• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

While Apple managed to pack a bunch of new technologies into the iPhone 5, the company opted not to include the wireless charging found on Nokia’s Lumia 920 or the near field communications technology found in the Galaxy S III.

Though some saw Apple’s Passbook feature as a perfect companion to NFC, Apple opted not to include the technology in the iPhone 5. Passbook is used to store loyalty cards and gift cards as well as things like boarding passes and baseball tickets.

In an interview, Apple Senior VP Phil Schiller said that Passbook alone does what most customers want and works without existing merchant payment systems.

It’s not clear that NFC is the solution to any current problem, Schiller said. “Passbook does the kinds of things customers need today.”

As for wireless charging, Schiller notes that the wireless charging systems still have to be plugged into the wall, so it’s not clear how much convenience they add. The widely-adopted USB cord, meanwhile, can charge in wall outlets, computers and even on airplanes, he said.

“Having to create another device you have to plug into the wall is actually, for most situations, more complicated,” Schiller said.

As for why the company is changing the dock connector that has been on nearly all iPhones and iPods since 2003, Schiller said it simply wasn’t possible to build products as thin as the new iPhones and iPods without changing the cord. Hence, the new “Lightning” connector.

That said, Schiller said that Apple doesn’t take changing the connector lightly.

“This is the new connector for many years to come,” he said.
http://allthingsd.com/20120912/inte...w-connector-but-not-nfc-or-wireless-charging/

Loto

They lost me as a potential customer. The day they announced their new plans and I saw the pricing, I decided that I was going to stick with AT&T for better or worse.

You are smart, I think the AT&T plans are better, but havent really looked into it yet and im a Verizon customer. I hate all these phone companies but at least AT&T is still honoring the grand fathered unlimited plans.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is the HD video out yet?

As for wireless charging, Schiller notes that the wireless charging systems still have to be plugged into the wall, so it’s not clear how much convenience they add. The widely-adopted USB cord, meanwhile, can charge in wall outlets, computers and even on airplanes, he said.

“Having to create another device you have to plug into the wall is actually, for most situations, more complicated,” Schiller said.
http://allthingsd.com/20120912/inte...w-connector-but-not-nfc-or-wireless-charging/

Lol at that corporate double speak. Wireless charging is just a dock and Apple themselves make docks for their iphones and ipads. It's pretty obvious how wireless charging is an improvement on that.

You are smart, I think the AT&T plans are better, but havent really looked into it yet and im a Verizon customer. I hate all these phone companies but at least AT&T is still honoring the grand fathered unlimited plans.

Verizon kills AT&T when it comes to LTE coverage, but my area is supposedly supposed to be covered by the end of the year. I've had iPhones since the 3G so at least I'll still have my unlimited plan.

Einbroch

Banned
Is Verizon not honoring them anymore or something? I'm still grandfathered.

Brera

Banned
It's on the UK apple store for £529.

I was tempted till I realised I can just keep my 4 and buy an iPad or something.

Is Verizon not honoring them anymore or something? I'm still grandfathered.

I am not a Verizon customer, but from what I was reading you can't keep an unlimited plan if you want the subsidized price through Verizon. You can keep it if you are will to pay the full price for the phone (either $549, $649, or $749 depending on storage size).

Einbroch

Banned
I am not a Verizon customer, but from what I was reading you can't keep an unlimited plan if you want the subsidized price through Verizon. You can keep it if you are will to pay the full price for the phone (either $549, $649, or $749 depending on storage size).
Wait, is this confirmed? The fuck?

Majine

Banned
Saw the keynote and yep, iTunes 11 is clearly the most exciting thing they showed. Stuff like Play Next was very needed, being able to just make up a playlist by skimming through your library is so important.

noah111

Still Alive
Do people really give a shit about wireless charging? Do the benefits actually outweigh the downsides (if there are any)?

I don't really see it as something that would be far easier than docking or plugging in a reversible plug.

Jacobi

Banned
Do people really give a shit about wireless charging? Do the benefits actually outweigh the downsides (if there are any)?

I don't really see it as something that would be far easier than docking or plugging in a reversible plug.
It's easier, time-saving and the future. But not until Apple invents it of course.

Cipherr

Its honestly about as significant as checking to make sure you plug your charging pin in the correct way.

Yet are there people excited about the dual sided charging plug? Probably so. Improvements are improvements. And hopefully wireless charging gets that much better in the future in other ways. But a start is a start.

On an unrelated noted, Ill bet MThanded is hating his ban right now. He has been missed this day.

Flo_Evans

Every version I have seen is slow as fuck. Not sure if it has been improved.

Juice

They didn't ask for that. They asked for something revolutionary.

Didn't happen. Stocks didn't skyrocket like they use to.

Who asked for something revolutionary? Not normal people.

Oh, and the stock typically falls on event days. Buy the rumor, sell the news, and all that.

What's the point of a reversable plug?

noah111

Still Alive
It's easier, time-saving and the future. But not until Apple invents it of course.
But aren't you just plugging in a larger dock to the wall? Instead of a small think you just 'dock' your phone on, it's a larger, less portable surface area that you can place your phone on to charge. Right?

I mean, I get that it has its advantages but even if it does charge as fast as a plug (does it?), there are other disadvantages as well.

Just because Apple is or isn't doing it, or a competing product is doing it, doesn't make it the future that Apple is somehow ignoring. I think it's pretty cool, but let's not get all dramatic about it.

Blackhead

Redarse
But aren't you just plugging in a larger dock to the wall? Instead of a small think you just 'dock' your phone on, it's a larger, less portable surface area that you can place your phone on to charge. Right?

I mean, I get that it has its advantages but even if it does charge as fast as a plug (does it?), there are other disadvantages as well.

Just because Apple is or isn't doing it, or a competing product is doing it, doesn't make it the future that Apple is somehow ignoring. I think it's pretty cool, but let's not get all dramatic about it.

... you're the one getting all dramatic about it. It's better than a cable, there should be no controversy about this (especially when there is still the option of a cable on the 920 for those who claim the wireless charging isn't worth it)

Somnid

Well if the industry gets its shit together then those docks become universal (which is already a problem with Apple's proprietary bullshit). It paves a future where we can have a whole desk surface that wirelessly charges our electronics. But even in the now if they want to make the plug smaller to make the phone thinner or whatever then might as well kill the whole plug. Makes it even better than reversible, I just drop it on the pad. It also allows for interesting opportunities. iPhones have one port, get rid of it and they can have sealed bodies and now it's feasible to have phones you can go swimming with.

Well if the industry gets its shit together then those docks become universal (which is already a problem with Apple's proprietary bullshit). It paves a future where we can have a whole desk surface that wirelessly charges our electronics. But even in the now if they want to make the plug smaller to make the phone thinner or whatever then might as well kill the whole plug. Makes it even better than reversible, I just drop it on the pad. It also allows for interesting opportunities. iPhones have one port, get rid of it and they can have sealed bodies and now it's feasible to have phones you can go swimming with.

Better yet, if there's a standard it can be built into say a car and you just throw your phone on the right surface and your phone is charging.

kehs

Banned

Why do you care about the large plug on the wall for something that will be stationary? The point of contact charging is that every time you put the device down, its charging, and you can just pick it up again. Like someone else mentioned it's about as superfluous as double sided plug, but that got a huge boner alert.

I put my phone down on my desk in the same spot all the time, but I don't always plug it in when I do. With a contact pad I wouldn't have to be plugging/ unplugging.

Why do you care about the large plug on the wall for something that will be stationary? The point of contact charging is that every time you put the device down, its charging, and you can just pick it up again. Like someone else mentioned it's about as superfluous as double sided plug, but that got a huge boner alert.

I put my phone down on my desk in the same spot all the time, but I don't always plug it in when I do. With a contact pad I wouldn't have to be plugging/ unplugging.
what if you are living on a hill and all your tables are tilted then what smart guy huh

noah111

Still Alive
... you're the one getting all dramatic about it. It's better than a cable, there should be no controversy about this (especially when there is still the option of a cable on the 920 for those who claim the wireless charging isn't worth it)
I'm actually not; saying Apple is actively ignoring this feature and consequently 'the future' is a bit out there and overplaying things. It's dramatic to assume it's the future everyone must move towards.

The portability factor alone makes it inconvenient or counterproductive for many (think: wip gimmick). BUT, if it were possible to have a magnetic latch like the iPad covers, that also charges, i'd obviously use it.

I don't think it's intuitive to have a secondary device to wirelessly charge your phone with if it's as big or space-consuming as the product itself, and that along with a plug option. The main takeaway from the concept is ease of use and speed. If they could somehow merge those two concepts and make the port itself invisible, but have a wire latch onto or charge just with surface contact, it would achieve the same result. I don't think that's possible just yet, but who knows.

I guess my point is that it isn't a 'right' or a largely beneficial feature for everyone, so to list it as a bullet point as to why or how Apple is lagging behind, is silly. Especially when there are so many other bullet points that we could list instead.

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^
I disagree. Having used wireless charging with palm pre extensively, I think it's very intuitive, quite portable and much better than cables. I believe it's a largely beneficial product for everyone.

what if you are living on a hill and all your tables are tilted then what smart guy huh

some charging bases have magnets (like the touchstone for Palm Pres) so they hold the phone in place. Think of it as the magsafe of phone chargers.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
some charging bases have magnets (like the touchstone for Palm Pres) so they hold the phone in place. Think of it as the magsafe of phone chargers.
Except that's not the same thing. Magsafe is built to break-away, not hang on for dear life. Your analogy is flawed. My hair is a bird. I am Abed.

Blackhead

Redarse
Except that's not the same thing. Magsafe is built to break-away, not hang on for dear life. Your analogy is flawed. My hair is a bird. I am Abed.

Magsafe easily detaches and attaches with the aid of magnets. So does the palm pre and touchstone. It's not an unbreakable grip but it will keep the phone in place if on an uneven surface

noah111

Still Alive

Exactly, it's an ease of use thing. I don't think the new plug is a giant deal, but at the same time it is something beneficial you could apply to all wires and ports for all devices tomorrow, and it would have no downsides to it. Unlike wireless charging tech, which isn't ideal for everyone and could never replace the plug in its current state (whereas reversible could).

My point is (again) it isn't some point I would list that makes one product superior to another, or one company more 'ahead' than another. But at least they're trying to do something more ambitious with wireless charging, which is great. It has a ways to go but I think the solution will or should end up being somewhere in the middle of the two, which means maximum ease and speed but maximum portability and compactness at the same time. Best of both worlds. Maybe one day.

Magsafe easily detaches and attaches with the aid of magnets. So does the palm pre and touchstone. It's not an unbreakable grip but it will keep the phone in place if on an uneven surface
Yeah, i'd love to see the port disappear and simply connect/charge wirelessly through something like the magsafe, but simply through magnetic surface contact like the iPad smart cover.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes, but you said it in reply to having a table on a slanty hill. Saying the phone would cling to the base for dear life. Maybe it will, but I can't see a MacBook hanging onto a Magsafe plug while sliding off a table. So they're not equal. I get what you were getting at, but it's not equal. lolwtfbbq
I don't care

TTOOLL

So, finally home after work. I really liked the new Nano and Itunes. iPhone looks nice but iOS does not do it for me anymore, sold my iPad for this reason.

Will definitely buy the black Nano.

Argyle

Better yet, if there's a standard it can be built into say a car and you just throw your phone on the right surface and your phone is charging.

I did this with my Palm Pre, that plus car bluetooth kit = amazing (never had to plug anything into my phone once I got into my car, just drop it on the charger and drive off).

noah111

Still Alive
I know what the point is. I get that. I was trying to question him since he can't see the point of inductive charging but can see the point of a reversible plug.
Wait a sec, who said I can't see the point of it? Wtf. Look at what I originally quoted, I was responding to the notions being brought up that 'IT IS THE FUTURE' and everyone must move towards it, and with Apple not doing so they're lagging behind somehow. Of course I see the point of it, i'm not that dense. :lol

Current 4 owner. The fact that the 5 won't work with my car's iPod integration might keep me from getting one. I could still plug in with a stereo cable but being able to control the music app on the stereo / steering wheel is something I don't want to lose. Maybe I'll just go with a now-cheap 4S instead.

Edit: Or I suppose I could get a cheap old iPod touch and keep it in the car.

Blackhead

Redarse
Yes, but you said it in reply to having a table on a slanty hill. Saying the phone would cling to the base for dear life. Maybe it will, but I can't see a MacBook hanging onto a Magsafe plug while sliding off a table. So they're not equal. I get what you were getting at, but it's not equal. lolwtfbbq
I don't care
Ok it's not exactly equal. It's similar though, that's the point of my analogy

kehs

Banned
Exactly, it's an ease of use thing. I don't think the new plug is a giant deal, but at the same time it is something beneficial you could apply to all wires and ports for all devices tomorrow, and it would have no downsides to it. Unlike wireless charging tech, which isn't ideal for everyone and could never replace the plug in its current state (whereas reversible could).

My point is (again) it isn't some point I would list that makes one product superior to another, or one company more 'ahead' than another. But at least they're trying to do something more ambitious with wireless charging, which is great. It has a ways to go but I think the solution will or should end up being somewhere in the middle of the two, which means maximum ease and speed but maximum portability and compactness at the same time. Best of both worlds. Maybe one day.

Yeah, i'd love to see the port disappear and simply connect/charge wirelessly through something like the magsafe, but simply through magnetic surface contact like the iPad smart cover.

A proprietary cable can be implemented better than standardized wireless charging?

(QI has a large consortium from various company....I'll let you guess which major company has skipped it).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think it's disingenuous to call inductive charging "wireless charging".

Yeah, doesn't it simply work by having the power connections on the base and equivalent ones at the back of the phone so it's really working through touch. Wireless charging would be if I could have my phone on my desk and a charger on the wall outputting energy rays that the phone somehow picks up through the application of magic and science without having to be connected to anything.

All this charging base is is a Dock that doesn't actually Dock the phone that doesn't require pins to be inserted. You can get the exact same EXACT SAME thing by using an Apple iPhone Dock. Requires the exact same effort and you can even see the screen when it's in the Dock.

Ok it's not exactly equal. It's similar though, that's the point of my analogy
Let's never stop being friends.

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah, doesn't it simply work by having the power connections on the base and equivalent ones at the back of the phone so it's really working through touch. Wireless charging would be if I could have my phone on my desk and a charger on the wall outputting energy rays that the phone somehow picks up through the application of magic and science without having to be connected to anything.

All this charging base is is a Dock that doesn't actually Dock the phone that doesn't require pins to be inserted. You can get the exact same EXACT SAME thing by using an Apple iPhone Dock. Requires the exact same effort and you can even see the screen when it's in the Dock.

No it doesn't require the exact same effort and you can see the screen of phones on some wireless pads/docks too.

I think it's disingenuous to call inductive charging "wireless charging".

Technically you're right.

And both inductive charging and 'proper wireless' charging are better than a cable.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
'wireless charging' has been around for years. it's a gimmick. no more simple than just sticking your phone in a cradle or even just plugging a cable in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom