• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppu

Nope. Only bluetooth. Missed opportunity imo, especially since it has a lot of iOS elements already. Maybe it's just so weak that it wouldn't be able to handle any kind of internet transference. :lol

Speaking of the nano, I still think my mockup last week was kind of better than the final product (unfortunately);

Agreed. Wow that really looks pretty. I like the new Nanos but the white bezel ruins it. White bezel really only goes with white devices, IMO.

x-Lundz-x

KingKong

There's no reason for them not to release the Mini just before the holiday season considering how insanely profitable it will be

Screw the pricing, the 64GB iPod touch looks goooooood. I'm considering one now I know it's getting the same IPS screen as the iPhone 5. Definitely suprised about that.

I'll still wait until the iPad Mini event, though. Curious to see how that's going to turn out.

iPod touch or iPad mini..hmmm

noah111

Still Alive
I'll still wait until the iPad Mini event, though. Curious to see how that's going to turn out.

iPod touch or iPad mini..hmmm
What do you currently own? Really depends on what you do most day to day. Not to mention I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad mini didn't even get a 64gb option, so if size is important to you, there's that too.

Nothing excites me. I am basically waiting for a 128 gb flash full sized ipod. And my 5th gen Nano is still kicking. I need the physical buttons still because that is the one I take out snowboarding, and I need to be able to hit the buttons through my coat or pants pocket somewhat easily. I know they have the headphone controls, but those are way way harder to hit when you have mittens on.

BTW, the iPod classic is still the best music machine out there IMO

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I think people comparing the new iPod touches to the iPad mini is doing it wrong. They should be comparing it to the previous gen touch.

Mini is a repackaged iPad 2, and though the shell is new all the internals, screen cameras etc will be previous gen. I don't see how 299$ is an absurd price just because of overlap with the touch. 199 is the entry level touch price, not 299$

LCfiner

Nothing excites me. I am basically waiting for a 128 gb flash full sized ipod. And my 5th gen Nano is still kicking. I need the physical buttons still because that is the one I take out snowboarding, and I need to be able to hit the buttons through my coat or pants pocket somewhat easily. I know they have the headphone controls, but those are way way harder to hit when you have mittens on.

BTW, the iPod classic is still the best music machine out there IMO

Apple is not going to make this. please stop waiting. they didn't even acknowledge the ipod classic as something they make when they ran through their lineup

but, what you can do, if you have the money and time, is get an ipod classic (new or used) and replace the HDD with an SSD. large SSDs might be pricey but it'll give you the capacity you want, the speed and reliability of the SSD, and the hard buttons you need.

there might even be services online that do it for you, if you don't want to open up anything yourself.

(if another company out there is making large capacity, but still very portable players, using SSD ,then this might be an option but I've not yet heard of one.)

What do you currently own? Really depends on what you do most day to day. Not to mention I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad mini didn't even get a 64gb option, so if size is important to you, there's that too.

I sold my iPad 3 and just have a MacBook Pro right now. I mainly used it for browsing, gaming, music, videos, etc. I also used it for note taking at meetings, etc. However, it was my main computing device at that time. I've recently purchased a MacBook so my need for the iPad sort of decreased. But I still love the idea of having a place to store my music, video, games, apps and be able to take pictures/video too. I could go with either the Mini or iPod touch really...sort of comes down to how portable of a device I want. I like the thought of always being able to have the iPod with me (particularly since it has a great screen and camera now).

There is really only one application that is iPad-specific that I really liked and that's Notability. However, the dev said they were working on a iPhone/iPod touch version as well.

Space is certainly an issue as 32GB is the absolute minimum I would go with an iOS device. 64GB is nice and that's why the Touch is appealing now. It will be interesting to see what the storage options are for the Mini. If it's 8/16GB then it's a no-brainer...I'm going with the iPod touch. I'd like to to keep my purchase around the $400 mark. So it really depends on what the higher configurations of the Mini are.

noah111

Still Alive
I sold my iPad 3 and just have a MacBook Pro right now. I mainly used it for browsing, gaming, music, videos, etc. I also used it for note taking at meetings, etc. However, it was my main computing device at that time. I've recently purchased a MacBook so my need for the iPad sort of decreased. But I still love the idea of having a place to store my music, video, games, apps and be able to take pictures/video too. I could go with either the Mini or iPod touch really...sort of comes down to how portable of a device I want. I like the thought of always being able to have the iPod with me (particularly since it has a great screen and camera now).

There is really only one application that is iPad-specific that I really liked and that's Notability. However, the dev said they were working on a iPhone/iPod touch version as well.

Space is certainly an issue as 32GB is the absolute minimum I would go with an iOS device. 64GB is nice and that's why the Touch is appealing now.

I'm really curious how the screen for the Mini turns out. It likely won't be retina so that's a knock against reading (wouldn't be a problem on the iPod touch 4in screen).
Yeah, doesn't seem like an iPad mini would suit you to well tbh. And considering the entry point price will probably be for 16gb, you'd just end up paying more for 32 anyway, so that dithers the price factor for you.

If you have a lot of content and at the same time are content with your MBP for general usage, I'd go with a 64gb iPod from now. Would you really use a mini any more than you did an iPad 3? Doesn't seem like it.

Mairu

I keep seeing people say this but it's just wrong. They're different products entirely.

Why buy The iPod Touch when you can buy an iPhone for the same price or cheaper?
Why buy an iPad for $499 when you can get a 64Gig iPhone for that price?
Or why buy the 64Gig iPhone when you can buy a friggin' iPad?
Why buy the $799 iPad when you can get a Mac Mini for that price or cheaper?
Why buy the $1200 iMac when you can buy a MacBook Air for $200 less?

What's the point of an iPad mini that's priced at $200-300 when there's an iPod Touch that same price? How about it's an iPad. It's way larger than an iPod. It's used to do different things than an iPod does. I'm not going to buy an iPod Touch for $300 to read a book, watch a movie, or make art. Likewise, I'm not going to spend $300 on an iPad Mini if I intend to use it for listening to music and light gaming.

Different products. Different markets. Price overlap already happens in their OSX products and in their iOS products.

I don't really see the iPad mini being priced under the iPod Touch, but I guess we'll have to see next month. I don't really think the phone comparisons in that line of questioning is fair, because some of those questions are obvious, considering the iPhone is a phone - There's no reason someone with an iPhone would buy an iPod Touch, but if you're obviously not using an iPhone there's reasons to buy an iPod Touch. The same with an iPad.

I'm just weary that the iPad mini is going to be competitively priced at all looking at the new iPod Touch pricing.

giga

Hint: the 2012 iPad is cheaper than the iPhone. Like…$150 cheaper. You guys are getting thrown off by the Touch's pricing (which will have a better camera, more storage, and a better display.)

numble

I don't really see the iPad mini being priced under the iPod Touch, but I guess we'll have to see next month. I don't really think the phone comparisons in that line of questioning is fair, because some of those questions are obvious, considering the iPhone is a phone - There's no reason someone with an iPhone would buy an iPod Touch, but if you're obviously not using an iPhone there's reasons to buy an iPod Touch. The same with an iPad.

I'm just weary that the iPad mini is going to be competitively priced at all looking at the new iPod Touch pricing.

The iPad probably won't have a Retina in-cell touch display, it probably won't start at 32 GB, it probably won't have as good cameras.

The $299 4" iPod Touch has better tech and more storage than the $399 iPad (which was $499 last year).

Blackhead

Redarse
Whoa, those Apple loop thingies aren't included with the new iPod iTouch?!

Hint: the 2012 iPad is cheaper than the iPhone. Like…$150 cheaper. You guys are getting thrown off by the Touch's pricing, even though it'll have a better camera, more storage, and a better display.

The iPads with 3G are about the same price as the iPhone.

giga

Whoa, those Apple loop thingies aren't included with the new iPod iTouch?!

The iPads with 3G are about the same price as the iPhone.
The point was that a larger screen and battery (in this, for the iPad mini) doesn't translate to a higher price than the iPod touch. Especially when we know it's not going to have a retina display and 32Gb of storage for the base.

And yes, the loops are included.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Loops are included, they said so in the conference. Apple's site also mentions each model includes a color-matched loop and you can buy other colors separately.

his adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Video and iPod Out not supported.

OMG, so this means that even with the adapter I wont be able to listen to music in my car with my car stereo?

LCfiner

his adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Video and iPod Out not supported.

OMG, so this means that even with the adapter I wont be able to listen to music in my car with my car stereo?

ipod out is not the same as line out.

ipod out was a special BMW thing (maybe other cars) that put the ipod UI in the dash.

line out should still be supported.

ipod out is not the same as line out.

ipod out was a special BMW thing (maybe other cars) that put the ipod UI in the dash.

line out should still be supported.

How do you know which one your car is using though? My car specifically has a mode called iPod. Did they just name it that or are they using iPod Out? If it's the latter then it reaches way beyond just a handful of BMWs.

LCfiner

How do you know which one your car is using though? My car specifically has a mode called iPod. Did they just name it that or are they using iPod Out? If it's the latter then it reaches way beyond just a handful of BMWs.

well, if you're clearly controlling the ipod via the car's dash, it's ipod out.

if you're only using an AUX in for the audio (even if it's labelled "iPod") and all control takes place on the ipod itself, and no info about playing tracks appears in the car's dash, then it's just a line out audio from the device.

if you're only using an AUX in for the audio (even if it's labelled "iPod") and all control takes place on the ipod itself, and no info about playing tracks appears in the car's dash, then it's just a line out audio from the device.

Well I am controlling it via my dashboard. So this is not just a BMW problem. This is a much much bigger issue.

Branson

Well I am controlling it via my dashboard. So this is not just a BMW problem. This is a much much bigger issue.
Is it a USB hookup or something that just has the 30pin connector?

On another note I just got a head unit in my car and it has a USB hookup for my iPod/iPhone so I assume it will still work?

LCfiner

well I did say some other cars could be affected.

saying it's a "much bigger" issue conflates your current problem with the size of the market in general. maybe it's still a tiny issue but now it affects you so it seems bigger.

Not that I can't empathize. My existing dock in my car won't work with a new iphone connector and an adapter would make the whole thing unstable. One reason why I'm holding out on the iphone 5 is to wait for a specific new car dock to become available (I like the kensington one with the remote control) that use the new connector.

well I did say some other cars could be affected.

saying it's a "much bigger" issue conflates your current problem with the size of the market in general. maybe it's still a tiny issue but now it affects you so it seems bigger.

Not that I can't empathize. My existing dock in my car won't work with a new iphone connector and an adapter would make the whole thing unstable. One reason why I'm holding out on the iphone 5 is to wait for a specific new car dock to become available (I like the kensington one with the remote control) that use the new connector.

If what you're saying is true, then this is how big the problem is:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/car-integration/

I have to believe that your criteria can't be the definition otherwise, wow.

The thing is, the iPod Touch is smaller, MUCH smaller, than an iPad Mini would be. It's thin as fuck, it has a better screen (both in resolution and in touch technology), it'll likely have better cameras, and it's just fucking SMALL. To reduce the size of the components costs money. Smaller tech = higher price. This is why laptops usually cost more than desktop computers.

Again, there are different markets at play here. Someone on the market for a new iPod isn't going to see the iPad Mini for the same/slightly less cost and think "Oh I'll just buy that and store all my music on it." Likewise someone out shopping for an iPad-like device isn't going to see the new iPod Touches and go "Oh hey I'll just buy that instead."

numble

I don't think that's true. iPod Out includes a very specific video output, allowing you to see album covers.

You can connect an iPod Nano to a car, and it can't do iPod Out, but you can still control it via dash, etc.

noah111

Still Alive
The thing is, the iPod Touch is smaller, MUCH smaller, than an iPad Mini would be. It's thin as fuck, it has a better screen (both in resolution and in touch technology), it'll likely have better cameras, and it's just fucking SMALL. To reduce the size of the components costs money. Smaller tech = higher price. This is why laptops usually cost more than desktop computers.
Just to speak to this solely, the mini iPad is likely to be just a 1mm thicker than the new iPod Touch's. Give or take perhaps a point decimal or two, but that's really, really not a huge difference AT ALL.

But yes, to the rest of your point, I get what you're saying in terms of actual pricing and ranking the premium/high end products vs second tiers.

LCfiner

I don't think that's true. iPod Out includes a very specific video output, allowing you to see album covers.

You can connect an iPod Nano to a car, and it can't do iPod Out, but you can still control it via dash, etc.

ok, so the problem is either much smaller or much larger than I originally thought. :p

I hope for Marty and everyone else that has dash controls, that ipod out, really is as limited as you're saying.

Me, I'm still slumming it with a line out connection :)

numble

Just to speak to this solely, the mini iPad is likely to be just a 1mm thicker than the new iPod Touch's. Give or take perhaps a point decimal or two, but that's really, really not a huge difference AT ALL.

But yes, to the rest of your point, I get what you're saying in terms of actual pricing and ranking the premium/high end products vs second tiers.
Why do you think it will be just 1 mm thicker? The iPad 2 is 2.7 mm thicker than the iPod Touch. The mockups don't really show it to be thinner, I think.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Our family car has an iPod docking connector in the glove compartment (For some stupid ass reason) and when you connect to it it uses it's own shitty ass screen GUI for controlling the music. Even though it's not outputting video I'm assuming it'll also be broken.

My car however has a superior (Compared to the above situation) AUX input so I can play and control my music from the device. I don't know how I'd live without it. I can't go back to radio. It's too horrible.

Holy shit are you serious? WTF.

But even so, there's more room inside the iPad Mini for parts then there is in an iPod Touch. Shit is CRAMMED in the iPhone and Touch. Or is it all taken up with dead space? [In the iPad/Mini] Batteries? (How would they keep the weight down?)

Interfectum

milkymilky.jpg

noah111

Still Alive
Why do you think it will be just 1 mm thicker? The iPad 2 is 2.7 mm thicker than the iPod Touch. The mockups don't really show it to be thinner, I think.
You can tell from the physical mockups that it'll be a decent amount thinner than the 4S. I was going off of memory of what the alleged dimensions were, though (I remember posting about the blueprints).

But doing a search for specifics, based on the various leaks a mini iPad would come in at just 1.2mm thicker (more or less exactly what I said) than the new iPod Touch's, which are 6.1mm iirc.

Holy shit are you serious? WTF.

But even so, there's more room inside the iPad Mini for parts then there is in an iPod Touch. Shit is CRAMMED in the iPhone and Touch. Or is it all taken up with dead space? [In the iPad/Mini] Batteries? (How would they keep the weight down?)
Yeah, it should be pretty thin. But note that the curvature plays a huge part in how you perceive its thickness. Even if it were as thin as an iPhone 5, it would feel thick without those deep edge curves.

That's what make the iPad 1 feel thin at its time, because it combined a really tapered back with a walled edge.

The iPad mini will still have those curved edges, but the incline looks like it'll be steeper than the iPad 2/3's, so who knows exactly how it'll feel. Should still feel great, but it's basically a balance between the surface you want your hands to cup (edges) with how thick it can get. Really thick but with highly tapered edges won't matter as much, edge curves too steep and the thinness won't hit home as much, etc.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: nm I didnt see the other iPhone 5 thread which is probably better for this question.

Can't decide on 16 or 32, my 4 is 32GB and usually full but I could probably address that by synching less music :/

The resell on the larger ones nets you so little it doesn't seem worth it. I just feel like it is full because I have that much space and even if it were larger or smaller it would be full still

Pachimari

I'm thinking of doing a general iPad Mini thread with all the rumours and us speculating up until the event (hopefully) in October. Should I do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom