• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| D.Brine collects his P45

Nose Master

Hi, wrasslegaf. There is a girl in WWE training/recovery that you often post pictures of, that I have spun tall tales about. Mostly regarding her posterior. Could one of you fine gents supply me with a name?
And pictures to refresh my memory

Striker

Smackdown spoiler

(5) Great Khali beat Cody Rhodes.

lol WWE
w2RtI.gif

The problem is that there is a severe lack of faces, especially since I think Sheamus should be turned heel. I think ZIggler could pull it off.
They have heels but they've all been jobbed to death no one (crowd) cares about them. All WWE cares about is John Cena, the dumb shit Funkasaurus segments, the awful 2-min "midcard" matches, the 30 sec Diva matches which often end in roll-ups, and promoting themselves on Twitter. WWE in 2012.

Aiii

So not worth it
Smackdown spoiler

(5) Great Khali beat Cody Rhodes.

lol WWE

So, he'll look even better when he defeats the Big Show w/ Khali on Sunday and gets his title back.

This whole storyline with Big Show is to build up Cody to main event level at the end of this year. You may quote me on this when he wins the top gold at Survivor Series.

the 30 sec Diva matches which often end in roll-ups, and promoting themselves on Twitter. WWE in 2012.
I can't think of a single divas match on Raw/Smackdown this year that ended with an actual finishing move.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
So, he'll look even better when he defeats the Big Show w/ Khali on Sunday and gets his title back.

This whole storyline with Big Show is to build up Cody to main event level at the end of this year. You may quote me on this when he wins the top gold at Survivor Series.

I can't think of a single divas match on Raw/Smackdown this year that ended with an actual finishing move.

Beth had a couple of squash matches leading up to some PPV or other this year. Glam Slam to pin is usually how it went.

I think the problem is more that most of the Divas don't have a finishing move.

Striker

I'm sure Cody will win his title back, but he still has no real business losing at Mania. They should've had Cody beat Randy, instead of Kane. And had Show go over Kane since it really effected nobody.

Kyoufu

I'm sure Cody will win his title back, but he still has no real business losing at Mania. They should've had Cody beat Randy, instead of Kane. And had Show go over Kane since it really effected nobody.

I thought you knew by now that they are terrible at booking.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't see what's so terrible about Cody losing his title so he can fight back and regain it to look ultra-determined and strong.

Never defending your title and as such raking up a long streak of holding it is way more terrible then having actual storylines that make you look good.

Striker

I don't see what's so terrible about Cody losing his title so he can fight back and regain it to look ultra-determined and strong.
Unless Cody comes out roided up like Hogan did in the early 90's, Vince isn't going to book him strong, especially against Big Show.

UberTag

They have heels but they've all been jobbed to death no one (crowd) cares about them. All WWE cares about is John Cena, the dumb shit Funkasaurus segments, the awful 2-min "midcard" matches, the 30 sec Diva matches which often end in roll-ups, and promoting themselves on Twitter. WWE in 2012.
This is now what is known as the Squash Match / Apathy Era.

Fans that are far more passionate about this business than those actually participating in it are lashing out en masse by embracing the YES YES YES D.Brine mantra. Not sure how much longer that will last post-Extreme Rules, though. There aren't too many "hot crowd" live taping venues coming up. This weekend could be its last hurrah. :(

Kyoufu

This is now what is known as the Squash Match / Apathy Era.

Fans that are far more passionate about this business than those actually participating in it are lashing out en masse by embracing the YES YES YES D.Brine mantra. Not sure how much longer that will last post-Extreme Rules, though. There aren't too many "hot crowd" live taping venues coming up. This weekend could be its last hurrah. :(

It's just a shame WWE has no pro wrestling competitor. Vince wasn't like this when WCW were kicking his arse.

That US title banner is great, Miz looks mizerable, his eyes look as if they have leaked many tears and are now nearly lifeless from his tumble down the card, meanwhile Santino is so smug it's bordering on a troll face

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Obviously there's some stuff they do that involves plants ("Lil Jimmy" with the cup of water at Capital Punishment last year) but most of time it's the wrestlers interacting with the regulars they know have traveled a long way to have fun and aren't a threat at all to their safety.

Cena has fun with those "We Hate Cena" guys because they're not a threat. They're just having fun at the shows and you realize that pretty quick when you see them there (and they're there often). Have you ever seen any of them do anything like you see with some psychos that have so much hate for a guy they don't even know? No. Never once have they tried to take a swing at him like that woman did to Jericho in the parking lot a few years ago.

The "Superfans" know the show is scripted and they enjoy it for what it is because it is fun to be there live. They enjoy the interaction they have with the wrestlers during the show and after when they're waiting at airports and the hotels for pictures & autographs. Check out "Brock Plant's" Facebook page and you'll see how many Meet & Greets the guy attends outside of WWE shows. He was there at the Ultimate Warrior signing I attended back in March. It's right around the corner for me, but at least an hour drive for him each way. We both were in line for at least 6 hours that night. He wasn't a plant that night, just a huge wrestling fan.

I know people here get excited here when they get a response on Twitter from someone like Punk (I do too). So imagine how it feels when you have a wrestler interacting with you during the shows and you have tons of wrestling fans telling you afterwards how cool that was and how lucky you were. Makes you want to do it again and again.

I know I've mentioned here before that at Night of Champions 2010 I was in the front row in Chicago with my sister and she had a "Cena, please throw me your shirt" sign (before they became common). She's super shy and had met Cena a few times before then. She's always been respectful to him. He's been great and I know he's seen us sitting ringside plenty of times before. It was the first and only time she's taken a sign to the arena and she only did it because I encouraged her to since we had front row seats. It worked and she got his shirt that night. It was seriously priceless to see her that happy at the show (huge Cena fan) and it honestly would've made a 2 day drive across the country to the show worth it. I imagine that's how a lot of the "Superfans" feel when they interact with their favorites at the show.

Here's another example...

eEgQQ.jpg

"Frank the Clown"

A Superfan from the Chicago area. Kisses Punk's ass at the shows and on Twitter. He does everything he can to get Punk's attention, all the way down to tweeting just like him (music quotes, the "Lets Go!" stuff, etc.) and visiting the same places Punk does. He's the furthest thing from a threat you can have, just a hardcore fan that spends a lot of money and time traveling to the shows to enjoy them and interact with the wrestlers. He takes it a step further than most with the clown outfit to get attention, but he's just a fan like you and I. Punk knows this and occasionally interacts with him at the shows like the picture above. That was at the Summerslam Axxess event last year. Punk was doing a Q&A session there and decided he was going to bring the microphone to the fans and field questions. Punk knows the "clown" is from Chicago and flew out to be at Summerslam in LA. He even mentioned seeing the fan at the Money in the Bank show a few weeks earlier (the "clown" had the Straight Edge "X's" painted on his face that night). Why wouldn't you throw a fan like that a bone if they're that much of a fan that they'll put everything aside and fly across country to see you perform live on a big show?

EDIT: Notice "Brock Plant" is behind Punk there too as he and the clown travel to the shows together a lot with both being from Chicago.

Great post man.

I saw the post showing the guy's Facebook, and right before heading to bed I was checking out the pics of the tons of wrestlers he got to take pics with, even including a couple TNA pics which show that the guy is obviously a super fan who enjoys live shows and meeting wrestlers no matter the cost.

Last I checked, the WWE wouldn't pay someone who somehow likes TNA to be a plant, but then again, you got people that think they're in the know, but don't know a damn thing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I still think the only reasonable and smart conclusion to Extreme Rules is to have Brock 'legit KO' Cena in a under a minute. Cements him as a heel (ruined the ppv!) and upsets the kids, and keeps Cena having to really fight. Then you get a neat month or two of Lesnar killing the roster with his legit moves until...fuck I dunno. 2 month booking.

The problem is that there is a severe lack of faces, especially since I think Sheamus should be turned heel. I think ZIggler could pull it off.

Mismanagement my friend.

They have Heels:
Henry Swagger Del Rio Rhodes Miz Kane Ziggler Tensai
Epico Primo Jericho Otunga Christain McIntyre Unico
Mahal Dibiase Barrett

The issue is they have no clue what they're doing. They have enough stars to have Heels, Faces, Tag Teams and possibly a cruiserweight division.

With three shows Smackdown, Raw and Superstars, the question is do they have enough time to devote to all of their stars. And in the current jobber-less wrestling era, losing or winning has become irrelevant. The Titles have become irrelevant.

Also, stars aren't allowed to develop organically anymore, they're micro-managed, have scripted promos and the company doesn't react to fan fervor (see Zack Ryder).

I don't envy Vince's idiotic daughter and Doofus Son-In-Law. With the stock sinking to all-time lows, low buy rates (except for Mania) and a catastrophe in the making WWE network, the company isn't going to look the same in 10 years.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I still think the only reasonable and smart conclusion to Extreme Rules is to have Brock 'legit KO' Cena in a under a minute. Cements him as a heel (ruined the ppv!) and upsets the kids, and keeps Cena having to really fight. Then you get a neat month or two of Lesnar killing the roster with his legit moves until...fuck I dunno. 2 month booking.

Oh, great, another barbaric monster. Just what we need.

Aiii

So not worth it

Yeah, after Wrestlemania I doubt we'll be seeing any high-profile matches end in squashes.

Even if they would do that, they sure as hell wouldn't in front of a Chicago crowd, who may hate Cena, but they would likely hate paying for shit matches more I'd reckon.

By all means it shouldn't be a long match because of the people involved, but anything under 15 minutes would suprise me.

Dunno, Lesnar is a monster. Look at his first run, his UFC run (despite his losses) and his current storyline.

He's a different worker than Goldberg/Ryback/Umaga/Henry/Tensai, as he can work in the ring.

The only issue with the storyline so far is they let him talk too much on Monday, and Cena's reaction/words.

One of the missing elements is building Brock in ring. Help cement his bully hick role. They could've waited awhile to have the first match between Cena and Brock.

Kyoufu

I'm not in favour of firing wrestlers who:
  1. Got into the business because they like wrestling, not because they're muscular dudes who can't cut it at real life (Riley, Brodus et. al.)
  2. Know how to wrestle
  3. Have some semblance of charisma
Further, I think it's shitty that the wrestlers seem to take the brunt of the complaints for creative's bullshit. I also don't think it makes a lot of sense to cut actual wrestlers when the roster is spread so thin

Also this. (Except Riley, Swoggle, and Brodus)

What's the point of keeping them when they're never used? Roster may be thin, but those guys are invisible anyway.

Roster is thin in terms of main event draw anyway. Only Cena, Punk and Brock can legitimately challenge for the main event spot and WWE doesn't want to put Punk and Cena together so they have to use Brock with Cena for a long time.

They're lacking strong heels right now and I think Punk should turn again. He's being wasted as a babyface.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

This one's a bit different, though - the MMA angle is the best thing they can keep on Lesnar right now because let's be honest - he hasnt been around in quite some time, and this is a hot angle to keep going. Also putting Lesnar in a 25 minute match would be disaster, he's not ready for one yet. From my armchair "I know the business" viewpoint, which is junk.

I think out of all the big men pushes Albert is the failure. Guy is never going to get over and his face looks like a teddy bear. Ryback I see being a success though if they continue the squashes and don't let him go in a long match. He will be world champion of Smackdown by the end of the year. Funkasaurus pops a crowd, but the guy really needs a feud and to get some mic time to push said feud. Lesnar is a beast and awesome. He will be gone once his contract is up though as Vince won't re-sign him for the same amount of money again.

What's the point of keeping them when they're never used? Roster may be thin, but those guys are invisible anyway.

Roster is thin in terms of main event draw anyway. Only Cena, Punk and Brock can legitimately challenge for the main event spot and WWE doesn't want to put Punk and Cena together so they have to use Brock with Cena for a long time.

They're lacking strong heels right now and I think Punk should turn again. He's being wasted as a babyface.

That's a failure of the writers and the agents (but mostly just Vince/idiot daughter/doofus son in law). I'd much rather see the people responsible suffer than dudes with the best intentions doing their jobs as well as can be expected being punished for something they have no control over.

Aiii

So not worth it
This weeks Best and Worst of Raw is up! Yay!

Some highlights include this drawing of David Otunga from Hudson's trial:
Worst: This Courtroom Sketch Of David Otunga

David Otunga wasn’t at the show for a very good reason — he’s participating in the trial of William Balfour, the guy charged with murdering his fiance’s mother, brother and nephew. So it’s with a h/t to reader Robert Olker that while I would never want to make light of that situation, I have to show you this terrible-ass courtroom sketch of David Otunga.
david-otunga-courtroom-sketch.jpg

What the hell is that? He looks like f**king Doctor Strange. Are … are you courtroom sketching with magic markers? How do you have this job?

And:
Best: WWE’s Idea Of How Cops Work
But no, I can never watch a HE’S ABOUT TO BE ARRESTED WWE moment without enjoying wrestling’s interpretation of policemen. They’re all 6’5, they all have long hair, they don’t know how jail or laws work and they’re okay standing calmly in the background until someone who is absolutely not their boss points and orders them to do something.

I preferred the more realistic, socially-accurate 1980s, when “WWF policeman” meant “fat redneck who handcuffs you to something and beats you with a stick”.

Also:
Best: Brock Lesnar Hates Impact

Here’s a list of everyone we got to see Brock Lesnar beat up in video package form last night:

1. Jeff Hardy
2. Rob Van Dam
3. Hulk Hogan
4. Kurt Angle

What do all of these people have in common? Besides drugs. Notice that we didn’t see any footage of The Rock getting F-5′d. I wish they’d worked in that time he motivationally berated Matt Morgan backstage. The same people who put together tonight’s show should hype Daniel Bryan and Sheamus with nothing but footage of Bryan tapping out the Briscoes.
And of course much more.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's a failure of the writers and the agents (but mostly just Vince/idiot daughter/doofus son in law). I'd much rather see the people responsible suffer than dudes with the best intentions doing their jobs as well as can be expected being punished for something they have no control over.

This is why I respond 2x towards Otunga. It's obvious he's not the best - but it's also obvious he loves the business and loves what he's doing. Bonus from me.

How am I expected to give a shit about - and hand over money for - a PPV when WWE does not give a single fuck themselves?

Pretty sure WWE logic goes "Lesnar is on the card so you'll buy it", the bazillion promos for him on Raw pretty much push the point home.
They don't even need to bother making an effort for anything else with this logic, why else would Cody and Big show have a mystery stipulation? simply because WWE haven't decided yet because who cares? WE'VE GOT LESNAR.

On that note lets guess the stipulation for Rhodes/Show, extreme rules gives plenty of options but i'm going to go with something completely baffling like a dance off for the US title, Big Show's been learning from the Punjabi Playboy I wager.

Ultratech

David Otunga wasn’t at the show for a very good reason — he’s participating in the trial of William Balfour, the guy charged with murdering his fiance’s mother, brother and nephew. So it’s with a h/t to reader Robert Olker that while I would never want to make light of that situation, I have to show you this terrible-ass courtroom sketch of David Otunga.

Man, that artist needs to be fired. Looks like nothing like Otunga.

This weeks Best and Worst of Raw is up! Yay!

Some highlights include this drawing of David Otunga from Hudson's trial:
Worst: This Courtroom Sketch Of David Otunga

Looks like an old civil rights character and a Makoto palette swap.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
-1 To the artist, does not look like Otunga
+700 To Otunga for wearing a bowtie outside of kayfabe, I can only assume he had his coffee thermos with him as well

You know he did. He brought it with him to Whitney Houston's funeral.

Top Bottom