• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Fire announce new album Everything Now, out July 28, titular single out now

Bread

Banned
“After careful and sometimes agonizing consideration,” says Jared Fleming, Arcade Fire’s longtime lawyer, “the band contends their signature ‘Wa-oh-wa-oh’ sequence has been plagiarized by several top acts, and therefore seeks fair and just compensation.”
LMAO

this is amazing

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck? That's incredibly lame.

Edit: oh. Wait what

Bread

Banned
win-workout.jpeg

THE WIN BUTLER SHREDDED ROCK STAR WORKOUT

- 20 bicep curls with guitar or dumbbells
- 20 ax swings / wood choppers with guitar or cable machine
- 20 crunches on medicine ball or incline bench
- 20 plyo push-ups
- Run in place while waving arms for one minute
i love these guys

Kinda half cringing half chuckling at those fake articles. These dudes must know a lot of people are getting irritated by them if they are poking fun at themselves like this.

chaislip3

Album's leaked, y'all.

Two listens in, and I really like it. Put Your Money on Me and We Don't Deserve Love are some of their best tracks, imo.

Similar to Reflektor, the first half is a bit scatterbrained, but the second half is really, really good.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Album's leaked, y'all.

Two listens in, and I really like it. Put Your Money on Me and We Don't Deserve Love are some of their best tracks, imo.

Similar to Reflektor, the first half is a bit scatterbrained, but the second half is really, really good.

I'll hold out for official, but maybe with the leak they drop it or put it on NPR or something

Tall4Life

Gonna listen now. The only single that I've had even a remotely positive response for is Everything Now, which is still at meh tier, so I'm not expecting much

It's a vinyl rip so quality won't be what it should but whatever

Manzanas

Neo Member
Yea this leak is horrible quality compared to the singles I bought. Not going to bother listening to it.
I'm just going to wait a week until my preorder comes in the mail.

Listening to the leak now and I've got this feeling that Win and co. are making Arcade Fire albums now cuz they have to and it makes them a lot of money. The last couple songs are good but the others are not. Infinite Content is a throwaway ditty but they do it TWICE and it's meant to be the centerpiece of the album! No bueno.

Tall4Life

Put Your Money On Me is freaking awesome, love it. We Dont Deserve Love is awesome too. Chemistry is ok, Peter Pan is ok. Singles are still trash.

Infinite Content and Infinite_Content should get Arcade Fire banned from making music though. Absolute trash tier. Trump will probably use those two "songs" as a torture mechanism.

Because of those two alone this album is a 5/10.

Servbot24

Banned
This band has been a punchline for a while, and this album is definitely not going to change that. Had to use headphones because this is embarrassing to listen to.

edit: K, finished. I listened to this just because I like to be aware of how popular bands are sounding but I wish I hadn't. I would be a happier person having not heard this. It sounds like they're trying to punish us. I knew the band had fallen but this is worse than I could have imagined.

Also why are they so obsessed with calling out cool/modern kids? We get it, you make music for people who need to think they're above everyone else. Move on.

Ugh. Anyways at least I can move on and try to purge that from my mind.

Mistle

I'm really liking this on first listen. A little cheesy at times yeah but I don't care. Digging the sounds and the variety. I imagine it will only grow on me too. Liking it more than Reflektor on first impression tbh! (though honestly too early to call, I like Reflektor)

I miss their bombastic loud side though, Creature Comfort is the only song that really turns it up to 11. It's a pretty chill album overall, it could have had a bit more excitement I guess. Looking forward to future listens and getting to understand the album properly.

ghostjoke

Banned
An7V5dl.gif

This except the first half is a flat "eh?"

"Put Your Money on Me" and "We Don't Deserve Love" sound like they fell out of another album. I want that album.

Tall4Life

It's kind of crazy that they didn't release Put Your Money on Me as a single. Cut it down for radio and it could've been a pretty big hit. Has EDM elements, optimistic love, etc. It's like, made for this summer.

This is a good album. Had a very enjoyable couple of listens through so far. It feels a lot more focused than Reflektor, with only Infinite Content being a real meh moment.

Dies Iræ

I love this record.

It's playful, soulful, and warm. The country/blues influences really ground the album. The record is a call to youth to search for genuine meaning. It rejects "filling" our homes and our minds, in favour of filling our hearts (Everything Now) and then argues that only this will enable people to avoid dependence on creature comforts. It illustrates the strength of youthful innocence (Peter Pan), satirizes the crassly superficial nature of consumption (Infinite Content), and asserts the timeless value of devotion (Good God Damn) and personal relationships (Put Your Money On Me).

This is a confident record that looks at the world and sees a lot worth celebrating. It's a far cry from the cold, cynical politics of Reflektor, an album that felt joyless by its own right. Everything Now feels like the same band that wrote Funeral, except older, less neurotic, more open-minded about the lighter side of life, and concerned that youth today are getting lost in the aimlessness of consumer culture, media, and politics. This isn't an album that decries the world as vapid or meaningless; to the contrary, this is a record that says wake up and start focusing on what genuinely matters in life before it's too late.

This is a good album. Had a very enjoyable couple of listens through so far. It feels a lot more focused than Reflektor, with only Infinite Content being a real meh moment.

Infinitely Content is a tough track to enjoy. I'm pretty sure it's satire. And I think it's meant to juxtapose a crass version of what it means to be "infinitely content" (content defined as happy with one's life) with a second version of what it means to be infinitely content. Both kinds of contentment are possibilities. The former represents the crass superficiality that most people are stuck with, which is unsatisfactory. This crass version results from filling one's mind and one's room, to the exclusion of one's heart. The second represents a deeper contentment that can only be earned through focusing on devotion, love, and relationships (Peter Pan, Put Your Money On Me) and by consciously abandoning the American Dream ("it leaves you baby, if you let it leave"). I might be wrong.

I still love the band but this album feels like a complete misfire.

In fact, it feels almost entirely like U2's album Pop. They seem to be following the same marketing style as well. I'm surprised that they're not in partnership on K-Mart to be tongue in cheek like U2 was.

Arcade Fire is taking some risks here with the sound and production. It feels like an evolution of Reflektor more than anything else. Perhaps like Pop some elements of it will grow on me over the years.

liquidtmd

Banned
Listened to it this afternoon.

Wouldn't have made it past track 3 if it hadn't been Arcade Fire. Their worst album by quite a margin.

Funeral and The Suburbs are still in my top 50 of all time though

Liking this album a lot but I think I also have a much higher tolerance for goofy indie dance music than most people do. But lyrically this is easily their worst. The only tracks that stand out lyrically are Put Your Money On Me and We Don't Deserve Love.

And good god did this line from Chemistry stand out in a bad way:

Go to the city, go to the store
Ask for a loan from another bank

A. The song has conditioned us to expect a rhyme there
B. That lyric has nothing to do with the rest of the song
C. Even if it did, it's still a bad hamfisted lyric

big ander

My friend found the cd in a Target today with a clearance sticker on it. Tried to buy it but it wouldn't scan so the manager said no. Couldn't help but wonder if it was part of the weird rollout, I've seen them joke about target on twitter.

Neifirst

I still love the band but this album feels like a complete misfire.

In fact, it feels almost entirely like U2's album Pop. They seem to be following the same marketing style as well. I'm surprised that they're not in partnership on K-Mart to be tongue in cheek like U2 was.

Arcade Fire is taking some risks here with the sound and production. It feels like an evolution of Reflektor more than anything else. Perhaps like Pop some elements of it will grow on me over the years.

If the album is akin to Pop i will be the happiest man alive. I've enjoyed all 4 singles released thus far and can't wait to see them in September.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Nearly made it through the middle of the album. Holy hell these songs are so repetitive. Even the fast paced ones feel like they've got no real drive. From what I'm reading and hearing, it seems like they had 2/3rds worth of an album here and then a fat third in the middle of undercooked junk.

I know they've been good about putting out a new album around every three years, but man, I really think this one needed more time in the oven.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
What the hell is this ending? Like... it's brilliant, but it belongs at the end of a much better album. The last two songs are great, and then the reprise of Everything Now is beautiful, and invites you to reflect on everything that came before. But then I think chemistry chemistry chemistry and infinite content infinite content infinitely content we gotcha moneyyyy, and I'm just left with this weird feeling.

Definitely needed more time in the oven. Very solid beginning (sans maybe Signs of Life) alternately boring and awful middle, fantastic end. Feels like such missed potential.

Mau ®

I feel critics are just hopping on the hate bandwaggon for the sake of it. Now that P4K gave it a 5.0-ish review everyone will go in on it.

This is a decent record at worst. There's enough great songs on it to save it from being a terrible album.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I think it is hurt by the fact that they released four singles. It makes me not want to listen to the first half because I've heard it all so many times before.

Everything Now, Signs of Life, Creature Comfort, Put Your Money On Me and We Don't Deserve Love are all excellent songs.

Infinite Content, is solid, as is Chemistry. Peter Pan is just forgettable. I just really think the tone to Chemistry doesn't fit the band at all. It doesn't work.

I also think the marketing and theming of the album isn't really delivered in the songs.

Neifirst

Mau ®;244744701 said:
I feel critics are just hopping on the hate bandwaggon for the sake of it. Now that P4K gave it a 5.0-ish review everyone will go in on it.

This is a decent record at worst. There's enough great songs on it to save it from being a terrible album.

I quite like the record, but they'd probably garner better reviews if the Infinite Content - Infinite_Content sequence was cut.

WriterGK

They released to many singles. I liked Peter Pan on first listening but I don't really feel A Good God Damn and Infinite Content.

Blader

Mau ®;244744701 said:

I'll never understand why anyone cares about music reviews in the first place. Moves, TV, video games, sure -- those are huge time or money investments. But 99 percent of new music can be listened to on a $10-per-month streaming outlet that you probably have anyway, and new albums are almost always under an hour long. So why would anyone give a shit what Pitchfork or Rolling Stone or NME have to say about a new record? It's the most minimal investment in a piece of art or entertainment that you have to make.

Top Bottom