• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm thinking of doing a general iPad Mini thread with all the rumours and us speculating up until the event (hopefully) in October. Should I do that?
Nah, seems too soon. There's really not much to talk about that hasn't been discussed to hell at this point, anyway. I'd wait for when the inevitable new batch of leaks and sources start rolling in to post an OT.

Zeth

I'm thinking of doing a general iPad Mini thread with all the rumours and us speculating up until the event (hopefully) in October. Should I do that?

I'd wait for another round of rumors. We'll probably here something soon from Gruber/Rene Ritchie/etc. if it's happening.

Vyer

How do you know which one your car is using though? My car specifically has a mode called iPod. Did they just name it that or are they using iPod Out? If it's the latter then it reaches way beyond just a handful of BMWs.

Hey Marty, I remember you asking; did you guys decide to go with a car without the bluetooth connection? You might have been looking at Sync specifically, I think.

numble

Seems like the first time a product refresh was announced a month ahead of sale (iPod refreshes). Probably why there were no hardware leaks (I know some drawings were released though).

Pachimari

Nah, seems too soon. There's really not much to talk about that hasn't been discussed to hell at this point, anyway. I'd wait for when the inevitable new batch of leaks and sources start rolling in to post an OT.

I'd wait for another round of rumors. We'll probably here something soon from Gruber/Rene Ritchie/etc. if it's happening.
Yeah I agree. I'm just excited. :D

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Apple has posted the design schematics for the phone for case and accessory manufacturers with detailed dimensions.

https://developer.apple.com/resources/cases/dimensions/iPhone-5-dimensions.pdf

I figure this will interest others here *cough*Sentry*cough*

It shows antenna areas not to be obstructed by metal, which sort of confirms reinforces my suspicion that the top and bottom case bands are no longer the cellular antennas and they are now internal.

The reason the iPhone 4 bands were steel was so that the could be used as antenna, the 5 has switched the casing material to aluminum but apple cited it as a poor (or unusable) antenna for the 4. They switched (presumably) because the aluminum is lighter, easier to mill, and as a bonus they could anodize it black.

This then makes me wonder why they have included the plastic spacer gaps if the frame no longer plays a part of the antenna. Perhaps these provide a few microns of flexibility for assembly and tolerance purposes?

mysteries...

EDIT: this could all be a misunderstanding of the material limitations on my part, and perhaps the aluminum end bands function perfectly fine as antennae.

giga

Apple has posted the design schematics for the phone for case and accessory manufacturers with detailed dimensions.

It shows antenna areas not to be obstructed by metal, which sort of confirms reinforces my suspicion that the top and bottom case bands are no longer the cellular antennas and they are now internal.

The reason the iPhone 4 bands were steel was so that the could be used as antenna, the 5 has switched the casing material to aluminum but apple cited it as a poor (or unusable) antenna for the 4. They switched (presumably) because the aluminum is lighter, easier to mill, and as a bonus they could anodize it black.

This then makes me wonder why they have included the plastic spacer gaps if the frame no longer plays a part of the antenna. Perhaps these provide a few microns of flexibility for assembly and tolerance purposes?

mysteries...

EDIT: this could all be a misunderstanding of the material limitations on my part, and perhaps the aluminum end bands function perfectly fine as antennae.
zwIe+

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks. Would have been helpful if I had done that huh? ;)

The recommended camera cut out is huge.

Not really much bigger than the 4S keep out, its wider since they are further apart with the mic in between, but it is the same height.
edit: in the picture giga posted that is just the call out for the detail area, not the actual keep out area.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I think a headline feature that's bound to be included at some point is nightvision/IR black and white zero light photography. Seriously, all they need to do is make the images really soft and find a way to around the glowing devil eye thing and BOOM. That's a killer feature, IMO.

Hey Marty, I remember you asking; did you guys decide to go with a car without the bluetooth connection? You might have been looking at Sync specifically, I think.
We were looking at the 2013 Ford Escape but held off with all the recalls regarding possible engine fire. So we're back on the drawing board for that. That would be a car my wife drives. For this topic I was talking about the car I currently drive. While it has Bluetooth audio, it's vastly inferior to the iPod interface since I can't browse the contents.

numble

Thanks. Would have been helpful if I had done that huh? ;)

Not really much bigger than the 4S keep out, its wider since they are further apart with the mic in between, but it is the same height.
edit: in the picture giga posted that is just the call out for the detail area, not the actual keep out area.
No, they are to not obstruct the glass backs with metal.

mysteries...

Uh anything metal can act as an antenna. All that matters is that it's the correct length to match the wavelength of the cell signals.

noah111

Still Alive

I figure this will interest others here *cough*Sentry*
I already saw this, but for what it's worth I thought of you when I did. ;b Saved it for future reference ofc, always nice to have the exact numbers on hand.

We all assumed from the start that the glass backs were where they'd be shoving much of the antennas, but it is interesting that they retain the strips alongside the rim if so. Perhaps they both still serve a purpose?

Or as mentioned, it's simply easier on the manufacturing process that way.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder why they don't make a new flash based classic. Huge battery life, physical controls 128 or 256 NAND.

Just make it a premium price for thd 8 people who actually want one. :p

Tobor

yup.

hey, at least they still sell the old model. They could probably take it off the store and it wouldn't even make a blip in their financials.

I'm amazed they haven't killed it yet. You and I have been having this discussion for years now. lol. Every time we're certain the Classic is being aced, it just keeps limping along.

They must have a stockpile of them in a warehouse somewhere they can't get rid of.

I see thanks for the clarification.

Yeah didn't mean to seem like a dick or anything. Was on my phone so wanted to keep it short and sweet. :)

The difference is likely the antenna's are placed such that you can't inadvertently "short" two antennas with your hand similar to the fix with the 4S.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah didn't mean to seem like a dick or anything. Was on my phone so wanted to keep it short and sweet. :)

The difference is likely the antenna's are placed such that you can't inadvertently "short" two antennas with your hand similar to the fix with the 4S.
No hard feelings. Didn't seem dickish, and I was talking out of my realm anyway, my background is more design than engineering

Anyone see the new GS3 comparison ad? Hilarious. Love the "totally different cable" line, as well as listing random software shit from touchwiz (15 lines or so, including "palm swipe to capture" and "shake to update", etc) in that column, and not a single iOS feature on the other side. If I didn't know any better, I'd assume the iPhone didn't even come with an OS from that ad.

I mean, I know these types of comparisons are never objective, but this one takes the cake in its cynical, parody like hilarity.

YLzCg.jpg

Oh, and about that "totally different cable"

Ajjrh.png

Oh, and about that "totally different cable"

Ajjrh.png

That's just as completely stupid. Just because Samsung in the past did things a certain way doesn't change the fact that they currently use a common standard where as Apple still does not. Apple just changed their design a few days ago and still brought out something proprietary. If anything, Samsung bringing this up is not only reasonable, but valid. But I guess I shouldn't expect objectivity out of you given your post history.

Einbroch

Banned
That's just as completely stupid. Just because Samsung in the past did things a certain way doesn't change the fact that they currently use a common standard where as Apple still does not. Apple just changed their design a few days ago and still brought out something proprietary. If anything, Samsung bringing this up is not only reasonable, but valid. But I guess I shouldn't expect objectivity out of you given your post history.

While it is completely valid, I have 3 i-device chargers that put me out a whole $2.

While it is completely valid, I have 3 i-device chargers that put me out a whole $2.

It's not about cost; it's about convenience and standards. Anyways, the point is it seems to be not very objective and quite biased to try to tear apart that aspect of Samsung's ad. There are things to criticize or make fun of but that isn't one of them if you're being objective.

You take issue with the cable comparison, yet you find that ad objective? I see. The whole ad was ridiculous, and I decided to post a tongue in cheek photo about their "totally different cable" line. The fact that you took issue with that, and not any of the ridiculous aspects of the ad, is simply fascinating.

You take issue with the cable comparison, yet you find that ad objective? I see.

What? Where did I say the ad was objective? I said if you look at it objectively, the cable comparison is valid and true. So I'm pointing out your lack of objectivity being a fairly known Apple supporter and trying to discredit the cable comparison. That's the only thing I said.

Again.

Mini and micro USB can not do what lightning does.

Again.

I understand that the port is multipurpose, but as shown in one of the threads, other companies have been able to use it to do things to output HDMI by modifying the standard. This allows multiple purposes, but still having the ability to use a standard USB for your traditional USB hook up.

What? Where did I say the ad was objective? I said if you look at it objectively, the cable comparison is valid and true. So I'm pointing out your lack of objectivity being a fairly known Apple supporter and trying to discredit the cable comparison. That's the only thing I said.

My point was that "totally new cable" even being mentioned, and listed as a negative bullet point is pretty cynical and ridiculous in the first place. I don't think any sane, rational person would say it's a bad thing that this aspect of the phone is being modernized, updated, and improved. Also, your insinuation that using a standard USB connector would have been 'better' is pure subjectivity from your end, as there's a litany of reasons why doing so would not have been an automatically better solution, in terms of Apple's engineering, design, and capability goals of the phone and the cable. I would rather Apple design the best connector it knows how for their own phone, instead of relying on some random standard that may not meet their feature expectations and performance standards. I would have been utterly shocked if they has a mini usb connection on the phone, as this kind of thing is not in Apple's DNA. Controlling the standard and quality has its advantages.

ie: http://brockerhoff.net/blog/2012/09/13/boom-2/

My point was that "totally new cable" even being mentioned, and listed as a negative bullet point is pretty cynical and ridiculous in the first place. I don't think any sane, rational person would say it's a bad thing that this aspect of the phone is being modernized, updated, and improved.

No it's not because it's pointing out that despite an update to a cable it is moving from one proprietary format to another proprietary format rather than a standard interface that is used industry wide on multiple products. So not only are they breaking compatibility with your existing items, they're not at least throwing you a bone of going to something more standard. That's the point of it. Bringing up the past isn't relevant when in the present day and age this is where things stand. I think any sane, rational person would be annoyed with their existing devices no longer being compatible, so yes they might think it's a bad thing.

No it's not because it's pointing out that despite an update to a cable it is moving from one proprietary format to another proprietary format rather than a standard interface that is used industry wide on multiple products. So not only are they breaking compatibility with your existing items, they're not at least throwing you a bone of going to something more standard. That's the point of it. Bringing up the past isn't relevant when in the present day and age this is where things stand. I think any sane, rational person would be annoyed with their existing devices no longer being compatible, so yes they might think it's a bad thing.

Please enlighten me as to all the advantages of using a standard usb connection, which outweigh the mountain of engineering, design, and technical factors Apple would have had for this decision? No really, I'm curious. The other end is usb. Who cares? These cables will become as ubiquitious as micro-usb, or whatever the hell it's called. You'll be able to buy them everywhere. Is it a price thing? What's so incredible about having a micro-usb, that it's worth compromising on aspects that Apple doesnt want to compromise on? How would it improve the device and the experience of its owners? Be specific. Simply being reversible is going to give more real-world, daily, tangible benefits to every SINGLE iPhone user when plugging/unplugging the device than the abstract advantages (which you seem unable to name) of using micro-usb. I would be disappointed if a company aiming to create the best phone in the world decided to dilute and taint it's excellence with a 'designed by committee' standard, which caters to the lowest common denominator and is not optimized for the device in question itself, not to mention lacking in critical capabilities and features. Would it be able to charge an iPad? No? You think it makes sense to have different cables for iPhone and iPad? Or did you not think that far enough? What part of 'micro/mini usb does not have the features required for accessories' do you not understand?

People keep asking why Apple didn’t opt for the micro-USB connector. The answer is simple: that connector isn’t smart enough. It has only 5 pins: +5V, Ground, 2 digital data pins, and a sense pin, so most of the dock connector functions wouldn’t work – only charging and syncing would. Also, the pins are so small that no current plug/connector manufacturer allows the 2A needed for iPad charging.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Please enlighten me as to all the advantages of using a standard usb connection, which outweigh the mountain of engineering, design, and technical factors Apple would have had for this decision? No really, I'm curious. The other end is usb. Who cares? These cables will become as ubiquitious as micro-usb, or whatever the hell it's called. You'll be able to buy them everywhere. Is it a price thing? What's so incredible about having a micro-usb, that it's worth compromising on aspects that Apple doesnt want to compromise on? How would it improve the device and the experience of its owners? Be specific. Simply being reversible is going to give more real-world, daily, tangible benefits to iPhone users when plugging/unplugging the device than the abstract advantages (which you seem unable to name) of using micro-usb.
Amazing stuff.

Please enlighten me as to all the advantages of using a standard usb connection, which outweigh the mountain of engineering, design, and technical factors Apple would have had for this decision? No really, I'm curious. The other end is usb. Who cares? These cables will become as ubiquitious as micro-usb, or whatever the hell it's called. You'll be able to buy them everywhere. Is it a price thing? What's so incredible about having a micro-usb, that it's worth compromising on aspects that Apple doesnt want to compromise on? How would it improve the device and the experience of its owners? Be specific. Simply being reversible is going to give more real-world, daily, tangible benefits to every SINGLE iPhone user when plugging/unplugging the device than the abstract advantages (which you seem unable to name) of using micro-usb. I would be disappointed if a company aiming to create the best phone in the world decided to dilute and taint it's excellence with a 'designed by committee' standard, which caters to the lowest common denominator and is not optimized for the device in question itself, not to mention lacking in critical capabilities and features. Would it be able to charge an iPad? No? You think it makes sense to have different cables for iPhone and iPad? Or did you not think that far enough? What part of 'micro/mini usb does not have the features required for accessories' do you not understand?

I don't know why I bother, we all know where you stand and there's nothing that Apple could do wrong in your eyes. Using USB would mean using a standard that goes beyond Apple. You don't think for one second that Apple does this so that they can control and profit over this proprietary format? You don't think one of the best technology companies in the world can't come up with something when others have? Having a standard means you don't have to carry multiple proprietary cables, that you don't have to rely on proprietary cables being available to you since you're more likely to find standard cables than proprietary cables on a whim, it means not having to replace or adapt everything because you decide to change your proprietary format one from one to another. Why do you think the Lightning cable will be so common when even the current 30 pin is not when in comparison. Plus, do you really think people are happy about having to replace everything or find a way to adapt all their current 30 pin connections?

As for your second quote, why did you ignore the follow up?

This is bullshit. Lots of devices put 2A over microUSB. The HP Touchpad and Nexus 7 does this.

border

ou don't think for one second that Apple does this so that they can control and profit over this proprietary format?

What control? There's a Chinese take out restaurant near me that sells knockoff iPhone cables for like 2 bucks. What is there to suggest they'll have any more control over Lightning cables than the previous ones?

What control? There's a Chinese take out restaurant near me that sells knockoff iPhone cables for like 2 bucks. What is there to suggest they'll have any more control over Lightning cables than the previous ones?

Apple charges a license fee for usage of the proprietary connector in devices. That license fee is an element of control vs an open standard.

Agreed.

And said cable will not cost me more than 20 bucks.

I don't know why I bother, we all know where you stand and there's nothing that Apple could do wrong in your eyes. Using USB would mean using a standard that goes beyond Apple. You don't think for one second that Apple does this so that they can control and profit over this proprietary format? You don't think one of the best technology companies in the world can't come up with something when others have? Having a standard means you don't have to carry multiple proprietary cables, that you don't have to rely on proprietary cables being available to you since you're more likely to find standard cables than proprietary cables on a whim, it means not having to replace or adapt everything because you decide to change your proprietary format one from one to another. Why do you think the Lightning cable will be so common when even the current 30 pin is not when in comparison. Plus, do you really think people are happy about having to replace everything or find a way to adapt all their current 30 pin connections?

As for your second quote, why did you ignore the follow up?

That's all theoretical inconveniences, and in my experience 30 pin dock connector cables are way, way more common that micro-usb, and I can actually find them 'on a whim' unlike micro-usb.

Here's a question for you: Can micro-usb do HDMI out? Can the 30 pin connector? Do you think its a good idea for Apple to move to a connection that removes tons of features, such as this, which it previously had, and basically destroy the diverse and lucrative iPhone accessory market overnight, that relies on capabilities such as this? Because thats why micro-usb would have done.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Here's a question for you: Can micro-usb do HDMI out? Can the 30 pin connector? Do you think its a good idea for Apple to move to a connection that removes tons of features, such as this, which it previously had, and basically destroy the diverse and lucrative iPhone accessory market overnight, that relies on capabilities such as this? Because thats why micro-usb would have done.
A simple google search would have revealed that yes, it can. MHL.

Argyle

Again.

Actually I think that the port on the Galaxy S3 can do all those things. Someone was saying it was a new type of connector (but a standard one I think...I'll edit if I can find it) that is micro USB + 5-6 extra pins (you can see them if you look into the port).

This is why existing MHL adapters (for HDMI + charging through Micro USB) don't work on the S3 without another adapter.

Edit: Maybe it is just a variant of MHL...as noted in the below link, MHL is connector agnostic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_High-Definition_Link#Connectors

That's all theoretical inconveniences, and in my experience 30 pin dock connector cables are way, way more common that micro-usb, and I can actually find them 'on a whim' unlike micro-usb.

Just because you are an Apple fanatic who doesn't own anything that uses micro USB doesn't make the 30 pin dock connectors more ubiquitous in reality. There are a ton of dumbphones that charge via micro USB.

It's irrelevant anyway because micro USB is definitely much more ubiquitous than Lightning, there's no way you can argue that.

Well, let's see what Apple does. Given that the adapters are more complex than simply connecting wires together, let's see how hard it is for people to clone the Lightning to 30-pin adapters. I've been screwed in the past by specification changes on new Apple devices (my iPod car kit, which never worked properly with my then-new day 1 iPod Classic 160GB because they changed the spec somehow), so who knows...(for the record, even though it wasn't the cause of my problem, the transition to iPod Video->Classic disabled the use of every existing A/V cable produced to that point, including Apple's, IIRC, mainly because they wanted to lock out unlicensed accessories via a lockout chip.)

Skunkers

Honest question: Am I the only one that finds it weird that Apple of all companies does not have a mobile friendly website? I know the Apple Store app contains a lot of stuff, mainly the shop section of the website, but I was just trying to read the What's New In IOS 6 page of their site on my iPhone and it seems so silly.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Honest question: Am I the only one that finds it weird that Apple of all companies does not have a mobile friendly website? I know the Apple Store app contains a lot of stuff, mainly the shop section of the website, but I was just trying to read the What's New In IOS 6 page of their site on my iPhone and it seems so silly.
The most popular theory is so that it can always showcase how well their mobile devices can render a full desktop-focused site.

RevoDS

Anyone see the new GS3 comparison ad? Hilarious. Love the "totally different cable" line, as well as listing random software shit from touchwiz (15 lines or so, including "palm swipe to capture" and "shake to update", etc) in that column, and not a single iOS feature on the other side. If I didn't know any better, I'd assume the iPhone didn't even come with an OS from that ad.

I mean, I know these types of comparisons are never objective, but this one takes the cake in its cynical, parody like hilarity.

It's really sad. The Galaxy S III does have some actual advantages over the iPhone, but by only showing ridiculous trademarks, Samsung isn't even resonating with consumers. I consider myself rather knowledgeable about technology, at least more so than your average consumer, and yet I have absolutely no idea what Group Cast, ShareShot, Palm Touch Mute Pause or Smart Alert mean and why I want to have them instead of the iPhone's features.

The idea of the ad itself isn't bad, but the execution is horrendous.

coldfoot

Banned
All USB connectors suck because they are not reversible and I am sick of inserting them the wrong way all the time. The only failure of the Lightning connector is that the other end is USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom