• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia - Season 11 |OT| Wednesdays on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radec

It gets really tiresome with the hyperbole. ''Worst season, least consistent season, not good enough''. Why does that matter ? It's such a subjective way of grading something. Did you like it ? What did you like and what didn't you like. That's how it should be. Why compare it to other seasons ? Some people think S10 is the best, some think S3 some think S7 etc. There has not been a season of Sunny that I truly did not enjoy. In fact from all the episodes there have been maybe 3-4 episodes (Franks brother, S11 art episode, S10 psycho pete etc.) that I really didn't like much. Every other episode I liked. The fact that it is the most consistently good comedy show for 11 seasons is worthy of praise because there aren't many shows out there that have achieved that.

Not just with IASIP but you see this type of elitist behavior when it comes to grading stuff like you'd think we're experts on the matter when we're far from it. Why does it matter if it's the best or worst ? How does that add anything to your experience ? Isn't the only thing that matters if you liked it or not ? Shouldn't that suffice ?

Some people here also said the gang should pack it up when they saw an episode they didn't like.

They should stop watching TV instead.

UrbanRats

Gafers eventually hate everything.

I don't want to be too down on it, since 11 was weak, but still had fun moments, but another 3 seasons it's a LOT.
I would've been happy to have 1 more, epic final season, where they go all out with the characters.
3 more season likely means they won't move them forward (like they chickened out with Mac in the season finale) for another while yet.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into the Simpsons, where Bart has to be a 10 years old through the 90s, 00s, and 10s.
Having to go from Mortal Kombat to GTA to Minecraft without ever evolving and growing up.

Thankfully you can't do it with live action shows, but they need something like fat Mac in S7, i think, they need to really move the characters around.

Rembrandt

Banned
It gets really tiresome with the hyperbole. ''Worst season, least consistent season, not good enough''. Why does that matter ? It's such a subjective way of grading something. Did you like it ? What did you like and what didn't you like. That's how it should be. Why compare it to other seasons ? Some people think S10 is the best, some think S3 some think S7 etc. There has not been a season of Sunny that I truly did not enjoy. In fact from all the episodes there have been maybe 3-4 episodes (Franks brother, S11 art episode, S10 psycho pete etc.) that I really didn't like much. Every other episode I liked. The fact that it is the most consistently good comedy show for 11 seasons is worthy of praise because there aren't many shows out there that have achieved that.

Not just with IASIP but you see this type of elitist behavior when it comes to grading stuff like you'd think we're experts on the matter when we're far from it. Why does it matter if it's the best or worst ? How does that add anything to your experience ? Isn't the only thing that matters if you liked it or not ? Shouldn't that suffice ?

This was the worst season, imo, and there's nothing wrong with saying that. It was a still a great season but compared to prior ones and the quality the provided, this is a lot weaker and less memorable. It had its moments but compared to seasons that were fire emojis from beginning to end, this comes up short.

It plays into my experience because after 10 seasons you expect a certain level of quality. You have certain expectations for a show that's lasted that long. If they don't meet that expectation then it's reasonable to feel disappointed

Being disappointed doesn't mean it's bad. Everything that comes after something is going to be compared to its prior; it's just the way it is and makes logical sense.

Oberon

Banned
I've recently watched the whole show for the first time.
It might be the show I've ever watched. Some jokes had me on the laughing on the floor.
I've watched the whole show in about a week, but I surprisingle didn't get tired of it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who actually really liked the Ski Lodge episode? It was a perfect skewering of the '80s comedies I grew up watching.
it was fantastic. i think the complaints must hve been from younger generations. Dennis as the villain was amazing.

Rembrandt

Banned
it was fantastic. i think the complaints must hve been from younger generations. Dennis as the villain was amazing.

That episode was one of the highlights. I'm arguably young and still appreciated it. Don't forget South Park also referenced this shit years ago and has a much broader age spectrum than It's Always Sunny.

Rainer70

It always takes me 3-4 viewings of an episode to really love it. That includes Season 11, and that also includes Frank's Brother.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it absolutely wasn't in the same class as last season. The episode about Mac & Dennis moving to the suburbs was good, but it just didn't live up to the premise; there was a lot more they could've done with that. Loved the trial episode though!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Thats great to hear. Recently started watching this on Netflix and love it. Just watched the one where they are telling the story of the Liberty Bell.

That's the worst episode. If you enjoyed that, you'll LOVE everything else.

Some people here also said the gang should pack it up when they saw an episode they didn't like.

They should stop watching TV instead.

I agree with the idea, however this season was largely underwhelming. With each season that passes they continue to amplify the humor. Charlie's stupidity (which Mac rivals now), macs gayness (was funny when it was a "secret") frank losing his mind, and dee has been the most consistent.

On top of that a major crutch for them the past few seasons has been to rehash jokes. Its not even running jokes it's just straight up rehashing them... In fact they're redone now only poorly. The gang recycles their trash was funny but addressing its a rehash constantly doesn't resolve the issue.

Hopefully they can tone it down a bit and come up with some fresh ideas.

Ledhead

I saw on facebook that they have been renewed up to season 14? Great news if so. 11 had its lows, but also some great highs.

FrigidEh

I started this show last September and finished it in December. I, obviously, fell in love with it and had no issues with the last season. Give me as many seasons as possible.

Ross61

Just started this not that long ago, in the middle of season 3. I love it

But what fascinates me is that they're so manipulating and are sociopaths, yet they're so dumb as well. Like when Dee and Dennis's father wanted to see her and Frank have sex to "prove their love" for each other. Not a once did Dee ever question why her father would want to see her have sex.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
To be fair, I started disliking this show during season 4. I must be ahead of the curve. Seasons 2-3 are top-tier television, however.

Season 10 was one of the best seasons, easily.

"Hey ladies, I'm Frak" might be the hardest I've ever laughed at a Sunny ep.

Da fudge? Season 4 has Gang Solves The Gas Crisis, which is my favorite episode of the entire series. Mac and Charlie Die part 1 and 2 are hilarious too.

Mac and Charlie Die are actually my favorite episodes from season 4. Aside from these two (and bits and pieces here and there), I felt that season 4 was a big step down from the previous seasons.

However, I do love the episode where Mac plays hockey and Dennis and Dee host a podcast. I think that was from season 7 or 8.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
mVy1Wpt.jpg

Santiako

Season 11 now available on UK Netflix. I'll rewatch it to see if it's as bad as I felt it was the first time around or if it gains anything with a second go around.

It always takes me 3-4 viewings of an episode to really love it. That includes Season 11, and that also includes Frank's Brother.

Shady Nasty's!

I lost it during the episode on the ship where Dennis was desperately trying to make it seem like he wasn't intending to sexually assault that girl in the hallway. The lights flickering off and saying something about how it was much more sinister than he intended. Laughed my ass off.

Is that true? Poor Danny. They need to be more careful with him. He's a treasure. :(

Charlie was on Conan one night and talked about how when they filmed that scene, Danny DeVito is shaped like a weird barrel and he kept floating so they had to weigh him down with a ton of shit

When it was time for them all to swim up he was too heavy and the divers had to come get him

Kurdel

Banned
Charlie was on Conan one night and talked about how when they filmed that scene, Danny DeVito is shaped like a weird barrel and he kept floating so they had to weigh him down with a ton of shit

When it was time for them all to swim up he was too heavy and the divers had to come get him

ynX3vFq.png

Hahahahaha oh GAF. I'd watched Seasons 1 through 11 and never once had issues with quality. Some episodes are better than others, sure, but compared to most other long running sitcoms Always Sunny manages to keep its quality through the roof. I don't know whether that's because of the shorter episode count or what, but it might actually be my favorite comedy of all time.

Ross61

Has anyone noticed that Charlie has gotten more self aware while Mac has gotten dumber progressively throughout the later seasons.

Has anyone noticed that Charlie has gotten more self aware while Mac has gotten dumber progressively throughout the later seasons.

Charlie's intelligence is probably the least consistent character trait of the show. Some episodes he is a genius, others he is a complete idiot, and most he is anywhere in between as long as it suits the plot. All the other characters seem to be in a steady decline.

Charlie's intelligence is probably the least consistent character trait of the show. Some episodes he is a genius, others he is a complete idiot, and most he is anywhere in between as long as it suits the plot. All the other characters seem to be in a steady decline.

Wild card, bitches!

Charlie is a complex man.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

When shows are around so long you notice things. It's similar to South Park where people complain the show is too topical now even though it has always been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom