• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So no NFC after all.. they could've made an inspiring/futuristic video out of that which would've gotten people excited a bit.

Also, I think I won the glass raised bet. ;p

Yep. One of of should go dig up all the posts swearing to us they would be flush, and that the leaks were "assembled improperly" ;).

With that said the amount of raise up is significantly reduced.

Tobor

So no NFC after all.. they could've made an inspiring/futuristic video out of that which would've gotten people excited a bit.

Also, I think I won the glass raised bet. ;p

Next year, once they integrate all that Authentec tech they purchased.

Majine

Banned
iphone_5_hands-on_sg_131.jpg
"Now kith"

border

Retailer support for NFC is not really there. No point in making a sizzle video about it if people won't be able to actually go out and experience the sizzle.

bonesquad

Awesome, thanks for this!

Is this from apple.com or att.com?

I got mine through ATT (since I couldn't get through Apple's site at the time:), but I recall people who got it directly through Apple had similar experiences. No guarantees, but if you pre-order right when they open orders online on Friday, worst case probably is the phone showing up at your place on the release date with everyone else. Without the line waiting.

AT&T users can keep unlimited plans. Verizon users cannot. If you want the $199 price on Verizon, you have to give up unlimited.

That's when 5 officially launches and will be available in stores. When I pre-ordered my iPhone 4 it showed up on my doorstep a day earlier than the launch date, and same for a friend who got the 4S at launch. I'd guess the same will happen again. There's really no reason to not pre-order and have it shipped straight to you if you can. Unless you like waiting in long lines.

If you preorder from Apple it will arrive at your doorstep on the 21st. If you preorder from AT&T or Verizon websites, it SHOULD arrive then. However, in the 4 and 4S launches, the cell companies screwed up and delivered some the Monday after. Just order from store.apple.com, it will be easier and Apple will make it right.

Thank you! Sticking with 'em, I guess.
I don't get the point of wanting to keep the unlimited plans anymore since they throttle you as soon you hit the same limit as the standard plans.
With AT&T, Unlimited is $30, 3GB is $30, and 5GB is $50.
Not to mention the obvious... they charge you for overages.

tmdorsey

Retailer support for NFC is not really there. No point in making a sizzle video about it if people won't be able to actually go out and experience the sizzle.

Also why it makes sense not to include NFC at this time. I personally think we are few years away from seeing decent retailer support for it.

I have a couple of questions.

1)What do you guys think the chances are that Apple will pack in a dock adapter with the phone?

2)Does anybody know if there will be option to disable LTE drop down to 3G? Like you can currently disable 3G on the iPhone 4?

noah111

Still Alive
Yep. One of of should go dig up all the posts swearing to us they would be flush, and that the leaks were "assembled improperly" ;).

Haha, yup. But to the latter, yes, I said that back then as well;

Also, seems like front still sports raised glass, unlike the back. Not nearly as much as before, of course.
Same here, but then again if you look at how raised it is in comparison to the 4S, it's still quite 'flush'.
It'll feel great in-hand flush or not, but hopefully you're right..

:p
Zeth, sorry your expectations didn't come true.

sikkinixx

Called Fido (cell company in Canadia) to double check I was eligible for upgrade:

"Sorry, you need to be in the last 6 months of your three year contract to upgrade. We changed it from the 12 it was previously. Full price or $240 buy-out"

Crushed.

Also why it makes sense to include NFC at this time. I personally think we are few years away from seeing decent retailer support for it.

I have a couple of questions.

1)What do you guys think the chances are that Apple will pack in a dock adapter with the phone?

2)Does anybody know if there will be option to disable LTE drop down to 3G? Like you can currently disable 3G on the iPhone 4?

I can't really see Apple throwing a feature into a phone that will only frustrate and confuse their customers.

and no way in hell with there be a dock adapter in the box.....

jts

...hate me...

Guilty as charged, screw you Apple!

PM me your email so you can get 1 dollar richer.

Struct09

Happy that I get to keep my unlimited data plan :D Getting throttled at 5GB sucks (I typically don't go that high anyway), but only paying $30 for it is a plus.

SUPREME1

Banned
I think the text is funny too.
Anyway, I never got this wireless charging talk. There's nothing wireless about it when the dock is connected with a cable.

Btw, iPhone 5 supports 4G here in Denmark, that's a first!

Are Wi-Fi routers not considered wireless? The router is connected via cables to a power source.

How the dock and the device interact is what is wireless.

Besides, with the amount of people in this thread excited about reversable cables being great for night time cgarging... this takes it a step further by removing the cable completely.

Plop the phone on the base and you're done.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Happy that I get to keep my unlimited data plan :D Getting throttled at 5GB sucks (I typically don't go that high anyway), but only paying $30 for it is a plus.
I get throttled at 2.5GB but have never even reached 10% of that usage. I guess it's because I rarely try to watch a video over my data connection.

Lima

So prices in the US stay the same but they made it more expensive in pretty much all of Europe.

50€ more in Germany. Fuckers....

jts

...hate me...
Are Wi-Fi routers not considered wireless? The router is connected via cables to a power source.

How the dock and the device interact is what is wireless.

Besides, with the amount of people in this thread excited about reversable cables being great for night time cgarging... this takes it a step further by removing the cable completely.

Plop the phone on the base and you're done.

How wireless is it if you have to place it on top, seriously. Can't really compare that to wi-fi. It's more like a very very practical physical connection.

My electric toothbrush charger is just as wireless and putting it to charge isn't very different from putting my iPhone on its dock at night.

Jeff-DSA

Ah, for crying out loud. I was all set to buy a Nano (first one in years) and I noticed that it lacks WiFi. That's definitely a dealbreaker.

I'm just sick of using my phone for podcasts since my Zune broke, but I don't want a device that lacks WiFi and I don't want to pay those silly prices for an iPod.

I'm an Apple fan, and I think the Nano looks... kind of bad. I was hoping for something cool, since I'd like to pick up a small iPod to use while jogging (instead of carrying my phone, which I do now).

I wouldn't mind that weird border if I could just get a white one. But with any color it looks weird. I'm not really sure what I want, but it's not this.

Think I might stick with the S-series of phones. Went 3GS to 4S, think I'll hold off for the 5S. Not seeing enough of a reason to upgrade here, but if the 5S is as much of an upgrade over the 5 as 4S was to 4 I will be happy.

The Chef

This may be my chance to leave AT&T and head over to Verison. Haven't compared the plans at all though. My signal on AT&T is just so bad.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Guilty as charged, screw you Apple!

PM me your email so you can get 1 dollar richer.
Haha! Thank you but that is not necesarry.
a little crow is all I needed ;) the leak pictures always suck compared to press pics for seeing the details.

I am happy that it is significantly smaller, if it's not going to be flush this is a good trade off.

Sorry but this thread is just huge so I'm going to ask without searching:

If I buy an iPhone 5 from Apple, how am I supposed to go about getting a new SIM that will fit it? I'm with Giffgaff in the UK, I take it the micro-sim I have now can't just be cut down to fit inside like the old ones?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sorry but this thread is just huge so I'm going to ask without searching:

If I buy an iPhone 5 from Apple, how am I supposed to go about getting a new SIM that will fit it? I'm with Giffgaff in the UK, I take it the micro-sim I have now can't just be cut down to fit inside like the old ones?

I think they are just even more cut down normal sims. Giff gaff might well provide them, or offer a community service like with the micro sims

KingKong

has anyone seen any EarPod impressions?

I'm thinking they're only $30 so they'll be cheap and meh sounding but who knows, it is a unique design so maybe it really is a great fit and super comfortable

I think they are just even more cut down normal sims. Giff gaff might well provide them, or offer a community service like with the micro sims

Problem is the only way I can justify buying a 5 is by selling my 4, so I'm worried I'm going to be left stranded without a SIM for days or weeks during the transition :(

I checked their site and apparently they will have a blog about it tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's simple enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom