• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDub

tabsina said:
I agree that the solution provided is good enough, but don't buy into Jobs' argument that this is the issue faced by [almost] all phones - it isn't.. at least, not nearly to the extent of this phone, where one finger is all it needs to drop out

I'm glad that they have offered the free bumper solution, I've been telling my family members who went ahead and bought this model of the apple phone to wait for the possibility of a free case, and I'm glad that has happened - and they are happy too

One finger? Youtube proof?

SnakeswithLasers said:
I canceled my online order for a bumper and just went to the Apple store to pick one up.
I'm so glad my problem with the "death grip" is solved!

But wait. It's not.

Right now, bumper on, holding "correctly":
IMG_0337.png

Right now, bumper on, "death grip":
IMG_0338.png

So.............wait, what?
I think I need a new phone. =/

Edit: On the bright side--at least I now have 3 bars instead of 5 in my house--and they don't drop when I hold my phone over it's weak spot!

MASSIVE DAMAGE! :lol :lol

I tried to same thing with my Bumper and I'm getting the same signal strength even with the death grip. I'm also in a low signal area.

I'm late, but I thought the bumper was canceling the signal problem because you could not hold it wrong... ?

And what did Apple annouce yesterday ?

UnluckyKate said:
I'm late, but I thought the bumper was canceling the signal problem because you could not hold it wrong... ?

And what did Apple annouce yesterday ?
Apple announced that... wait.. we are APPLE! WE ARE NEVER WRONG! Free Bumpers! Thats right, Microsoft bought everyone on E3 by giving Free 360s. We will do the same by providing free Bumpers! Bumpers are cure to this disease!

I'm sorry... you still think Bumpers won't fix it? Fine! We'll give you your money back (provided that you returned it within 30 days and bring it back with no damage. What? This is policy of every company? Well fuck that! We'll do it anyway and make sure we mention it!).

Oh and we'll make sure to fire the engineers that mentioned to use wayyy long before the release that Iphone 4 has signal problem.

shagg_187 said:
Apple announced that... wait.. we are APPLE! WE ARE NEVER WRONG! Free Bumpers! Thats right, Microsoft bought everyone on E3 by giving Free 360s. We will do the same by providing free Bumpers! Bumpers are cure to this disease!

I'm sorry... you still think Bumpers won't fix it? Fine! We'll give you your money back (provided that you returned it within 30 days and bring it back with no damage. What? This is policy of every company? Well fuck that! We'll do it anyway and make sure we mention it!).

Oh and we'll make sure to fire the engineers that mentioned to use wayyy long before the release that Iphone 4 has signal problem.
:lol fair enough.

So when I'll buy my iPhone 4 in two weeks, there will be a bumper shipped with it ? Or the store will give me one (no apple store in my country) or I'll have to send a coupon to receive the bumper 3 month later ?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
shagg_187 said:

What would you have liked them to do instead?

CheddarApple

Neo Member
I know I'm late to the party but a few things really stand out as BS coming out of Job's mouth.

"This has been blown so out of proportion, it's incredible" - erm? no it hasn't, simply put you fucked it up big time, no matter how much you or people on here try to downplay the whole thing.

Dragged a bunch of other phone manufacturers into this even though the comparisons were invalid since you have to suffocate their phones with a crazy grip while recording it on a camcorder for their bars to drop while on the iPhone all it takes is lightly holding it in a natural way with minimal pressure.

This also really annoyed me, "All other smartphones have the same problem", fuck off, it doesn't even begin to compare.

Apart from the shit steve spat out, I can't really fault the way they are dealing with the issue, seems like the obvious way to go. I've played around with a friends iphone4 and it's clearly a great phone otherwise. The fault would just bug me too much and I'd probably return it, but that's just me.

Mairu

Bitmap Frogs said:
I like how Apple and Jobs decided to fess up the concepts of "signal attenuation caused by putting massive amounts of meat around some other phone maker's antenna" and "detuning the iPhone 4 antenna by merely, lightly touching two spots on its exterior antenna".

This is a recall worthy fault.
This is not a recall worthy fault, there is no need to be overly dramatic. This isn't a problem for all iPhone 4 users. It's an annoyance for a lot of people and their response of giving a free case is fine enough. I have had an iPhone 4 since launch and not once have I had a call dropped due to holding the phone the "wrong" way. I probably would have been going caseless but since they're giving out free ones I might as well put something on it.
Here, a test of my own. With no case even! No death grip, holding normally:
3572f1fe.jpg

Death grip:
f5574e2d.jpg

Oh no, it's faster! Oh the humanity! Recall the phone now!
I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist, but it wasn't even close to being a "recall worthy fault" and Apple's resolution is fine (assuming they do something to fix future phones and don't just cancel the free-case after the 30th without doing anything about it)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
UnluckyKate said:
:lol fair enough.

So when I'll buy my iPhone 4 in two weeks, there will be a bumper shipped with it ? Or the store will give me one (no apple store in my country) or I'll have to send a coupon to receive the bumper 3 month later ?
You will apply online for a case. Not necessarily a bumper.

Srider

Banned
I just watched the videos Apple posted on the site showing their tests.

There is just one conclusion I came to afterwards:

Who the hell holds their phone with just their fingers like its covered in shit?

Maybe that's what apple thinks about their own products.

I used the death grip, even both of my hands to cover the antenna of my phone and I could not get it to drop even 1 bar. Sorry, but as brilliant a man as he is, Steve Jobs is full of lies on this one and people eat it up.

LCfiner

Srider said:

Who the hell holds their phone with just their fingers like its covered in shit?

I used the death grip, even both of my hands to cover the antenna of my phone and I could not get it to drop even 1 bar. Sorry, but as brilliant a man as he is, Steve Jobs is full of lies on this one and people eat it up.
Dude, what?

The fingertip holding was just done to show a clear difference between death grip and, essentially, no grip. To make it clear when the signal was going to start to degrade.

There was no implication that the fingertip holding was how they expect people to hold these phones normally. No one has suggested this except for you. You are misinterpreting the videos.

I just did the speed test. Too lazy to upload the pics but here are my results.

Sitting on my table: (4 Bars)
Download - 3724kbps
Upload - 1271kbps
Ping - 405ms

In my hand, normal grip test 1: (4 Bars)
Download - 1275kbps
Upload - 42kbps
Ping - 413ms

In my hand, normal grip test 2: (5 Bars)
Download - 1535kbps
Upload - 12kbps
Ping - 2492ms

In my hand, death grip: (3 Bars)
Download - 1332kbps
Upload - 20kbps
Ping - 28842ms

In my hand, squeezing the shit out of it so bad it hurt: (2 Bars)
Download - 1337kbps
Upload - 18kbps
Ping - 24636ms

So I have learned my phone in normal use has no problems other then horrible, horrible upload speeds :lol And in one case, the death grip actually gave me better upload AND download speeds then the other hand-held test :lol

giga

Bitmap Frogs said:
I like how Apple and Jobs decided to fess up the concepts of "signal attenuation caused by putting massive amounts of meat around some other phone maker's antenna" and "detuning the iPhone 4 antenna by merely, lightly touching two spots on its exterior antenna".

This is a recall worthy fault.
Nah. It's definitely a flaw that has made it easy to showcase, but not worthy of a recall if it only affects a small percentage of users that are in low signal areas.

Jobs said himself that if the problem is great enough for you that they'll honor a return and AT&T contract cancellation. Otherwise, here's a free case. I like Gruber's take on it about trade offs.:

I don’t think there’s even a question that the iPhone 4, because of its external antenna, is susceptible to a different type of signal attenuation than all phones with internal antennas. To drop the signal with other phones, including the iPhone 3GS, you have to grip them such that your palm is interfering with the antenna. The iPhone 4 is susceptible to this too, but also susceptible — sometimes — to attenuation from the light touch of any skin at all that bridges the antenna gap.

That doesn’t mean the iPhone 4 suffers from more or worse attenuation than other phones. Apple made the case that it does not. But it is different, and for whatever reason, Apple didn’t want to address that directly.

What I took away from the press conference is that Apple believes the iPhone 4 antenna is better than the previous iPhone antennas, but it has a more sensitive “weak spot”. And, that more sensitive weak spot is inherent to the external antenna design. In short, that it’s a trade-off — better signal quality overall, better aesthetics, more structural rigidity, even better battery life because there’s room for a bigger battery without an internal antenna. The trade-off is that all of those benefits come at the expense of a more sensitive “weak spot”. (I put that in quotes because it’s Jobs’s term for the infamous lower-left gap in the antenna frame.)

But Jobs never used the word “trade-off”, and clearly didn’t want to. I think he should have.

Anandtech have already confirmed that the new antenna is more susceptible to to attenuation because of its external design, but that it's far more sensitive than the 3GS and can actually hold on to calls and keep reception in dead zones that the 3GS couldn't.

itxaka

Defeatist
Mairu said:
This is not a recall worthy fault, there is no need to be overly dramatic. This isn't a problem for all iPhone 4 users. It's an annoyance for a lot of people and their response of giving a free case is fine enough. I have had an iPhone 4 since launch and not once have I had a call dropped due to holding the phone the "wrong" way. I probably would have been going caseless but since they're giving out free ones I might as well put something on it.
Here, a test of my own. With no case even! No death grip, holding normally:
[IG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/gmairu/3572f1fe.jpg[/IMG]
Death grip:
[IG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/gmairu/f5574e2d.jpg[/IMG]
Oh no, it's faster! Oh the humanity! Recall the phone now!
I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist, but it wasn't even close to being a "recall worthy fault" and Apple's resolution is fine (assuming they do something to fix future phones and don't just cancel the free-case after the 30th without doing anything about it)

Some of you guys are awesome. I mean, this proves that instead of cutting the signal with your body you are actually extending the antenna with your body. I wonder why that happens, what is the differentiation between you and a guy who kil the signal with their hands.

Not trolling, I'm serious. IIRC Gary Whitta also gained signal with his body. Do you guys eat things with iron on it? :lol

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Mecha_Infantry said:
I still don't get this "Fix it Apple" as there is no fix for this shit, it's in every phone (read: almost?).

I love how this has now become the talking point.

first there wasn't a problem but now apparently it's every phone.

I've done a bit of playing around with the iPhone 4 and even when holding it "right" I've been noticing crushing signal drops. AT&T seems like it is getting slower in my area, so it could be them to blame and not the phone. Also, I did side by side comparison and my 3G loaded a page faster than the iPhone 4...thing is the iPhone 4's signal seemed to just...die. The phone itself is still very fast. After playing around with a number of Android devices from Verizon (ones that belong to my friends, and new ones just out) I've pretty much decided on switching. The web browsing speed with Verizon is actually worthwhile. I feel like I would actually use my phone's internet connection more than a couple times a week if it wasn't so damn slow. My performance on AT&T has been trivial, and is not worth anywhere near the $30/mo. I still love my Mac (which is the 3rd I've owned), but AT&T's degrading service around here and Apple's lol-worthy response has pushed me away.

D4Danger said:
I love how this has now become the talking point.

first there wasn't a problem but now apparently it's every phone.

If you have read other threads pertaining this issue, you'll see I and others had issues with the Nexus One. Selective reading or lack of knowledge on the subject? I go for both...

tino

Banned
I like RIM's response to Apple. I would like to see how the Apple fanboys in this thread spin that. Or was it been defended already I am too lazy to search the whole thread.

(For the record I usually prefer to enjoy the epic fanboy wars in SA, but I can't find the iPhone4 thread anywhere, maybe it has been nuked.)

Blackhead

Redarse
giga said:
Anandtech have already confirmed that the new antenna is more susceptible to to attenuation because of its external design, but that it's far more sensitive than the 3GS and can actually hold on to calls and keep reception in dead zones that the 3GS couldn't.
Apple's and AT&T's own records confirms that without a case the iPhone4 drops slightly more calls than the 3GS. And all this doesn't even go into the reduced data speeds which I personally consider far more important :|

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Mecha_Infantry said:
If you have read other threads pertaining this issue, you'll see I and others had issues with the Nexus One. Selective reading or lack of knowledge on the subject? I go for both...

The Nexus One is not every other phone.

dLMN8R said:
Look, comparisons to other phones or not, the fact is that Steve Jobs got on stage more than a month ago and proclaimed that their new antenna design was revolutionary, magical, or whatever fucking absurd hyperbole of the day he decided on.

Yesterday, he himself said that the iPhone 4 is dropping more calls than the iPhone 3GS.

Why the hell are people defending this? They deliberately chose form over function, in the most explicit example possible. The new design is objectively worse when it comes to dropped calls, straight out of Steve Jobs' mouth.
Did you pay attention to his theory about cases? It makes sense.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I don't have an iPhone, I don't have an Android phone. I have a 2-3 year old Samsung flip-phone. I just moved to a new apartment in a new city, and the AT&T signal here is quite shit. The phone is only able to make calls in the bedrooms. Oddly enough, if the phone is placed on any counter outside the bedrooms (kitchen etc), it get full bars and 3G. It will even receive calls as long as you don't pick it up. Once you pick it up, you see the bars slowly disappear, and you can't make any calls. Same shit with my wife's phone who has a different model Samsung flip-phone. I really wonder if this issue is more widespread than we realize, it's just that the iPhone is so damn popular that the public has now begun to notice it.

Oh, and my brother in law and his wife have no issues with their Sprint phones in the apartment.

:/

tfur

Mecha_Infantry said:
Again, no other phone drops signal as badly as the iphone 4. Anand showed this, and so did Consumer Reports. There is a reason it is not recommended by CR, there is no conspiracy.

There is a design flaw, period. At this point you are just shilling Apple PR.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Did you pay attention to his theory about cases? It makes sense.
i like better the cold reality that having an external antenna makes signal attenuation a fuck ton easier to accomplish.

Job's theory was contrived to dampen the glaring weakness in the external design and mitigate Apple's fault in the matter.

So I've been at the beach all week but I couldn't be happier with the solution. I just ordered 3 bumpers a week ago for the family phones and getting them free is great. The black one showed up when I was gone but after picking it up I really like it. I didn't think it could look better but it does.

One happy customer here.

Srider said:

There's this guy:

Light%20and%20L%207.jpg

julls said:
What would you have liked them to do instead?
iPhone 5! That's right people. We are apple and we love to release product the minute we announce it. Sega Saturn ain't got shit on us!!

No but really... I would've LOVED for them to admit to their mistake instead of saying that less than 1% is effected by this; and instead of blaming software engineers, they need to blame hardware engineers. Release signal booster built within the bumpers that they are so shamelessly providing; and provide it for free to everyone who owned the iPhone prior to this press conference, and ship it with every other iPhone 4.

I don't know. They can do loads of things to keep their reputation stable.

Zeppu

Could some please try something for me please?

Anyone who has an iPhone 4 and can easily reproduce this issue - like the ones who claim they can do it with one finger or whatever.

Could they put on the bumper and grip the phone tightly (i.e. full insulation) and see if there is any drop in signal.

Because a bumper on an external antenna is basically the same thing as having a phone with an internal antenna to begin with so reception wise:
iPhone 4 < iPhone 4 + bumper = any other phone = any other phone with case

Vyer

scorcho said:
i like better the cold reality that having an external antenna makes signal attenuation a fuck ton easier to accomplish.

Job's theory was contrived to dampen the glaring weakness in the external design and mitigate Apple's fault in the matter.
:lol
'cold reality' is that lots of people - in this thread and out in real life - function with and use the phone just fine even with the issue. Cold Reality deals less with fanboy/troll hyperbole and less in shitty 'it's UNUSABLE', 'There is NO ISSUE' absolutes.

But what would this thread, GAF and the Internet do then? We can't have that. So you might want to hold back before you start breakin out the 'cold reality' line. ;p

shagg_187 said:
They're giving away free bumpers that mostly eliminate the problem. For most people, getting free cases is like Christmas again. But nerds on the Internet want Jobs to get on his knees with apologies and to soliloquize about how his company blew it. Internet nerd egos are apparently much bigger than Apple's.

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^^
WTF liu kang. An apology is no longer basic courtesy that PR reps learn in Community Relations 101? Has Apple not themselves apologized for previous problems with their devices? Is Apple the first company to be criticized for being perceived as arrogant in their response to a problem? Like seriously, WTF is up with you that a desire for a simple apology is suddenly a problem. You can't understand the principle?

quadriplegicjon said:
I don't have an iPhone, I don't have an Android phone. I have a 2-3 year old Samsung flip-phone. I just moved to a new apartment in a new city, and the AT&T signal here is quite shit. The phone is only able to make calls in the bedrooms. Oddly enough, if the phone is placed on any counter outside the bedrooms (kitchen etc), it get full bars and 3G. It will even receive calls as long as you don't pick it up. Once you pick it up, you see the bars slowly disappear, and you can't make any calls. Same shit with my wife's phone who has a different model Samsung flip-phone. I really wonder if this issue is more widespread than we realize, it's just that the iPhone is so damn popular that the public has now begun to notice it.

Oh, and my brother in law and his wife have no issues with their Sprint phones in the apartment.

:/
C'mon man. It's not rocket science. It's been gone over several times in this thread—you're not so dumb as to not still be able to understand the issue. Let's try one more time:

• Cellular phones are popular devices. Cellphones are so popular that people realize that if you cover a cellphone entirely and squeeze it very fucking hard the cellphone will start to lose reception.
  • AT&T is popular network. AT&T is so popular that many people realized its network coverage is spotty, in some areas you'll even have misleading bars and failing reception, and that other (also popular) networks sometimes offer good signal where AT&T does not.
  • The iPhone4 is popular phone, locked to AT&T, with a unique antenna. The iPhone4 is so popular that many people realize that if you touch the antenna in a particular spot you may completely lose signal.
See the iPhone4 is a cellphone and is locked to AT&T's network. People already know what may happen to it as a result of those two factors. The iPhone4 has a unique antenna. People are just discovering what happens to it as a result of that. Understood? Or do you have to return to high school to properly learn Set Theory?

3rdman

Ice Monkey said:
Unfair crack at apple by RIM. The whole point of the RIM/HTC thing was to show that all phones have problems when you hold them in a way that uses your hand as a shield. If anyone raged about blackberries failing in the death grip like apple showed evidence of, RIM would have been right there mirroring the argument. The difference is that RIM wouldn't have to account for a magical antenna button.

Apple never once equated the magic antenna strip to anything RIM has to offer, he was countering the idiocy of those on the internet raging about how a phone reacts when you cut a hole in your wrist and shove the phone in.

He pointed out the strip issue as the weak spot, we can't expect him to harp any more on an obvious flaw. It's bad business. All we can expect is that he admits it.

No need to get so abrasive, you can't fault gary for defending the iphone when he's one of the apparent few (like me) who like the bumper case (which negates antenna issues) and really like the phone in general.
Unfair?!?!?!? Are you kidding? They were dragged into this by Apple yesterday and you think it's unfair of them to defend themselves? Apple apologists are truly an amazing species!

Tobor

shagg_187 said:
iPhone 5! That's right people. We are apple and we love to release product the minute we announce it. Sega Saturn ain't got shit on us!!

No but really... I would've LOVED for them to admit to their mistake instead of saying that less than 1% is effected by this; and instead of blaming software engineers, they need to blame hardware engineers. Release signal booster built within the bumpers that they are so shamelessly providing; and provide it for free to everyone who owned the iPhone prior to this press conference, and ship it with every other iPhone 4.

So now you expect them to redesign the bumpers to somehow boost the signal and have that ready in less than three weeks? Get real. :lol

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Vyer said:
:lol
'cold reality' is that lots of people - in this thread and out in real life - function with and use the phone just fine even with the issue. Cold Reality deals less with fanboy/troll hyperbole and less in shitty 'it's UNUSABLE', 'There is NO ISSUE' absolutes.

But what would this thread, GAF and the Internet do then? We can't have that. So you might want to hold back before you start breakin out the 'cold reality' line. ;p
yes, reality. the external antenna is responsible for why the phone is better at latching onto the signal than previous iphones, but also more susceptible to attenuation because we can touch the damn thing with our skin with the lack of any non-conductive insulation/layer to prevent it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3821/iphone-4-redux-analyzing-apples-ios-41-signal-fix/3

A for people who maybe didn't watch the conference or digest what Jobs said (probably most in here):

"But not everyone is seeing this — a small number encounter it. For those customers we’ll get them a case, and if that doesn’t work, we’ll get them a full refund. And we’ll continue to work on antennas that don’t have this problem."

"we marked the weak spot with a big X" (paraphrasing)

I think clearly Jobs admits to a problem, and a solution in the future is coming.

So those who keep on wrongly saying Apple haven't owned up to their wrongs is frankly wrong

Blackhead

Redarse
Mecha_Infantry said:
A for people who maybe didn't watch the conference or digest what Jobs said (probably most in here):

"But not everyone is seeing this — a small number encounter it. For those customers we’ll get them a case, and if that doesn’t work, we’ll get them a full refund. And we’ll continue to work on antennas that don’t have this problem."

"we marked the weak spot with a big X" (paraphrasing)

I think clearly Jobs admits to a problem, and a solution in the future is coming.

So those who keep on wrongly saying Apple haven't owned up to their wrongs is frankly wrong
iPhone 4 antenna: unanswered questions, unearned trust

They're giving away free bumpers that mostly eliminate the problem. For most people, getting free cases is like Christmas again. But nerds on the Internet want Jobs to get on his knees with apologies and to soliloquize about how his company blew it. Internet nerd egos are apparently much bigger than Apple's.
This reminds me of this quote

"Andy Ihnatko on Antennapalooza &#9733;
Andy Ihnatko:

Steve Jobs didn’t fall to his knees, rend his garment, clap his hands together, and beg for forgiveness from users and stockholders.

This has upset many people.

These people are idiots."

Sorry for the multiple posts, on the iPhone. Lulz

Vyer

scorcho said:
yes, reality. the external antenna is responsible for why the phone is better at latching onto the signal than previous iphones, but also more susceptible to attenuation because we can touch the damn thing with our skin with the lack of any non-conductive insulation/layer to prevent it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3821/iphone-4-redux-analyzing-apples-ios-41-signal-fix/3
Er, yes. We know that. I don't think you understood my post. Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. :( I was commenting on fanboy war threads by usually being devoid of 'cold reality', not so much the topic you were quoting.

elohel

lol they could have like

not held a conference

or not given people bumpers

are people mad because this isnt 100 dollars?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think this is probably an acceptable solution for most users but an unacceptable solution to the PR disaster Apple's worked themselves into. The phone's not fixed and the conference was really kind of embarrassing. This was one of the first times as an Apple fanatic that I thought Steve was actually peddling bullshit and not just peddling his strong sense of self-branding. Some of the things he was suggesting came off to me as just outright disingenuous.

And as for the whole "not apologizing to investors" thing, that's pretty funny.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

"nerds on the internet" is the new godwin's law. and if anything they're the ones looking out for the sort of apple consumalot who seems incapable of kind of independent cognitive dissonance, as demonstrated by those who think that the same old band-aid solution to a gaping design flaw somehow excuses it, and are left to clear up the mess of disinformation spilled across the internet by job's circus of hubris.

JWong

Banned
Well, at least they came out and admitted it.

It's just like that time when they admitted overpricing the original iPhone during the price drop.

The bumper really kills the "industrial design" look. They probably shouldn't advertise the iPhone4 without a bumper.

Tobor

ghst said:
"nerds on the internet" is the new godwin's law. and if anything they're the ones looking out for the sort of apple consumalot who seems incapable of kind of independent cognitive dissonance, as demonstrated by those who think that the same band-aid solution to a gaping design flaw somehow excuses it, and are left to clear up the mess of disinformation spilled across the internet by job's circus of hubris.
You just proved Liu Kangs point. :lol

3rdman

elohel said:
lol they could have like

not held a conference

or not given people bumpers

are people mad because this isnt 100 dollars?
Giving people bumpers was the least they could do..They've been called out by Consumer Reports...They had to do something. I still think they should have been more forthcoming about the issue and they should have allowed a voluntary recall once they manufacturer a version that doesn't have this issue.

What really rubs me the wrong way was how they tried (so pathetically) to deflect criticism by showing other phones and how they behave under the death grip. That smacks of desperation and for a company that prides itself on quality, they've basically announced to the world, "You see, we suck as much as anyone else!"

bonesquad

What difference would it really make if Apple fully admitted they fucked up? Not much. You're getting your free case. What else matters? Make your feelings hurt less? Awe. Poor you.

And to those screaming their heads off, saying how "pissed" they are, how they demand a recall? That's nonsense. If you're having such issues take it back. No big deal. I don't know how anyone can get upset over something so trivial. (In the sence this is just a phone afterall. Because don't get me wrong, this is a flaw and it is more pronounced that most phones, but it's not the huge fatal flaw people are bitching about.)

Though I can reproduce it on demand, and tend to hold my phone in my left hand, maybe because I don't normally hold it in a way to cause the issue I don't care:).

I don't understand the issue. If you don't like the solution Apple is offering return the phone. They will let you have a full refund. If you like the phone they will give you a free bumper.

What the fuck is there to argue about. It is a phone. There are hundreds of others to choose from. I don't need a Steve Jobs blowjob or anything. They are a company selling a product.

Some of you have some deep issues. And made this thread so interesting. :lol

Burai

shitonmychest57
3rdman said:
Giving people bumpers was the least they could do..They've been called out by Consumer Reports...They had to do something. I still think they should have been more forthcoming about the issue and they should have allowed a voluntary recall once they manufacturer a version that doesn't have this issue.

Which would have taken how long? To all intents and purposes, they'd be R&Ding a brand new phone and having to manufacture 3-5m of them. They'd be months out.

And there's no guarantee that people would be happy with the replacement either, not to mention that some people may be happier with the phone they were told was broken.

If you aren't happy, just take your phone back and spend your money on something else. Nobody is holding a gun to your head with this. There are plenty of smart phones out there to choose from, including the 3GS if you want to stay tethered to Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom