• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade racing fans are currently enjoying an embarrassment of riches

TimmiT

We don't have WipEout, SEGA arcade racers, Burnout etc. anymore. I'd say it's actually pretty bad right now for anyone who enjoys those kinds of more out there arcade racers. Games like Forza Horizon 2 and Driveclub look like realistic racers with simplified handling, and while I don't think they're bad games they're not near what I would really want out of an arcade racer.

No worries, you do that. It's sad if people are going to skip Horizon 2 and DC because they're 30FPS. Do you guys actually play games or just count frames?

No we just like having the games in which we go fast run fast as well. Also while racing games these days (including Forza Horizon and Driveclub) do make it less noticeable, there can be a pretty big difference in input lag between 30fps and 60fps. Like I own WipEout HD Fury for PS3 and WipEout 2048 for Vita, the former runs at 60fps and the latter at 30fps. The former is a lot more playable for me than the latter.

Jibbed

Related; would a MotorStorm appreciation thread go down well?

I'm tempted.

We don't have WipEout, SEGA arcade racers, Burnout etc. anymore. I'd say it's actually pretty bad right now for anyone who enjoys those kinds of more out there arcade racers. Games like Forza Horizon 2 and Driveclub look like realistic racers with simplified handling, and while I don't think they're bad games they're not near what I would really want out of an arcade racer.

Agh, don't remind me :(

nkarafo

No worries, you do that. It's sad if people are going to skip Horizon 2 and DC because they're 30FPS. Do you guys actually play games or just count frames?
We play games yes. But we also have some standards. At least i do. I already played so many arcade racers at 60fps during the 6th gen, can't go back to the slow, juddering 30fps ones, especially now that we have more powerful consoles and they do this on purpose, as a "design choice" like they say.

I'm not going to support these lower standards. Even if i wanted, i couldn't because the stuttering doesn't let me have fun in a fast paced driving game anymore. This is not the N64/PS1 era.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
We play games yes. But we also have some standards. At least i do. I already played so many arcade racers at 60fps during the 6th gen, can't go back to the slow, juddering 30fps ones, especially now that we have more powerful consoles and they do this on purpose, as "design choice".

I'm not going to support these lower standards. Even if i wanted, i wouldn't because the stuttering doesn't let me have fun in a fast paced driving game.

What a sad life you must live.

leng jai

We play games yes. But we also have some standards. At least i do. I already played so many arcade racers at 60fps during the 6th gen, can't go back to the slow, juddering 30fps ones, especially now that we have more powerful consoles and they do this on purpose, as a "design choice" like they say.

I'm not going to support these lower standards. Even if i wanted, i couldn't because the stuttering doesn't let me have fun in a fast paced driving game.

Genuine question, have you played Forza Horizon 2 or DC? They're the smoothest 30FPS games I've ever experienced. Both games would be radically different design wise if they were 60fps I think, especially Driveclub.

T.O.P

Banned
As a racing fan i'm pretty damn happy, still playing F5 from time to time

I spent a ton of time on Horizon 2 already and i'm just now learning to love Driveclub as well

And off course, MK8 when i have friend over is a must

I only need a new NFS Underground 2 and it would all be perfect :(

@if you didn't play either FH2 or Driveclub because of 30fps, shame on you

TimmiT

Guys remember when arcade racers actually had a variety of environments and didn't just try to look realistic. Those were fun times.

I mean, Driveclub looks really impressive graphically, especially with those weather effects. But I miss it when these games looked more colourful and had more varied locations.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm not sure if having 2 games out right now is "better than ever;" pretty sure at some point we had 3-4 good arcade racing games out, particularly late PS2/Xbox gen

TimmiT

Genuine question, have you played Forza Horizon 2 or DC? They're the smoothest 30FPS games I've ever experienced. Both games would be radically different design wise if they were 60fps I think, especially Driveclub.

Arcade racers were never known for having realistic graphics. Driveclub and Forza Horizon 2 are more like realistic racing games with simplified controls than racing games you'd see in arcades.

nkarafo

Genuine question, have you played Forza Horizon 2 or DC?
I don't have a current console (yet) so no. But i got fed up by the PS3/360 gen and the lack of 60fps racing games. Now i have already invested on a PC. And now i enjoy some last gen games at 60fps (like Dirt2, NFS Shift, Grid series etc). I really couldn't enjoy these games on my 360.

Also, i prefer "linear" racing games. I don't care about exploration when i drive at 200km/hour. Exploration works better on foot, taking my own sweet time etc.

leng jai

I'm not sure if having 2 games out right now is "better than ever;" pretty sure at some point we had 3-4 good arcade racing games out, particularly late PS2/Xbox gen

There was probably a point when we had PGR4, Burnout and Wipeout out at the same time.

Armaly

I think the best year for racing games was in 2005. Midnight Club 3, Gran Turismo 4, and Need for Speed Most Wanted.

Krejlooc

Banned
can't believe Op mentioned Mario Kart instead of sonic racing transformed. sonic racing transformed is much more of an arcade racer than Mario Kart.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That said, stylized arcade racers, like from real arcades, are becoming extinct.

90s Arcade Racer is coming out next year, looks like a current gen Dreamcast game

9be02f5cea24559c24c270633c8e24c0_large.jpg

Drift Stage has great art style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjOp6wGaeTY

driftstage4.jpg

'90s Arcade racer looks very nice in still shots. I'm not holding my breath for a release though.

Drift Stage is the ugliest racing game I've ever seen. Talk about a shitty art style. It gives Gran Chaser a run for its money, but at least that game was handicapped by the hardware.

HTupolev

Also, i prefer "linear" racing games. I don't care about exploration when i drive at 200km/hour. Exploration works better on foot, taking my own sweet time etc.
FH2 has an open world, but Driveclub uses nothing but closed circuits and point-to-point.

I would absolutely love a Blur sequel. Loved it. Game had an identity and style all of its own.

I am pretty sure they talked about developing it into a successful, ongoing series. Now Bizarre has gone, I doubt that'll ever happen.

Tagyhag

Maybe I played the wrong arcade racers, but the games were more about the gameplay and sense of speed than graphics and weather.

F-Zero, you're the only one that understands me!

leng jai

Honestly Driveclub feels pretty arcade to me - it's the realistic aesthetic that throws people off. The game has a kudos system, leaderboards, no open world, no tuning, a forgiving handling model and none of the superfluous fluff in its presentation.

Neither Horizon 2 or Driveclub are "arcade" racing games in the pure sense, tho. They are nothing like Sega Rally or Ridge Racer or Daytona or Scud Race.

If you had a scale and on one end was "Arcade" and the other was "Sim" with 100 points in-between, just being an absolute value with 50 as the midway, both of those games would teeter like around 80+near "Sim".

nkarafo

FH2 has an open world, but Driveclub uses nothing but closed circuits and point-to-point.
Honestly Driveclub feels pretty arcade to me - it's the realistic aesthetic that throws people off. The game has a kudos system, leaderboards, no open world, no tuning, a forgiving handling model and none of the superfluous fluff in its presentation.
Ok so what is DC's excuse for running only at 30fps?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Arcade racers were never known for having realistic graphics. Driveclub and Forza Horizon 2 are more like realistic racing games with simplified controls than racing games you'd see in arcades.

Actually they were for their time. The cool part was the fictional tracks they usually raced on which were fifty times more fun than real courses.

Shaneus

It doesn't matter, 30fps always sucks! Don't you ever watch TV and think "I can't believe they're only broadcasting at 30fps"?

Compare Sega Rally to the nearest sim at the time:
Arcade (Sega Rally):
tFzQ0T6l.jpg

"Realistic" (IndyCar Racing, PC):
XwjyOgy.jpg

Are you kidding me? Are you really kidding me?

We don't have an embarrassment of riches of arcade racers, we have Mario Kart, and all the other games you consider arcade racers are either racing games with grinding (so much for a game needing to be fun for you to enjoy it) or glorified tech demos with mediocre gameplay behind it.

We got Mario Kart 8 the past few years and maybe a couple of indie games some of which aren't released yet. That's it. Your definition of arcade racing games is wrong.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
As a fan of actual arcade racers the OP is just depressing to read.

On the plus side, Daytona USA 2 emulation in supermodel has been vastly improved in the past year and I've been having a ton of fun with it, so yay!

leng jai

Ok so what is DC's excuse for running only at 30fps?

The weather system probably. They also probably didn't want a variable frame rate. There's a distinction between 60FPS and locked 60FPS. The latter always requires significant sacrifices on console hardware.

Are you kidding me? Are you really kidding me?

We don't have an embarrassment of riches of arcade racers, we have Mario Kart, and all the other games you consider arcade racers are either racing games with grinding (so much for a game needing to be fun for you to enjoy it) or glorified tech demos with mediocre gameplay behind it.

We got Mario Kart 8 the past few years and maybe a couple of indie games some of which aren't released yet. That's it. Your definition of arcade racing games is wrong.

Read the OP, I already corrected myself.

Nander

Drift Stage is the ugliest racing game I've ever seen.

Whaaat? I've never heard of the game before, but it is gorgeous! Also, the music is totally awesome!

However, based on that video it looks very floaty in a bad way. A bit like one of those mobile racing games where you control by tilting the phone and where you have little analogue control of the drifting.

nkarafo

It does look pretty good for the hardware it's on.
And FH2, which has an open world (which is used as an excuse for 30fps) doesn't look good?

The weather system probably. They also probably didn't want a variable frame rate. There's a distinction between 60FPS and locked 60FPS. The latter always requires significant sacrifices on console hardware.
Not having your arcade racing game running at 60fps is also a significant sacrifice. Like how they used to sacrifice frame rate to port racing games from arcades to Saturn or PS1.

Also, most 60fps racing games i ever played had steady, locked 60fps.

Top Bottom