• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade racing fans are currently enjoying an embarrassment of riches

nkarafo

OHkvN9S.gif
Yes.

Because having a realistic looking rain is more important than smooth frame rate, thus lower input lag, better control and sense of speed. In a racing game.

Also, too bad that this awesome looking effect loses much of its appeal thanks to the choppy frame rate.

Yes.

Because having a realistic looking rain is more important than smooth frame rate, thus lower input lag, better control and sense of speed. In a racing game.

Also, too bad that this awesome looking effect loses much of its appeal thanks to the stuttering frame rate.

I don't think i've seen anyone complain about the sense of speed in DRIVECLUB. That's not tied to framerate.

Nokterian

Yes.

Also, too bad that this awesome looking effect loses much of its appeal thanks to the stuttering frame rate.

What? The framerate never drops..ever it is stable even with all the heavy weather for a 30fps game it runs butter smooth and the sense of speed is really really good. Clearly your talking out of your ass here since you didn't play it or didn't read digital foundry doing there tests.

Yes.

If you think that solid 30FPS is "stuttering" then you need to get off your high horse. The difference is only noticable for me when I've been playing a 60FPS game minutes prior.

leng jai

Yes.

How about playing the game before posts like these? I've never seen anyone, even on Neogaf, complain about Driveclub's sense of speed or input lag.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I can already tell that you and I will never be friends.

Because I have great taste in art style? C'mon man, you can't tell me that shit is good looking.

You want beauty look no further than Sega's Model 2 and Naomi racers. Super GT and Outrun 2 shit all over that hideous orange and blue abortion.

Game4life

Banned
Yes.

Lol. It never drops frames. Rock solid 30 and never wavers. Dirt 2 at 60fps wishes it had the sense of speed of Drive Club. Then again you have made up your mind so does not matter.

Shaneus

Yes.

Oh no, you don't have an agenda. Not at all.

Have you seen videos of Driveclub? Did you watch the DF analysis? There is literally zero frame drop in it. "Stuttering" my arse.

nkarafo

If you think that solid 30FPS is "stuttering" then you need to get off your high horse. The difference is only noticable for me when I've been playing a 60FPS game minutes prior.
For you.

I wish my eyes were as forgiving as yours. I really do. You think i wouldn't prefer to enjoy more racing games?

nkarafo

What? The framerate never drops..ever it is stable even with all the heavy weather. Clearly your talking out of your ass here since you didn't play it or didn't read digital foundry doing there tests.
Who said the frame rate drops???

Have you seen videos of Driveclub? Did you watch the DF analysis? There is literally zero frame drop in it. "Stuttering" my arse.
What are you smoking? I never said anything about "drops". 30fps in a racing game is "stuttering" by default.

Tagyhag

I don't think i've seen anyone complain about the sense of speed in DRIVECLUB. That's not tied to framerate.

Oh man, play F-Zero GX at 30fps and see how terrible and slow it will feel.

DC has a good sense of speed, but it would be even better at 60, I don't see how anyone could deny that.

Arcade doesn't need to mean "point and boost," but NFS is taking care of that now. Isn't it made B the Burnout guys.

Personally, I hated all of the silly arcade crash'em UPS where you boost your way into epic collisions.

PGR was my favorite balance of SIM and arcade, and I couldn't B happier with FH2. If racing games weren't such a niche, it could win game of the year.

Nokterian

Who said the frame rate drops???

What are you smoking? I never said anything about "drops". 30fps in a racing game is "stuttering" by default.

Fuck no stop talking out of your ass there is NO stuttering it is butter smooth and rock solid 30fps. You didn't watch the video's or didn't go to eurogamer for there digital foundry for driveclub. Look i also want 60fps as everyone does but Evo Studios did a amazing job with driveclub.

Yes.

yougothimmanyougothim3dklw.gif

1. DC has one of the best sense of speed in racers
2. DC doesn't have stuttering frame rate, the game is silky smooth

nkarafo

Fuck no stop talking out of your ass there is NO stuttering it is butter smooth and rock solid 30fps. You didn't watch the video's or didn't go to eurogamer for there digital foundry for driveclub.
Why would i watch a video? Why you assume i haven't seen it running on real hardware?

Also "butter smooth" and "30fps"... what an oxymoron.

I can't say that this thread turning into another 60fps borefest was entirely unexpected.

well, the thread reached its natural conclusion of "what the hell are you talking about things were way better in both of the past two decades" so where else was it supposed to go

leng jai

Your fault. You said "arcade racing fans have it better". And i only stated the reason of why this is wrong.

So framerate is a defining aspect of "having it good" in a game I guess.

well, the thread reached its natural conclusion of "what the hell are you talking about things were way better in both of the past two decades" so where else was it supposed to go

Well yeah, even without my wonky definition of arcade racers 60FPS was bound to come up.

KAOS

I Absolutely love Forza Horizon 2. It's one of my favorite games period!!! And yes IMO it is an arcade racer!

Nokterian

Why would i watch a video? Why you assume i haven't seen it running on real hardware?

Also "butter smooth" and "30fps"... what an oxymoron.

Your post doesn't make any sense since you haven't played it by the looks of it. That's why i say stop talking out of your ass. I have played almost 40 hours with it no stuttering,no framerate drops..runs smooth even with 30fps like i said clearly you didn't hear it so i say it again it runs smooth with all the dynamic weather.

Came into this thread wondering what I've been missing, left disappointed. I liked the Forza Horizon 2 demo enough to want to buy the game eventually, but 'arcade' was the furthest thing from my mind.

Sonic Transformed is the closest thing to a modern arcade racer imo, even when taking most of the games from last gen into consideration. Hopefully that 90s arcade racer thing turns out well.

nkarafo

no stuttering,no framerate drops..runs smooth even with 30fps like i said clearly you didn't hear
Oh no, i "heard" well. But you still can't understand that i never said anything about frame rate drops. I said that 30fps, even if its solid, its not smooth. That's what i said.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I Absolutely love Forza Horizon 2. It's one of my favorite games period!!! And yes IMO it is an arcade racer!

Yeah, as someone who cant stand sim racers, FH2 is definitely arcade enough to be in the genre. It's a lot more forgiving in it's handling, which I think is the defining factor between sim and arcade. But game genres in general are so arcane and dated these days..

leng jai

Your indifference to framerate shows that your definition of arcade racing differs from a lot of other people here.

I'm not indifferent to framerate, the three games mentioned in the OP are all fine in that regard. I'm against people who just come in to every thread and spew the "60fps or nothing" rhetoric without context and sometimes without even playing said games.

How about playing the game before posts like these? I've never seen anyone, even on Neogaf, complain about Driveclub's sense of speed or input lag.

There's a reason for that.

The game was designed for 30fps, so all the graphical and controller tweaks have been done with 30fps in mind, meaning you get a responsive game that doesn't run at 60fps. I know it's hard for some people to contemplate, but 60fps is not the only way to achieve a responsive, smooth game.

RM8

Not arcade racers, though :[ So far it seems like it's up to MK8, Drift Stage and 90s Arcade Racer.

Asphalt games are okay, but they turned 8 into a nasty wallet-grabbing F2P game and it sucks, so not even mobile is safe, lol.

Moofers

That said, stylized arcade racers, like from real arcades, are becoming extinct.

90s Arcade Racer is coming out next year, looks like a current gen Dreamcast game

9be02f5cea24559c24c270633c8e24c0_large.jpg

I want this. This is what a REAL arcade styled racer looks like. I need this to actually come out and be a thing already!

You still don't get it. Nevermind.

Fairly sure you're the one who doesn't get it.

30FPS =/= unresponsive
30FPS =/= stuttering

If the framerate is solid, it isn't stuttering at all by definition. It might not be as smooth as 60FPS, but guess what? The first Forza Horizon, a 30FPS game, was praised for how responsive it was, because, believe it or not, hardware can process things faster than those 30 frames they're outputting. The control system responds just as quick as a 60FPS game in the Horizon series.

Flappy

Banned
Are you kidding? We are in the Arcade Racer dark ages.

No Sega Rally, no Daytona USA, no new Ridge Racer. It's a like a graveyard :(

Being the currently most beautiful Retail Game doesn't count in here!

inb4 haters - Go into the Gif thread of DC - NOTHING comes close to it.Even PC Racing Games have no chance against DriveClub+Weather Patch ;)

The problem is, graphics do not equal interesting gameplay. In Driveclub's case, it doesn't touch Forza 5's simulation and it fails as an arcade racer because it so so touchy and lifeless beyond the pretty pixels. FH2 buries it, not in graphics, but in game modes and interesting stuff to do, as well as actually being more fun to just drive.

No one playing FH2 talks about shaving seconds off times or just how beautiful it is. It's about all of the stuff you can do and how fun it is to drive. Forza 5 is the game designed to shave seconds off and to delve into the depth of tuning and upgrading your cars (which can't be done in DC), as well as in-depth [painting of cars (also, something DC skips).

Basically, Driveclub is a fun game, but it falls so short of what Microsoft did with both Forza games that it really shouldn't be in the same discussion. And it wouldn't if Sony hadn't dropped the ball in getting GT6 ready for the PS4 and Driveclub had not been delayed until it released a week within FH2. When that happened, a core of gamers felt like they had to justify Driveclub as being bigger and better than it was ever meant to be.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Arcade racing fans can't be in heaven without Burnout. Where's my Burnout, EA?
Yeah, I think this end of the racing game spectrum has been kind of lacking for a long, long time. Seems like a lot of games seem to be targeting more of the middle lately.

Though, if I'm honest, I don't really enjoy many of those ultra-fast games besides Burnout. How the fuck there isn't a Paradise 2 is beyond me.

Top Bottom