• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Gaming OT | bemani still exists? #ThanksKonami!

Anyone close to Round 1 Seattle? I'm thinking of getting back into DDR. It's been quite a while and I'm definitely out of shape for it, but I can't let that stop me.

I played IIDX at home but never had much of a chance to play on an actual arcade unit. Really happy that the bemani scene still exists today, even if it's small.

Yuuichi

Anyone close to Round 1 Seattle? I'm thinking of getting back into DDR. It's been quite a while and I'm definitely out of shape for it, but I can't let that stop me.

I played IIDX at home but never had much of a chance to play on an actual arcade unit. Really happy that the bemani scene still exists today, even if it's small.

I'm gonna be somewhere in the Seattle area all summer (mid june - early sept) and probably going every Saturday if you wanna meet sometime.

Apparently a Dance Evolution has appeared at Round1 Puente Hills. It's a dead game (no updates for a year now) but new to us and still cool:

q0VmFlW.jpg

Aw dangit, I was just literally at PHM R1 the other day but won't be in the area again for a couple months.

Heck I'll give it a shot when I'm there next. Does it have Max 300? Kappa

I'm shocked Groove Coaster didn't manage a western presence. It's a beautiful game.
Literally every not-Round1 who has tried to contact Taito to get officially supported has been told no. There is apparently some exclusivity deal that is effectively making it a non-starter for any other US arcade chain. There are a handful of independently owned cabinets but more or less run whatever software they happen to come with, with no official network support or upgrade potential at all.

cj_iwakura

Literally every not-Round1 who has tried to contact Taito to get officially supported has been told no. There is apparently some exclusivity deal that is effectively making it a non-starter for any other US arcade chain. There are a handful of independently owned cabinets but more or less run whatever software they happen to come with, with no official network support or upgrade potential at all.

This is why the Japanese industry can be such a damn bubble economy.

Sho Nuff

Banned
CHUNITHM AIR is kind of the shit, I was playing the crap out of it every night during my last visit to Japan. Here's a 360 video because that was the only way I could capture it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cewO5sLJjg0

It also has a bitchload of really good Sega music, including JSRF tracks AND original Takenobu Mitsuyoshi (AKA Singing Daytona Guy) tracks. It's super fun because you have to lift your hands in the air at certain times making for HOT STYLE

Oh, Takenobu also covers the Sailor Moon theme, FUCK YEAH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-SjfDdYG34

Passed Horatio on my last visit to Santa Ana Round 1. Another 15 down!

A friend of mine is buying a house and found a DDR Extreme Japanese cabinet that's all original. Just needs a monitor, and I know where to source one in town.

Hoping that she'll let me play on it more than the last guy I helped repair a machine for.

Sorry to double post, but my friend's cabinet made it into town!

Some Notes:
- The cabinet itself is in really good condition. Not a lot of scratches, dents, etc.
- The marquee section got bumped hard during shipment. Marquee plexiglass is shattered, luckily the Marquee itself is still in mint (for a DDR machine condition. Base of the marquee unit is all bent, but I can hammer that back down I think. Still connects to the cab fine.
- It is an authentic Japanese Extreme cabinet, but it's got some odd mods / things to it. The stickers are from slightly different versions, someone modded the marquee lighting for LEDs it looks like.
- Cabinet is missing the back fan and the grill that goes with it. Might make a new one out of a fan grill and 12V fan.
- Sound wise, Highs and Mids are working fine, just no Lows. Didn't get to look and see if anything's unplugged.
- The "new" CRT I sourced worked perfectly, so that works for now. Not sure what to do with the old one, but I want to find a shop that can fix it as it's probably the cheapest replacement option for my friend at this point.
- The Pads look solid, but they are GRIMY. we're talking a layer of dirt built up on the screws. Multiple layers of dust while opening them up.
- I/O tests indicate either sensors or Pad I/O boards are failing. Which is not necessarily a cheap fix but it's not as pricey as a new cab.

Some Photos:

Next Steps:
- Clean the Pads. The cab is clean luckily. Preparing to have to remove stripped screws
- Fix the marquee, see how the lighting setup works and if I can replace it with something cleaner.
- Fix the bass. Found an amp for cheap that should be waiting for me at home.
- Fix the pad sensor issues. Cleaning and reseating the L Brackets + foam mods should be enough, but if not I have a pair of Pad I/O boards coming in.
- Consider where to go after that. LED mods, countersinking screws, etc.

I probably shouldn't be putting this much effort into and be this excited about a machine that I don't even own, but I want to keep these things alive. Especially with my friend being such an avid DDR fan. One day I'll have my own.

DDR has its own amp that is highly servicable. You should not be trying to replace it. (You're also in for bad times if you attempt it, as the DDR amp also controls the cabinet lighting.) It could be something as dumb as a cable to the subwoofer pot having come loose.

I actually have an extra amp, but I've literally never seen one fail. Every audio related failure I've experienced on a DDR cab was due to upstream causes, normally power related.

DDR has its own amp that is highly servicable. You should not be trying to replace it. (You're also in for bad times if you attempt it, as the DDR amp also controls the cabinet lighting.) It could be something as dumb as a cable to the subwoofer pot having come loose.

I actually have an extra amp, but I've literally never seen one fail. Every audio related failure I've experienced on a DDR cab was due to upstream causes, normally power related.

Good to know. I'm assuming because all cab lighting and audio is good outside of the sub, that it just came unplugged.

But when I ordered the Pad I/O boards, the amp was tossed in for free so worst case I can swap it out. Just wanted to cover my bases.

Dumb question... but you tried turning the subwoofer knob in the service door, right?

Yep yep, not even a hum when it's maxed out. This weekend or next I'll take a crack at seeing if anything's unplugged.

Labor day weekend is when we plan to clean the pads and all. Got new 3D printed L bracket Spacers and screws ordered since I'm betting they're all way too tight.

I really dislike double posting, but it's been almost a month with no responses so:

Put in the L-Bracket spacers (the ones I ordered online came a week after we did this, luckily there's a new place in town that did it for a decent price) and we foam & tape modded the pads.

The owner doesn't want pads countersunk, LED mods, etc. because they want to keep it as close to the arcade as possible.

But, it's gone from nigh unplayable to rather playable, maybe perfect with some more tape modding in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty proud of our work tbh.

Still no clue what's up with the bass, and the owner is still looking for the screw in bulbs on the spotlights. I think one of the spotlight screws is stripped so that might be fun.

Amazing enough, no pad screws were stripped.

Top Bottom