• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii) Discussion Thread [JP date = 4th June]

Xelinis

Design aside, the game's graphics engine actually looks a lot like Eternal Sonata's, just not as detailed.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Hooray for more turn-based RPGs!

Good staff working on this one so I won't let myself get too hyped.

Threi

notag
Huh i skipped over the thread a couple times.

*looks at scans*

oh SHIT WAT

DAY ONE BITCHES

also...the artstyle seems to resemble Eureka Seven. I am assuming its the same guys?

Dascu

Threi said:
Huh i skipped over the thread a couple times.

*looks at scans*

oh SHIT WAT

DAY ONE BITCHES

also...the artstyle seems to resemble Eureka Seven. I am assuming its the same guys?
Yes, same art director.

Edit: Listen to duckroll.

Twig

Banned
Threi said:
Hah, was just about to say that.
duckroll said:
It's not the art director. Just the character designer.
Aha!

Hm. I dunno if I want it. Lately I've been craving some JRPG action (which is odd considering I don't really like them anymore!) so I'll keep an eye on it. Looks... like your stereotypical JRPG story, though.

/shrug

Twig

Banned
duckroll said:
It's by the scenario writer of Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss. Expect INFERIOR BEINGS! :lol
I uh... haven't played any Tales game since Tales of Phantasia on an emulator about ten years ago. >_>

botticus

TheOneGuy said:
I uh... haven't played any Tales game since Tales of Phantasia on an emulator about ten years ago. >_>
Well, now you know what to expect. Not that I consider having anyone from the Symphonia staff anything but a good thing, mind you.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Off-Topic: I've always wanted to ask this, but why are scans banned? Copyright infringement I assume? Should be no problem with Japanese scans though...

On-Topic: All this hype from an art style? I should check it out.

*checks*

Ehhh turn-based, but looks good I suppose~

WTF Anemone?

And why do princes always have blonde hair and/or are pretty boys? >_>

RJT

Andrex said:
Off-Topic: I've always wanted to ask this, but why are scans banned? Copyright infringement I assume? Should be no problem with Japanese scans though...
So, there is no problem in pirating Japanese games? I bet there's no problem in killing Japanese people too. We all know the Japanese have no rights...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RJT said:
So, there is no problem in pirating Japanese games? I bet there's no problem in killing Japanese people too. We all know the Japanese have no rights...

Those are not even remotely comparable. There haven't been many cases of lawsuits against scanlators or anime translators, certainly one or two big cases but not much else.

Besides isn't it in the devs' best interest to get such info out to the largest audience possible? Just seems like one of those arbitrary GAF things. :p

birdchili

the style doesn't do much for me, but assuming this is legitimately turn based, it's what... the second or third straight turn-based jrpg this gen? (blue dragon, and i suppose arguably lost odyssey?)

speedpop said:
Hooray for more turn-based RPGs!
yeah, that. hopefully they make a good remote-only interface.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
birdchili said:
the style doesn't do much for me, but assuming this is legitimately turn based, it's what... the second or third straight turn-based jrpg this gen? (blue dragon, and i suppose arguably lost odyssey?)

Pokemon Battle Revolution? :p

botticus

Andrex said:
Those are not even remotely comparable. There haven't been many cases of lawsuits against scanlators or anime translators, certainly one or two big cases but not much else.

Besides isn't it in the devs' best interest to get such info out to the largest audience possible? Just seems like one of those arbitrary GAF things. :p
If the devs want to release screenshots on the internet, then I imagine they would. But unfortunately they tend to give them to Famitsu first. And Famitsu is the one who would have issues with people posting scans, not the devs.

Very surprised that this game looks... really nice.

GCX

Graphically it's pretty impressive but the character designs are so damn boring.

Still keeping my eye on it though..

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
botticus said:
If the devs want to release screenshots on the internet, then I imagine they would. But unfortunately they tend to give them to Famitsu first. And Famitsu is the one who would have issues with people posting scans, not the devs.

Very surprised that this game looks... really nice.

But Famitsu wouldn't, that's my point. :p Most-if not all- Japanese publications wouldn't.

RJT

Andrex said:

A remember a moderator saying GAF was on some Japanese publications radar, so it probably had to do with that.

EDIT: Moving on, then...

About the game, the Wii is my first console since the NES (when I was like 5 yrs) and I was anxious to try JRPGs, a genre I never explored (except trying an emulated FF6 and CT just to see what the hype was about). I actually liked what I saw, so I've been waiting for JRPGs to hit the Wii since launch. It seems I will get a few, but I was hoping for more...

BTW, is there anything worth trying on the VC?

DataBot said:
Most impressive RPG on Wii .
I get somehow FF8 vibes from it my No.1 FF game ever.

Day 1.

Probably because of the screen where they are fighting the flying bugs on the beach. I thought the exact same thing.

Neomoto

Looks awesome! More and more Japanese rpg's hitting the Wii is only a good thing. Also, fuck yeah @ Marvelous. The best 3rd party on Wii imo and one of the better Japanese 3rd parties this generation.

Evilink said:
oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, another rpg for Wii...Arc Rise Fantasia, Tales, that other dark end of the world one, can't remember the name...but yeah, I'm excited!
You forgot Rune Factory Frontier ;)

birdchili said:
the gaf thread on luminous arc doesn't inspire much confidence. <frown>

Only part of the LA staff is working on it, with the rest being others. Plus, this isn't a SRPG, so it'll be harder to mess up in the same way.

Desi

Not a fan of the characters. The story writers aren't a big plus for me neither. Though I'll probably pick this up without a doubt.

abstract alien said:
pretty much...
On the gameplay side, whats going on with it? Exactly what type of play is this going to have?

Turn based battles. The characters all share AP, so you can do a super move with one character, but that can effect what your other characters can do.

AceBandage said:
Turn based battles. The characters all share AP, so you can do a super move with one character, but that can effect what your other characters can do.
Hmmmm, interesting...could be some nice strategy involved if its forced over the gameplay enough.

-MB-

Evilink said:
oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, another rpg for Wii...Arc Rise Fantasia, Tales, that other dark end of the world one, can't remember the name...but yeah, I'm excited!

With end of world u mean World Destruction? If so, that's a DS title, not Wii.

Whoo... finally saw them. Not nearly as nice as duck said, but looks like a solid effort on the Wii. Seems a fair bit better than ToSKoR, ignoring frame rate differences. Seems like no decal eyes, for example. CG is terrible though, IMO, it's sporting that angol fear look... bleh.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
RJT said:
BTW, is there anything worth trying on the VC?

Breath of Fire II! Get there immediately!

On-Topic: yea, the game looks cool. Wonder how it controls.

Top Bottom