• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Will Debut New Apple TV In September

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It needs an App Store. That's all. I'm tempted to buy a current model now with the hope that a firmware update (is such a thing possible?) enables the Store.

don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, current model is A5 with 8GB. While it will get iOS 9 and likely Apple Music sooner than later, I really doubt it will get AppStore and a lot of the new features of the new box.

New box has been leaked to have an A8 and 16GB, on top of Siri and a touch remote. It is basically like going from an iPhone 4s to an iPhone 6.

don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, current model is A5 with 8GB. While it will get iOS 9 and likely Apple Music sooner than later, I really doubt it will get AppStore and a lot of the new features of the new box.

New box has been leaked to have an A8 and 16GB, on top of Siri and a touch remote. It is basically like going from an iPhone 4s to an iPhone 6.

Whats the 16GB for? Cant be for downloaded movies/TV.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
True but what would make it better than Amazon Fire TV, Google TV, Xbox, Playstation, Smart TV's with access to Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, TV On Demand services etc.

The content offerings are the only game changer and I would be amazed if Apple pulled out some change in the industry with the way they offer stuff already online. A device for pushing your iphone, mac content to the TV is not a great factor for me.
Basically this. If you're already invested in the Apple ecosystem, it would be nice to have an Apple branded streaming box to keep things tied together. If it doesn't have an App Store though, I'm just going to buy a damn Roku and get it over with. I needs my Plex. At least if it has an App Store it'll be easier for a lot of third party apps to be ported since it's already iOS and Cocoa pretty much. Just some UI tweaks for most apps (Video apps) and it'll be done. I need Plex and wouldn't mind having some of those other video streaming apps on my TV. (Like StreamToMe or AirVideo)

Basically this. If you're already invested in the Apple ecosystem, it would be nice to have an Apple branded streaming box to keep things tied together. If it doesn't have an App Store though, I'm just going to buy a damn Roku and get it over with. I needs my Plex. At least if it has an App Store it'll be easier for a lot of third party apps to be ported since it's already iOS and Cocoa pretty much. Just some UI tweaks for most apps (Video apps) and it'll be done. I need Plex and wouldn't mind having some of those other video streaming apps on my TV. (Like StreamToMe or AirVideo)

Well here's the thing - Even if they announce an App Store in September, I would assume there would still be a bit of a delay before we get the new software and Apple will release TVKit at the conference. Though I suppose they could always release the App Store and just have it include all those apps you never wanted on the current AppleTV until developers start releasing their own apps. I assume there would be a bit of an expanded HomeKit focus with TVKit as well.

Gurman has a bunch of stuff on the new Apple TV:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/08/17/what-...os-9-based-apple-tv-bring-to-the-living-room/

- based on iOS 9
- "We are told that the new Apple TV iOS 9 builds internally run on both the current J33 Apple TV and future J34 model, but internal testing does not accurately forecast indicate public launch plans."
- We’ve heard that the new model looks like the prior Apple TV, but slimmer and slightly wider.

Most of that sounds like what you'd expect from a modern device like this. I wonder what they're planning on pricing it at.

jstripes

Banned
Well here's the thing - Even if they announce an App Store in September, I would assume there would still be a bit of a delay before we get the new software and Apple will release TVKit at the conference. Though I suppose they could always release the App Store and just have it include all those apps you never wanted on the current AppleTV until developers start releasing their own apps. I assume there would be a bit of an expanded HomeKit focus with TVKit as well.

If there is an AppStore immediately available, I imagine Apple's been working with top content providers and devs, under tight NDAs, to get their stuff ready for launch.

Gurman has a bunch of stuff on the new Apple TV:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/08/17/what-...os-9-based-apple-tv-bring-to-the-living-room/

- based on iOS 9
- "We are told that the new Apple TV iOS 9 builds internally run on both the current J33 Apple TV and future J34 model, but internal testing does not accurately forecast indicate public launch plans."
- We’ve heard that the new model looks like the prior Apple TV, but slimmer and slightly wider.

I'm really hoping the new AppleTV is also able to take over the role of an AirPort Express too (and I want to know more about the HomeKit hub stuff).

Also curious about Proactive things, in the sense that a basic customized morning news and weather report would be neat.

I'm betting a $99 and $199 pricing model, with extra on board storage on the pricier model

I could see something along those lines, but outright *doubling* the price just for more storage is asking consumers to swallow a lot, Apple or no.

Not ruling out those pricing tiers, but I think *if* they happen there'll be something much better about the $99 model, not just additional storage. UNLESS we're talking something similar to the AirPort Express/AirPort Extreme/Time Capsule line of products (and the new AppleTV replacing all of them), in which case yeah, I could see the $199 one coming with like a 1TB HDD for network backups in addition to the basic solid-state storage for actual device usage, or something along those lines.

I'm betting a $99 and $199 pricing model, with extra on board storage on the pricier model

I guess increased on board storage could be useful if they market it as a gaming device but I imagine most apps are going to be pretty small in size. I'm not sure if increased storage will be as important as with iPhones.

SMattera

No one is going to buy a $199 box to stream Netflix, man.

Of course -- if you want that, you can buy the $69 model.

But if it's basically an iPhone 6 without the battery and screen (+new remote with touch screen), bill of parts is probably around $140. Doubt they sell it for a loss or break-even.

ViciousDS

Banned
I could see something along those lines, but outright *doubling* the price just for more storage is asking consumers to swallow a lot, Apple or no.

Not ruling out those pricing tiers, but I think *if* they happen there'll be something much better about the $99 model, not just additional storage. UNLESS we're talking something similar to the AirPort Express/AirPort Extreme/Time Capsule line of products (and the new AppleTV replacing all of them), in which case yeah, I could see the $199 one coming with like a 1TB HDD for network backups in addition to the basic solid-state storage for actual device usage, or something along those lines.

lol why? They did the same shit with there phones for years, it wasn't until recently they dropped 32GB for 64GB being $100 more than 16GB.

Otherwise it was like 8GB $99, 16GB $199, 32GB $299 and 64GB $399

For 2 year contract phones.

People will buy it regardless Apple doesn't care

DarkFlow

Banned
Of course -- if you want that, you can buy the $69 model.

But if it's basically an iPhone 6 without the battery and screen (+new remote with touch screen), bill of parts is probably around $140. Doubt they sell it for a loss or break-even.

Roku sells there top model at $99. $199 won't fly at all, not even among apple hardcores.

Christopher

What apps would you even need for the TV?

Mine works the way it should YouTube, Netflix and iTunes movies that's all it needs to do

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It's interesting that this looks like it'll be launching directly against the new Fire TV.

Will the new ATV still require an Internet connection to work? Wouldn't mind getting one to use in a holiday home with no internet/4g.

SMattera

Roku sells there top model at $99. $199 won't fly at all, not even among apple hardcores.

The Roku can't run games. It doesn't have Siri. It doesn't integrate with your iOS devices.

Don't think of it as a Roku competitor, think of it as an alternative to Nvidia Shield. That's $199.

i think the base price will be around 129-149, but i'd buy one for 199.
as long as they don't gimp the app store, that + plus siri + apple ecosystem means they can charge a higher price for it.

giga

The Roku 3 uses the same outdated hardware as the current Apple TV. We're talking iPhone 4S-level hardware with 256MB internal storage. (And I'm pretty sure the PowerVR GPU in the A5 outclasses whatever is in the BCM11130.) If the new Apple TV is iPhone 6 level hardware with an official SDK, it's not even a comparison.

The Roku can't run games. It doesn't have Siri. It doesn't integrate with your iOS devices.

Don't think of it as a Roku competitor, think of it as an alternative to Nvidia Shield. That's $199.

Fire Stick allows you to mirror content from your iOS devices. It cost $39. The Fire TV will almost certainly cost less than $100 (its £64 in the UK) and it comes with voice control remote, runs apps etc - none of which are even relevant in the minds of the target audience in my opinion.

Most people aren't necessarily looking for a platform to buy content on - they already pay for the content through their subscriptions; they merely want to watch it on a screen larger than their laptops and tablets. It makes the hardware specs talk mute.

I'm willing to pay a premium for an Apple product, but they'd need to do something very unique to release a $200 box. Something akin to a year's free subscription to Netflix/Prime.

I'm fine with it replacing the AirPort Express, but I would rage if it replaced the Extreme or Time Capsule. I'm sorry, but networking is not in the category of "Good Enough" yet, and if Apple wants HomeKit working in a large house with tons of wireless clients, which will be the norm for families, some bare minimum AppleTV antenna array will not cut it.

lol why? They did the same shit with there phones for years, it wasn't until recently they dropped 32GB for 64GB being $100 more than 16GB.

Otherwise it was like 8GB $99, 16GB $199, 32GB $299 and 64GB $399

For 2 year contract phones.

People will buy it regardless Apple doesn't care
If you read my post more fully, you'll see that your example doesn't quite line up with your point - the 8GB $99 phones also have hardware a year older than the 16GB $199 phones.

I'm not saying Apple isn't charging people comically high prices for SSD storage - they are - but at no point have they doubled the price of an item in exchange for solely more storage, and it's that specifically that I'm calling unprecedented. As I said, if there's a $99 SKU and a $199 SKU, the difference will have to be about much more than just storage.

I'm fine with it replacing the AirPort Express, but I would rage if it replaced the Extreme or Time Capsule. I'm sorry, but networking is not in the category of "Good Enough" yet, and if Apple wants HomeKit working in a large house with tons of wireless clients, which will be the norm for families, some bare minimum AppleTV antenna array will not cut it.
Agreed.

DarkFlow

Banned

Roku 3 can run games, albert shitty ones, and also has voice search now built into the remote.

The Roku 3 uses the same outdated hardware as the current Apple TV. We're talking iPhone 4S-level hardware with 256MB internal storage. (And I'm pretty sure the PowerVR GPU in the A5 outclasses whatever is in the BCM11130.) If the new Apple TV is iPhone 6 level hardware with an official SDK, it's not even a comparison.
The roku 3 is leaps and bounds faster than the current Apple TV, even it's outdated state. The Roku 4k is supposed to drop sometime soon, I can't see them going over $99 like every other Roku that has come out.

The roku 3 is leaps and bounds faster than the current Apple TV, even it's outdated state. I the Roku 4k is supposed to drop sometime soon, I can't see them going $99 like every other Roku that has come out.

Yeah, the Roku 3 has equally ancient hardware but it's at least been getting feature additions at a rate of more than one every year and a half. The Apple TV has clearly been allowed to languish on the hardware as well as the software front. The Roku 3's got old-ass hardware but at least its OS has been pushed forward over the past five years.

Fully expect the new AppleTV to demolish it, of course.

giga

Roku 3 can run games, albert shitty ones, and also has voice search now built into the remote.

The roku 3 is leaps and bounds faster than the current Apple TV, even it's outdated state. The Roku 4k is supposed to drop sometime soon, I can't see them going over $99 like every other Roku that has come out.
In terms of what, ui speed? Sure. Apple hasn't done shit with the Apple TV in years. I don't expect the same to be true when it gets official iOS support and an A8.

DarkFlow

Banned
In terms of what, ui speed? Sure. Apple hasn't done shit with the Apple TV in years. I don't expect the same to be true when it gets official iOS support and an A8.

Do you also think Roku is just going to sit on the Roku 3 forever? I wouldn't doubt they are just waiting on Apple to drop theirs and then out comes Roku 4.

ViciousDS

Banned
If you read my post more fully, you'll see that your example doesn't quite line up with your point - the 8GB $99 phones also have hardware a year older than the 16GB $199 phones.

I'm not saying Apple isn't charging people comically high prices for SSD storage - they are - but at no point have they doubled the price of an item in exchange for solely more storage, and it's that specifically that I'm calling unprecedented. As I said, if there's a $99 SKU and a $199 SKU, the difference will have to be about much more than just storage.

iPhone 4s and 5 were flagship phones and launched exactly how i said the pricing was. They were not launched with older hardware as I made my point if you knew fully

"Just like the iPhone 4S when it first launched, the iPhone 5 will cost $199 for a 16GB version of the phone, $299 for a 32GB version and $399 for a 64GB version."

The iPhone 5 didn't launch with year old hardware and neither did the 4s

$100 more to double just the storage every time

I was only mentioning storage

giga

Do you also think Roku is just going to sit on the Roku 3 forever? I wouldn't doubt they are just waiting on Apple to drop theirs and then out comes Roku 4.
I don't expect it to have an A8 class chip and 16gb on board storage for the same price as the Roku 3.

DarkFlow

Banned
I don't expect it to have an A8 class chip and 16gb on board storage for the same price as the Roku 3.

Roku is the market leader here, so none of that shit matters. Most people don't give a shit about playing games on there netflix device. If they did, the Fire TV would have been a way bigger hit. People just want a device that can stream things smoothly, and as long as the UI isn't a clunky mess, people are happy.

ViciousDS

Banned
Roku is the market leader here, so none of that shit matters. Most people don't give a shit about playing games on there netflix device. If they did, the Fire TV would have been a way bigger hit. People just want a device that can stream things smoothly, and as long as the UI isn't a clunky mess, people are happy.

If the fire tv didn't need so much to be side loaded from a computer it would have been a much better device. Not to mention the terrible firmware support it's got.

Sadly the razer forge is a better device than the fireTV

SMattera

If people just want to watch Netflix, there wouldn't be any reason to upgrade the Apple TV at all.

This is going to be a console alternative/smart home play.

giga

If people just wanted a simple Netflix streamer, they would just get one of the many sticks out there. This is a different segment that apple can differentiate with because of their ecosystem integration and strong developer support.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Apple will reinvent TV apparently lol

I would always get a console than this. Specially Xbox One, with Windows 10 update around the corner. They will be bringing thier store too with cross buy option. Apple would definitely benifit from higher apps but come on, you get a gaming console with same price.

I really don't get your point here. The Apple TV 3 with A5 came out in March 2012 at $99, which is 6 months after the iPhone 4S came out. If the next Apple TV is released with an A8, there is no reason to assume it will be way over $100 just because it has an A8. Apple set the previous standard of releasing $99 media boxes in 2010 with the second generation Apple TV after attempting and failing to sell the original Apple TV at prices above $200.

Roku and Amazon is Apple's main competitor with these types of products. Releasing at over $100 would be a disaster. They've already (likely) preemptively dropped the price of the Apple TV 3 to $69 to prepare for the new generation to take the $99 slot. It doesn't really matter that Roku and the Apple TV 3 have had such weak hardware for the last couple years. Originally both units were quite powerful for their time and came in at very competitive prices. Both companies have made it clear that $99 is their sweet spot with price for the last 4-5 years. Maybe there will be a $150 model with more space, but I'm willing to bet the next generation Apple TV will come in at $99 with the base model at the least. The Fire TV is also fairly powerful and plays quite a bit of games, and it comes in at $99.

Like someone else mentioned, Roku 3 isn't going to be around forever. Rook 4 will probably come out soon, and it will likely definitely be $99 with very competitive hardware as was what the Roku 3 was to the Apple TV 3. If either company decides to go overboard with price, they might as well crown the Fire TV yesterday.

giga

I really don't get your point here. The Apple TV 3 with A5 came out in March 2012 at $99, which is 6 months after the iPhone 4S came out. If the next Apple TV is released with an A8, there is no reason to assume it will be way over $100 just because it has an A8. Apple set the previous standard of releasing $99 media boxes in 2010 with the second generation Apple TV after attempting and failing to sell the original Apple TV at prices above $200.

Roku and Amazon is Apple's main competitor with these types of products. Releasing at over $100 would be a disaster. They've already (likely) preemptively dropped the price of the Apple TV 3 to $69 to prepare for the new generation to take the $99 slot. It doesn't really matter that Roku and the Apple TV 3 have had such weak hardware for the last couple years. Originally both units were quite powerful for their time and came in at very competitive prices. Both companies have made it clear that $99 is their sweet spot with price for the last 4-5 years. Maybe there will be a $150 model with more space, but I'm willing to bet the next generation Apple TV will come in at $99 with the base model at the least. The Fire TV is also fairly powerful and plays quite a bit of games, and it comes in at $99.
Sure, I don't doubt it will be under $200. I just had major issues comparing such a device to the underpowered Roku 3.

Sure, I don't doubt it will be under $200. I just had major issues comparing such a device to the underpowered Roku 3.

I'd be shocked if the Apple TV doesn't come out at $99, A8 or no A8. I don't think anyone is directly comparing it to the Roku 3. At that point, it'll be up to Roku to release their next revision to maintain competitiveness (which they likely will). There may be a small period of time where the Roku 3 and Apple TV 4 sell at the same price, and obviously Apple has the clear advantage for that small period of time, but that's all it will be most likely. Just a small period of time, and then parity in hardware will come. I mean look at the current Fire TV. The Fire TV absolutely obliterates both devices' current iterations in performance and costs $99. Amazon has every reason to sell at more of a premium considering how much better the hardware is, but they don't. It's pretty much the sweet spot for these companies.

EDIT: just realized you weren't the one who predicted a $200 price point. my bad.

Somnid

Somnid

What is the breakdown between the Fire TV and the Fire TV Stick though? I am guessing the stick is outselling the regular one.

Amazon says it's their fastest selling device ever so it's probably a pretty substantial percentage. Furthermore it sounds like they'll launch a new version of the stick soonish but no word about a new box.

Amazon says it's their fastest selling device ever so it's probably a pretty substantial percentage. Furthermore it sounds like they'll launch a new version of the stick soonish but no word about a new box.

And looks like the actual box is out of stock, so maybe a refresh is soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom