• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Gaming OT | bemani still exists? #ThanksKonami!

ChrisD

They didn't fix them? lol.

Apparently the Seattle location is getting Gunslinger Stratos 2 machines on Monday.

Our staff seems like cool people, but don't seem to care to actually fix issues with the machines. Not sure if they plan on putting new rubber on them or not. Took a number of months before one of the Taiko machines had it's broke-in-half drum sticks replaced, so come... June maybe. Lol.

Tried out Sound Voltex last night. Was able to play Level 7 (low, I'm sure =p) songs on it without being completely lost with the interface. Which is good, because it took me a minute to figure out the menu, leaving me with very little time to choose a difficulty. It's pretty fun, will have to include it in my trips.

japtor

Both? Modern arcades and the games that are inside.

Obviously not a MAME thread or whatever.
What about arcade games in someone's house?

I went to a shmupmeet a few years back and looking back at some (crappy) pictures one guy had like 15 cabs in his backyard (under a tent), and a deluxe Super GT machine. Another guy had an apartment with cabs everywhere, walk in the door and there was something like a Megalo 50 in the middle of the room, cabs and PVM monitors all around, 2-3 cabs in the kitchen. And another big screen cab outside in his parking spot.

TL21xx

Banned
Ah the arcade... I'm also an Austinite, so what RoryDropkick said on the last page for me. Pinballz is awesome for taking friends that are into the older stuff, and Arcade UFO is THE place in town for rhythm and fighting games. We just had the ITG pads foam modded, and it makes a surprising big difference.

Still need to go to Round 1 in Arlington sometime. Was able to hit up the two locations near LA when I was in Cali last summer and loved it.

Huh. I live in Seattle. Is this Round 1 thing really worth visiting?

Do they have IIDX?

Yes, they have two Copula machines, and both are kept in relatively good shape! You can also buy eamuse cards at the counter ($10 IIRC).

They also have PnM, Sound Voltex, and apparently Museca is in now too.

Iso*

Neo Member
Round1 is totally worth checking out. A good number of fighting, rhythm, and light shooter games (among plenty of other stuff like photo booths and ticket games) set up in an actual arcade. Credits aren't super cheap - expect each game to cost you at least a dollar - but for an occasional visit it's not bad.

As for IIDX, ours (Arlington, Texas) does, yeah. Two of them, actually. They were in immaculate condition for a loooong time, but recently the rubber was peeled off of the DJ spinners. A few weeks later, the same fate fell on the other machine. :/
Machine still works, but it's certainly not as comfortable as it was.

you go to the r1 in arlington? oh cool, ive been there a few times... i usually play sdvx cuz im actually mediocre at the game(10th dan, but i cant go often so i may be able to get 11th dan soon) ヽ(o^―^o)ノ

Keby

XCq0tpa.jpg
Seattle Round 1 has four Gunslinger Stratos machines. I had no idea what I was doing, but it was fun!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Bebpo

Banned
Heading to Japan for a few weeks. What are some Japan only arcade only games these days worth checking out? I'm looking forward to Maxi Boost. But anything else?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Heading to Japan for a few weeks. What are some Japan only arcade only games these days worth checking out? I'm looking forward to Maxi Boost. But anything else?

The majority are still JP only so maybe too many to list. What kind of games do you like? Anyway you can just play anything that catches your eye.

When are you going? If not too soon then check out the best upcoming arcade game aka Kantai Collection.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yes, they have two Copula machines, and both are kept in relatively good shape! You can also buy eamuse cards at the counter ($10 IIRC).

They also have PnM, Sound Voltex, and apparently Museca is in now too.

Oh FUCK.

I'm going. I'm so fucking going. Maybe this weekend.

Bebpo

Banned
The majority are still JP only so maybe too many to list. What kind of games do you like? Anyway you can just play anything that catches your eye.

When are you going? If not too soon then check out the best upcoming arcade game aka Kantai Collection.

Well, my local arcade here in California gets most of the music games and mainstream touch gimmicky games.

I'm more interested in core, non-music, games that aren't on consoles/portables. Shmups/Fighters/Action games. I know there's still a few fighters that are arcade only but most are getting home versions this year so don't care that much. Does the arcade shmup genre even exist anymore after Cave stopped?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Well, my local arcade here in California gets most of the music games and mainstream touch gimmicky games.

I'm more interested in core, non-music, games that aren't on consoles/portables. Shmups/Fighters/Action games. I know there's still a few fighters that are arcade only but most are getting home versions this year so don't care that much. Does the arcade shmup genre even exist anymore after Cave stopped?

Well it exists to an extent I guess but any shmup heavy arcade will still be mostly older cave titles. Which you're probably fine with!

Don't know what to recommend though, everything non-rhythm and non-fighting will be obvious enough to you and you'll be able to see if it looks interesting. Maybe try wonderland wars and dissidia and stuff. I barely play any new non-music releases.

Until Kancolle....

ChrisD

you go to the r1 in arlington? oh cool, ive been there a few times... i usually play sdvx cuz im actually mediocre at the game(10th dan, but i cant go often so i may be able to get 11th dan soon) ヽ(o^―^o)ノ

Cool to see another local (or somewhere nearby, we're twenty minutes out)!

Is dan what the difficulty levels are referred as? 10 sounds better than mediocre if 7 was engaging enough. But I understand the thought process, always striving for higher... Even if it comes out in that way. :p

Starviper

Are there any actual arcades left in Minnesota? I'm only aware of Dave & Buster's, the ________XL (can't remember the name, has bowling?) and one place out in Hopkins with a ton of pinball and pool tables. None of these carry any new games besides Dave & Busters, but it's usually only 1 new game among many old ones.

A Round1 opened near me a few months ago and I've been getting into SoundVoltex each time I've been there. Super fun game but man it hurts my wallet! Still on the beginner modes mostly, it's hard trying to twist the knobs and hit the buttons at the same time.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Congratulations on the circular link :)

The post I assume you meant to link to has no new news, all of those locations were listed in the previous quarterly fiscal report (which I read every quarter in the hopes of an AZ location announcement).

Wow, double destroyed.

S..sorry.

petran79

Banned
Last arcade experience was last year when a bowling alley had also few cabs.
Played Tekken 5.

But there are no big arcade malls anymore. Last one closed few years ago.
It had a lot of racing games, Virtua Tennis 3, new Virtua Striker, MAME cabs, Bubble Bobble 3, Metal Slug 3, some hunting game, Mazan etc
Though when I saw that it stopped renewing or bringing other games, it would not last that long. Arcade maintainance was also not that frequent. I felt I'd be much better playing on MAME or the arcade ports.

In retrospect, I wish I had spent more time there.

Shun

ponpo since america is getting game center expansion and more people go to tourism should we add a guide for people who do not know how to use the player card system?

Basically for those who are unfamiliar with modern game centers, most modern games run NFC card system where you can scan it for your player information. You still need to pay ¥100 or so depending on the game and older retro games that do not run online network is not a part of it, but it is like player profile for you.

There are basically 4 major player cards that belong to the 4 major networks that you can scan for your player profile.

Bandai Namco - BanaPass
SEGA ALL.NET- AIME

Taito - NESICA
Konami - e-Amusement

Sega and Bandai Namco share a system for years now so AIME card is basically obsolete, you can use a BanaPass on both Sega and Bandai Namco run games. Just register your card and link our Sega/Bannam ID to it.

Nesica cards only work with Nesica games like BlazBlue, Groove Coaster, etc.

Konami otoge use their own card system so yeah.

Registering a card is hella easy just go to the website and throw in the number on the back of your card to link to your account.

These player cards should work in America/Asia too. I have a JP Nesica/BanaPass and I'm pretty sure it can be read by the machine in america Round One.

Shun

Wrong, both special edition KanColle cards are Aime, so it's auto better than Banapass!!!
fp6FgpE.jpg
iM4zDZr.jpg

Also on topic to your post, Nesica made an English instruction document recently:

http://www.nesica.info/uploads/2015/09/gctut9115.pdf

No one cares about those cards until they make one for Kaga/Kashima/Suzuya.

You mind as well use a BanaPass cuz better and more variety (ؓؒؒؑؑؖؔؓؒؐؐ⁼̴̀ωؘؙؖؕؔؓؒؑؐؕ⁼̴̀ )

iMAS Tekken Taiko so much to choose from for banapass.

Oh Nesica has in english? I mean I only ask cuz this is arcade topic and people will need to know if they play in arcade anyway.

cj_iwakura

For fear of sounding stupid, do JP arcades run strictly off of coins, a D&B-esque card system, what?

Don't tell me I need to buy a card for everything apart from IIDX(I'm ready for that)...

For fear of sounding stupid, do JP arcades run strictly off of coins, a D&B-esque card system, what?

Don't tell me I need to buy a card for everything apart from IIDX(I'm ready for that)...

Well to my surprise when playing Dissidia it was cheaper if I had some special card and I got game over after tutorial due to not having a special damn card. Shitty practice if you ask me. Especially playing a game that doesnt let you play more than once (without any information what so ever). I got burned really bad except for when I played Luigis Mansion or Tekken (since you can continue based on skill)

Most of them run on coins, (or cards) but some like at Taito Arcades they even take Pasmo cards which was cool (refill cards for public transport)

Peltz

Really wish we got new arcade games in NYC.

This city usually has everything, but it's severely lacking in this department.

Shun

Border Break X tho.

CeihgHvXIAQgNMm.jpg

storafötter;199200382 said:
Well to my surprise when playing Dissidia it was cheaper if I had some special card and I got game over after tutorial due to not having a special damn card. Shitty practice if you ask me. Especially playing a game that doesnt let you play more than once (without any information what so ever). I got burned really bad except for when I played Luigis Mansion or Tekken (since you can continue based on skill)

Most of them run on coins, (or cards) but some like at Taito Arcades they even take Pasmo cards which was cool (refill cards for public transport)

They've been pushing e-money for a while now and are pushing it more recently. Konami has pushed paseli for a while anyway.

Not just pasmo but suica support and other shit like kitaca, monoca, toica, etc.

Ninja Dom

What are some of the new arcade games that have come out this year and who makes them?

From being somebody that grew up in the London arcade scene of the 90's, I've completely lost touch.

Shun

Fuck sexual harassment keep your shit to yourself at game center. 👮🏼👮🏼👮🏼👮🏼👮🏼

What are some of the new arcade games that have come out this year and who makes them?

From being somebody that grew up in the London arcade scene of the 90's, I've completely lost touch.

Depends on what game you are interested and want to play.

There is 4 major companies who supply the network/machines and licensing for modern games and there are developers who make games that run on those networks.

So BlazBlue and Guilty Gear are made by Arc System Works but BB run on Taito Nesica while Guilty Gear is on Sega All Net.

There is arcade MOBA like Wonderland Wars, there is action games like Border Break, fighting game like Gundam and Tekken, music game like MaiMai, racing game like Initial D, card game like Lord of Vermilion. Some places focus on fighting games some have a wide variety of machines.

Depends on what you are interested in there is quite a variety.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Fuck sexual harassment keep your shit to yourself at game center. 👮🏼👮🏼👮🏼👮🏼👮🏼

This is the second time something like this happened recently and while I obviously condemn acts like that, I can't stop wondering how did they get that footage to upload.
Especially this one, since according to the tweet she didn't talk to the arcade staff yet.

Is this even real? smh otoge-ers. Going to have to watch myself when doing those arm raise moves in Chunithm.

Depends on what game you are interested and want to play.

There is 4 major companies who supply the network/machines and licensing for modern games and there are developers who make games that run on those networks.

So BlazBlue and Guilty Gear are made by Arc System Works but BB run on Taito Nesica while Guilty Gear is on Sega All Net.

There is arcade MOBA like Wonderland Wars, there is action games like Border Break, fighting game like Gundam and Tekken, music game like MaiMai, racing game like Initial D, card game like Lord of Vermilion. Some places focus on fighting games some have a wide variety of machines.

Depends on what you are interested in there is quite a variety.

All irrelevant soon once KanColle is out.

Keby

DDR Ace is coming to the US

Hell yeah for the first time since DDR X2 america is going to get DDR again. At select Dave and Busters locations.

Hopefully Round 1 gets it as well since they have support for eamuse. I wonder if DnB will start doing that as well.

Mesoian

DDR Ace is coming to the US

Hell yeah for the first time since DDR X2 america is going to get DDR again. At select Dave and Busters locations.

Hopefully Round 1 gets it as well since they have support for eamuse. I wonder if DnB will start doing that as well.

In my experience, the management at most DaB's don't have the patience to keep most machines running well, let alone put in networking options for the machines they have. Round 1 opening up in the area was a god send.

Keby

In my experience, the management at most DaB's don't have the patience to keep most machines running well, let alone put in networking options for the machines they have. Round 1 opening up in the area was a god send.

Round 1 has basically resurrected the Seattle bemani scene. Not that we were completely dead. Just in hiding haha.

Top Bottom