• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple releases iOS 10.3, macOS 10.12.4, watchOS 3.2, tvOS 10.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Worst case scenario you update through a computer instead of over the air

The minute I heard that APFS was included with this update I waited until I got home to iTunes. I love Apple, but I'm not trusting a damned file system migration to an OTA update with no backup plan at the ready.

hirokazu

The minute I heard that APFS was included with this update I waited until I got home to iTunes. I love Apple, but I'm not trusting a damned file system migration to an OTA update with no backup plan at the ready.

Yeah, I did a backup on my work computer before proceeding. I always backup before updating these days.

Now I may just wait till I get home so I can get a second backup on my home computer just in case.

Koodo

Banned
Some App Store changes are coming in iOS 10.3, allowing developers to respond to customer reviews for the first time.
I feel like this will result in a few humorous yelp-like exchanges.

giga

Yeah, I did a backup on my work computer before proceeding. I always backup before updating these days.

Now I may just wait till I get home so I can get a second backup on my home computer just in case.

Really not necessary. People have been beta testing for months with no issues.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
APFS is a potential game changer in the long run. It's not the flashest thing in this update, but it's arguably the biggest update to iOS since iOS launched.

hirokazu

Really not necessary. People have been beta testing for months with no issues.
I've had an iOS update fail while trying to update my sister's phone within the past two years that required a DFU reset. Luckily, I did a backup before that too - she kept all of her Camera Roll photos and videos on her phone and never backed it up once it exceeded her 5GB free iCloud so the backup was over 50GB.

I've also had multiple macOS updates fail over the past few years that required full Time Machine restores to fix.

I don't like to take chances with Apple OS updates these days, they're flakey as fuck.

giga

I've had iOS updates fail while trying to update my sister's phone within the past two years. Luckily, I did a backup before that too - she kept all of her Camera Roll photos and videos on her phone and never backed it up once it exceeded her 5GB free iCloud so the backup was over 50GB.

I've also had multiple macOS updates fail over the past few years that required full Time Machine restores to fix.

I don't like to take chances with Apple OS updates these days, they're flakey as fuck.
I'm not arguing the need to backup. I'm saying have *two* local backups is getting into paranoid territory when you have iCloud as a failsafe as well.

LosDaddie

Banned
I tried to update my iPhone 6 Plus, it stayed on "Verifying update..." for a long time before saying "An error occurred while installing iOS 10.3." The phone was quite hot. Restarted the phone and tried downloading and installing again. Currently stuck on "Verifying update..." again and the phone is quite warm again. Hopefully it goes through this time.

EDIT: Failed again. Trying to install from iTunes now.

Exact same scenario I went through with my iPhone 6.
i just got done updating via iTunes on my PC.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Make sure you all have a backup. I already had a customer come in today who had lost all her pictures cause she wanted to update to 10.3 and didn't make a backup beforehand...
That would've been the perfect time to introduce her to iCloud Photo Library and the super dirt-cheap $1 50GB iCloud plan.

I'm not arguing the need to backup. I'm saying have *two* local backups is getting into paranoid territory when you have iCloud as a failsafe as well.
I don't think so. You can never have too many backups.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I've had an iOS update fail while trying to update my sister's phone within the past two years that required a DFU reset. Luckily, I did a backup before that too - she kept all of her Camera Roll photos and videos on her phone and never backed it up once it exceeded her 5GB free iCloud so the backup was over 50GB.

I normally just go OTA with no issues. But APFS is a Big Deal, and I've gotta admire the stones it takes to decide to deploy a change this big in a boring ol' point release.

That would've been the perfect time to introduce her to iCloud Photo Library and the super dirt-cheap $1 50GB iCloud plan.

I don't think so. You can never have too many backups.

Also this: $12/year for 50GB of cloud storage that also acts as a remote backup for your phone and/or tablet's critical data and photos is a really, really good deal.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Also this: $12/year for 50GB of cloud storage that also acts as a remote backup for your phone and/or tablet's critical data and photos is a really, really good deal.
Yeah, 50GB for $1 is not terrible at all for the integration you get. And many people will never need more. And if they do, the 200GB plan is only $3 which is nothing for something you can access from all your devices. I mean hell, DropBox's only plan is $10 a month for 1TB and you can't even get a smaller plan. Though Google Drive has some good choices. But seeing as iCloud is fully integrated with the apps you already probably use on the phone, it's a no-brainer.

I just wish they'd offer better seamless integration between Photos and Drive for when trying to access image files or save image files. Like it's silly that I can't open iCloud Drive, find an image file and set it as my Wallpaper without having to first save the image to my Photos Library, open Settings and set it as Wallpaper, then go back to Photos to delete the file. Why not let me browse the iCloud Drive from the Wallpaper chooser? This is the kind of seamlessness we need before Drive will be perfect. Also let me save files of any kind, not just images, to my Drive. Especially if I have the space. And if needed, offer an off-device service that takes the URL and saves the file directly into the Drive on a server level instead of having to first download it to the phone then upload it to Drive.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I tried to update my iPhone 6 Plus, it stayed on "Verifying update..." for a long time before saying "An error occurred while installing iOS 10.3." The phone was quite hot. Restarted the phone and tried downloading and installing again. Currently stuck on "Verifying update..." again and the phone is quite warm again. Hopefully it goes through this time.

EDIT: Failed again. Trying to install from iTunes now.

happened on my 5s via OTA...but the second install attempt completed just fine

Mistake

I'm not seeing that app review switch anywhere. Where is it? Almost every free app does it, which is very annoying

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I backup photos but nothing else. When I formatted my pc my backup was a 16gig thumbdrive. I think its best to make peace without most data. Its just easier.

I do care quite a bit about backing up my healthkit stuff. I just think its interesting I have access to two years of heartrate data. Sometimes when I'm bored I scroll through my phone and see what my heart was doing a month ago at the same time, etc.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The update wiped out a bunch of my photos, so I erased the phone to restore with my iCloud backup and it's been hanging on "Time remaining: estimating..." for about 15 minutes. Needless to say, I'm a bit nervous. Also, I forgot that backups don't include Touch ID data, so that's going to be a pain in the ass to redo.

hirokazu

I'm not seeing that app review switch anywhere. Where is it? Almost every free app does it, which is very annoying
Yeah, I'm looking for it too. Someone point us to it?

FYI, the switch only applies to apps that use the new Apple-approved API for presenting the "rate this app" nag. The existing ones will continue to nag you, though I believe they won't be allowed to implement their own nags going forward.

smuf

why the hell are OS updates needed to fix bugs in Mail?

What year is this?

Worst part is that Safari is bound to OS updates as well, so people who don't update their OS get stuck with an old browser. Makes my life as a webdeveloper just that bit more exciting.

LordOfChaos

hmm...probably just placebo but my 5s seems snappier? could just be the new animation...hah

They did tweak the animations again to convey a sense of speed. Waiting on objective measures if getting into an app is actually faster or just the animation feels faster.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Finally got my backup to load, and after hours of reindexing, now my camera roll is completely out of order. Looking online, there's no way to fix this.

Ugh, what a shitshow.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Besides what the other gaffer said I guess less space since it's a better optimized file system? Saw this on macrumors comments

WshXmrR.png

Yes, APFS enables shadow cloning of files, or Sparse files with a new copy-on-write metadata scheme. E.g. say you have a photo in your camera roll and open that same photo in another app, on the old HFS system the OS would make a duplicate file of that photo for the other app but with APFS that is not required. As long as there are no edits done to the original photo there is only one copy of it taking up space.

Expand this type of feature across the whole OS and you'll start seeing performance benefits and space reduction across the board with files, apps, updates etc.

So not really related to this release but my 6s is getting tons of image retention the past few weeks. This a foreshadowing of LCD panel failure? Not sure what would randomly cause this.

hirokazu

Theatre Mode is called Cinema Mode if your phone language is set to Australian English. 🤔 Makes no sense, it's an option I'd use while in any type of theatre, not just a movie theatre.

They did tweak the animations again to convey a sense of speed. Waiting on objective measures if getting into an app is actually faster or just the animation feels faster.
The animations also seem smoother overall but it could be placebo.

Where is this located?
It was in the betas but isn't in the final version. Nobody's using the new app review API yet, so it wouldn't do anything. Expect the API to become mandatory with iOS 11 (as will 64-bit binaries), and that's when the switch will show up for end users (as opposed to being there in betas for developers who need to test the new API).

Enco

Maybe placebo but I'm really enjoying how smooth this feels.

Battery seems pretty average still but not too terrible.

Think I'll stick with the 6S+ for a few more years. Amazing phone.

Really excited for iOS 11. Just hope it doesn't slow things down. Right now the only thing I want from iOS to make it perfect is the ability to set default apps. More Siri improvements would be nice too.

rekameohs

Banned
It was in the betas but isn't in the final version. Nobody's using the new app review API yet, so it wouldn't do anything. Expect the API to become mandatory with iOS 11 (as will 64-bit binaries), and that's when the switch will show up for end users (as opposed to being there in betas for developers who need to test the new API).
Thanks. I remember seeing the warning message when launching 32-bit apps earlier; is there anywhere to see a list of which are, so I know what's affected?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Updated my iPhone 5c last night via iTunes after running a backup. Figured it was already plugged in so there wasn't any sense in clogging up my phone with update files.

Then updated my Macbook Pro as well.

All went well as expected. I'll need to look into Night Shift when I get home.

hirokazu

Thanks. I remember seeing the warning message when launching 32-bit apps earlier; is there anywhere to see a list of which are, so I know what's affected?
If you go to Settings > About > Applications, it'll show you a list of installed 32-bit apps which will presumably no longer run on iOS 11. Then you can choose to either pester the devs to update their apps or just delete them.

hirokazu

Updated my iPhone 5c last night via iTunes after running a backup. Figured it was already plugged in so there wasn't any sense in clogging up my phone with update files.

Then updated my Macbook Pro as well.

All went well as expected. I'll need to look into Night Shift when I get home.
Night Shift is only supported on certain Macs for no apparent reason that I can see other than planned obsolescence. You can hexedit the CoreBrightness framework to reduce the minimum supported model numbers and it works fine if your Mac isn't officially supported.

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/01/30/4398/

If you go to Settings > About > Applications, it'll show you a list of installed 32-bit apps which will presumably no longer run on iOS 11. Then you can choose to either pester the devs to update their apps or just delete them.
Oh man I hope Square-Enix updates FFT:WotL 😭

Groove Coaster! Taito, pls fix.

- - - - -

This updates makes my 6S+ feel super snappy.

TimFL

Maybe it's like the 32-Bit list in About: only shows up when there are apps installed that take advantage of the new rating stuff?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Oh man I hope Square-Enix updates FFT:WotL 😭
Considering how long it took them to fix TWEWY, they might update it by the time iOS 12 drops.

I hope they pay attention to it though, it's one of the best mobile ports out there and the work they did on the new sprites is excellent. Worst case scenario they'll remove it from the store like they did with Chaos Rings. :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes, APFS enables shadow cloning of files, or Sparse files with a new copy-on-write metadata scheme. E.g. say you have a photo in your camera roll and open that same photo in another app, on the old HFS system the OS would make a duplicate file of that photo for the other app but with APFS that is not required. As long as there are no edits done to the original photo there is only one copy of it taking up space.

Expand this type of feature across the whole OS and you'll start seeing performance benefits and space reduction across the board with files, apps, updates etc.
I hope they make it so if I either:

A) have a photo in my library and I send it to someone via text message, it just places the photo in the message as a hard link to the original. But if I delete the photo from my library, it smartly just moves the original into the messages database to replace the link.

B) If someone sends me a photo and I save it to my library it will move the photo into the library and replace it in the messages database as a link.

Basically make it smart enough to never have that same image file in multiple places. And by always preferring to keep the original in the library when it's in both places, it'll make the messages database much smaller.

Maybe they could just make a smart photo album called "Photos in Messages" that just lists and contains all those photos (All messaged photos would automatically just go into your Photos Library and the message thread itself would just link back to it.) that's set up with sub folders for each message thread. But this album would be contained only on your personal devices and any photos from messages would only become part of the main library if you move them out of the album at which point they would appear in your photo stream and could be shared if needed. But Messages would retain a link to the photo (So it appears in the thread) until you delete the photo from the library completely.

I already use flux on my Macbook. Super awesome. I wonder if the Apple version is better because I notice some odd light leaks with FLux

Meier

All I ask is that they eventually allow you to delete cached storage stuff from third party apps without having to delete the whole thing. I have a 64 GB and am constantly battling my storage capacity.

It would also be fantastic if you could delete all media from text messages. Having to do it manually per conversation is so stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom