• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade racing fans are currently enjoying an embarrassment of riches

Are you kidding? We are in the Arcade Racer dark ages.

No Sega Rally, no Daytona USA, no new Ridge Racer. It's a like a graveyard :(

I think you are dead on. The problem is, the market for those games has dried up. They really aren't worth anything more than $15 downloadable titles anymore.

nkarafo

Please tell me what i missed then hm? Your the one who is complaining about something you do not believe how well it runs.
Its simple. In your eyes 30fps looks smooth. In my eyes it doesn't. This is a different thing than being solid or not.

Zelda 64 runs at solid 20fps. No frame drops. That doesn't make it smooth though because... its 20fps (which, for the time was good enough btw, no problem). However, 30fps was a standard during the PS1/N64/Saturn days because the consoles weren't powerful enough to bring the smooth arcade experience. 6th gen console brought that smooth experience in our homes but 7th gen (and the current one so far) went back to the N64/PS1/SAT days again.

So, after i got used to the smooth experience i can't go back again. That's why 30fps is not smooth for me today, with the current hardware. I don't have a problem with old games looking aged or running at bad frame rates but when i play a modern game my standards are different.

Tagyhag

I'm not indifferent to framerate, the three games mentioned in the OP are all fine in that regard. I'm against people who just come in to every thread and spew the "60fps or nothing" rhetoric without context and sometimes without even playing said games.

Then I guess lower standards would be a better term. Not saying that's a bad thing! Just that some people do expect more out of certain genres.

But I do agree that someone should play something before calling it unplayable or bad.

Seanspeed

Banned
Do you watch TV and think the video stutters?
While I'm not agreeing with the guy, yea, I really do notice stuttering watching TV and movies nowadays. I'm far more sensitive to framerates after getting so used to playing everything at 60fps and slow panning camera shots in shows and film look horribly stuttery at times.

As foe Driveclub, I think it gets away with 30fps better than most games, but I cant say its buttery smooth. Nothing is buttery smooth at 30fps.

The problem is, graphics do not equal interesting gameplay. In Driveclub's case, it doesn't touch Forza 5's simulation and it fails as an arcade racer because it so so touchy and lifeless beyond the pretty pixels. FH2 buries it, not in graphics, but in game modes and interesting stuff to do, as well as actually being more fun to just drive.

No one playing FH2 talks about shaving seconds off times or just how beautiful it is. It's about all of the stuff you can do and how fun it is to drive. Forza 5 is the game designed to shave seconds off and to delve into the depth of tuning and upgrading your cars (which can't be done in DC), as well as in-depth [painting of cars (also, something DC skips).

Basically, Driveclub is a fun game, but it falls so short of what Microsoft did with both Forza games that it really shouldn't be in the same discussion. And it wouldn't if Sony hadn't dropped the ball in getting GT6 ready for the PS4 and Driveclub had not been delayed until it released a week within FH2. When that happened, a core of gamers felt like they had to justify Driveclub as being bigger and better than it was ever meant to be.
I think you're completely misrespresenting or misunderstanding what Driveclub is. The fact the entire system is set up as competition between yourself and other clubs makes shaving a second (or getting a few extra points in drifting) the real meat of the game. It's one of the most basic, straight to the point, racing games there is, but that's the entire point of it. It's not amount going through endless menus, it's about being on the track as quickly as possible.

Nokterian

Its simple. In your eyes 30fps looks smooth. In my eyes it doesn't. This is a different thing than being solid or not.

Zelda 64 runs at solid 20fps. No frame drops. That doesn't make it smooth though because... its 20fps (which, for the time was good enough btw, no problem). However, 30fps was a standard during the PS1/N64/Saturn days because the consoles weren't powerful enough to bring the smooth arcade experience. 6th gen console brought that smooth experience in our homes but 7th gen (and the current one so far) went back to the N64/PS1/SAT days again.

So, after got used to the smooth experience i can't go back again. That's why 30fps is not smooth for me today, with the current hardware. I don't have a problem with old games looking aged or running at bad frame rates but when i play a modern game my standards are different.

2she.jpg

Clearly you never played Driveclub and just complaining because you do not believe how well it runs and how smooth it runs. I play on PC and PS4 i can see a difference and Driveclub is running rock solid 30fps and sense of speed is amazing like others said in this thread i agree with them but not with you because your just complaining about something you haven't played at all.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Getting back to arcade game talk I hope Microsoft remembers that they own Hydro Thunder, and brings out another sequel for the Bone. Hurricane was pretty good.

nkarafo

Clearly you never played Driveclub and just complaining because you do not believe how well it runs and how smooth it runs. I play on PC and PS4 i can see a difference and Driveclub is running rock solid 30fps and sense of speed is amazing like others said in this thread i agree with them but not with you because your just complaining about something you haven't played at all.
Jesus christ, please get it.

leng jai

The problem is, graphics do not equal interesting gameplay. In Driveclub's case, it doesn't touch Forza 5's simulation and it fails as an arcade racer because it so so touchy and lifeless beyond the pretty pixels. FH2 buries it, not in graphics, but in game modes and interesting stuff to do, as well as actually being more fun to just drive.

No one playing FH2 talks about shaving seconds off times or just how beautiful it is. It's about all of the stuff you can do and how fun it is to drive. Forza 5 is the game designed to shave seconds off and to delve into the depth of tuning and upgrading your cars (which can't be done in DC), as well as in-depth [painting of cars (also, something DC skips).

Basically, Driveclub is a fun game, but it falls so short of what Microsoft did with both Forza games that it really shouldn't be in the same discussion. And it wouldn't if Sony hadn't dropped the ball in getting GT6 ready for the PS4 and Driveclub had not been delayed until it released a week within FH2. When that happened, a core of gamers felt like they had to justify Driveclub as being bigger and better than it was ever meant to be.

A lot of people would argue that Driveclub trumps Horizon 2 in the "fun to just drive" stakes. I don't really understand how Driveclub can be boring or "wrong" for having time based/leaderboard focused gameplay just because the handling model isn't realistic like mainline Forza. To me, they're two separate things. It's just as fun to master the handling of DC than it is for Forza, it's just a matter of taste.

Rizific

i consider myself a fan of racing games. having said that i feel that 30fps is not acceptable in this day and age for a racing game, or any game for that matter. when i first purchased my x1, i got horizon 2 with it. then found out it was 30fps and immediately exchanged it for forza 5. but now im starting to regret returning it as i keep seeing people praise it on here. also drive club looks amazing. im starting to think that ill just look past the 30fps part in favor of some solid track time.

jett

D-Member
I like 60fps as much as anyone but the 30fps implementations in both Horizon 2 and DC are sublime. Even NFS Rivals felt pretty smooth. We best be getting used to 30fps in this console generation outside of Forza/GT.

Rivals at 30fps is awful. I only found the PC version playable with the 60fps hack.

It's a shitty game anyway.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm a pretty casual racing fan but having both DC and FH2 has been great. At first I was comparing the two too much and playing the one I liked more better but over time I started appreciating them for what they offer. I spend so much time playing these two games. They're both great.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Eck. Not for me. One you have an open world driving game, not a racer. The other is a sort of sim. Give me a renaissance of Beetle Adventure Racing, Rush, and Burnout and then we can talk.

Krejlooc

Banned
Realistic weather affects gameplay so your interpretation of the answer is wrong.

You can have weather-affecting gameplay without reducing the game to 30 fps. Don't create a false dichotomy. If they've reduced the framerate in order to make things look better, then they chose graphics over gameplay.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Those same racing fans also would have to own all three next gen consoles to play each of them. No thanks

Just like the past then. You needed a Playstation for the Ridge Racer releases, and Sega sure wasn't putting Daytona and Sega Rally on other systems.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You can have weather-affecting gameplay without reducing the game to 30 fps. Don't create a false dichotomy. If they've reduced the framerate in order to make things look better, then they chose graphics over gameplay.
This irony and selective creation dualities will never leave racing game discussion, huh?

Man, it's absolute piss trying to discuss racing games nowadays. I feel like we need a Forza/GT-esque thread to contain the framerate fuckery that is toxic to pretty much any racing game thread.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
This thread is a nice kick in the nuts. Thanks for the reminder that there aren't any major arcade racing games in development these days. No, Horizon and Driveclub are not "arcade" racers.

Sayter

The only decent arcade racer so far this gen has been MK8. I hear Sonic All Stars Transformed is pretty good though.

Just like the past then. You needed a Playstation for the Ridge Racer releases, and Sega sure wasn't putting Daytona and Sega Rally on other systems.

Yes, but on the PlayStation alone you could have had Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Rollcage, Destruction Derby and probably others I have forgotten. On the N64 you had WaveRace, Mario Kart, Beetle Racing, F-Zero etc.

You didn't need more than one console to have a good selection of arcade racers.

Krejlooc

Banned
This irony and selective creation dualities will never leave racing game discussion, huh?

Man, it's absolute piss trying to discuss racing games nowadays. I feel like we need a Forza/GT-esque thread to contain the framerate fuckery that is toxic to pretty much any racing game thread.

It's not irony, it's the truth. You don't need realistic graphics to have realistic weather simulation.

Certinty

Despite its reviews I would also add The Crew to the list. Forza Horizon 2 offers a beautiful open world with great racing, Driveclub is an amazing track racing game with amazing visuals and The Crew offers by far the best open world in any racing game ever and is an absolute joy to explore.

Sort of makes up for last year where there was a real drought of good arcade racing games. Personally I love all 3 games and couldn't be happier with each one.

DriveClub's too whingey to really be much an arcade racer for me. Scrape against a wall? Penalty. Go off-track for a second? Penalty. Bump into another car? Penalty. CPU crashes into you? Penalty.

Hey, someone should point out to the OP that Horizon 2 and Driveclub really aren't the arcade racers we've all come to know and love.

Oh...I see....

Very well then. Good job GAF. Carry on.

Read the OP, I already corrected myself.

I still completely disagree with your opinion. It's not a matter of correction, it's a matter of perspective. The examples you gave are not arcade racers, they're something else. Arcade racers were very focused fast and unforgiving experiences bright engaging visuals most of the time.

The gameplay of your examples are closer to arcade racers than anything else, but that doesn't make them arcade racers. It's the same thing as saying Call of Duty is an RPG because it borrows some elements from them. The track design, the car design, the level design, the speed, the engagement is worlds different from something like Scud Racer and any of the games you mentioned.

Like I said, the closest thing we have is Mario Kart 8, but even that's not everyone's cup of tea.

GoaThief

Yes, both Horizon 2 and Driveclub are really good and fun games. Driving game fans have probably had the best start of the new generation of all types of gamers.
Pull the other one.

No legacy wheel support, no mid range wheels only bad/entry and crazy high end, only one sim (Forza 5) and only one other upcoming as far as I'm aware (P CARS).

It's bad :-(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's not irony, it's the truth. You don't need realistic graphics to have realistic weather simulation.
"Graphics over gameplay" is an inherently bullshit notion in a visual mediums and probably the ultimate false dichotomy, and stems from a narrow-minded segregation of visuals from the control interaction. Whether they be used for immersion, a cinematic experience, supplementing mechanics, driving narrative, complementing audio, etc. there is always a significant level of interplay. Then again, you usually see this sort of intolerance from people who believe stuff at 30fps is "unplayable" or hyperbole of the sort. It's just toxic to discussion, and does nothing but make people argue their rigid preferences as laws of the universe.

Krejlooc

Banned
"Graphics over gameplay" is an inherently bullshit notion in a visual mediums and probably the ultimate false dichotomy, and stems from a narrow-minded segregation of visuals from the control interaction.

No, in this instance, it's being used literally. They chose better graphics at the detriment of 60 fps gameplay. There is no segregation going on, considering my point of contention is that 60 fps visuals naturally affect the gameplay. I am affirming that gameplay and graphics go hand in hand - however in this instance they sacrificed a core component that affects gameplay for a superficial component of the graphics. Whatever visual effects they have that is reducing the framerate by half does not need to exist for weather simulation.

You can quit the melodramatic language, if anything is "toxic" it's your tone.

boxfresh

Neo Member
I'm enjoying DRIVECLUB right now a lot and I wish I could play Forza Horizon 2 but above everything else I want an Initial D Arcade Stage 7 AA X port and a new Ridge Racer reminiscent of the originals.

If they move over the old ports of Sega Rally, Daytona and OutRun to the newer consoles that would be awesome as well.

OP pls

Where are those arcade racers then? I love all racing games (I'm like jesus of racing games) but especially arcade racers.

Where is rollcage, extreme g, wipeout, rush, blur, sega rally, f zero etc etc?
Arcade racers are gone and you falsely proclaim them to be abundant, dick move.

I click on this thread expecting to read about some arcade racers I somehow missed and instead I read an ad for unrelated games...

Wow, the term "arcadey" is thrown out awfully loosely.

Give me a new Crusin, Hydro Thunder, San Fransisco Rush or Burnout anytime over what is currently available.

benzy

No, in this instance, it's being used literally. They chose better graphics at the detriment of 60 fps gameplay. There is no segregation going on, considering my point of contention is that 60 fps visuals naturally affect the gameplay. I am affirming that gameplay and graphics go hand in hand - however in this instance they sacrificed a core component that affects gameplay for a superficial component of the graphics. Whatever visual effects they have that is reducing the framerate by half does not need to exist for weather simulation.

You can quit the melodramatic language, if anything is "toxic" it's your tone.

No, people are blowing 30fps in a racing game out of proportion. The handling physics are updated at a much higher framerate than the game graphics, this goes for FH2 as well, you're getting much more precise input from controls and steering than a gen or two ago on a ps2/xbox racer that ran at 30fps where those physics were actually updating at 30fps. There is no graphics over gameplay when the game actually has very precise handling. Anyone saying otherwise are talking out of their ass because they've obviously haven't played either FH2 or DC. The gameplay controls in these racers are the complete opposite of a 30fps action game like Heavenly Sword or Lord of Shadows where the control input was complete shit.

Top Bottom