• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Aquaman' Finds Its Black Manta with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, who starred in Netflix’s Baz Luhrmann show The Get Down, is in early talks to put on his wetsuit for Warner Bros. Aquaman movie.

The actor has nabbed the part of Black Manta, one of the DC Comics villains. Director James Wan and the studio have been meeting with numerous actors for the part for the past two weeks, settling on Abdul-Mateen over the weekend. The official offer went out yesterday and the parties are now in talks.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/aquaman-finds-black-manta-villain-get-down-actor-970629

yahya_abdul-mateen_black_manta.jpg

Don't know that actor but if Black Manta if the villain in the Aquaman movie, at least DC is doing one thing right. Most tenacious scuba diver in the history of the world. I believe in James Wan.

Hope for the best.
But wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as sidekick to the main baddie and is killed off at the end.

Must be some pop culture related karma
Manta will seem like the main villain to Aquaman while Ocean Master pulls strings in the background. I think they could go two ways with this:

1. If the audience is shown early who Ocean Master really is, they'll kill him off and have Manta take over for the sequel.
2. If OM's identity is a mystery til the end, they'll kill off Manta and have him be the next big bad.

Dude was hilarious in get down. Fine with this

Really surprised it wasn't mahershala tho. Either he turned it down or they're saving him for Green Lantern

Kevinroc

Who is being cast as Kaldur?

let me dream

Looking at this thread led me to thinking about how much work the Young Justice cartoon put into Black Manta and I would love it if even a fraction of that could be reflected in the Aquaman movie. And Kaldur is a big part of that.

We will get none of that, unfortunately.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if they go the route of Black Manta being this external terrorist force that's secretly in on Orm's scheme to grab power.

FZZ

Banned
This will be the best DCU movie

And watch it be the best superhero movie of the past decade as well

Aquaman GOAT

Penguin

Ross61

Is Black Manta going to make Ocean Master get him BET underwater?
No, he's going to ask for a part of Atlantis where black people can live.

An aside, but Yahya Abdul-Mateen II beat out Trevante Rhodes and Corey Hawkins for the role.

G-Fex

This just might be the first good DCEU movie... please be good.

Imagine they purposely made all the DC movies shit so when Aquaman comes out it's the greatest comic book movie and therefore all the Aquaman hate and jokes are instantly gone and it's the top tier superhero in movies and comics.

Aquaman is far more interesting than other heroes tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom