• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Fire announce new album Everything Now, out July 28, titular single out now

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I liked "Everything Now" a lot, but "Creature Comfort" is on another level. Damn.

Tall4Life

Not a fan of either single so far, and I really really loved Funeral and The Suburbs... Creature Comfort especially is just kind of unexciting, and its unnerving how badly every line flows from each other due to the lack of rhyme. Expectations are lowered.

I almost wish the new Arcade Fire songs just completely sucked and had a bunch of wrong notes. It would be easier to get over for me than having my old favourite band making completely functional music that makes me feel nothing.
Oh well. They don't owe me anything. I just used to really love their music. Especially The Suburbs and Neon Bible.

Blader

Creature Comfort is excellent. I was a little unsure of it when I first heard the live takes, but I've listened to the song at least 10 times now.

Flashbulb Eyes is ok; I used to hate it, now I just think it's kind of annoying. Windowsill is probably my least favorite AF song. The instruments sound nice, but "I don't wanna live in America no more" probably tops the list of Win's cringiest lyrics.

chaislip3

Official tracklist
DDa1n93WAAA21Dk.jpg
Signs of Life is out on Friday
https://twitter.com/arcadefire/status/880082786073358336

Mistle

signs of life sounded just OK from the live version, but I really dig the studio recording haha. feels like there's more tension to the song when hearing it properly.

Signs of Life is on Spotify, Apple Music etc.

Feels like The Clash doing Rock the Cashbah.

In other words: rockband that does disco.

Have to listen to it more to form a good opinion, but its less accessible than Everything Now and Creature Comfort. That isnt a bad thing at all, often when I listened to a record a lot the songs that didn't click with me in the beginning, end up being the best ones.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
creature comfort lyrics are horrible. really distractingly bad. I love everything now though, curious to hear signs of life.

creature comfort lyrics are horrible. really distractingly bad. I love everything now though, curious to hear signs of life.

Live version of creature comfort from primavera that was on youtube was better because the lyrics were harder to make out and the music had more oomph. Thats always the danger of hearing live versions before the recorded songs.

Pedrito

Cool video. I also prefer the album version over the live one, which is often the case for their slower/quieter songs.

As someone who hasn't really been a gigantic Arcade Fire fan(I did like Neon Bible a lot when it first came out), this new shit is fire to me. All three of the new singles are great. I can definitely see how the lyrics could be seen as self-serious/heavy-handed, but haven't they always had lyrics like that? Like part of the reason I didn't like The Suburbs is cuz some of that shit was just too on-the-nose/serious for me. The new stuff really works for me though, personally

Everything Now I guess is the most like older Arcade Fire stuff but it's also really good. The darker kind of punchy lo-fi synth disco thing on the other singles though, those are really great. Especially Signs of Life

chaislip3

I'd love to be wrong and I don't doubt it will be a good album but I really think this will be their worst album in regards to critics

Definitely a possibility. I mainly just posted it because it was an overview of each song on the album and I thought some of the descriptions were pretty intriguing.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I really don't get why people care what music critics think when music is so freely and easily accessible.

It is really annoying that there are still 24 days until release and we've had 3 singles already. I don't understand this release schedule - Arcade Fire are so big they don't need to hype it up.

burgervan

The instrumentals on Creature Comfort are good, but the lyrics are so terrible that it makes it unlistenable.

What lines specifically are terrible to you?

I've heard several people complain about the lyrics, but I don't quite get it. I mean, they're very simple and direct, but I see that as a positive.

Gobias

Banned
What lines specifically are terrible to you?

I've heard several people complain about the lyrics, but I don't quite get it. I mean, they're very simple and direct, but I see that as a positive.

The lyrics kind of lose me from the opening.

Some boys hate themselves
Spend their lives resenting their fathers
Some girls hate their bodies
Stand in the mirror and wait for the feedback

Maybe I just hate his delivery, but it sounds like they were written by a 12 year old. There's nothing said here that's unique or interesting. I wouldn't mind if they were easier to ignore

I liked Signs of Life.

slider

The lyrics were jarring at first. But, honestly, after I realised they were "jarring" cos of the lack of something simple like rhyming couplets, I've listened to Creature Comforts loads since. The "she was a friend of mine" line gives it a lot more weight too imo. It may well be my favourite AF song.

Travo

Maybe Creature Confort will be their worst song and everything else is phenomenal. I really do like the other two songs.

Mistle

i think the lyrics can sound overly direct just from his delivery. he sings in a pretty dry manner, with the end of each line kind of dragging. plus his usual vocal FX of fast delay (echo) isn't there, or if it is it's less prominent. i like the song but the dryness of the vocals did stand out to me when I first heard it, especially after hearing the live version.

Blader

I like the CC lyrics just fine. The only strange thing that stands out to me about the song is Regine screaming out her vocals.

Hazzuh

The instrumentals on Creature Comfort are good, but the lyrics are so terrible that it makes it unlistenable.

Arcade Fire's lyrics have always been pretty on the nose but I've found the new songs pretty awful in this regard, not sure what has changed in particular though.

Pedrito

Arcade Fire's lyrics have always been pretty on the nose but I've found the new songs pretty awful in this regard, not sure what has changed in particular though.

"I don't wanna live in america no more"

Thanks Win! We would have missed that metaphor otherwise.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
"Signs of Life" is the first song from the album that didn't do much for me.

"Creature Comfort" still rocks, lyrics are great, etc

Blader

"I don't wanna live in america no more"

Thanks Win! We would have missed that metaphor otherwise.

haha yeah, I feel like if you can get through Windowsill, then you've crossed threshold for cringey Win lyric tolerance.

Anyway, there's a rumor going that the album will actually drop early next Friday.

big ander

haha yeah, I feel like if you can get through Windowsill, then you've crossed threshold for cringey Win lyric tolerance.

Anyway, there's a rumor going that the album will actually drop early next Friday.
Hmmm where's the rumor coming from? Because if it's fan speculation then I'll file it away with "Kendrick is releasing 'NATION.' next week!" and "there's definitely a King of Limbs Pt 2 coming"

Top Bottom