• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubenov

People keep saying "free bumpers"... but it's my understanding they are actually offering "free cases". There's a difference.

Sullichin

Bitmap Frogs said:
I like how Apple and Jobs decided to fess up the concepts of "signal attenuation caused by putting massive amounts of meat around some other phone maker's antenna" and "detuning the iPhone 4 antenna by merely, lightly touching two spots on its exterior antenna".

This is a recall worthy fault.

Do you own the phone? Do you have this problem? Recall all of the phones when most iPhone 4 users are happy with their purchase? Ridiculous. I know I wouldn't send mine in. If this problem was affecting my usage of the phone.. I would have returned it and bought a different phone.

Also, Jobs apologized. He didn't get down on his knees and beg for forgiveness, but he apologized... I don't know what some people were expecting.

delirium

I don't think anyone cares that much if Apple apologizes or not. It's the tone and the way they went with the conference. The conference was basically just saying there was no problem, that everyone else suffers from the same problem, and because we're so awesome we're giving away a band-aid for the problem. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth to many.

Dez

thewhiterabbit said:
I don't understand the issue. If you don't like the solution Apple is offering return the phone. They will let you have a full refund. If you like the phone they will give you a free bumper.

What the fuck is there to argue about. It is a phone. There are hundreds of others to choose from. I don't need a Steve Jobs blowjob or anything. They are a company selling a product.

Some of you have some deep issues. And made this thread so interesting. :lol

I could sort of understand the frustration if it was coming from apple fans. I want the iphone4 now, but I don't like that it is likely that in revb of the iphone 4 six months from now, this issue will likely be fixed. Even though the issue probably won't affect me, I think the resell value of my phone will suffer.

Mecha_Infantry said:
Whoa whoa whoaaaa..I can quote from the conference: "We aren't perfect" "We screwed up"

How is that not taking responsibility?

I still don't get this "Fix it Apple" as there is no fix for this shit, it's in every phone (read: almost?).

It's got to a simple conclusion now, Apple have said what they have to say:

-Return the phone
-Don't buy the phone
-Get a free bumper

What else needs to be said now? Everything now is simple just unnecessary frothing at the mouth by you know who. It's simple now. Buy or don't buy
Because they knew about the problem before releasing it for sale.

Blackhead

Redarse
thewhiterabbit said:
I don't understand the issue. If you don't like the solution Apple is offering return the phone. They will let you have a full refund. If you like the phone they will give you a free bumper.

What the fuck is there to argue about. It is a phone. There are hundreds of others to choose from. I don't need a Steve Jobs blowjob or anything. They are a company selling a product.

Some of you have some deep issues. And made this thread so interesting. :lol
Was wondering when whiterabbit would waltz in here. I thought that Apple somewhat confirming a issue that you claimed everybody was lying about would make you pause a moment. Glad to see you're still delusional as the entertainment value is all your posts contribute to 'Apple' threads :)

Dez said:
I could sort of understand the frustration if it was coming from apple fans. I want the iphone4 now, but I don't like that it is likely that in revb of the iphone 4 six months from now, this issue will likely be fixed. Even though the issue probably won't affect me, I think the resell value of my phone will suffer.
:lol

Oh no the resale value lol. WTF is this a car?

It is a phone. If you want the Iphone buy it, or wait or get something else. This is beyond stupid.

Charred Greyface said:
Was wondering when whiterabbit would waltz in here. I thought that Apple somewhat confirming a issue that you claimed everybody was lying about would make you pause a moment. Glad to see you're still delusional as the entertainment value is all your posts contribute to 'Apple' threads

Look at my post history. I have a fucking life. I don't spend all day on GAF. Glad to know you do.

And I am delusional cause I aint bitching bout a phone I can return for a wait for it ....FULL REFUND

Raistlin

tfur said:
Anand tech already showed that none of the other phones drop signal as badly as the iphone 4. They tested all forms of holding and trying to make signals drop. People who keep saying that all phones drop as badly as the iphone 4 are just plain wrong.

The iphone 4 has a design flaw that other phones do not have.

The stuff at the presentation was stat manipulated, disingenuous shit.

My wife just said some of you may be mad cause you aint got a ride to return your phone. We are offering rides to return Iphone 4's. Hit me up so we can schedule a ride pick up. :lol

Raistlin

moniker said:
Shouldn't that be somewhat offset by the fact that USA has vastly more resources though?

yes, if we are only considering area

And this - population density / km^2:

USA: 32.167
Sweden: 20.725

The real answer though is that Sweden has, since the 90s, made a conscious effort to build great IT infrastructure.

That however is a poor stat. I doubt Sweden has the HUGE spans of <1/km that the US has. The distribution in the US is pretty clumpy

Blackhead

Redarse
thewhiterabbit said:
My wife just said some of you may be mad cause you aint got a ride to return your phone. We are offering rides to return Iphone 4's. Hit me up so we can schedule a ride pick up. :lol

Swag

thewhiterabbit said:

Tobor

thewhiterabbit said:
Nicely done. :lol

thewhiterabbit said:

sitting here brushing my teeth and i spit out white shit all over the place, man. :lol :lol :lol

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
thewhiterabbit said:
pick me up, bitch!

kitchenmotors said:
I tried to same thing with my Bumper and I'm getting the same signal strength even with the death grip. I'm also in a low signal area.
Ok, I'm fine with the idea that I just got a bum phone. I'm going to do a backup and go deal with the employees at my local Apple store. =/
burgerdog said:
How are they handling refunds for bumpers?
From my understanding (and my experience), if you've already bought one (or buy one in the next few days), they'll either credit your card or send you a check. If you wait "a week or so" to get one, then you'll just get a voucher or something and won't have to put any money down.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
thewhiterabbit said:
Address? And it may take me some time to get there. I will need your number so I can call when I am close :D
:0

sounds predatory :p

I'm in Aus, is that cooL? Is there some kind of pre-iphone screenin process we're put through? Sounds like it..

thewhiterabbit said:

tokkun

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
They're giving away free bumpers that mostly eliminate the problem. For most people, getting free cases is like Christmas again. But nerds on the Internet want Jobs to get on his knees with apologies and to soliloquize about how his company blew it. Internet nerd egos are apparently much bigger than Apple's.

I wanted Jobs to acknowledge that the problem that I and many other users experienced was real, rather than making an elaborate presentation to try to convince us that all phones behaved this way and that we must be imagining things if we thought different (no irony intended).

I don't think Apple should do a recall, and the offer of free cases is what I've thought they should do from the beginning. However the tone of the conference was condescending and dismissive towards the customers who were actually experiencing the problem and the press who had reported on it. And really, it's that dismissive attitude that has put people up-in-arms since the beginning, with the "hold different" email.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Charred Greyface said:
^^^^
WTF liu kang. An apology is no longer basic courtesy that PR reps learn in Community Relations 101? Has Apple not themselves apologized for previous problems with their devices? Is Apple the first company to be criticized for being perceived as arrogant in their response to a problem? Like seriously, WTF is up with you that a desire for a simple apology is suddenly a problem. You can't understand the principle?

C'mon man. It's not rocket science. It's been gone over several times in this thread—you're not so dumb as to not still be able to understand the issue. Let's try one more time:

• Cellular phones are popular devices. Cellphones are so popular that people realize that if you cover a cellphone entirely and squeeze it very fucking hard the cellphone will start to lose reception.
  • AT&T is popular network. AT&T is so popular that many people realized its network coverage is spotty, in some areas you'll even have misleading bars and failing reception, and that other (also popular) networks sometimes offer good signal where AT&T does not.
  • The iPhone4 is popular phone, locked to AT&T, with a unique antenna. The iPhone4 is so popular that many people realize that if you touch the antenna in a particular spot you may completely lose signal.
See the iPhone4 is a cellphone and is locked to AT&T's network. People already know what may happen to it as a result of those two factors. The iPhone4 has a unique antenna. People are just discovering what happens to it as a result of that. Understood? Or do you have to return to high school to properly learn Set Theory?

Some of you guys are sooo touchy! :lol settle down a bit. I was just posting my own issues with my phone and my wifes phone. There is no need to be a condescending prick.

By the way, all we have to do is pick up our phones and hold them in our hands in order to lose signal. We don't squeeze them tightly, death grip them, etc. Just hold them in our hands as if to use them normally. You know.. just like the iPhone! It's not rocket science!!

burgerdog

SnakeswithLasers said:
From my understanding (and my experience), if you've already bought one (or buy one in the next few days), they'll either credit your card or send you a check. If you wait "a week or so" to get one, then you'll just get a voucher or something and won't have to put any money down.
Alright, so I just have to go to the apple store and show them my receipt, or can it be done online?

burgerdog said:
Alright, so I just have to go to the apple store and show them my receipt, or can it be done online?
No, if you already have a bumper, you just need to wait for a week until they announce exactly how they're doing the refunds.

Tobor

thewhiterabbit said:
Address? And it may take me some time to get there. I will need your number so I can call when I am close :D
I don't think rides are going to get it done. We need a case of adult diapers and some baby powder. :lol

tokkun said:
I wanted Jobs to acknowledge that the problem that I and many other users experienced was real, rather than making an elaborate presentation to try to convince us that all phones behaved this way and that we must be imagining things if we thought different (no irony intended).
Where did he imply users are imagining things? He explained that it's a real problem for the entire industry including Apple's phones, and the phones really do fuck up when you hold them in certain places.

Did you miss the very first slide? He said Apple's not perfect, and Apple's phones aren't perfect.

tokkun said:

I don't think Apple should do a recall, and the offer of free cases is what I've thought they should do from the beginning. However the tone of the conference was condescending and dismissive towards the customers who were actually experiencing the problem and the press who had reported on it. And really, it's that dismissive attitude that has put people up-in-arms since the beginning, with the "hold different" email.

Return the phone than. I doubt you will do that. So instead you wanna bitch and moan cause of his tone? :lol

Wow. You bought a product. It has a flaw. They are spending money to fix it. They are also offering those of you still unhappy a FULL REFUND. Oh but his tone.

Too funny.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
WordAssassin said:
I just did the speed test. Too lazy to upload the pics but here are my results.

Sitting on my table: (4 Bars)
Download - 3724kbps
Upload - 1271kbps
Ping - 405ms

In my hand, normal grip test 1: (4 Bars)
Download - 1275kbps
Upload - 42kbps
Ping - 413ms

In my hand, normal grip test 2: (5 Bars)
Download - 1535kbps
Upload - 12kbps
Ping - 2492ms

In my hand, death grip: (3 Bars)
Download - 1332kbps
Upload - 20kbps
Ping - 28842ms

In my hand, squeezing the shit out of it so bad it hurt: (2 Bars)
Download - 1337kbps
Upload - 18kbps
Ping - 24636ms

So I have learned my phone in normal use has no problems other then horrible, horrible upload speeds :lol And in one case, the death grip actually gave me better upload AND download speeds then the other hand-held test :lol
Based on that data, your download speeds are cut more than half during normal use. That's a problem.

But, you need to get an average for each test to be more scientific.

zou

Did you pay attention to his theory about cases? It makes sense.

Except it doesn't. No other phone has an exposed antenna. And the location of the antenna doesn't lend itself to easy groping easier. It's almost like Apple's PC/Mac comparison where you need to purchase some additional software to match what any Mac ships with by default. Except in this case you need to purchase a bumper to enjoy what any other phones comes with by default.

Truly a magical device.

zou said:
Except it doesn't. No other phone has an exposed antenna. And the location of the antenna doesn't lend itself to easy groping easier. It's almost like Apple's PC/Mac comparison where you need to purchase some additional software to match what any Mac ships with by default. Except in this case you need to purchase a bumper to enjoy what any other phones comes with by default.

Truly a magical device.
Huh? What does that have to do with Jobs's theory about 3GS cases?

zou said:
Really? What's the reason that a bumper helps with the antenna issue?
It has nothing to do with bumpers. Watch the presentation.

His theory is that the iPhone 4 has more call drops than the 3GS by less than 1 extra drop out of 100 calls because the 3GS had the same design as the 3G, so people either already had cases or could buy existing ones that fit. The iPhone 4 only had a small stock of black bumpers at launch and no third-party options because of the new design, so most users are caseless. He thinks the 4 would likely have less call drops than the 3GS when both phones are naked.

I don't completely buy it because I think it excludes AT&T's network improvements in the last year, but it's not a bad theory.

Blackhead

Redarse
quadriplegicjon said:
Some of you guys are sooo touchy! :lol settle down a bit. I was just posting my own issues with my phone and my wifes phone. There is no need to be a condescending prick.

By the way, all we have to do is pick up our phones and hold them in our hands in order to lose signal. We don't squeeze them tightly, death grip them, etc. Just hold them in our hands as if to use them normally. You know.. just like the iPhone! It's not rocket science!!
My bad. Have you checked if the manufacturer has anything to say about it and/or considers such a problem worthy of a replacement?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I don't completely buy it because I think it excludes AT&T's network improvements in the last year, but it's not a bad theory.
koolaid.jpg
, bro

tokkun

Where did he imply users are imagining things? He explained that it's a real problem for the entire industry including Apple's phones, and the phones really do fuck up when you hold them in certain places.
Did you miss the very first slide? He said Apple's not perfect, and Apple's phones aren't perfect.

It was implied when they made the argument that all phones suffer from the same problem as the iPhone 4. Jobs even argued that the 3GS had the same problem but people didn't notice it because they were using cases. My personal experience with 3 different iPhone 4s was that they suffered from from an attenuation problem that was uniquely different from any other phone I have owned or used, including the 3GS.

And saying "nobody's perfect" is pretty much the definition of a petulant refusal to apologize.

thewhiterabbit said:
Return the phone than. I doubt you will do that.

Get over yourself. I already returned it and decided to keep the EVO 4G instead (not due to the antenna problem). It's cute how you seem to think that everyone who voices any criticism towards Apple is in some sort of abusive relationship where they try to break free but are pulled back in :lol

So instead you wanna bitch and moan cause of his tone? :lol
Wow. You bought a product. It has a flaw. They are spending money to fix it. They are also offering those of you still unhappy a FULL REFUND. Oh but his tone.
Too funny.

No, I was responding to a post that was talking about the tone of the apology. Best of luck in your promising career in straw man construction.

Also posted in the iPhone OT, thought it made sense to post it here as well:

So I decided to check if my phone had an antenna problem as well. I have a Samsung i8510, it's about 2 years old now (and it's due for replacement end of this month, if you catch my drift). When I just put it down on my desk it has 5 bars of signal strength. I believe there are 7 normally. When I hold it, just like I hold it when I am texting or calling, it drops to 2 bars.

Conclusion? Nothing to worry about with that iPhone. I have had my phone for over 2 years now and it has never dropped a call, even when inside a building.

Cannot wait till the 30th!

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
zou said:

Truly a magical device.

o_O

Ok.....

Jazzy Network said:
Did you read his post?

Sorry, just parroting some of the most ridiculous apologies I've read.

Company makes bad product, fumbles the shit out of the PR disaster by being embarrassingly condescending to their customers, and people get surprised that there is backlash?

elohel

3rdman said:
Giving people bumpers was the least they could do..They've been called out by Consumer Reports...They had to do something. I still think they should have been more forthcoming about the issue and they should have allowed a voluntary recall once they manufacturer a version that doesn't have this issue.

What really rubs me the wrong way was how they tried (so pathetically) to deflect criticism by showing other phones and how they behave under the death grip. That smacks of desperation and for a company that prides itself on quality, they've basically announced to the world, "You see, we suck as much as anyone else!"

do you have an iPhone 4?

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Dreams-Visions said:
thought you all would appreciate this real-world C|Net test.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/thing/9742-1_53-50090400.html

just went outside and made a phone call. starts around the 2 minute mark.

So the moral of that story is to avoid touching a 1cm section of the iphone located near the bottom of the device during a phone call.

If avoiding the 1cm section is impossible for you then you can:

A: use a free bumper
B: wait for an update
C: return it and buy a different phone.

curls said:
So the moral of that story is to avoid touching a 1cm section of the iphone located near the bottom of the device during a phone call.

If avoiding the 1cm section is impossible for you then you can:

A: use a free bumper
B: wait for an update
C: return it and buy a different phone.
for those who have not committed either way at this point, yes. that is it.

but I think everyone is on the same page about that. where arguments are taking place are around:

A: Apple's attitude during this situation

B: Apple's defensive squad attitude during this situation, essentially supporting the notion that no problems exist even in the face of fellow users complaints

C: resolution for those who bought the phone and cancelled contracts with former carriers, for whom a simple return and "go back to the phone you were using" is not an option...for whom no other AT&T phone parallels.

I'm not an iphone user anymore due to AT&T's shit network and I would be the first person to join the Apple bashing, but seriously it's a phone. Return it. Done.

Was the Toyota thing this scrutinized on GAF? I dunno but I would bet no. And that is a much bigger issue.

^ no, he's not an idiot and he did it twice. it's not the first time we've seen those results. other test (some of the very first tests) confirmed the same thing weeks ago. I've not tried the "let me call you and count to 10" thing, but others have.

It is what it is.

Jazzy Network said:
I'm not an iphone user anymore due to AT&T's shit network and I would be the first person to join the Apple bashing, but seriously it's a phone. Return it. Done.

Was the Toyota thing this scrutinized on GAF? I dunno but I would bet no. And that is a much bigger issue.
remember, bro: it's only that simple for people who were already AT&T users and didn't sell their phone already.

for those who cancelled contracts with other carriers and joined AT&T, it's a complicated and difficult spot for them. what other AT&T phone is worth talking about, you know? and if they leave AT&T, they'll have to go somewhere else and sign a 2-year contract, meaning no iPhone for years unless they want to eat a couple hundred in cancellation fees. then there are those who sold their previous iPhones and now have to contemplate buying a used phone for $200-$300 that they'll only really want to keep until the iPhone hardware update comes out in a month or two (conjecture). again, a tough spot.

the only people who have an iPhone 4 right now who are in an EASY spot are people like me who were iPhone users before and still have their phone. I can cancel my new contract today and go back to my previous phone with all my contracts features in tact with no problem whatsoever. everyone else has a small mess to consider.

Pizza Luigi said:
Also posted in the iPhone OT, thought it made sense to post it here as well:

So I decided to check if my phone had an antenna problem as well. I have a Samsung i8510, it's about 2 years old now (and it's due for replacement end of this month, if you catch my drift). When I just put it down on my desk it has 5 bars of signal strength. I believe there are 7 normally. When I hold it, just like I hold it when I am texting or calling, it drops to 2 bars.

Conclusion? Nothing to worry about with that iPhone. I have had my phone for over 2 years now and it has never dropped a call, even when inside a building.

Cannot wait till the 30th!

GTFO herewith your facts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom