• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Will Debut New Apple TV In September

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Absolutely can't wait for this. I understand it's a niche product, but for me, it's the front-end to my Plex Media Server running on my NAS, only it's tiny, silent, and outputs audio to my soundbar. (I run an Apple TV + Sonos Playbar + other speakers setup, meaning I can Airplay to my Apple TV, and it outputs to the speaker mesh in my living room.)

Provided PlexConnect works on this thing, it's a Day One purchase.
Plex will most likely build a client app like they've done with iOS.

Just imagine

The ability to have all the channels roku has
The ability to have live streaming tv from normal cable lineups like sling tv
The ability to dvr record them
The a ability to have all your iPhone apps on your tv
The ability to do PIP between live tv and apps on your tv
Controls all apps from your phone
Stream from your phone to your tv

If this comes them it's game over as there is no Spotify in this space

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It is quite close though. Chromecast has sold 17 million over one generation while Apple TV has sold more than 25 million over three.

This still doesn't get you to where you want to be, because it's not clear how many the Apple TV sold since the Chromecast came out and it's also not clear they're in direct competition and it's also not clear if the new device will be something more like a Chromecast in price, something more like a Roku in price, or something more like a premium Fire TV set in price.

Certainly I agree there's probably a broader market demand for a plug-in dongle for phone streaming than there is for a dedicated set-top box, especially as TVs increasingly have Netflix and the other biggies built in, but then I think that asks the question "what justifies, say, the $99 pricepoint".

Kinsella

Banned
Those first few people seem to think this is about a literal Apple TV. The actual unit was refreshed in 2012 and it was never a device that received an annual refresh.
How would you discern that? Perhaps they're like me and thought it was about the much rumoured about next iteration of Apple TV. I've been waiting for it for quite some time.

Bluetooth remote or no sale.

El Cap has a driver for a new BT remote so seems likely:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/25/4k-imac-2015-apple-tv-remote-touch/

Macs aside, a new file inside of El Capitan seems to confirm that Apple has been working on a new Bluetooth Remote Control. According to our scan of the file’s contents, this new piece of hardware integrates a dedicated Bluetooth wireless chip, can connect with devices via an infrared sensor, and includes a Multi-Touch trackpad with inertial scrolling support. There is also a reference to what could be Force Touch support, but we are less certain about that. The device also appears to support audio, which could indicate either playback or input for Siri. This file does not exist in earlier, public versions of OS X, nor the OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite release that is also in beta.

Sorcerer

I'm pretty sure we will get kicked in the balls again in September.

Apple "announces" the new Apple TV..... for some time later in the year.

Raistlin

No one but UHD diehards care about UHD.
It's a streaming box. That's where a majority of UHD content will be coming from for some time.

But what else is new for Apple. They've been consistently behind the times with this device.

The bigger issue is how infrequently they update the hardware. That means they still won't have UHD even when it's more than just for 'diehards'.

LCfiner

It's a streaming box. That's where a majority of UHD content will be coming from for some time.

But what else is new for Apple. They've been consistently behind the times with this device.

The bigger issue is how infrequently they update the hardware. That means they still won't have UHD even when it's more than just for 'diehards'.

To me this sounds like you don’t think they’ll update the hardware in the next 5 years… maybe even longer. UHD isn’t going to be a major selling point anytime soon. Most people just do not care.

Dalek

tumblr_ldmgvcDb3m1qc489fo1_500.png

"WE GOT UHD HERE!"

giga

In the future, sure. But we're still years away from UHD content becoming mainstream. That's why I said it's misguided to think regular people won't buy this because of no UHD support.

And I don't think your second conclusion will hold once the SDK comes out. That will require more regular updates.

Troy

Banned
In the future, sure. But we're still years away from UHD content becoming mainstream. That's why I said it's misguided to think regular people won't buy this because of no UHD support.

And I don't think your second conclusion will hold once the SDK comes out. That will require more regular updates.

And we're years away from people not needing regular USB connections, but that didn't stop Apple from removing them from their new computers. They could, and should, add support for UHD. Why be so incredibly forward thinking when it means removing value than when it comes to actually adding value.

rezuth

And we're years away from people not needing regular USB connections, but that didn't stop Apple from removing them from their new computers. They could, and should, add support for UHD. Why be so incredibly forward thinking when it means removing value than when it comes to actually adding value.

The problem is that it doesn't actually do much besides add cost to the device.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Didn't they do a 1080P refresh to the current Apple TV pretty quickly though, after launching with 720P? 4K shouldn't be a big thing

Serious question: What can an AppleTV do that a PS4, Wii U or Xbox One can't do, other than stream your iTunes library?

Troy

Banned
Didn't they do a 1080P refresh to the current Apple TV pretty quickly though, after launching with 720P? 4K shouldn't be a big thing

Yep, but they also used it as an excuse to make it so people couldnt jailbreak the new model, which I didn't mind because I was able to sell mine for 150 dollars, which I then used to buy the 1080p version for 65 dollars.

Serious question: What can an AppleTV do that a PS4, Wii U or Xbox One can't do, other than stream your iTunes library?

It can do all those things the PS4, XB1 etc can do, but slower and with a clunkier UI. I'm guessing the new hardware will have a UI and OS that isn't terrible though. But to be fair, it has infinitely more apps than the PS4 and Wii U. From your list, only the Xbox One has a better selection.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It was a hardware change wasn't it? Didn't get it till the 3rd gen I think.

Yeah it was a new chip. A5 maybe. Crazy to think Apple TV still sells with that chip. That's probably the reason for them to begrudgingly update the hardware now, making those chips is not economical.

SMattera

If it gets access to the app store, they'll update it every year going forward. They'll put in the latest processor.

The Wii U is an absolute joke for streaming media. The PS4 is decent, and the Xbox One is great. But they are 4-5x more expensive than the current Apple TV. Even if Apple bumps the price to $150/200, it'll still be cheaper.

Lebron

The only thing the X1 doesn't have worth a damn is HBO Now(i think), but it shits on the AppleTV in every other category outside of price (duh). PS4 is decent enough. Wii U is lol.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Another huge thing (imho) when it comes to comparing to consoles is power consumption. Both PS4 and XBONE are well over 50w for media streaming. Apple TV IIRC is like 4w. Not to mention significantly faster to switch between services. Finally if you are deep in Apple's ecosystem, AirPlay then is another crazy convenient source to play from (OS X or iOS). Also Apple forces UI consistency which is really nice.

My PS4 sees regular usage, but for streaming I only use it for Amazon. Everything else is better from ATV. Amazon I just don't want to tie up my iPad or iPhone to play it from my ATV.

Glad Apple is going forward with this even though their service isn't ready. Need a new one. Hoping for HDMI-CEC.

Roku will always be king in terms of app selection though. They have everything.
If Apple actually includes AppStore look for Roku to be dethroned. The only reason Roku has retained its title is because up to now it's been way easier to get services on Roku than anyone else. With access to AppStore that could change.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

AirPlay if you have an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. Super easy to stream any video (ie from websites etc.) from those devices to TV with an Apple TV.

Van Owen

Banned
If Apple actually includes AppStore look for Roku to be dethroned. The only reason Roku has retained its title is because up to now it's been way easier to get services on Roku than anyone else. With access to AppStore that could change.

Apple still likely won't have Amazon, Vudu, Google Play, etc though.

If there's an App Store, I can see Google Play, Amazon and Vudu. They won't have options to purchase straight from the Apple TV though because of the cut Apple wants.

All I've really wanted from my Apple TV was Amazon Instant Video and Vudu. Google Play movie/tv show purchases show up in YouTube anyway.

Roku has a bunch of apps but the vast majority are garbage. Just getting some of the heavy hitters on the Apple TV all store will help it a lot.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
To me this sounds like you don’t think they’ll update the hardware in the next 5 years… maybe even longer. UHD isn’t going to be a major selling point anytime soon. Most people just do not care.

It's practically the only reason people are upgrading their tvs and you can't even find 1080p sets in certain price and feature bands now. It's a thing.

rezuth

It's practically the only reason people are upgrading their tvs and you can't even find 1080p sets in certain price and feature bands now. It's a thing.

I highly doubt the common person is going to upgrade their TV because of UHD. I think the only reason people today upgrade their TV is because the old one died.

4K delivery probably won't be common enough until 3-5 years. Relying on up scaling content right now if you have a 4K TV is okay. Not a deal breaker.

Hopefully they're waiting until they can do it right with HDMI 2.0, 10-bit color and everyone having fast broadband.

It needs an App Store. That's all. I'm tempted to buy a current model now with the hope that a firmware update (is such a thing possible?) enables the Store.

SMattera

It needs an App Store. That's all. I'm tempted to buy a current model now with the hope that a firmware update (is such a thing possible?) enables the Store.

The problem with the current model is that it has virtually no storage, and it's rocking a gimped version of the iPhone 4S processor. I can't see it getting app store support.

subrock

The problem with the current model is that it has virtually no storage, and it's rocking a gimped version of the iPhone 4S processor. I can't see it getting app store support.
Furthermore, that would be super annoying for developers having to straddle such an insane gap in performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom