen the first two episodes. Based on that I was expecting this to be one of the best seasons ever.. but you guys are saying it goes downhill? Damn

Only seen the first two episodes. Based on that I was expecting this to be one of the best seasons ever.. but you guys are saying it goes downhill? Damn

no, it's one of the better seasons of this show overall. one awful episode. the rest ranging from alright to great, with a couple classics.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Weird finale. Felt like a greatest hits album in a way. Mac getting the old apartment back, Frank wanting eggs, Dee's dancing, Charlie's white trash jorts dancing and finally getting The Waitress. I enjoyed it though

Bread

Banned
Honestly wouldn't be upset if Dennis left and the show just ended, it's been running on fumes for a few seasons now.

ryseing

"Dennis is his sex name. He's my gimp."

Man, I can't believe Glenn might actually be gone. I really can't imagine an IASIP without him. I mean, good on him for getting the network pilot, but man.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
They said that the reason behind doing a movie is to do something that they couldn't do in the show, and since they have so much freedom in the show, they don't see the point of doing a movie. Forgot which one of them said it specifically.

Day said that in the first we feast hot ones challenge

barik

more like

AptActiveAmericanalligator.gif

because I love me some Patton Oswalt, and I can only imagine the comedic chemistry he'll have with Glenn, but still...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Its obvious everyone is looking to branch outside from the show. I just hope, if there is a next season, they write the final episode as a series finale with a possible hook if they're ever want to revisit it.

big ander

People saying they should end the show now or after 13—can they? They have a contract through season 14. I guess there's some scenario where McElhenny and Day also decide to be done and renege on the contract. But I don't see that happening. More likely than that would be them filming 13+14 back to back, banking a season.
Glenn's new show shouldn't be an issue for him with regards to IAS considering Kaitlin Olsen is starring in The Mick on Fox.
Glenn himself has talked about how his situation is different. Olsen just acts on Sunny—Howerton is a writer/producer. To do that he spends a ton of time actively working on the show. His show is also not on FOX—it's not a sister network, so the network might have rules for when and how long he can work on other tv projects.

ryseing

Glenn himself has talked about how his situation is different. Olsen just acts on Sunny—Howerton is a writer/producer. To do that he spends a ton of time actively working on the show. His show is also not on FOX—it's not a sister network, so the network might have rules for when and how long he can work on other tv projects.

Bingo. It's a completely different situation from Kaitlin's. Fox/FX worked around her schedule to get both shows filmed, while Glenn most likely won't have that freedom.

(I know I basically just restated what you said, but it's worth repeating).

He's a writer/producer who was credited as a co-writer on 4 episodes this season. Last season he was credited on none. He can simply step back and just be an actor in future seasons. Patton Oswalt is the narrator in an ABC show and will now be acting in an NBC show, so that shouldn't be an issue for Glenn either.

Santiako

They all have stuff going on. Dee has the mick, Charlie is in ton of movies, and Mac is about to direct the Minecraft movie. I'm sure they'll all make time for Sunny.

big ander

He's a writer/producer who was credited as a co-writer on 4 episodes this season. Last season he was credited on none. He can simply step back and just be an actor in future seasons. Patton Oswalt is the narrator in an ABC show and will now be acting in an NBC show, so that shouldn't be an issue for Glenn either.
Writing credits are not a precise indicator of how much work someone does on a show—especially for a creator and EP like Howerton. The number of writing credits he has may vary but every season starts with he, Day and McElhenney in the writer's room with the other writers breaking each episode. Even if he didn't get a writing credit in season 11, he was in the room pitching, plotting out the season, figuring out episode ideas. (And using that he was only on 4 from this season's a pretty bad example—that's a lot for a season of TV with a full writer's room.)

You're right, he could step back and just act—but he could also not be able to do that. Oswalt's again a bad example because, like you say, he's a narrator. I bet he knocks out Goldbergs episodes 8 at a time in vo sessions that take a few hours. For Howerton to act full time on both the scheduling would have to be exactly perfect, and there's no guarantee that can happen. NBC's not gonna tailor their schedule for Howerton.

None of this means Howerton's definitely off the show—the pilot is still just a pilot! I'm not at all saying he's gone for good. I'm only repeating what Howerton's said: that there's a very real possibility he won't be involved in season 13.
They all have stuff going on. Dee has the mick, Charlie is in ton of movies, and Mac is about to direct the Minecraft movie. I'm sure they'll all make time for Sunny.

We've already talked a bunch about how The Mick is totally different

Charlie's not in a ton of movies. On average he's in just over one a year, and a bunch of those are voice work. The shoot for a live-action feature can be pretty short—the standard is 20-30 working days iirc or 1-2 months. A full season of television, (especially a network-length season) takes longer. (Plus remember these are filmed far in advance. e.g. Fist Fight shot in late 2015, before even season 11 had premiered.) In any case Charlie's the biggest star of the group and since these projects are built around him he has more freedom to adjust the schedule the way he wants. Howerton won't have that.

McElhenney's schedule is complicated to talk about considering we don't know that he's about to direct the Minecraft movie—he's hired for it, and it's dated for release in 2019, but there's no news about when they're going into production. Could be this year, sure. and maybe that's why they'll go on an extended hiatus, and maybe that'll make it so Howerton and McElhenney can both work on season 13. But maybe it won't work that way! That's literally all I'm saying, and it's literally all that the people who make the show have said: that there is a distinct possibility of Howerton leaving the show and/or there being an extended hiatus between 12 and 13

UrbanRats

I liked the episode.
The backtrack on Dennis Flanderization felt weird, but was a good thing (him screaming in every episode, was getting tired last season).

Frank's Decent Proposal scene was an instant classic, best moment of the episode.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The cast has plenty of time for other projects. They do 10 episodes a year that are less than 20 minutes. And one of the episodes this season barely had them doing any new scenes. They're not shooting an hour long serial drama with 24 episode seasons. Even the writing wouldn't take that long...again...10 episode...pretty much all of them being less than 20 mins

Alpende

The cast has plenty of time for other projects. They do 10 episodes a year that are less than 20 minutes. And one of the episodes this season barely had them doing any new scenes. They're not shooting an hour long serial drama with 24 episode seasons. Even the writing wouldn't take that long...again...10 episode...pretty much all of them being less than 20 mins

Yeah, I hope Glenn has time to do Sunny. It's probably not as good without the full gang present.

Overall I thought it was a pretty cool season, plenty of great Sunny moments and some duds here and there.

Grizzlyjin

Yeah, I hope Glenn has time to do Sunny. It's probably not as good without the full gang present.

Overall I thought it was a pretty cool season, plenty of great Sunny moments and some duds here and there.

For sure. I can't really imagine the show without the full gang there. I'm not up for any Arrested Development Season 4 shenanigans.

Hello Ladies!

That's where I've seen that woman from. Been racking my brain since watching it. Finally got it!

I'd rather the show end than have one leave to be honest.

mf.luder

kinda hated how Charlie and the waitress turned out.

It did seem like it should've been given a little more screen time, build up, etc. For him to chase after her for so long and for it to end so quick was silly.

But fitting! Isn't that like women, they are sooooo emotional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom