• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Archives announced for Switch (old Nintendo arcade games retouched)

Forget about the GBA games in the 3DS ambassador program, did we? They never sold anyone of them, ever. Watch how it will happen again here.

That's weird I have several of them on my Wii U

Also the NES/SNES Online Games have no bearing on N64, GameCube, Wii, GameBoy, GBA, DS, etc etc. Wii U has Virtual Console games from every Nintendo system except 3DS and GameCube. There's no reason at all to think those games won't eventually come to Switch in some way. We still don't even have all the details for the NES/SNES games as it is.

Kovacs

Priced £6.29 on the Coming Soon section of the UK eshop.

That feels high to me, but in-line with the NeoGeo titles so I guess people will be happy to pay it.

But Vs. Super Mario Bros. does have this awesome piece of music for the high score table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDu0gJAXd6A

It was remixed a grand total of once, in the multiplayer / download screen of some GBA Mario game, but I forgot what...

The remix was in Super Mario Advance 4 (the Mario 3 remake) on the world select screen. IIRC you have to beat the game once per save before you could move between worlds at will to hear it (otherwise you're just on whichever world you've progressed to like in vanilla Mario 3).

https://youtu.be/IFD3Wis0nkQ

brad-t

I believe Nintendo officially confirmed that those games are unrelated to the Virtual console.

Not exactly—they just haven't confirmed (or denied) the existence of a Virtual Console for Switch at all. I personally don't believe they'll use that name again.

Regarding Donkey Kong

Nintendo has never rereleased it (outside of the inclusion in that one DK64 level) because they probably don't actually own the rights to it.

Many of Nintendo's earliest arcade games, Donkey Kong included, were programmed by an outside company named Ikegami Tsushinki when Nintendo themselves didn't really have many in-house programmers. When Nintendo reverse engineered the code to make Donkey Kong Jr. by themselves, Ikegami Tsushinki sued Nintendo and argued that they owned DK's programming. They settled out of court.

How was it able to be included in DK64?

PSFan

Regarding Donkey Kong

Nintendo has never rereleased it (outside of the inclusion in that one DK64 level) because they probably don't actually own the rights to it.

Many of Nintendo's earliest arcade games, Donkey Kong included, were programmed by an outside company named Ikegami Tsushinki when Nintendo themselves didn't really have many in-house programmers. When Nintendo reverse engineered the code to make Donkey Kong Jr. by themselves, Ikegami Tsushinki sued Nintendo and argued that they owned DK's programming. They settled out of court.

This doesn't sound right at all. I'm gonna need some more proof. I remember reading Shiggy coded DK himself when he was tasked with converting N's Sea Hunt, or whatever machines into something else. He actually wanted to make DK a Popeye game, Bluto would have been DK, Olive would be Pauline and Mario would have been Popeye. Nintendo couldn't get the rights at the time or something like that.

Rare remade it from scratch IIRC

Again, gonna need some more proof.

This doesn't sound right at all. I'm gonna need some more proof. I remember reading Shiggy coded DK himself when he was tasked with converting N's Sea Hunt, or whatever machines into something else. He actually wanted to make DK a Popeye game, Bluto would have been DK, Olive would be Pauline and Mario would have been Popeye. Nintendo couldn't get the rights at the time or something like that.

You mean Radar Scope.

And Shigeru Miyamoto isn't a programmer.

You're not going to get the "proof" you seek, because Nintendo settled with Ikegami Tsushinki out of court due to a lawsuit regarding the rights to the game's code in the early 80's and they will likely never make this information available to the public. But it is absolutely true that elements of Nintendo's early arcade works were outsourced for programming purposes.

Read this article if you'd like to learn more.

And Nintendo doesn't own the rights to this code either?

I'd have to assume they do, but have no interest in re-releasing it on its own, for whatever reason. They have re-released Donkey Kong 64 on the Wii U Virtual Console, which contains this version of the game.

There is definitely a complex relationship between Nintendo and the rights to the arcade versions of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. We simply don't know all that much about the situation, because Nintendo hasn't made this information public.

d+pad

I'd have to assume they do, but have no interest in re-releasing it on its own, for whatever reason. They have re-released Donkey Kong 64 on the Wii U Virtual Console, which contains this version of the game.

There is definitely a complex relationship between Nintendo and the rights to the arcade versions of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. We simply don't know all that much about the situation, because Nintendo hasn't made this information public.

Sigh. Whatever's up with DK and DK Jr's arcade code, I really wish Nintendo would work out the issues and release these games as part of the Arcade Archives series. Not only are both games wonderful, but the arcade versions are so much better than their NES counterparts that I've never been able to get myself to pay for digital versions of the latter. (I own the original Famicom carts, but I refuse to buy their VC ports.)

Top Bottom