• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Fire announce new album Everything Now, out July 28, titular single out now

I'll be down if it comes out early. TBH this album cycle still seems just a step below the corniness that followed the marketing for Reflektor so I'm ready to get this over with and hear the album in full already.

They've already put out almost half the album already anyway?

Blader

Electric Blue is up on Spotify now

Also a good vid of another new song: Chemistry

on first listen, I'm digging Electric Blue (Regine lead vocals are always welcome) but Chemistry feels kind of repetitive.

chaislip3

Electric Blue is real good. Dream pop with some Tom Tom Club mixed in there. Also holy shit at some of those high notes Regine hits

Tall4Life

Electric Blue is a bit better than Signs of Life and Creature Comfort, but that isn't saying much.

YIKES AF, what happened to you

Man, I wish Regine sang lead more often. That said, though Electric Blue is my favorite single from the album so far, it doesn't really hold a candle to other Regine songs, and I'm very, very worried about this album still.

None of this new material sounds like it has any teeth at all. I didn't love Reflektor at first either, and that grew on me eventually, so I'm not about to cut out yet, but I feel that all the warning signs of steep decline are here.

Haven't listened to electric blue yet but I stopped signs of life midway through to watch a video and comoletely forgot about it.

Everything Now is the only half decent single so far and Creature Comfort is the worst song they've ever done. I stopped caring about Arcade Fire more after Reflektor but this is just sad.

Listened to Electric Blue, best instrumental of the new singles in my opinion but holy shiiiit is Regine's voice grating for a good 90% of it.

And since I'm a sane person I love her in Sprawl II and all but man, not a fan of this.

Looking like it's gonna be Neon Bible> Funeral> The Suburbs>> Reflektor>> Everything Now for me.

Tall4Life

Listened to Electric Blue, best instrumental of the new singles in my opinion but holy shiiiit is Regine's voice grating for a good 90% of it.

And since I'm a sane person I love her in Sprawl II and all but man, not a fan of this.

Looking like it's gonna be Neon Bible> Funeral> The Suburbs>> Reflektor>> Everything Now for me.
Everything looks right about your order but you accidentally put Neon Bible first, easy mistake, just make sure to fix that next time!

Blader

It's weird to see people criticize Arcade Fire lyrics as cringe, then put Neon Bible at #1. I like it, but it's such an over-the-top piece of work.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
They've been mediocre/bland for a long time.

Neon Bible > Funeral >>> Reflektor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Suburbs

omg the Suburbs is a masterpiece. It nearly eclipses Funeral (maybe without some of the padding it would).

As I've continued listening to Electric Blue, I think it's my favorite of the new singles. At least the most beautiful of them. I think Everything Now will be more of the killer live song, but man EB is good

liquidtmd

Banned
Funeral > Suburbs >>> Reflektor > Neon Bible but I do like them all

Hoping the new album flows well. I enjoy their Albums as complete works

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Funeral > Suburbs >>> Reflektor > Neon Bible but I do like them all

Hoping the new album flows well. I enjoy their Albums as complete works

yeah, that was another point I wanted to make, AF is one of the few bands out there still making true albums that are cohesive pieces.

And I mean, at some level, AF has never had a hit.

That has worked against them in places (maybe we're too accostumed to single-based albums now to tolerate B-sides... or maybe AF's success on Funeral with basically 0 B-Side level songs...) - but overall each album has something to say, each album has seen them grow and evolve from a sonic perspective.

Funeral and the Suburbs are masterful albums. They magically transport you.

it feels weird to keep listening to all these singles out of the context of the album. I want to not listen and wait but I can't. (I used to...)

groansey

Creature Comfort is the worst song they've ever done.

giphy.gif

jstripes

Banned
yeah, that was another point I wanted to make, AF is one of the few bands out there still making true albums that are cohesive pieces.

That has worked against them in places (maybe we're too accostumed to single-based albums now to tolerate B-sides... or maybe AF's success on Funeral with basically 0 B-Side level songs...) - but overall each album has something to say, each album has seen them grow and evolve from a sonic perspective.

it feels weird to keep listening to all these singles out of the context of the album. I want to not listen and wait but I can't. (I used to...)

I'm guessing you don't live in Canada. Singles from all their albums get regular airplay here.

Tall4Life

A lot of non-pop artists still do full "album" albums though. Most, really.

FaintDeftone

At first, the vocals in Electric Blue were jarring, but after a few listens it's really grown on me. I've heard a better voice come out of Regine, though.

Huh?
Don't use Silicon Valley against me :(

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Huh?

Don't use Silicon Valley against me :(

Seriously.

Only once have they made the Top 100 list, with Reflektor, at 99.

Their best performance on Alternative Songs was RTS at 16, Reflektor at 17, Everythign Now at 22,
Alt Adult - Everything Now is up to 3rd, which is their best performance on that chart, Modern Man hit 8th, Reflektor 11th
Everything Now - 31st on the Top Twitter Tracks chart
Reflektor hit 14 and RTS 20 on the Billboard Heatseakers list.
On Demand Streaming chart? Reflektor hit 50th

Rock Airplay? Everything Now is highest at 18th, (Reflektor hit 24th, Afterlife 43rd)
Rock digital song sales? Everything Now is topped at 10th (Reflektor at 15, RTS at 18, Abraham's Daughter at 26)

So by every metric, they've gotten some play, but they've never had a hit or anything really close to one.

They do have 2 #1 albums though (and I'm assuming a third in a couple weeks)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The song never feels like it goes anywhere with Regine just staying in a falsetto the whole time while her voice is muddled by a noisy synth.

That's where I am, I think.

2 for 4 on the new album so far. Feeling kind of iffy.

Manzanas

Neo Member
Wow that song impressed me right off the bat. I hated both Creature Comfort and Signs of Life first listens, and now I love them all; except for Signs of Life (its ok).
Really looking forward to the full album!

Maengun1

My ranking of their albums would actually be release order, best to worst lol. I liked them all though, but Reflektor didn't stick with me like the others did (I honestly don't think I've listened to a song from it since like....2 months after it came out).

So far I like the new songs, but not blown away.

Wow Electric Blue is something else (read: great)! It's like Regine is trying to go full Wing lol.

We ranking the albums huh? Neon Bible > Reflektor > Suburbs >> Funeral. Putting that list out there I feel like I'll be in fine shape for what they are doing here.

ghostjoke

Banned
They're really not letting this infusion of dance go, are they?

More an observation than any kind of critique. I'm interested how all this sounds as a whole.

Mifune

Mehmber
starting to feel like this album is gonna get dumped on critically...

Maybe not dumped on but definitely not as warmly received.

I didn't love Reflektor but the title track alone had more soul than all of these new ones combined. They sound slick and lifeless, dance music sapped of every ounce of joy or fun or energy.

Mistle

Electric Blue is OK but thinking back on Spawl II and such, it's just not quite there for me. I was listening to The Suburbs the other day and it made me realise that not a single song off Everything Now has really impressed me. I like them all, but yeah.. Actually strike that. Just relistened to every song released so far and they're great. I think it's just Electric Blue that I don't dig.

I'm not really into low-key electronic music that seems to be in right now. I like my music to be a bit more exciting and surprising.

sphagnum

Banned
I've come around on Signs of Life, so I think it's all been pretty good so far (except Chemistry, but we don't really have a clear recording of it yet). Electric Blue is kind of bare bones in its lyrics though and I wish Regine used some different range in it.

It's pretty funny that the wingdings at the end of the Signs of Life video say "Jet fuel can't melt steel beams".

Top Bottom